Darkseid vs Thanos

If you want to debate fictional fights or do character respect threads, do it here.
Hoid

Darkseid vs Thanos

Post by Hoid »

...if Thanos has the Infinity Gauntlet? Thanos wins.

...if Thanos doesn’t have the Infinity Gauntlet? Darkseid wins.

Your thoughts?
Darrin Kelley

Re: Darkseid vs Thanos

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Thanos keeps getting defeated by Squirrel Girl. So there is no contest.

Darkseid would drop Thanos regardless of whether he had the Infinity Gauntlet or not. All he has to do is expose Thanos to the Anti-Life Equasion. And Thanos becomes a mindless drone that will just hand the Infinity Gauntlet to Darkseid.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 am Thanos keeps getting defeated by Squirrel Girl. So there is no contest.

Darkseid would drop Thanos regardless of whether he had the Infinity Gauntlet or not. All he has to do is expose Thanos to the Anti-Life Equasion. And Thanos becomes a mindless drone that will just hand the Infinity Gauntlet to Darkseid.
To be honest, I’m pretty sure the Mind Gem can protect you from just about any mind control...
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 am Thanos keeps getting defeated by Squirrel Girl. So there is no contest.

Narp! :)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Post by Ken »

But Darkseid doesn't have the Anti-Life Equation. That's the thing he wants. Unless he's gotten it, and has since taken over the universe.

Cosmic McGuffins not withstanding. Pitting Darkseid against Thanos is like pitting Superman against Gladiator or Sentry. Just do a Google search on "Starlin Darkseid Thanos". Thanos was designed to be Marvel's Darkseid.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

In a brawl, it could likely go either way, depending on the writer. I would have tended to give Thanos the edge in raw physical power previously, as generally Thanos was portrayed as requiring more than a single top tier hero like Thor or the Hulk to stalemate, while Darkseid traditionally was someone Superman-class heroes could fight to a standstill. In more recent years they've made a push to have Darkseid be someone it takes the entire Justice League, Superman included, to have a chance against in a fight. Based on that, I'd say the two are likely evenly matched physically.

Overall it likely depends on how Darkseid's Omega Beams are working that day. Some days they're treated as his own personal Ultimate Nullifiers, capable of wiping someone out of existence entirely, and other days they're just very potent eye-beams that are very difficult to avoid. Thanos' status as a being outside of the normal bounds of Order and Chaos might also make him more resistant to them.

So assuming neither of them has their instant win MacGuffins (the Gauntlet, the Equation), it's a toss up.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Didn't Darkseid canonically exist outside or beyond the multi-verse or some such BS like that? I don't really know his lore fully but I recall that as being given as a reason why he's such a threat in DC. Would that make him beyond the Gauntlet's instant win snap?
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:11 pm Didn't Darkseid canonically exist outside or beyond the multi-verse or some such BS like that? I don't really know his lore fully but I recall that as being given as a reason why he's such a threat in DC. Would that make him beyond the Gauntlet's instant win snap?
No. Not beyond. Just really high up, dimensionally speaking. And definitely not older. Darkseid is a New God—-meaning he’s part of a pantheon that replaced a pantheon of Old Gods.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:11 pm Didn't Darkseid canonically exist outside or beyond the multi-verse or some such BS like that? I don't really know his lore fully but I recall that as being given as a reason why he's such a threat in DC. Would that make him beyond the Gauntlet's instant win snap?
Darkseid's origins in the Nu-52 are a mess, though Grant Morrison's Final Crisis didn't help things. Though that comic also had Superman sing Darkseid out of existence. But in most tellings, Darkseid is one of the Fourth World, a new age of gods after the Old Gods died. In the original stories by Jack Kirby it was heavily implied that it was the Norse Gods and similar pantheons that had died to create the New Gods, though that also is inconsistent. But generally speaking, no, Darkseid isn't a multiversal entity.

It ultimately depends on how the Gauntlet is portrayed. In most portrayals, the Gauntlet effectively makes you God of the universe the gems are native to. Even Eternity, the metaphysical embodiment of the universe, must submit to someone wearing the Gauntlet. However, in some stories the Gauntlet isn't as effective against things from outside its own universe. In JLAvengers, the Infinity Gauntlet didn't work in the DC Universe or on things that originated from the DCU because they were outside the Gem's influence. Similarly, when Hickman did his bloated, confusing mess of a story (God help us if Hickman and Morrison ever collaborate on anything) the Gauntlet was only somewhat effective against an Incursion of one universe smashing into another.

So you'd have to decide before the fight even starts whether or not the Gauntlet would even work on Darkseid simply due to him not being from the Marvel Universe. If it can, then he instantly wins. If it can't, then it's can't affect Darkseid directly, but could potentially do something like "surround Darkseid in a planet composed of Anti-Matter" or "turn the air around Darkseid into a 200x200 block of Adamantium".

It's why items like the Gauntlet generally shouldn't be included in versus match ups.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

When they were doing the "Ragnarok" story in "Thor", back in the late 1960s, he wanted the Asgardians to die (like the classic Ragnarok), and have the New Gods spring up. Stan, Roy, et al. said no. This opened the door for Kirby to jump to DC, who were more than happy to introduce his New Gods. But in all fairness, for a number of years they had little impact outside their own books and "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen".

Marvel, seeing the genius in the creation of Darkseid, instructed Starlin to create a Darkseid riff. That was Thanos.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.