RPG Reviews - Read This First to Learn How This Works

Looking for a review of a game system, product or adventure module? Want to review it yourself? Do it here.
Ares
Site Admin

RPG Reviews - Read This First to Learn How This Works

Post by Ares »

So after some debate, I decided to go ahead and just give us our own RPG review sub-form. This will be a place for folks to review existing systems, give their two cents on it, and hopefully help everyone here make more informed RPG purchases, as well as expose people to the good and the bad of the RPG industry's vast catalog of product. How this will work is as follows:

1) Recommending a System For Review: There will be a stickied topic where folks can request RPG review topics. Any system, adventure, RPG product or the like you would like to review, make a post about it there.

2) I will post the RPG Review Topic: This is important. I will be the only one creating topics for this sub-forum. Anyone who creates a topic will have that topic deleted. What will happen is that when a system, adventure or what not is requested for review, I will create a topic where the opening post will contain a rundown of the thing being reviewed, but strictly in a "just the facts, ma'am" sense. I will describe the system, the overall adventure layout, who published it, when it was published, that sort of thing. One the topic is up, anyone can reply to it it with a review of said topic.

3) Read The Review Guidelines: The next post or so will include a description of how to review a system, module or what not, and the post after that will include the default layout for reviewing a product. Quote the layout post, copy/paste it to the relevant thread, delete the QUOTE parts and go on with the review. After the review is made, I will update the opening post with links to reviews by the reviewers.

4) Only Post Reviews: There will likely be a time when you come across a review you disagree with. Do not post in the thread commenting on it. If you must, feel free to post a review of your own that you feel is more fair. But do not get into debate wars about what they got wrong. . This thread is solely for reviews only. If you want to debate the merits of any system or adventure, do so in the General RPG Chat forum, and do so in a civil and polite manner.

And that should be that. Once the Review Guidelines post and Request Topic are up, we can get to reviewing. Hope we all have fun with this.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donated.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: RPG Reviews - Read This First to Learn How This Works

Post by Ares »

So when it comes reviewing RPG products, here's how it will go.

I will start a topic with the product's name in the title, along with other relevant info that space allows.

In the opening post I make, I'll present the following:

Product Name
Company: The company that made the product
Creators: The main people involved with creating the product
Release: The year it was released, as well as the edition (if relevant)
System / Adventure Overview: This will be a very general and factual overview of what the system sets out to do, how it does it, or what the overall outline of the adventure is. This will exist to establish the concrete facts so that new readers will have a basis for the reviews that follows.
Reviews: Hyperlinks to the reviews themselves, including the username of the reviewer.

After this post is made, anyone can make a review post. Review posts should contain the following information:

Opening Thoughts: This will be where you give a summary of your thoughts on the product, and can include your personal experiences with it, when you first encountered it, so on.

Presentation: The overall look and layout of the product. This is where you'd talk about how easy it is to find something, the art choices, the style choices in how the content is presented, as well as things that detract from the product such as typos, ugly art and poor layout. At the end of this section, please include one of the following ratings:
- 1/5 - Terrible Product is a blight on the history of the RPG industry
- 2/5 - Poor Product has glaring problems that detract from its value
- 3/5 - Decent Product is Average for what one would expect from the RPG industry
- 4/5 - Solid Product shows that a great deal of time, effort and talent was put into it
- 5/5 - Exceptional The best of what the industry has to offer

Content: The actual meat of the product. If it is a system, discuss what works and what doesn't, how the various aspects of it affect the fun factor for you, how well it does what it's trying to do, etc. If an adventure review, discuss how the overall fun factor, how much sense the adventure makes in terms of story progression, whether it takes into account players choice, how rail-road-y it is, how much extra work a GM might need to put in to make it work, etc. At the end of this section, please include one of the following ratings:
- 3/5 - Decent Product is Average for what one would expect from the RPG industry
- 4/5 - Solid Product shows that a great deal of time, effort and talent was put into it

Closing Thoughts: Give your overall final opinion of the product, which can include things such as how to improve it, or recommend other games/adventures that do what this was trying to do better. Give it as much praise or scorn as you feel it deserves. And finally, at the end, include one of the following ratings:
- Strongly Recommend Everyone should own this product
- Moderately Recommend You can recommend it to some folks, but it isn't for everyone
- Do Not Recommend Avoid like the plague
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donated.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: RPG Reviews - Read This First to Learn How This Works

Post by Ares »

Review format to copy/paste:

Opening Thoughts:

Presentation:

Content:

Closing Thoughts:
- Strongly Recommend
- Moderately Recommend
- Do Not Recommend