What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Voltron64

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Voltron64 »

Someone suggested some tweaks to the New Warriors characters.

Also, a redesign of Snowflake and Safe Space by someone else.

Or you could also call the two Fractal (because since power is generating a shuriken which is snowflake shaped, that form is called a fractal) and Safeguard.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Well will you look at that. Another case of Marvels boomers missing the point with an application of "well met fellow teen"

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/12411 ... 15776?s=09
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Oh cripes...you know, Marvel has a history of doing these "topical" characters/comics which turn out to be utter embarrassments.They do this at least once per decade.

Remember U.S.-1! From when trucking was cool?
Shock

Post by Shock »

If you think about it, Cloak and Dagger started off as "topical" characters. Hell, even Iron Man sort of was. So they don't all come out as failures.
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 am
Cinder wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:13 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 pm That's easily one of the worst things I've ever seen. It's just outright horrifically transphobic and insensitive.

Snowflake is an insult. And not one that a pair of cis men have the ability to 'reclaim'.
Sincerely, could you elaborate? I thought snowflake was just a general insult for someone who thinks they are unique but is not. I understand that the insult also has come to be used against one who is easily offended, especially if that person is perceived as being left politically. However I am unaware of it being a gender or sexuality insult.
saint_matthew wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:30 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 pmThat's easily one of the worst things I've ever seen. It's just outright horrifically transphobic and insensitive.
How exactly is it transphobic? don't get me wrong, this is the most "well met fellow teens" boomer misfire ever, but how is it transphobic exactly?
It is used very frequently as a specific insult against nonbinary people, which the character is apparently supposed to be, because of the common perception that nonbinary people are just trying to be unique for attention. They are not; they simply have a different experience of their gender.

It's also used against people on the aromantic and asexual spectra.

It'd be like calling a superhero F*ggot for fuck's sake.
I was not aware of that aspect. Admittedly, I don't hang around on sites or in places were people are intentionally getting insulted based on their gender identity.

I know the discussion was shut down, just wanted to say thanks for the answer.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

So Diamond just shut down due to the Wuhan Flu, which means comic shops will have zero new product on the shelf. This could very well end the western comic book industry.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I think that's being a bit dramatic. Missing a month or two isn't going to destroy the industry
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Being overdramatic about the upcoming death of the comic-book industry due to [insert cause of the week here] has been a popular pastime for certain online pundits for a while now. Whole bunch of them on YouTube like to blame the 'social justice warriors', and various modern comics that feature women or people of colour as protagonists.

In any case.

First: it's called the coronavirus, or COVID-19. It isn't even a type of flu. And while it was discovered in Wuhan, there's evidence that certain more severe seasonal 'flu' symptoms from the previous October in the United States may have been earlier cases of the virus. The World Health Organisation stopped naming diseases after their place of discovery for a reason, since it both encourages 'I'm not susceptible because I'm from [X]!' type thinking, and encourages retaliation against those who are from that region for supposedly 'spreading' the virus.

Secondly, DC Comics is already looking at replacing Diamond with a multi-distributor model, so there are actually plans in place. This is actually something that the industry has needed to do for a long while. A monopoly has been severely unhealthy for the industry, and is largely one of the biggest reasons why comic-book distribution and figures have been as fucked as they have lately. It's hard to tell how well your comic-books are doing when you're relying on a monopolised model that really only tracks physical comic-book preorders by dedicated comic-book stores, and not the actual sales of issues to customers or the performance of those comics as trade paperbacks in other bookstores.

Breaking the Diamond monopoly and replacing it with a better distribution model would quite possibly save the western comic-book industry if they play their cards right
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Well, whatever DC and Marvel do... I hope the world hold's China and the U.N. (specifically the WHO) accountable for the mess they caused.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Ken wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:15 amWell, whatever DC and Marvel do...
DC has apparently just announced a new distribution deal outside of Diamond, with new content to enter comic shops in the next 2 weeks.

More info can be found here https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/04/17/dc ... l-april-28

Here's hoping this not only saves the industry from going under, but also serves as a wake up call for the industry, but I wont hold my breathe.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Has production of content slowed down yet? I haven't been looking closely but Comixology seems to be moving along just fine with new books every week
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Shock wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:48 pmHas production of content slowed down yet? I haven't been looking closely but Comixology seems to be moving along just fine with new books every week
Completely stopped two weeks ago. There hasn't been a single new analogue book out, from DC, Marvel, IDW, Darkhorse & Image content for the last two weeks as far as I know. Digital I think from those publishers it's just that Batman cartoon tie in title as far as new content goes.

But if anyone is looking for a free read, you could always check out The Uniques, the first issue of which is free on drive thru comics right here. https://www.drivethrucomics.com/product ... ectors-Cut
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, there was a "Pencils Down" order apparently to stop all work on uncompleted books, and Diamond actually said they were stopped shipping books that they had in storage. I believe Diamond later agreed to ship some of the books they had in their warehouses, but the entire comic industry is supposedly on hold for the time being.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Ares wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:21 pm Yeah, there was a "Pencils Down" order apparently to stop all work on uncompleted books, and Diamond actually said they were stopped shipping books that they had in storage. I believe Diamond later agreed to ship some of the books they had in their warehouses, but the entire comic industry is supposedly on hold for the time being.
I don't understand that decision. It seems awfully shortsighted. I'm sure all the artists and writers are capable of working remotely. Probably most (if not all) of them do anyway. Why not keep the content coming even if it can't be physically distributed just yet?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Shock wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:43 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:21 pm Yeah, there was a "Pencils Down" order apparently to stop all work on uncompleted books, and Diamond actually said they were stopped shipping books that they had in storage. I believe Diamond later agreed to ship some of the books they had in their warehouses, but the entire comic industry is supposedly on hold for the time being.
I don't understand that decision. It seems awfully shortsighted. I'm sure all the artists and writers are capable of working remotely. Probably most (if not all) of them do anyway. Why not keep the content coming even if it can't be physically distributed just yet?
Part of it is Diamond refusing to ship books, part of it is a lack of money, part of it is how even more comic shops are potentially closing down for good, part of it is higher ups in the entertainment industry looking to save money, etc.

Turns out the comic industry was as unhealthy as some folks were saying.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.