Wonder Woman 1984: Out Now on HBO Max

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Voltron64

Wonder Woman 1984: Out Now on HBO Max

Post by Voltron64 »

I'm watching it and enjoying it so far, anybody else?
Neo-Paladin

Re: Wonder Woman 1984: Out Now on HBO Max

Post by Neo-Paladin »

To be honest...I am a bit burned out on superheroes at the moment and that movie did not help much to remedy that.
Gal Gadot does a very good job, as always, so no complaints there.
However, the movie is definitely too long. More than 2 hours and the plot only starts gaining momentum 1 hour into it.
The whole Cheetah subplot is not really much of a plot and it feels shoehorned in to give WW someone to fight because her beating up Maxwell Lord prior to the finale would be like an adult punching a child.
Patty Jenkins mentioned that she intentionally set the movie in the 80s because it was the zenith of western culture, probably in its consumerist aspect.
Unfortunately, this causes the movie to lose any suspense because we know WW will be alright, we know Steve Trevor will be gone (again) and we know the world will go on without great changes.
I have the nagging suspicion the 80s were not just choosen for creative reasons...
I think the movie could very well have functioned in the modern era as well, maybe even better. The whole " individualism taken to an extreme" angle common to modern western society could have been used to the same effect as the " I want it all" consumerist mindset of the 80s. I liked that idea about the antagonist, though.
It's still a polished flick and some parts of it are entertaining but unfortunately, the flaws are very present.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

I think ever since Batman Returns, a good rule for superhero films has been "pick ONE antagonist and stick with it". I think Nolan is the only person to come close to fully pulling off dual ones.

As for the 80s setting, I suspect it never went deeper than Patty Jenkins having a 'Memberberries moment, likely abetted by one or more studeo big wigs going, "Stranger Things is still popular, right?"
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

I didn't like it. Characters were written as caricatures rather than real people. I guess they tried to give some sense of nostalgia with that but failed. Action didn't satisfy either. I generally watch superhero movies or at least action scenes more than one time. I won't do that with WW1984. Only good thing was actors,namely Pedro Pascal and Gal Gadot.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Now that we're out of spoiler territory -- I didn't like it as much as the first one, though I felt that the action scenes were a bit better choreographed. The various injoke references to the larger DCU were mostly cute -- Simon Stagg, Bialya, the Duke of Deception (talk about your deep cuts) -- but the finale, with Lynda Carter, felt really self-indulgent by comparison. The scene with them flying the Invisible Jet through fireworks was beautifully done, but it felt like it dragged on and on. My favorite bit has to be where even the other robbers are flat-out horrified by what their associate is doing by threatening a kid, all but begging him to stop. A B- film, ultimately.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Davies wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 am My favorite bit has to be where even the other robbers are flat-out horrified by what their associate is doing by threatening a kid, all but begging him to stop.
I liked that bit too. WW84 definitely takes the position that people, in general, are fundamentally good. (Overall, I liked the movie, but I probably wouldn't call it a good movie.)
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Davies wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 am My favorite bit has to be where even the other robbers are flat-out horrified by what their associate is doing by threatening a kid, all but begging him to stop.
That was what told me the movie was set before the 90s. Back when crooks didn't have to be monsters.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site