Low-power supers movies

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Zero Prime

Re: Low-power supers movies

Post by Zero Prime »

I'm actually surprised nobody has mentioned Alphas, it was a great sort-of-super show that ran between 2011 - 2013, I believe.

It was neat, because it tried to ground itself in pseudo-science reality, so it wasn't as effect heavy as things like Heroes or other such, which had the notorious Petrelli-Sylar showdown behind a closed door due to budget constraints. Like one member of the team was an ex-FBI who could give himself super strength and endurance in short bursts, by flooding his adrenaline into his system, however, if he pushed the envelope too long he started to have chest pains. Another had super reflexes and Bullseye level accuracy, but if he thought about it, or second guessed it, his conscious thought over rode his instinctual reflexes and he couldn't make the shot ...

Anyways, it got cut at the end of season 2, which was a cliff hanger, so that part kind of blows, but over all it was a fun and enjoyable series that was very much on the low end of the scale in an emergent superpower world. Worth the time to check out for sure.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Alphas was good, but felt generic in a way to me. Its take on powers and the cost associated with using them was a neat spin, but in the end didn't really elevate it to a great show. Heroes, after the first season went down hill fast partly due to the writers strike. Alphas in the second season was losing quality as well and the cliff hanger ending felt more like a way to extend the premise more than anything else.

Pain Killer Jane was another fun show with super powers that didn't over do it.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

Jet Li's The One. Also his Black Mask film, IIRC. I think there's a number of Hong Kong/Asian films of that nature from back in the 90s.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)