M&M3E, Speedster-ish Idea, Discuss?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Hellstormer1

M&M3E, Speedster-ish Idea, Discuss?

Post by Hellstormer1 »

Another idea I had recently thinking of wacky powers.

INSPIRATION:

-Anime scenes where characters dodge an attack so fast they seem to disappear, then reapear just a step or two away and counterattack their attacker. Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, etc.

SITUATION:

You know how sometimes quick, agile, or super-fast characters dodge out of the way of an attack, then charge forwards and counterattack the attacker, but they are often shown moving so fast you lose sight of them for an eye blink?

IDEA:

Teleport, but only 1 rank, with Reaction extra, and Limited to only against attacks/actions from a target the character is focused on, maybe even aware of if they are off to the side (so if they're unaware of someone setting up a sneak attack, this power cannot be used). 4pts(?)

PROBLEM(S):

-Teleport at rank 1 grants 60ft distance (am I right here?). Truth be told, this is more than I was wanting. I was hoping for something more like a 5ft-10ft, like a step out of the way, or a super-quick dodge. I supposed a Limited flaw could be added to half the distance, but that would still be 30ft. Maybe reduce this further? 3pts(?)

-A Reaction Teleport is also kinda powerful, obviously, and many GMs may say no. Even with the Limited flaw of needing to be aware of the attacking character or action, do you think this is still too powerful? Would reducing the Limitation for range further (5ft-10ft) make a good argument to counter the power in this effect?

Thoughts?
"NOPE!"
Ken

Re: M&M3E, Speedster-ish Idea, Discuss?

Post by Ken »

Blink Teleport: Enhanced Traits (+4 Dodge, +4 Fighting) (12 points)

Obviously, the number of ranks is up to you. The Fighting is the offensive and defensive melee bonus one would get. The dodge is the defensive range bonus. The special effect is what you described.

It's a cool idea, and a cool special effect, but since the character isn't moving very far, the actual game effects are just defense and offense bonuses.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Hellstormer1

Post by Hellstormer1 »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 pm Blink Teleport: Enhanced Traits (+4 Dodge, +4 Fighting) (12 points)

Obviously, the number of ranks is up to you. The Fighting is the offensive and defensive melee bonus one would get. The dodge is the defensive range bonus. The special effect is what you described.

It's a cool idea, and a cool special effect, but since the character isn't moving very far, the actual game effects are just defense and offense bonuses.
Don't get me wrong, I get where you're going and your POV. I do. But I was not looking for alternatives to my idea, but to discuss the idea itself, and any changes or differences people would like to suggest to make it more workable from their POV. The idea you have is simple enough and anyone familiar with the system would get that. "Wanna dodge really fast? Have high Dodge Defense!" And I don't mean to shoot you down for making a suggestion. But I wanted to discuss my idea specifically, not alternatives to it. Thanks for the input, respectfully, but a discussion doesn't mean much if it gets off-topic and derailed.
"NOPE!"
Shock

Post by Shock »

So, you want this power to make you immune to all attacks that you can see coming? For 4 pts?

If you want to move a bit after dodging, take Teleport and make it a Reaction to a missed attack. Then you get the effect but it doesn't break the game.
Hellstormer1

Post by Hellstormer1 »

Much better. I like that. Thanks.

And I suggested Limitations to tone the effect down, you ignored those.
"NOPE!"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hellstormer1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 am INSPIRATION:

-Anime scenes where characters dodge an attack so fast they seem to disappear, then reapear just a step or two away and counterattack their attacker. Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, etc.

SITUATION:

You know how sometimes quick, agile, or super-fast characters dodge out of the way of an attack, then charge forwards and counterattack the attacker, but they are often shown moving so fast you lose sight of them for an eye blink?

IDEA:

Teleport, but only 1 rank, with Reaction extra, and Limited to only against attacks/actions from a target the character is focused on, maybe even aware of if they are off to the side (so if they're unaware of someone setting up a sneak attack, this power cannot be used). 4pts(?)

PROBLEM(S):

-Teleport at rank 1 grants 60ft distance (am I right here?). Truth be told, this is more than I was wanting. I was hoping for something more like a 5ft-10ft, like a step out of the way, or a super-quick dodge. I supposed a Limited flaw could be added to half the distance, but that would still be 30ft. Maybe reduce this further? 3pts(?)

-A Reaction Teleport is also kinda powerful, obviously, and many GMs may say no. Even with the Limited flaw of needing to be aware of the attacking character or action, do you think this is still too powerful? Would reducing the Limitation for range further (5ft-10ft) make a good argument to counter the power in this effect?

Thoughts?
You asked for thoughts. My thought was "Hellstormer is right, there is a problem with the limited teleport option."

That problem is that
Hellstormer1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 amYou know how sometimes quick, agile, or super-fast characters dodge out of the way of an attack, then charge forwards and counterattack the attacker
is the important part of your idea, as far as a game master is concerned.
Hellstormer1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 ambut they are often shown moving so fast you lose sight of them for an eye blink
is a cool special effect, and may be very important to you as a player. But...
DCA p. 81, M&M 3rd Edition p. 91 wrote:POWER DESCRIPTORS
The rules in this chapter explain what the various powers do,that is, what their game effects are, but it is left up to the player and Gamemaster to apply descriptors to define exactly what a power is and what it looks (and sounds, and feels) like to observers beyond just a collection of game effects. A power’s descriptors are primarily for color. It’s more interesting and clear to say a hero has a “Flame Blast” or “Lightning Bolt” power than a generic “Damage effect.” “Flame” and “lightning” are descriptors for the Damage effect.
"Dodge out of the way of an attack, then charge forwards and counterattack the attacker" is the description of game effects. Character dodges and counterattacks.
"Shown moving so fast you lose sight of them for an eye blink" is a power descriptor.

Enhanced Traits (+4 Dodge, +4 Fighting) improves your chances to dodge out of the way, and increases your chances to hit with a counterattack.

I should have called it something other than "blink teleport'." My fault. Multitasking too much at the time. I should have said...

Move so fast I disappear for an eye blink when attacked: Enhanced Traits (+4 Dodge, +4 Fighting)

If you want to pay extra points for a Descriptor that ought to be free, that's your prerogative.

But the game mechanic Teleport is a power that has the specific game effect of getting a character between two different locations. At rank 1 those 2 locations can be anywhere between a few inches and 60 ft. apart. The special effect can be turning into a ball of light and flying between the two spots, or moving into a different dimension and out again, or running so fast no one can react, or any number of other possibilities.
Hellstormer1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 amI was hoping for something more like a 5ft-10ft, like a step out of the way, or a super-quick dodge.
You aren't interest in having the character move up to 60 ft. (or more). You're interested in having the character move as far as almost any person can move in a few seconds. That doesn't cost anyone points. It shouldn't cost you points. But you are wanting someone better able to dodge and counterattack. That does cost points, points you'd likely pay anyway, no matter what the descriptor.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Scrollreader

Post by Scrollreader »

The Speed Power Profile has something like this. It's horribly expensive, as an immunity like this should be (and also, Concentration. I absolutely wouldn't allow it without Concentration, and I'd be very leery of allowing it anyway. Makes a nice power stunt, though) Generally I agree with the above posters and their solution, but include the power profile option for completeness.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

I'd say Ultimate Parry advantage with a Triggered feature on strength damage so you can punch someone in the face when you use your ultimate parry.