DC Comics rumored to have a new 5G Initiative

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Shock

Re: DC Comics rumored to have a new 5G Initiative

Post by Shock »

Ares wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:45 pm This change to the DC Universe continuity comes after DiDio lamented that older fascimile issues sell better than a lot of their new comics.

“We do these Facsimile Editions where we reprint older issues of comics including all the old ads and stuff…and in some cases these are selling more than the new comics with these characters. People are more interested in buying the stories from 30 or 40 years ago than the contemporary stories, and that’s a failure on us.”
Anecdotally, one of my kids (10 years old) is into comics and he much prefers the older comics. He tears through the Spiderman Masterpiece collections on Comixology but rarely touches the newer books. From what I gather, he's much happier with stories that happen in the space of a single issue rather than the ones that drag on for months with little action to speak of. I find it hard to disagree with him.
saint_matthew

Re: DC Comics rumored to have a new 5G Initiative

Post by saint_matthew »

Shock wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:31 pmFrom what I gather, he's much happier with stories that happen in the space of a single issue rather than the ones that drag on for months with little action to speak of. I find it hard to disagree with him.
Oh it's more than that, though that is certainly a fairly major element of why people (not just your son) like the older reprints.... It's also because they are about the thing they are about. There is no bait and switch like there is with roughly 90% of contemporary comic books. When you pick up an older superhero comic you can be pretty safe in assuming it'll be about superheroes, superheroing.

When you pick up contemporary superhero comic, the only thing you can probably guarantee with some level of certainty is that it is NOT going to be about superheroes & there won't be any superheroing.