Blizzard’s greed earns them a boycott

The place to discuss your favorite toys (action figures, dolls, building blocks, etc.), board games, and video games, as well their related industries and related news.
Jabroniville

Blizzard’s greed earns them a boycott

Post by Jabroniville »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn.com ... index.html

Anyone been following this? American companies all over are censoring their films, sports and games to appease the deep pockets of a foreign nation. I think Blizzard is going to take it up the ass for this, and thank god South Park is tearing into them, too. This will make even more people aware of how much foreign nations are controlling American media, who are capitulating out of fear and greed.
Shock

Re: Blizzard’s greed earns them a boycott

Post by Shock »

The NBA is taking it pretty hard right now too. At points, they've looked even worse than Blizzard has
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, it's been established for a while that western film makers have been making changes to their films to appease the Chinese government, since that's hundreds of millions of potential dollars, but China itself is an incredibly oppressive government that refuses to allow or promote certain media. The Iron Man 3 controversy with the Mandarin stemmed largely from the idea that a Chinese supervillain wouldn't be popular over there. The Ancient One went from a Tibetan Man to a Celtic Woman in Dr. Strange because of China's adversarial relationship with Tibet.

Southpark recently took the piss out of China with their episode "China Band" where the kids were in a music band that was increasingly changed to appeal to China. And following the episode, the Chinese government basically wiped South Park from their country, which only proved the Southpark creator's point. Their non-apology was hilarious.

Blizzard has basically painted a big target on themselves for banning a player and taking away the prize money he won because he decided to support Hong Kong over China. This has caused a massive stir at the company and their fanbase, something Blizzard really can't afford right now.

It's especially sad when you have so many entitled people living in this country talking about how terrible America is, when China is one of the most oppressive and destructive nations out there. They're the worst polluter by far, they almost single-handedly keep the poaching industry going, they have a draconian hold on what media their citizens are allowed to consume, they've destroyed their once thriving martial arts community, they've a mountain of human rights violations, etc.

China's a nation in need of deep reform.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Ares wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:58 am Yeah, it's been established for a while that western film makers have been making changes to their films to appease the Chinese government, since that's hundreds of millions of potential dollars, but China itself is an incredibly oppressive government that refuses to allow or promote certain media. The Iron Man 3 controversy with the Mandarin stemmed largely from the idea that a Chinese supervillain wouldn't be popular over there. The Ancient One went from a Tibetan Man to a Celtic Woman in Dr. Strange because of China's adversarial relationship with Tibet.

Southpark recently took the piss out of China with their episode "China Band" where the kids were in a music band that was increasingly changed to appeal to China. And following the episode, the Chinese government basically wiped South Park from their country, which only proved the Southpark creator's point. Their non-apology was hilarious.

Blizzard has basically painted a big target on themselves for banning a player and taking away the prize money he won because he decided to support Hong Kong over China. This has caused a massive stir at the company and their fanbase, something Blizzard really can't afford right now.

It's especially sad when you have so many entitled people living in this country talking about how terrible America is, when China is one of the most oppressive and destructive nations out there. They're the worst polluter by far, they almost single-handedly keep the poaching industry going, they have a draconian hold on what media their citizens are allowed to consume, they've destroyed their once thriving martial arts community, they've a mountain of human rights violations, etc.

Don't forget the social credit system.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:02 am
Ares wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:58 am Yeah, it's been established for a while that western film makers have been making changes to their films to appease the Chinese government, since that's hundreds of millions of potential dollars, but China itself is an incredibly oppressive government that refuses to allow or promote certain media. The Iron Man 3 controversy with the Mandarin stemmed largely from the idea that a Chinese supervillain wouldn't be popular over there. The Ancient One went from a Tibetan Man to a Celtic Woman in Dr. Strange because of China's adversarial relationship with Tibet.

Oh right, I'd almost forgotten THAT hot mess where they've basically weaponized social media and made "being a good citizen" into a video game that will reward and punish you in r/l.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
squirrelly-sama

Ares wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:06 am

Oh right, I'd almost forgotten THAT hot mess where they've basically weaponized social media and made "being a good citizen" into a video game that will reward and punish you in r/l.
Fun fact, if you're a bad citizen they also restrict your ability to leave the country. Also you can become a bad citizen by being in anyway related or involved with a bad citizen.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:25 am The NBA is taking it pretty hard right now too. At points, they've looked even worse than Blizzard has
What’s the whole story there? I don’t watch sports.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Short version: The General Manager of the Houston Rockets tweeted support for Hong Kong and then deleted it. The Rockets are the most popular NBA team in China because of Yao Ming and the NBA is aggressively courting the Chinese market.

China took exception to the tweet and the NBA brass fell all over themselves apologizing. They've shut down reporter's questions and recently cancelled all media availability on the preseason tour of China.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:26 am
Ares wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:06 am
Fun fact, if you're a bad citizen they also restrict your ability to leave the country. Also you can become a bad citizen by being in anyway related or involved with a bad citizen.
It kind of reminds me of a bit from Borderlands 2, where Handsome Jack was talking about this town he'd created with some truly draconian laws and policies.

"Citizens of Opportunity, just a reminder that littering is punishable by death. And as a further reminder, complaining about the laws of Opportunity is considered verbal littering."

Shock

Post by Shock »

Blizzard has finally issued a statement and backtracked slightly. But if anyone believes his mention of Hong Kong had no bearing on their reaction, I have some prime real estate I'd like to sell you.
squirrelly-sama

Shock wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:08 pm Blizzard has finally issued a statement and backtracked slightly. But if anyone believes his mention of Hong Kong had no bearing on their reaction, I have some prime real estate I'd like to sell you.
More so when you read their statements in china "Protecting the pride of our country". And learn that they are stopping people from making handles that have Hong Kong in the name.
Davies

Post by Davies »

This thread is utterly hilarious.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I have noticed the effect on the Overwatch launch on the Nintendo eShop, The game isn't getting sales. It's not on the best sellers list at all.

It is a featured game. Nintendo is treating the game like it would any other of its fame. It's not them who are in the doghouse with the fans.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Blizzard's embarrassment continues to the tune of getting sniped at by Congress
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hahahaa, oh jesus