Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Arkrite

Re: Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

Post by Arkrite »

What does this year need?
More 80's. We need a cheesy 80's cheesy action movie with cheese.
And the people at Lazer Unicorns have fulfilled that need with:

Kung Fury

How 80's is it? They got David Hasselhoff to sing the theme.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

How about some music? Nothing silly, strange or funny, just some music.

The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
According to Wikipedia: "The Dead South is a Canadian folk-bluegrass musical ensemble based in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada."
I had no idea, I just thought this song was catchy and for some reason I enjoy the video where they do nothing but a silly dance and snap ;~)

Dub FX 18 04 2009 'Soothe Your Pain'
This one is very hit and miss. I enjoy it, but I don't expect most people would.
I was just impressed when I realized what he was doing, which was using some kind of recording equipment to record his vocals and replay it to create the music he was singing with.

Antoine Dufour - These Moments - solo guitar
An instrumental. I'm always amazed by how much percussion that people can get from a single guitar.

OCEAN - John Butler - 2012 Studio Version
Another guitar instrumental
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Another oldie but goodie, some humor in regards to Pilots vs Mechanics.
I claim no ownership of this, I've just copied it here for your amusement.

After every flight, pilots fill out a form, called a “gripe sheet” which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems; document their repairs on the form, and then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.

Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humor. Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by pilots (marked with a P) and the solutions recorded (marked with an S) by maintenance engineers.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
S: Cannot reproduce the problem on the ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: #2 Propeller seeping prop fluid
S: #2 Propeller seepage normal – #1 #3 and #4 propellers lack normal seepage

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to a more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That’s what they’re for

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you’re right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So, you've finally done it.
You've decided, screw this, I could rule this world and do a much better job of it.
But being an evil overlord seems like an amazing career choice is hard work, and there are many things working against you.
Not to worry though, here is a list of rules that will help your career as the Big Bad Evil Guy last forever:

The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The Chicken Cannon

Scientists at NASA built a special cannon to launch standard 6-pound, whole dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, military jets and the space shuttle, all traveling at maximum velocity. The idea was to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields.

Engineers working on the Bullet Train project heard about the cannon and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high speed trains. Arrangements were made, and a cannon was sent to the Bullet Train engineers.

The engineers were excited to see the results of years of hard work and planning. They set up the experiment and even invited several government officials to attend that had championed the funding of this project. They had a grand ceremony with a countdown. The speedy bullet train roared down the test track at over 200 mph and the engineers fired the chicken cannon.

After the canon was fired, the engineers stood in shock as they viewed in horror at the damage. The shatterproof glass was smashed to smithereens, there was a huge hole in the control console, the driver’s seat had the head rest blown off, and the chicken embedded into the back wall of the train engine’s cabin.

Luckily this was an unmanned test, so no one was hurt except for the pride of the engineers. It was as if they were little boys who broke their prize Christmas present. That chicken trashed their modern marvel.

Immediately the engineers began assessing the damages, took numerous photos and measurements and sent a full report, along with their pages of scientific designs to engineers at NASA. The desperate engineers were totally dumbfounded and asked for an explanation of what could have possibly gone wrong? Their email to the head engineer at NASA said, “Please help us understand how to resolve this issue. We followed all standard protocols and double checked every safety precaution prior to the test with the chicken cannon!”

In just a few minutes, the Bullet Train engineers were shocked by the rapid response. The head engineer at NASA responded with just one short line in bold, all capital letters:

“DEFROST THE CHICKEN FIRST!”
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Arkite, thanks again for continuing to post these.

All my best.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Yeah, sorry I meant to put up some stuff a while back but I just ran out of steam.

And then just a few days ago I spent an entire day I telling myself "oh yeah, I got to remember that Chicken Cannon joke"... and the next day going "What was I trying to remember to put up?" ;~)

Glad you're enjoying it!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Remember that Squirrel Obstacle Course?
Same guy, put together a party for a sick kid. Honestly I just really love the energy in this video and it's just fun to see everybody having fun.

World's Largest Devil's Toothpaste Explosion

The summery version: A young fan who was really sick got to meet Mark Rober a year or so back. Kid managed to beat the cancer and Mark thought it would be cool to throw a bit of a surprise party for him.
And get back the record for the world's largest "Devil's Toothpaste" explosion.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Deadpool The Musical - Beauty and the Beast "Gaston" Parody

A live action fan video.
Goes without saying, if you're not a fan of Deadpool? This isn't going to change your mind.

Also: Rogue in 90's getup. Rar.

Deadpool The Musical 2
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Quite possibly the best piece of news ever reported.

Ninja Parade Slips By Town Unnoticed Once Again
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

A silly, silly song.

I'm My Own Grandpa covered by Willie Nelson

There are many versions, but this one always seemed right.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Pinky And The Brain Theme - Postmodern Jukebox

All you have to do is watch the video to tell that these people were big fans of the cartoon series.

Also: The singer. Hello Nurse! :lol:
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I grew up in the middle of nowhere.
My closest neighbor was a mile away across country, and that's probably a short estimate.
The people we lived around had all sorts of interesting contraptions, and slapdash repaired vehicles.
The people themselves? They were all strange odd characters.
How odd? There is one man that I knew of who went by the nickname of Gumboots. And everybody knew who you were talking about when you said that, but nobody knew his real name.
Gumboots. I kid you not.

So it probably doesn't come as any surprise that I love a Canadian show, one you may have heard of, called the Red Green Show.
It brings me back to my childhood watching a bunch of bizarre but well meaning loonies trying to go about their day to day life.

The show follows the titular Red Green as he presents a TV Show to explain what's going on in Possum Lodge, and how people are handling things.

There are many fun segments such as the narrated black and white Adventures With Bill where Red and Bill attempt to accomplish something.
And calamity ensues.
Don't worry, eventually he gets to go Canoeing

The Possum Lodge Word Game where Red tries to get a member of the Possum Lodge gang to say a word, only to be stymied in his attempts by their own over the top characters and views of the world.

Handyman Corner where you learn many useful skills like How to build a hummer

And more that I'm just skipping over at this point.

And to this day I still introduce familiar quotes as being from a great Canadian Philosopher:

Red: (opening line of each Repair Shop segment) If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

Red: (closing line of each Handyman Corner segment) If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Red: (closing line of each show) Keep your stick on the ice.

All Lodge members: (Possum Lodge oath) Quando omni flunkus, moritati. (Translation: When all else fails, play dead.)

All Lodge members: (Reciting the "Men's Prayer") I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Red Green was always relaxing for me, it reminds me of home, there's no stress in any of the characters, the whole crew is pretty accepting (if confused) about just about anything, and while they might poke fun at themselves they never come across as mean.
The cast is funny in their own way, and the show never fails to put a smile on my face, even the first season where they weren't really sure of what they were doing.

The show, at least a few seasons and a bunch of clips can be found on Youtube at the moment. Hopefully you can find some amusement there.

And remember, as a great Canadian Philosopher once said:

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Time for something silly.
And nothing says silly like Jonathan Coulton.
The guy is fond of putting together a lot of fun, if silly, songs. Most gamers will probably know of at least one of his songs. At least if you've ever beaten Portal.

The Future Soon
A song of a kind who, tired of his lackluster life, dreams of what the future holds for him.
World domination!

Or if you want a more cute/upbeat rendition this music video, even half done, is still pretty nice.
Future Soon (dasawah's WIP)

Skull Crusher Mountain
The romantic song about a beautiful kidnapped hostage, and the deranged mad scientist/super villain who loves her.

And another animated video of the above because, why not?

Good Morning Tucson
A song from the view of a TV News host as he goes through his day to day life... being a TV New Host.

Re: Your Brains
A zombie wants to explain to you why what you're doing is silly, so you should probably just let him in so he can eat your brains.

Code Monkey
Being a programmer sucks sometimes. Most of the time we'd rather thing of the pretty girl at the front desk...

Mandelbrot Set
How mathematician Benoit Mandelbrot has saved the world, and made everything better.

Honestly I have this dream that somebody's crazy enough to let me make a superhero show... and a part of me just wants to run 3:45 to 4:04 of that song as the opening theme.
And this is why I'll never be allowed to do so :lol:

Ikea
Because of course somebody would write a themesong for this store :roll:

Oh, and some song that nobody's ever heard of.
Still Alive.