BBC:What if Hillary Clinton had become president?

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Spectrum

BBC:What if Hillary Clinton had become president?

Post by Spectrum »

So, lets start this with the normal cautions about being nice and well behaved towards each other.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... -president

Reading over this article, I'm curious on how people take it. Personally, it just seems more and more of the denying of reality that has covered this entire subject. There were good reasons why people chose to support or not support people in the 2016 US Presidential race. The same with Brexit. I can understand why people would want to write speculative fiction set in a world where things had gone differently. I think that it is however, rather deceptive that they only talk about the how much more wonderful if things had gone the other direction. I guess I'm more interested in them also discussing how differently worse things could have been. But that really doesn't serve the BBCs left leaning bias.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
FuzzyBoots

Re: BBC:What if Hillary Clinton had become president?

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I think you may have skimmed the article a bit, because, outside of the dream sequence in The Good Fight, they point out that these are not books set in a "better world", but just a different one, and they make the same comment about other alternate takes (except taking a jab at Hollywood magic wand erasure of sexism and racism).

Personally, I think it would have been, indeed, different. I think that Clinton would probably have served as more of a foil to the Republican Congress, but the pendulum would have swayed, as it always does, with people backing the Republicans instead of turning away from them. I suspect that there probably would have also been some much more morally ambiguous actions in the area of military and espionage. Clinton's always been more hard-nosed than Trump and, much like with Obama, there would have been sponsored drone strikes, etc.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I read the article a little and I love reading what if type articles, but they always go with the bias of the writer. There is so many variables it's almost impossible to make a good prediction.

All of that said, if Hillary had won, I'd imagine it would be alot like the Obama years once Democrats lost congress. Congress would fight Clinton at every turn and Clinton would resort to alot of executive actions. Lawsuits from Republicans would fly and so on. International relations wise, America wouldn't have likely shruken from the international stage and would be more diplomatic with various enemies and allies alike.

Whether we'd be better or worse off all depends on who you talk to and their value system. I don't hide my dislike of Trump and think he has done alot of damage to the country, but depending on who you talk to he has been a great president.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Reading an article by the BRITISH Broadcasting Company about the American presidency isn't worth my time.

Mae West said it best: when choosing between two evils, I like to pick the one I haven't tried before.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Sci-fi master William Gibson's novel Agency is set partly in a world where Hillary is president and Brexit never happened.
To be fair most mainstream media accounts already read like they are written by science fiction authors, writing about an alternate reality. Sure as heck the mainstream media isn't writing about anything that's been happening in the real world.

If you want to imagine a cool alternate universe here's one to contemplate: Imagine a world where our news was composed entirely of fact based reporting, without editorialising & where the news was a go to source of expert information & not pundit speculation.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

saint_matthew wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:11 pm
Sci-fi master William Gibson's novel Agency is set partly in a world where Hillary is president and Brexit never happened.
To be fair most mainstream media accounts already read like they are written by science fiction authors, writing about an alternate reality. Sure as heck the mainstream media isn't writing about anything that's been happening in the real world.

If you want to imagine a cool alternate universe here's one to contemplate: Imagine a world where our news was composed entirely of fact based reporting, without editorialising & where the news was a go to source of expert information & not pundit speculation.
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers!" Replace lawyers in that sentence with pundits and you're on to something great.