Falcon & The Winter Soldier

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Batgirl III

Re: Falcon & The Winter Soldier

Post by Batgirl III »

The Flag Smashers motive seems to have been that post-Snap, the world was suddenly half-empty, so lots of the world’s poor and downtrodden (who didn’t get dusted) took the opportunity to move into regions with better living conditions or whatever. Likewise, with half the universe’s population disappeared in an instant, a lot of the people who remained realized that various old grudges and tribalism conflicts were meaningless (who cares if you’re a star-bellied Sneetch and I’m a plain-bellied Sneetch, a freakin’ alien warlord just killed half of our species)...

But, when the Blip brought everyone back, all of the returning people wanted their lives back. Which was hard to do if a family of refugees was now living in your house or international borders got redrawn and your family farm was now half in your country and half in a foreign country... and so on and so forth.

Which are all legitimate grievances for both parties.

Why the Flag Smasher thought blowing up children’s hospitals, stealing medicine from refugee camps, and assassinating NGO charity workers would make people sympathetic to their cause... Well... Who the hell knows?

But, honestly, that’s a pretty accurate depiction of terrorists. Terrorists, as a general rule, are not the most rational sort of people. I mean, Osama bin Laden’s primary motivation was to get the United States to reduce and/or eliminate its military presence in Central Asia and the Levant. So he got his guys to hijack four airplanes and launch a sneak attack against civilians in New York City, civil government on Capitol Hill, and military leadership at the Pentagon. The US responded by launching a massive military campaign and a vast expansion of our presence in Central Asia and the Levant. (To give you some idea how vast, the United States Coast Guard has about hundred people on the ground in Afghanistan. The Coast Guard. In a landlocked country. Yep.)

We also killed bin Laden.

So, yeah, on the whole... bad plan.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.