Avengers End Game

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Voltron64

Re: Avengers End Game

Post by Voltron64 »

In all honesty, I want to see the movie where Steve Rogers went to his alternate timeline to settle down with Peggy... and it lasted about ten minutes before he’d accidentally founded the 1950s Avengers/Agents of Atlas.

And by accidentally, I mean as he really meant to live quietly, but just couldn’t help himself.

First he gets Howard started on the idea of a suit of armor, then he rescues Bucky, then they find out the Feds have a guy locked us that says he’s from Uranus, and a fish lady, and a woman that thinks she’s Venus...

And let's not get started on the talking gorilla...

And as soon as a big disaster happens, Peggy tells him to call them.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

For me it was a mixed bag, I loved some of the humor but could not take the tanking of Thor and The Hulk. They diminished their characters so much. Almost in my opinion to wreck them for any further movies.
I would have not had a problem with Scarlet Witch doing the finishing blow on Thanos. It would have worked for me.

I for some reason cannot get behind Captain Marvel, I thing Spider-Man should be the face of the future MCU. I would love to know what Captain America did in his life, there is no way he lead a quiet life. His very core is to help.
My 2 cents worth. Have a great day everyone.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Overall I enjoyed the movie and for me it didn't really drag at any point which is impressive given it's run time.
While obviously I'd prefer Iron Man, Captain America and Black Widow to be in future movies I can understand why those character stories came to the end.

Here's what I didn't like...
1) Hulk not getting his rematch with Thanos and doing almost nothing physical during the entire movie, apparently his arm is now going to be permanently damaged as well. There was no real reason I could see for the Hulk to be in the movie, everything he did could've been done by other characters, why use a character such as the Hulk, known for being an almost unstoppable force of nature and relegate him to a weak background character, it makes no sense to me.

2) Thor, again he really didn't do much at all and while I usually love the humour in the MCU to make such as grandiose honourable legendary warrior a slapstick character (which began in Ragnarok) is frankly ridiculous. What's really annoying is that the directors actually gave us a glimpse of his potential power levels during the big final battle in Infinity war but for some reason he (like Hulk) showed almost nothing of the power/skill level we know he should have, I don't think he was even shown flying once. I actually don't mind the idea of him joining the Guardians so long as he gets some comic level respect in the future (though I'm not sure how much longer Hemsworth can play him given that the character is not supposed to visibly age)

3) The A-Force scene :roll: and Captain Mary-Sue destroying Thanos ship by herself.

4) Valkyrie as Queen of Asgard? really? I mean I know there was a five year gap but the last we saw of her she'd spent who knows how long as a slaver selling people into gladiatorial combat. As a character she hasn't really earned such a potentially powerful role in the narrative.
Also where was Sif? surely she'd be the better choice.

5) Falcon-Cap? nah for me Bucky is the right choice, he's a far better fighter, he's an actual super soldier with enhanced physical abilities (which also allows him to properly use the shield as Steve does) and he's been a part of the Cap story from the very beginning (Also, thinking about it on a purely practical level, given the way Falcon operates using his wings during flight and combat I'm pretty sure the shield would just get in the way). Sam chose the Falcon identity, it's who he is and it's his own. Bucky on the other hand didn't choose be the Winter Soldier it's an identity that was forced upon him (I assume he didn't choose the name 'White Wolf' either)
I would've actually liked to see the classic Captain America and Falcon partnership on screen even if it wasn't Steve as Cap.

6) I thought it was weird how Thanos stood up to the combined might of Iron Man, Thor and a Mjolnir powered Cap without taking any noticeable damage, especially so since Tony alone drew blood in the previous film.

As for the future of the MCU, well I'm not massively excited to be honest, the new 'faces' of the MCU (Cap Marvel, Black Panther) are the characters I find the least interesting, the BP movie was for me the most mediocre of the whole franchise (I haven't actually seen CM yet) and though Spider-Man: Homecoming wasn't a bad movie I just found it hugely underwhelming (despite loving the character in Civil War).

I'm hoping 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' will be more in line with the majority of the other MCU movies.
Oh and could we have at least some characters in the MCU who haven't seen Spider-Man without his mask or been within earshot when he's told someone his real name, that would be great ;)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Considering the number of scenes with just men and the initial dash with the gauntlet was by men, having a moment to go hey, we know we killed Black Widow, but look at who we do have.

I liked that moment, they did something, but the winning moment was not them. They did have a good showing but the focus was on the core three.

Hulk being the one to reverse the Snap actually makes sense. Previously, he had been the rage driven fighting machine, but now he was the one to bring everyone back. It portrays an evolution in his behaviour.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I haven't seen it yet but if you're counting the number of men and women in every scene looking for some slight against one group or another, I'm pretty sure you're missing the point.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Shock wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:01 pm I haven't seen it yet but if you're counting the number of men and women in every scene looking for some slight against one group or another, I'm pretty sure you're missing the point.
That's exactly what I thought after Infinity War was released, there were people that accused the movie of being racist because a higher percentage of black characters were killed. The fact that they even took the time to count instead of just enjoying the movie says volumes about their mental state.
Some also complained because Okoyo was not being explicitly confirmed as gay. Now because of a tiny minority of crusading idiots we've already began to get unnecessary virtue signalling about gay characters, we're going to end up with characters who's entire characterisation is that they're gay instead of great characters who just happen to be so.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

As long as characters end up as good characters who also happen to be gay, ethnic, etc. that'll be fine. Since they are using Marvel characters who tend not to be one dimensional, should not be a problem.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Corrigon wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:01 pm As long as characters end up as good characters who also happen to be gay, ethnic, etc. that'll be fine. Since they are using Marvel characters who tend not to be one dimensional, should not be a problem.
You haven't read the recent Marvel comics, then. The ones that have been constantly rebooted.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Nobody has really done any spoilers here, but I probably am so: If you haven't seen it yet you may want to avoid what I'm posting.

So finally watched it.

I enjoyed it, but the more I look back at it the more I wonder about certain choices.

Why set up the Hulk with a big arc and then cut it in the next movie?
Also, did the Hulk actually do any fighting? Now that I think back I can't remember him being involved in the big final fight. The poor guy seems to be getting pushed out of the movie as much as possible.

"Captain Marvel" feels shoehorned in, and I'm honestly surprised by how easy it would have been to write her out entirely.
Her big appearance late in the movie? I thought they were bringing in the Nova Corps and the space based people from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies for an epic space battle, so I was actually disappointed when it was just her showing up and one shotting a spaceship.
Cringed when they threw in a sequence of her no-selling a headbutt from Thanos right after Thor gets sent flying by the same attack.

Honestly can't remember how Thanos got rid of her.
More memorable was my wife booing and hissing every time that lady showed up on screen. ;~)

So, on that note, got to say this:
Enjoyed Black Widow, but she didn't get much time to shine. But she did shine.
I like that Pepper gets to be involved in the end.
I REALLY liked Scarlet Witch getting her moment in the sun (though I kind of wanted more, and she doesn't get a chance to really do anything in this movie)
Call me silly, but I did enjoy Gamora and Nebula.

But the painfully awkward moment where we get all of the female characters somehow showing up to the same place at the same time in a giant battlefield for the "woo, girl power!!!" group shot/moment was just painful.
It pulled me right out of the movie with how jarring it was and out of place it felt.
It felt less like giving the characters and opportunity to shine or kick ass, and more like Marvel trying to set up a scene so they can talk to the media about how they're pro-feminisim and pushing female heroes.

But really my issue is not that the scene was in the movie. My issue was that it was done so poorly.
At least make it seem like it wasn't a shot shoehorned in at the last minute.

Thor... I didn't like the direction they went in Ragnarok with Thor being the slapstick butt-monkey. Kind of felt like they wanted him to be Peter Quill instead of Thor. And now they're putting him in with Peter Quill. Having him going all the way down the depression hole wasn't exactly what I would have expected for the character either. I did enjoy his scene in Asgard.

Valkyrie. I didn't like her in Ragnarok. But I'm just gobsmacked by Thor trying to make her royalty. Why? Isn't there anybody else who could take up the role instead? I saw somebody mention Sif earlier, that seems like a better choice.

Peter Quill was in this movie just long enough to get kicked in the nuts three times (the last one was emotionally), and act pathetic when it becomes apparent he might not be the coolest kid in the room. He really gets no time to react to anything.

Peter Parker. He's here. He... barely gets a chance to speak.

Scarlet Witch. She's here. She barely gets a chance to kick Thanos' ass.

Obviously we ran into the real problem with a three hour epic of a movie with a gigantic cast. You simply don't have time for everything/everyone.
Which really means that all of the fallout and reactions need to happen in the follow up movies. But it does seem awkward for so much of the setup from the last movie kind of not getting touched on.
Even more so since the first half of the movie feels quite slow.

Thanos shrugging off pretty much every attack seemed kind of odd. It seems like he got a power boost since the last movie.

Cap's big moment with the Hammer was awesome, and something I've been waiting for since Age of Ultron.
Cap's shield being smashed by Thanos seemed weird. The whole thing with that shield is that it's indestructible, but we've never really got much chance to show it off, so smashing it didn't have as much of an impact in my mind.
Did this happen in the comics as well?
Looked dramatic, so I just have to guess they ran with it because it looked cool.

Also I wish they'd changed how the Avengers Assemble line was done. I've been waiting for that line and, well, I just think they could have hit that scene and that line better.

I would like to see a Falcon movie. I don't want Falcon to change his name Captain America. But keep the shield, that would be awesome.

For as much nit picking as I did here, I did enjoy it. It's sad to see some of the characters go because... they kind of became the characters, and they were the heart of a lot of the movies. It's going to be hard to imagine some of these movies without these key characters being around.

And I'll probably kick around for Guardians of the Galaxy and Spiderman, but at the same point in time I just kind of feel like this is a good place to stop.

They won't, of course, because Disney needs all of the money.

Hopefully they prove me wrong and continue to put out some good movies.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Just want to add about the "woo girl power" moment...

Both times Evangeline Lilly showed up, I was liked - she belongs here and she knows it. And then she just rolls with whatever is going on. I found her presence more powerful than Brie Larsen...

The "She's got help" line to Spidey... that's what actually jars me out of the film. The badass who just took out Thanos' SPACESHIP and ALL his weapons needs help to get through some ground forces? Wait? What? (I hesitate to refer to Captain Marvel as a badass, but that's what they were trying to do...)

Cap picking up Mjolnir... for shiggles, go on Youtube - there'a vid with three versions of the scene. 1) Spliced with Odin's "Whomsover holds..." scene/ speech, 2) A voice over of said speech, 3) Immigrant Song as a sound track...

BTW - I actually cheered when Thanos knocked down Captain Marvel - he pulled the Power Stone from the Gauntlet and punched her.

There is one thing else that bothers me... Just one of the stones nearly killed Peter Quill, another warped Jane Foster, the Gauntlet nearly knocked out the Hulk... and Tony's armor just casually swipes the stones from the guantlet Thanos is wearing (which was fine... it was Stark Tech after all), and he is able to do the snap without any effects until after the fact? (Yes, he's struggling to say "And I, am, Iron Man, but we only see effects after his snap...) That all jarred me...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

“I honestly don’t remember how Thanos got rid of her.”

He pulled the power stone out of the gauntlet and punched her with it backing him up.