The tragedy of Rose Tico

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Darrin Kelley

The tragedy of Rose Tico

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I think Kelly Marie Tran was one of the real gems that stood out in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Not because of the flaws in her character. But because of the wasted potential that resulted from a movie that was overly rushing every aspect of it.

It's my feeling that the movie didn't let us to get to know Rose and how haunted by the loss of her sister she was. And that lack of ability to let the actress really shine with her character was one of the movie's biggest flaws.

We needed a more sympathetic Rose Tico. Not what the actress could cram into the short time she was given in a crowded film. We needed first character establishment. And to truly feel Rose. And not just see her as someone with a big chip on her shoulder.

So yeah. I really see Rose Tico as a character that could have been a great Star Wars character. If she was given the time to be. And I don't fault the actress for the material she was given. She certainly would have done more if she had been allowed to.

I also want to mention Veronica Ngo. The actress who played Paige Tico. Her performance was a top notch establishing piece that should have carried more impact than it did. But again, this is a failure to follow up in the writing. Because the writers tried to pack too much into the movie, at the expense of characterization.

Also, Rose being pretty much forgotten in The Rise Of Skywalker was just another epic failure by the writers. Rose should have been a character that the audience wanted to see again and cared about. Instead of just a light cameo that could have easily been lost on the cutting room floor.

I don't doubt Kelly Marie Tran's acting skill. I've seen a few of her other performances. And am aware of the power and emotion she is capable of communicating. When she is allowed to. She's somebody who I want to see more of. Provided she is given material that is worth her time.

I don't hate The Last Jedi. I just see its glaringly missed opportunities and misuse of characters. And wonder what could have been with a better set of writers.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The tragedy of Rose Tico

Post by Ares »

The tragedy of Rose Tico is that she was introduced in The Last Jedi (which I do hate), and forced to say and do really stupid, cringy things that could not help but alienate most of the audience. None of which is Kelly Marie Tran's fault, she's just an actress doing her best with what she was given. In the hands of better creators, Rose could well have become the latest in a long line of beloved Star Wars beloved characters. Rogue One handled an ethnically diverse cast just fine. But as it stands, she was introduced in the wrong movie by the wrong people for the wrong reasons.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Re: The tragedy of Rose Tico

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Hmm... I may be misremembering, but I seem to remember hearing that a fair amount of why she got sidelined in Rise of the Skywalker was the result of another tragedy, Carrie Fisher's death. Basically, many of the scenes that involved her couldn't be used because they didn't fit with the remaining Carrie Fisher footage that they intended to jam in there.

But yeah, before that, The Last Jedi really muffed things, in my opinion, by having her very suddenly become a love interest in a very dumb way, having her foil Finn's attempt to do a noble sacrifice in a way that defied physics.