M&M3E, Kinetic Manipulator, How-To?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Hellstormer1

M&M3E, Kinetic Manipulator, How-To?

Post by Hellstormer1 »

Hello everyone.

Title sounds like a character build, but it's more a discussion on creating powers/effects for such a character (which I'll then take into consideration to make such a character build later once I get some ideas).

I'm wondering how to do a Kinetic Energy Manipulator (KEM). Specifically, asking how others would build a power effect where punches and/or other attacks directed at the KEM would be immediately absorbed and redirected at the attacker for a Damage effect. I'm thinking Energy Absorption of some kind, but people often say you need some kind of Immunity to go with that, and I'm thinking a Reaction Damage effect Linked to that Energy Absorption. If anyone is interested, tell me if this is correct or not, and even if it is, please offer some ideas on how you'd change this power up a bit.

This topic is more wide open, so if anyone wants to add in thoughts for other KEM character powers/effects, please feel free to toss them in too.

I was also thinking of powers involving absorbing kinetic energies from individuals and areas, being applied as an Affliction with an Area AE.

Other related effects powered by absorbed kinetic energy would be Speedster related effects, like Speed, Quickness, Enhanced Defenses (Dodge/Parry), but as this is not a devoted Speedster I'm left wondering what effects would be appropriate, and how far the power points can stretch with such a character, especially at starting PL 10.
"NOPE!"
theVoidWatches

Re: M&M3E, Kinetic Manipulator, How-To?

Post by theVoidWatches »

I would go with something along the lines of Damage _ (Reaction: After being hit by a kinetic attack, Limited: Maximum rank equal to the rank of the triggering attack). 3/rank, pay for as many ranks as you want your maximum to be. And yes, you would probably want an Immunity along with it, or maybe have it only trigger on an attack that fails to beat your Parry (and have the fluff be that you blocked it by absorbing and redirecting its force).
Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!
Hellstormer1

Re: M&M3E, Kinetic Manipulator, How-To?

Post by Hellstormer1 »

theVoidWatches wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:45 am I would go with something along the lines of Damage _ (Reaction: After being hit by a kinetic attack, Limited: Maximum rank equal to the rank of the triggering attack). 3/rank, pay for as many ranks as you want your maximum to be. And yes, you would probably want an Immunity along with it, or maybe have it only trigger on an attack that fails to beat your Parry (and have the fluff be that you blocked it by absorbing and redirecting its force).
Thanks. I like that idea.
"NOPE!"