Joker

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Joker

Post by Ares »

Does it matter if his lack of romantic success would have been a contributing factor to his turn to evil?

Also, remember how the media spent months talking about how dangerous the Joker film was, how it would inspire violence, much like the theater shooting that was incorrectly attributed to the Joker? And then nothing happened?

Well, after it's first weekend, Frozen 2 has caused more actual violence than Joker did: https://twitter.com/lporiginalg/status/ ... 42240?s=20
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:13 am Does it matter if his lack of romantic success would have been a contributing factor to his turn to evil?
Eh, as one comment I saw about the movie (back when one of the publicly available bits of information was that part of his motivation was romantic rejection) was that we don't necessarily need another film with a white guy going on a violent rampage due to mental illness and wanting revenge against women who've rejected him. Unfortunately, those happen all too often already.

I much prefer what they wound up with, where Fleck is as much a victim of those around him as anything else, always playing a role to please others, in hopes of finding his own happiness.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:31 amEh, as one comment I saw about the movie (back when one of the publicly available bits of information was that part of his motivation was romantic rejection) was that we don't necessarily need another film with a white guy going on a violent rampage due to mental illness and wanting revenge against women who've rejected him. Unfortunately, those happen all too often already.
You're saying that like it's a common movie plot.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:39 am You're saying that like it's a common movie plot.
No. I'm saying it's a common real-life plot. :|
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pmNo. I'm saying it's a common real-life plot. :|
It really isn't though. It's not only not common it's exceedingly rare.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

saint_matthew wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:23 am
FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pmNo. I'm saying it's a common real-life plot. :|
It really isn't though. It's not only not common it's exceedingly rare.
You may be right. I was under the impression that there were better statistics, but it isn't tracked by current agencies, so you only have a few dozen anecdotal cases over the last few years.

*shrug* I guess we can at least agree that that even with a few, it's too many. :) And we may be able to both agree that the current movie's setup is probably all for the best.