Spammers ahoy

Questions or concerns about the site? Have a suggestion, comment or critique? Make them known here.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Spammers ahoy

Post by Ares »

Apologies for the inconvenience, folks. They're just coming out of the woodwork today.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Okay guys, that should be the last of them. *knocks on wood*

I have to apologize, as this was largely my fault. I'd gotten a bit too complacent and hadn't been going through the members list to keep an eye out for trouble signs. I've since gone back and did some aggressive pest control and will be more vigilant from here on out.

Sorry again about the inconvenience.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Shoulda knocked on that wood harder. Christ, what did we do to draw so many spam bits today?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

No idea. I changed some of the security settings, hopefully that will put a dent in it. I'll do best to head this off until this most recent flare up is dealt with.

Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Well, we always appriciate your efforts either way Ares.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

As always a big THANK YOU to Ares for working hard to keep the forum clear.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And a thank you right back to everyone for being vigilant and helping me keep said forums clean.

kirinke

Post by kirinke »

They're like raccoons. Only not as cute.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:11 pm And a thank you right back to everyone for being vigilant and helping me keep said forums clean.
Glad to help. :) I'm a flagger at heart.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Gabbert is apparently confused about what sort of "games" we play here.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hey folks. Just thought I'd post an update.

I've gone through and cleared up the latest batch of spammers, but it's clear that the older methods weren't stopping them as much anymore. As such, at the suggestion of one of our regulars, I've instituted a new policy, whereby I will now activate newly submitted accounts myself instead of them receiving an automatic email invitation. I've got several methods for identifying if a new account is likely a spammer, so I can cut them off before they ever reach the board.

Now, it also means that I won't catch every spammer if they don't fall into at least 2 of my 3 red flag systems, but hopefully this will reduce the amount of potential forum spam considerably. I'd like to thank everyone for helping out in keeping an eye out on spammers, and ask you to keep up the good work.