Pulse Pounding Adventures - Pulp and Film Serial Discussion

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Batgirl III

Re: Pulse Pounding Adventures - Pulp and Film Serial Discussion

Post by Batgirl III »

I almost want to be disappointed by the lack of a certain chiropteran-themed vigilante in the ranks.

But, you've got Zorro, the Shadow, the Phantom, the Spider, and the Green Hornet in the line-up... So, yeah. That should do nicely.

(Also, I think I spy the Avenger in your line-up [between the Phantom and Flash Gordon] but he's not named on your roster.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 am I almost want to be disappointed by the lack of a certain chiropteran-themed vigilante in the ranks.

But, you've got Zorro, the Shadow, the Phantom, the Spider, and the Green Hornet in the line-up... So, yeah. That should do nicely.
Bruce will make an appearance, as will Clark. While some of the choices might seem odd (Billy, Diana, Steve, T'Chaka, Joseph, Jonathan, Charlotte, etc.) to include with the Pulp and Pulp-inspired heroes, there will be a reason for everyone I've got as a main character. I mean, beyond the fact that I'm a crossover junkie.
(Also, I think I spy the Avenger in your line-up [between the Phantom and Flash Gordon] but he's not named on your roster.)
Well spotted. Not sure how I forgot him, but I went back and edited his name in.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

So your main lead's are Captain Marvel, Miss Victory and the Rocketeer. While everybody else get's a fair shake, but are relegated to Support Roles...
That can work.
Also a little upset you ain't got Jonah Hex or The Vigilante(Greg Saunders) in there.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:05 am So your main lead's are Captain Marvel, Miss Victory and the Rocketeer. While everybody else get's a fair shake, but are relegated to Support Roles...
That can work.
What? Where did you get that idea? The trio are above everyone because they can fly under their own power, not because they're going to get any special treatment. If anyone could be considered the main lead, its Doc Savage, and then only because he's the overall leader of the heroes, while Sun Kho acts as the main leader of the villains.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 am
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:05 am So your main lead's are Captain Marvel, Miss Victory and the Rocketeer. While everybody else get's a fair shake, but are relegated to Support Roles...
That can work.
What? Where did you get that idea? The trio are above everyone because they can fly under their own power, not because they're going to get any special treatment. If anyone could be considered the main lead, its Doc Savage, and then only because he's the overall leader of the heroes, while Sun Kho acts as the main leader of the villains.
Ah, i thought it was cause you liked them better.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 am
Ares wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 am
That can work.
Ah, i thought it was cause you liked them better.
I mean, it's not an unfair assessment since my Captain Marvel fanboyism reaches near-religious levels at times. But nope, just a way to save some space by having the flying characters hovering above and behind everyone else . . . even though the Rocketeer can't technically hover. And yes, this means that Wonder Woman can't fly on her own in this continuity.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Anybody here know any decent Pulp-style TV shows? Closest i can remember is Buck Rogers in the 24th Centry but the Lead's a total Tool, so i don't want to give him my money...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:07 am Anybody here know any decent Pulp-style TV shows? Closest i can remember is Buck Rogers in the 24th Centry but the Lead's a total Tool, so i don't want to give him my money...
Maybe:

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Loik's awesome! How much on Amazon?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:07 am Anybody here know any decent Pulp-style TV shows? Closest i can remember is Buck Rogers in the 24th Centry but the Lead's a total Tool, so i don't want to give him my money...
Tales of the Gold Monkey is, hands down, the gold standard for television shows with a “pulp” feel, specifically the “two-fisted adventurer” style.

If you can track down The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles definitely give them a watch. They’re equal parts “boy’s own adventure” stories about Indy as a child and “two-fisted adventurer” stories about Indy as a teen. Plus excellent history lessons built in to every episode (seriously, they used to sell special versions of them to schools for classroom use).

Zorro (also known as The New Zorro and New World Zorro) ran for four seasons starting in 1990, it’s probably my favorite adaptation of the swashbuckler on the small screen... and Zorro is bonafide pulp royalty.

Veronica Mars takes the film noir private detective story and sets it in a modern California high school... and makes it work damn well. If your preferred flavor of pulp skews towards the Dashiell Hammett end of the spectrum, you’ll probably enjoy it.

The Sci-Fi Channel had a single season Flash Gordon tv show in 2007-08. I haven’t seen it, so no promises about the quality, but it’s Flash Gordon...

If you’re willing to inject a lot of humor into your pulp, look to the output of Sam Rami’s Renaissance Pictures. Sam Rami (along with brother Ted Rami and best friend for life Bruce Campbell) makes a lot shows that mix pulp and camp. Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and it’s more popular spin-off [s]Xena: Obviously Coded Lesbian[/s] Xena: Warrior Princess are equal parts “camp” and “pulp” in “swords and sorcery” style; Jack of All Trades was show in the same “camp” and “pulp” in a pirate swashbuckler style; and Ash vs. Evil Dead isn’t “pulp” but more “50’s horror comic” mixed with “camp,” but it’s fun in sort of the same way.
Last edited by Batgirl III on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 am Veronica Mars takes the film noir private detective story and sets it in a modern California high school... and makes it work damn well. If your preferred flavor of pulp skews towards the Dashiell Hammett end of the spectrum, you’ll probably enjoy it.
Only got to see the first season... But Keith Mars is my favorite character by far. :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:54 am
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 am Veronica Mars takes the film noir private detective story and sets it in a modern California high school... and makes it work damn well. If your preferred flavor of pulp skews towards the Dashiell Hammett end of the spectrum, you’ll probably enjoy it.
Only got to see the first season... But Keith Mars is my favorite character by far. :D
You mispelt Backup.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:56 am You mispelt Backup.
Let's just say this picture has my top two characters ;~)

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 am Tales of the Gold Monkey is, hands down, the gold standard for television shows with a “pulp” feel, specifically the “two-fisted adventurer” style.

If you can track down The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles definitely give them a watch. They’re equal parts “boy’s own adventure” stories about Indy as a child and “two-fisted adventurer” stories about Indy as a teen. Plus excellent history lessons built in to every episode (seriously, they used to sell special versions of them to schools for classroom use).

Zorro (also known as The New Zorro and New World Zorro) ran for four seasons starting in 1990, it’s probably my favorite adaptation of the swashbuckler on the small screen... and Zorro is bonafide pulp royalty.

Veronica Mars takes the film noir private detective story and sets it in a modern California high school... and makes it work damn well. If your preferred flavor of pulp skews towards the Dashiell Hammett end of the spectrum, you’ll probably enjoy it.

The Sci-Fi Channel had a single season Flash Gordon tv show in 2007-08. I haven’t seen it, so no promises about the quality, but it’s Flash Gordon...

If you’re willing to inject a lot of humor into your pulp, look to the output of Sam Rami’s Renaissance Pictures. Sam Rami (along with brother Ted Rami and best friend for life Bruce Campbell) makes a lot shows that mix pulp and camp. Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and it’s more popular spin-off [s]Xena: Obviously Coded Lesbian[/s] Xena: Warrior Princess are equal parts “camp” and “pulp” in “swords and sorcery” style; Jack of All Trades was show in the same “camp” and “pulp” in a pirate swashbuckler style; and Ash vs. Evil Dead isn’t “pulp” but more “50’s horror comic” mixed with “camp,” but it’s fun in sort of the same way.
What, no love for The Adventures of Brisco County jr.?
Shock

Post by Shock »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 am The Sci-Fi Channel had a single season Flash Gordon tv show in 2007-08. I haven’t seen it, so no promises about the quality, but it’s Flash Gordon...
Nope. That was not good