Gaming Conventions - 2020

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Ares
Site Admin

Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Ares »

Hey guys. I figure some of us might be hitting some gaming conventions this year, and thought it might be fun to have a topic where anyone that wants to can coordinate about where they might be going and if anyone wants to meet up. I'm going to try and attend several conventions this year to playtest my own RPG system, so I'll post the ones I plan to make here. Feel free to do likewise.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by RUSCHE »

I am attending the Comic Con in Novi Mi this May, i have been to a strictly RPG con, what type of setup are you using on Your RPG?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:06 am I am attending the Comic Con in Novi Mi this May, i have been to a strictly RPG con, what type of setup are you using on Your RPG?
If you mean how it works, the first convention I'm heading to is Owlcon, being held at Rice University in Houston Texas from February 28 to March 1st. The way it works is that there's a dealers room, but then other rooms on campus are rented out so that folks can run games there in 4 or 8 hour blocks, maybe even 12. If you run at least 8 hours worth of games you get free admittance.

I'm running six 4 hour games across multiple genres. The system is a homebrew I'm looking to self-publish later this year or early next year. I want to keep a bit of a lid on it until all the legal corners are covered, but I can say that it uses a deck of cards instead of dice to give the players more control over their actions. So far it's proven very popular with the groups I've run them with.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:47 am
RUSCHE wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:06 am I am attending the Comic Con in Novi Mi this May, i have been to a strictly RPG con, what type of setup are you using on Your RPG?
If you mean how it works, the first convention I'm heading to is Owlcon, being held at Rice University in Houston Texas from February 28 to March 1st. The way it works is that there's a dealers room, but then other rooms on campus are rented out so that folks can run games there in 4 or 8 hour blocks, maybe even 12. If you run at least 8 hours worth of games you get free admittance.

I'm running six 4 hour games across multiple genres. The system is a homebrew I'm looking to self-publish later this year or early next year. I want to keep a bit of a lid on it until all the legal corners are covered, but I can say that it uses a deck of cards instead of dice to give the players more control over their actions. So far it's proven very popular with the groups I've run them with.
I can't wait to hear more about this, good luck and it be a amazing success
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm Hey guys. I figure some of us might be hitting some gaming conventions this year, and thought it might be fun to have a topic where anyone that wants to can coordinate about where they might be going and if anyone wants to meet up. I'm going to try and attend several conventions this year to playtest my own RPG system, so I'll post the ones I plan to make here. Feel free to do likewise.
I doubt I can interest you in coming to some gaming convention in Italy ;)
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:00 pm
Ares wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm Hey guys. I figure some of us might be hitting some gaming conventions this year, and thought it might be fun to have a topic where anyone that wants to can coordinate about where they might be going and if anyone wants to meet up. I'm going to try and attend several conventions this year to playtest my own RPG system, so I'll post the ones I plan to make here. Feel free to do likewise.
Interest? Yes. Ability to attend? Not so much
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:00 pm
Yeah, what Shock said. Would love to go if not for the cost and the language barrier. Trying and failing to get through first semester Spanish three times told me that I might suck at foreign languages.

Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I live in Central Texas myself, and I've always wanted to try my hand at con-going. Maybe I'll keep Owl-con in mind, that'd be interesting if it involved meeting our very own admin.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So about those gaming conventions...
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Gaming conventions in general may or may not get put on hold with the C-Virus going around. I'm hoping to attend Origins in June, but we'll have to wait and see.

Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Perhaps it's a good thing I missed that one in Houston after all.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Add PaizoCon 2020 to the list of the canceled. Since that's in May ... I am not hopeful for Origins or even GenCon.

Of course, I'm not hopeful in general.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."