WandaVision

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Davies

WandaVision

Post by Davies »

Well. This is going to be a very long week.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Re: WandaVision

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:41 am Well. This is going to be a very long week.
Is it any good?(i don't mind spoilers, as they just make me wanna go see the part myself)
I was always a fan of Wandavision(or Visitch if using their super names) during their initial Avengers run(i especially loved how they treated the Wonder Man love-triangle). I can understand why they did what they did in West Coast Avengers (they needed a good shock story but don't really want to kill off a character), but didn't agree with how they demonized Wanda & Simon(Wanda came off as a selfish Ex while Simon came across as a Whiner).
Davies

Post by Davies »

It's ... a slow boil of horror underneath a facade of sweetness and light. As of the third episode, we know the what, but not the how. The wait for the how is likely to be agonizing.

Also, Ares, does the spoiler policy at the top of this board apply to television programs, too?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 am Also, Ares, does the spoiler policy at the top of this board apply to television programs, too?
I'll say "no". TV shows are a bit different from films, though even movies are different these days. I may wind up revising my policy now that we officially have Spoiler Tags. But no, I think with TV shows that it's okay to just chat about them in detail, but the option to hide spoiler material under the spoiler tags is there.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Cool, thanks.
Spoiler
So Wanda and Vision, who's inexplicably alive, are in what starts out as a monochrome environment that looks like the 50s but definitely isn't, living a suburban life while hiding their extraordinary abilities. That's the first episode. By the end of the second episode we've moved into the 60s, and the world colorizes at the end of that episode, with the third taking place in the 70s. Well, really it's more the 70s as seen by the 80s -- one scene is a clear reference to a Family Ties flashback -- and it's becoming increasingly clear that other people in this charming suburban reality are well aware that something is seriously wrong here. And in the finale of the third episode, someone gets flung out of this parallel reality into what I assume is the regular MCU. I always did wonder what it looked like to be on the receiving end of being sent into the cornfield.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 am It's ... a slow boil of horror underneath a facade of sweetness and light. As of the third episode, we know the what, but not the how. The wait for the how is likely to be agonizing.
Ah, so we're dealing with classic Cthulhu-style Horror instead of King-style Horror.
I personally break TV Mental horror down into two 'styles':
CTHULHU= these are the one's that circle more on the cover of civility than the Horror itself, showing how despite what looks 'normal' isn't all it looks like. EXAMPLES:The Gifted, Legion, Hannibal, Dexter,Kungdom Hospital, Rose Red

KING=these are the one's that get the Horror out by the end of the first episode and then show's how ordinary folks react to it. Despite the name, the tabletop version of Cthulhu has more of this than the top one. EXAMPLES:The Stand, Under The Dome, The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, The Mist

A lot of Horror TV shows'll cross into both of these occasionally(Sabrina, American Gods, Preacher, Supernatural), but for the most part they usually stay separate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

And the easter eggs my goddess the easter eggs are EVERYWHERRE and not just thrown in for fan service they have a purpose and are telling us theres something very very wrong here.

Pay attention to the commercials each one is a part of wandas psyche and touches on her experiences
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

catsi563 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:31 pm And the easter eggs my goddess the easter eggs are EVERYWHERRE and not just thrown in for fan service they have a purpose and are telling us theres something very very wrong here.

Pay attention to the commercials each one is a part of wandas psyche and touches on her experiences
My personal favorite was the Halloween episode as the actors got to wear the Classic Hero costumes and we got to delve more into how the norms are cracking under the pressure...

Btw: Hi catsi563, did you miss me? :D
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

=^_^=m of course

havent seen the halloween ep yet still on ep 3 so far
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:51 am =^_^=m of course

havent seen the halloween ep yet still on ep 3 so far
It's right after i think. You'll love it....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Did they release the fourth episode early internationally? I think the US only got the first three episodes so far.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:10 am Did they release the fourth episode early internationally? I think the US only got the first three episodes so far.
I watch a lot of online watchalong shows, so i tend to get the jump on stuff... :D
Davies

Post by Davies »

Okay. We now know some of the how, and have met the other half of our cast of characters.
Spoiler
If Monica doesn't come out of this with super-powers, I will not be best pleased.

Jimmy continues to be an adorable dork.

There is a moment in this one that suggests that "It's all Wanda" might be a rush to judgment.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Intresting idea here...
Spoiler
I Honestly wouldn't be suprised if it turned out S.W.O.R.D. was behind Wanda's mental break from Reality.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Well, this isn't hitting any of my paranoia triggers, at all.

Lots of Family Ties references in this one.
Spoiler
And we may have been shown how the X-Men are coming.