Blindness and sensory afflictions

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
pathfinderq1

Blindness and sensory afflictions

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So, a quick rules question for the assembled experts:

If a character is blind (a Complication, at least), do they also need to take an Immunity to sight-based afflictions and sight-based Perception effects (and so on)?

The specific case is a liquid metal blob/shifter who doesn't have eyes (and uses Spatial Awareness instead of sight).
FuzzyBoots

Re: Blindness and sensory afflictions

Post by FuzzyBoots »

That's a good question. I think that there's a good argument to be made for saying that yes, you would need to buy those immunities. Not certain if Green Ronin has addressed this with any blind characters...
Ken

Post by Ken »

Overall, it's a gamaster call. For me, I think it would depend on how well they function. If the character is truly blind, without the senses power, I wouldn't require them to get the immunities. However, if the character is a Daredevil II (Matt Murdock) type, who has heightened senses, using the Senses power, than yes, I would want the character to purchase the immunities, because in such a case, their blindness is less of a complication, and more of a special effect.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yeah, I'd say that normally the slight advantage (Immunity to one specific sensory effect, 1 point) is more than cancelled out by "visual senses are neither accurate nor acute nor ranged nor able to detect" (-5 points).
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Honestly I wouldn't make them buy the immunity, they'd have to buy some other accurate sense to replace vision of course if they want to function fairly normally but otherwise no cost to it. Perception area is already kinda broken given how it doesn't have a set distance limit and how much easier it is to have party members get out of the "area" by just not looking at the character just innate immunity coming from lacking the sense in question should be a given. Like, you can't just have Radio perception area and then expect to always hit everyone as well as the mecha pilot because no one thinks to get immunity to Radio waves.