3E air-walking

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Woodclaw

3E air-walking

Post by Woodclaw »

I know that in 3e we got rid of the old Super-Movement (Air-Walk), which was admittedly clunky as hell, but how would you recreate it?
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
FuzzyBoots

Re: 3E air-walking

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Power Profiles brought it back as Flawed Flight.
Air Walk: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Subtle: subtle; Quirk: prone condition causes you to fall)
(2 PP)[/quote]

It is a bit of a shame that it increases the movement speed like that, but otherwise, it's not bad.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Would the platform flaw do the same thing as the quirk?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Spectrum wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:02 pm Would the platform flaw do the same thing as the quirk?
Platform seems a bit more severe.
If you fail a resistance check while flying, or you are grabbed by someone standing on the ground, you’re knocked or pulled off your platform and cannot fly.
You have multiple ways of getting knocked off (although I'm not certain if "a resistance check" was supposed to be anything, or more "the GM feels your failure would impair your ability to stay on the platform", since otherwise you've got the slightly odd situation where someone hits you with an "Impaired" status and that's enough to make you fall off. "Don't drink and fly," I guess?) and it seems it takes a single degree of failure, versus the quirk above, which requires either the Trip action (which doesn't do damage by itself) or a 2nd degree failure on Affliction.

Although it does lead to the fun question of whether someone who's flying can become Prone and what implications it has if you trip someone mid-air (or if someone assumes the Prone status as a Free action). Personally, I'd argue for it leaving someone tumbling mid-air, harder to hit with a ranged attack (since they're moving erratically) but easier to tag with close attacks (more surface area being exposed and less ability to intelligently block), having difficulty moving at full speed (Hindered), and needing an Acrobatics check or a Move action to straighten out. Of course, the flavor text says "A prone character is lying on the ground", so theoretically, tripping Hawk-Man when he's flying high in the air means he's now dealing with falling damage from instantaneously going from sky to ground if we take that literally.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 pm Power Profiles brought it back as Flawed Flight.
Air Walk: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Subtle: subtle; Quirk: prone condition causes you to fall) (2 PP)
It is a bit of a shame that it increases the movement speed like that, but otherwise, it's not bad.
Thank you.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)