RPG Systems with the Fastest / Slowest Combat

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Ares
Site Admin

RPG Systems with the Fastest / Slowest Combat

Post by Ares »

Inspired by Curbludgeon's post here, I'm curious what everyone's experience with games when it comes to what ran really fast and what ran really slow. Naturally a large chunk of this depends on the GM and the Players, but there's definitely some systems that seem to slow things down more than others.

Probably the fastest RPG I've ever seen run is Feng Shui 1st ed. That game just seemed to fly by.

For slow games:

- D&D 4th Edition just seemed to take forever.

- Pathfinder had so many options and crunch that it took forever as well.

- Hero System often dragged with group due in large part to the sheer number of dice involved.

- Exalted 1st ed. seemed to be the opposite of the fast-paced, high action Chinese/Greek Mythology Anime Mash-Up they were going for.

So what are some of yours? And don't worry if you feel one game runs fast that another said runs slow, this is all subjective.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Re: RPG Systems with the Fastest / Slowest Combat

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Planet Mercenary is one that runs fast. Actions are limited, action order works in a "speak first, act first" setup, it's encouraged to play larger numbers of opponents as "squads" that act as one, and damage is high enough that combat can end really quickly (for or against the players). Is It a Plane?! is one that's highly dependent on how much drawing time you give your players and how strictly you follow that limit.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

I suppose it would be useful to differentiate between a combat as a whole taking a long time versus an individual round. D&D4e, having a fairly limited number of effects and moves that were largely variants of each other with fanciful names, could handle a round quickly, but the inflated amount of hit points meant a given foe would take too many rounds. There was a FB tie-in game that did a pretty decent job reflecting the emphasis on positioning that 4e focused on, for which I could see some small appeal. That edition often struck me as one which should have focused on skirmishes with miniatures to the exclusion of any pretense at roleplaying.

Tunnels and Trolls is a game which, save for adding up dice totals, is quite fast. Each side in a combat pools all their dice and adds together, compares that rolled total to that of the other side, with the lower total applying the difference first to armor then CON, divided among the participants. Later editions added stuff like the winning side rolling a save to avoid taking a lesser amount of damage, or every 6 making 1 point of spite damage apply independent of other factors. Still, for a 2 minute turn, a fight between a party of five and a tribe of goblins can be resolved in less time than is assumed to pass in-game.
Shock

Post by Shock »

The SAGA version of Marvel Superheroes with the cards played very fast
Kevin MacTaggert

Post by Kevin MacTaggert »

M&M2e/3e are silly fast compared to Champions, Masks and most other supers rpgs I've played or read, in my opinion.

BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia D&D is way faster than newer editions. I'm running it now and it's refreshing how fast the group gets in & out of combat scenes.
Ken

Post by Ken »

When my group switched from Champions to DCA/M&M3 are combat times shrank to about 10% of what they had been.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Slowest

Anima: Beyond Fantasy is a gorgeous kitchen sink fantasy system from a Spanish designer and brought to English by Fantasy Flight games.. and very poorly and inconsistently translated. Really, if you're looking for great artwork (often fanservicy) and a pretty impressively well developed environment, I'd check it out. Just not sure that I'd use the mechanics.

In the most simple combat action you:
A1. Choose what weapon you are attacking with
A2. Figure out what modifiers based upon environment- there are about 20 to choose from + how they interact with each other
A3. roll % + specific weapon modifier+ environmental modifiers for your attack

B1. choose block or dodge
B2. Figure out what modifiers based upon environment- there are about 20 to choose from + how they interact with each other
B3. roll % + the chosen defense rating+ environmental modifiers

In steps A3 and B3, if you roll high enough, the dice also has a chance to explode, having you roll % again and add the total. Keep rolling with diminishing chances of exploding chance depending upon how far you progress.

C1. subtract B3 total from A3 total to get C total
C2. determine armor (out of 7) and the level of armor
C3. Cross reference C and the armor type against Table 38 to determine the multiplier for the damage or if the defender gets to counterattack (return to A1 with positions reversed)
C4. Use the multiplier from Table 38 * the potential damage of the attack
C5. Apply damage

D1. If applied damage is greater than half of the remaining hit points then there is a possible critical
D3. roll %+physical resistance (cannot explode) against the damage of the critical
D4. Use Table 47 to determine the all action penalty
D5. If Table 47 indicates a location, roll on table 48 to see where gets injured and/or destroyed

Again, a beautiful game but my goodness, its way overcomplicated.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Clever (but not necessarily fastest)

Organic Rules Components (ORC) is the system behind Fates Worse Than Death and Dark Alleys. Another company will brilliant setting but kinda lousy mechanics. For example, their first book, FWTD didn't include rules for how to heal damage.

However, the way that they handled combat actions is kinda brilliant. There is a wide menu of different actions, but which ones you're good at will be determined by what skills you take.

The action rolls is modifiers+d20 vs a set difficulty compared to the same from the other side. However, because the modifiers is set at character creation/progression, you can do the calculations in advance and have them all ready to go:

So 20+1d20 vs 15 becomes 5+1d20 vs 0 and you're ready to go.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »