What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Batgirl III

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:34 am Really there should be a group on Paradise Island devoted to her who are constantly tinkering with various gadgets, inventions and supertech, including the invisible jet, the purple healing ray and the like.
A deadly bee weapon.

Bees. My god.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:05 pm
NoOneofConsequence wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:34 am Really there should be a group on Paradise Island devoted to her who are constantly tinkering with various gadgets, inventions and supertech, including the invisible jet, the purple healing ray and the like.
A deadly bee weapon.

Bees. My god.
There's a reason movies like THEM!, The Birds and 1950's Attack of the Giant Bees still terrify me....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 pm
A deadly bee weapon.

Bees. My god.
There's a reason movies like THEM!, The Birds and 1950's Attack of the Giant Bees still terrify me....
But they shouldn’t terrify the Batman.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:59 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 pm

A deadly bee weapon.

Bees. My god.
But they shouldn’t terrify the Batman.
Well of COURSE they don't terrify Batman, he's "The G-D BATMAN!"...
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Really, I don't have a problem with the Batman being terrified. But he shouldn't let that stop him.

Green Lanterns on the other hand should be like "Eh, deadly bees, meet green RAID."
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There are lots of things that frighten the Batman (unless Grant Morrison is writing him), but bees shouldn’t be on that list... Certainly not to the point of leaving him dumbstruck at the sight of them.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I cannot see that panel and not hear it read in Nic Cage’s voice a la The Wicker Man remake.

Anyhoo, Amazons Attack was terrible. Let’s get back on topic.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What were we talking 'bout again? ;)
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

For years, we've struggled with the eternal question of "where the white women at?"

Now we finally know the answer: Working at Marvel.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Your not wrong on that.Also note there's no Dude with any Authority AT ALL in Marvel right now, which is TECHNICALLY still Discrimination on the basis of Sex. Take THAT SJW'S! :lol:
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:53 pm Your not wrong on that.Also note there's no Dude with any Authority AT ALL in Marvel right now, which is TECHNICALLY still Discrimination on the basis of Sex. Take THAT SJW'S! :lol:
I've said for years that the extreme left don't seem to realise that 'positive discrimination' is still discrimination.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

People with double standards are twice as moral as people who only have standards. That’s just maths.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:19 pm People with double standards are twice as moral as people who only have standards. That’s just maths.
:D
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:01 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:53 pm Your not wrong on that.Also note there's no Dude with any Authority AT ALL in Marvel right now, which is TECHNICALLY still Discrimination on the basis of Sex. Take THAT SJW'S! :lol:
I've said for years that the extreme left don't seem to realise that 'positive discrimination' is still discrimination.
Except I think the situation is more complicated than that.

If certain groups have been largely (obviously not entirely-there are always exceptions) excluded from a field for years, even generations, then simply dropping the gatekeeping of discrimination ISN'T going to rectify the matter. The same types of people will still be in all the hiring and decision making positions, and even absent any overt prejudices, those people will tend to hire people similar to those already working in the field, i.e., people more or less like them.

So preferential hiring (or affirmative action, if one must) is usually necessary for the situation to change, and workplaces to become more diverse.

But...this obviously comes with a couple drawbacks: first, it penalizes some in the majority group who've done nothing wrong, in order to correct past injustices; second, individuals may be hired primarily for diversity, rather than because of talent (note that past hiring decisions were often ALSO made due to social connections, nepotism, and majority group membership rather than skill level and aptitude).

Greycrusader does NOT pretend to have a good answer to these conundrums.

All my best.