Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Narsha

Post by Jabroniville »

"... Father... I hope you're watching me fight. As the princess of Runefaust, I shall put an end to this!"
-Narsha, during the final battle against Dark Dragon

NARSHA
First Appearance:
Shining Force I (GBA Remake)
Class: Shaman/Guru
Role: Healer
Weapons: Staves
PL 7 (168), PL 8 (168) vs. Magic
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+6)
Expertise (Priest) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Royalty) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 1 (+4)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Staves +4), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Aura 4" Healing 12 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (72) -- [84]
  • AE: "Aura 1" Healing 4 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Selective) (14)
  • AE: "Aura 2" Healing 4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable -1/2- 8/day) (14)
  • AE: "Aura 3" Healing 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (24)
  • AE: "Attack 1" Enhanced Strength 2 & Ranged Damage 2 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (10)
  • AE: "Attack 2" Enhanced Strength 2 & Ranged Damage 2 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (18)
  • AE: "Attack 3" Enhanced Strength 3 & Ranged Damage 3 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 2/day -2) (24)
  • AE: "Step 1" Speed +1 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged) (3)
  • AE: "Step 2" Speed +2 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (7)
  • AE: "Step 3" Speed +3 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (12)
  • AE: "Boost 1" Protection +2 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Against Magic) (4)
  • AE: "Boost 2" Protection +3 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day, Limited to Against Magic) (8)
  • AE: "Boost 3" Protection +4 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 2/day -2, Limited to Against Magic) (8)
"Magic Resistance" Protection 4 (Flaws: Limited to Against Magic) [2]

Equipment:
"Staves" Strength-Damage +3

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Staff +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+8 vs. Magic), Fortitude +5, Will +9

Complications:
Relationship (Ramladu- Father)- Narsha's father is the King of Runefaust, which has now invaded much of the world, all because her father is being controlled by the evil Darksol.
Responsibility (Princess of Runefaust)- Narsha's responsibility is also to her people.
Power Loss (Magic- MP)- All Magic requires a base level of "Magic Points" to cast- Unreliable spells thus stack, so casting them multiple times can also prevent other spells from working.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 14 (168)

-Narsha appears in the Game Boy Advance version of Shining Force I, and alters the game's story slightly- she is the daughter of Ramladu, the King of Runefaust, and joins the Shining Force after a short prologue that features her teaming up with Zuika the insectoid assassin and Mawlock the card-wielding summoner. Her little bits are simple enough, though I didn't realize in my first playthrough that if you were beaten, you passed out until a later Chapter of the main game. Narsha's "Shaman" class effectively acts a a more ally-boosting version of a Vicar, and she's easily the best of that type of character in the game, to the point of being broken and unfair to the other healer. Because it's ALL ABOUT HER!- NARSHA, NARSHA, NARSHA!!

-Narsha packs a Main Character's statline, alongside the ridiculous "Aura 4", plus THREE character-boosting spells that upgrade from Levels 1-3- Attack boosts hitting power, Step increases speed, and Boost gives them resistance to magic. With Narsha buffing up your forces, they are quickly able to overwhelm even mighty foes. The only issue with their third-tier levels is that the MP cost is so high (40-ish) that you can only cast it once or twice before running out of juice.
Jabroniville

Zuika

Post by Jabroniville »

"Fate can be so strange sometimes. Dark Dragon! I know what it's like... to be hated by people and sealed away... But still... your existence is an abomination! Be silent and return to the darkness!"

ZUIKA
First Appearance:
Class: Assassin/Terminator
Role: Assassin Bug
Weapons: Sword & Magic
PL 10 (115)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Athletics 11 (+14)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Steath 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Equipment 1 (Doom Blade +5), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Initiative 2

Powers:
"Bug Physiology"
Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Doom Blade +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)- Zuika claims to have been sealed in the past, thought to be evil.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 12 (115)

-Zuika appears inexplicably in the GBA remake of Shining Force I by bursting through a wall and declaring that he can sense the good inside Princess Narsha- he thus joins the heroes, forming a trio in the game's prologue before being recruited later. A mysterious bug-man, he shares little about himself.

-Zuika is incredibly fast and deadly in melee, and hard to hit, while also being somewhat durable- effectively, he's another kind of Hanzou, but isn't as tough as the Secret Character turns out to be, being PL 10 on offense, PL 8 on defense. Curiously, when leveled up to the "Terminator" class, he will lose 30% of his HP, but pick up hitting power and movement speed.
Jabroniville

Mawlock

Post by Jabroniville »

"I Well, well! So the Dark Dragon has finally come to play. Alright, then. I suppose it's up to me to finish this. It's against my principles, but I'll dirty my hands just this once─ to bury you."

MAWLOCK
First Appearance:
Class: Card Master
Role: Game-Breaker, Summoner
Weapons: Unarmed & Cards
PL 8 (199)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+13)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Ninja) 10 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Steath 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Equipment 1 (Doom Blade +5), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Mawlock's Cards"
"Copy" Variable 10 (Stats of Another Shining Force Member) (Flaws: Source- Card of That Character, Limited to One Character) (50) -- [52]
  • AE: "Effect" Variable 4 (One Power Based Off Of Card) (Flaws: Source- Card of That Character, Limited to One Character) (20)
  • AE: "Move" Multiattack to Strength-Damage 10 & Enhanced Advantages 2: Takedown 2 (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Source- Card of That Character, Limited to One Character) (6)
"Imitate" Summon Copy of Ally 10 (Extras: Active, Controlled) (Flaws: Source- Card of That Character) [30]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Doing What's Right)

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 14 (199)

-The monstrous-looking, huge-chinned Mawlock is Narsha's first ally in the prologue to the Game Boy Advance remake of Shining Force I, and turns out to be the MOST BROKEN CHARACTER EVER, effectively being a Summoner (in a game where a limited roster has to fight tactically), Power-Copier, or Variable-Powered guy with tons of effects based off of the different cards you can find throughout the game.

-"Copy" allows Mawlock to mimic the stats of another Shining Force member, while "Move" allows another character to move a second time in the battle- itself nearly game-breaking (M&M lacks multiple actions, so I went with Multiattack/Takedown. "Imitate" allows a Summon of another Force member, but with only 10 HP, meaning he's under Minion rules (so... the standard way Summon works, albeit with Controlled & Active, since they can move like normal). Finally, there's "Effect", with many different powers based off of the cards you find scattered around the world. "Dark Dragon" allows you to damage all the enemies on-screen at once, "Laser Eye" sets out an Area Attack beam of energy, and more!

Ally Card Types: Amon (Speed +2), Arthur, Ken, Mae, Pelle, Vankar, Earnest, Alef (attack from any range??), Guntz (reduce ally's damage- probably to weaken foes and leave them for someone who needs the XP), Hans & Diane (+1 to ally's range), Khris & Lowe (Restore ally's HP), Luke (raise Toughness), Mawlock (restore used cards), Narsha (restore MP), Max (Super Egress), Zuika (Instant Death Attack!), Adam (Attack w/ enemy's own attack power), Anri (attack with a range of 2), Balbaroy & Kokichi (ally can fly), Bleu, Domingo (attack enemies within two spaces), Gong (cancel an enemy's turn- a one-off Paralyzed Affliction), Gort (increase ally's attack), Hanzou (boost ally's speed), Lyle (+2 to ally's distance), Musashi (gives ally a Critical Hit), Tao (attack from any range), Yogurt (something BAD happens?), Torasu (Shield for all allies), Zylo (Ally boosted to "Beast"-level speed)

Enemy Card Types: Rune Knight, Silver Knight, Pegasus Knight, Elliot, Marionette, Hellhound & Demon Master (attack from any range), Skeleton (puts an enemy to sleep), Ghoul (Poisons enemy), Gobgovitch (Extreme random damage), Laser Eye, Mishaela, Darksol & Dark Dragon (Damage All Enemies), Soul Eater (boosts HP for 5 turns), Balbazak (Raise ally's attack, defense or speed), Master Mage (attack enemies within 2 spaces), Dullahan (Instead Death Attack!), Kane (Egress), Chaos (attack with enemy's own attack power), Ramladu (Prevent enemy from acting- Paralyze), Colossus (Raise ally's defense)
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Anri! Domingo! Hanzou! Musashi! Bleu!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I think Zuika's attack/movement boost activates when he's below 30% HP during battle while promoted, if I remember right. But yeah, the new characters are pretty ridiculously unbalancing, particularly Mawlock.
Jabroniville

Balbazak

Post by Jabroniville »

BALBAZAK
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Class: Boss
Role: Stage Boss
Weapons: Swords
PL 9 (92)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 10 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 1 (Sword +3, Armor +1), Improved Critical (Sword), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +3

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sword +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Darksol's Will)- Balbazak has apparently been reanimated with Darksol's magic, and owes him his life. If he chooses to betray his masters, the punishment will be dire.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (92)

-Balbazak is a somewhat distinctive, Demonic-looking Mid-Boss in the game, leading a group of Runefaust soldiers. He is apparently enhanced by Darksol's magic, and had killed many of Earnest's men- Earnest joins the Shining Force as a result. He is immobile in the battle, meaning you can "cheat" a bit and target him with only ranged fighters, but despite pretty high stats overall, he's beatable in a more honorable method as well. If you choose to spare him in battle, he will give you his ship... and immediately be executed by Darksol.

-A big, strong fighter, Balbazak is typical of many "Generals"- he takes a long time to bring down and hits very hard, but can be overwhelmed if attacked en masse. You likely fight him when you're at PL 6-ish in M&M terms, so he's probably stronger than most of your force.
Jabroniville

Elliot

Post by Jabroniville »

ELLIOT
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Role: Stage Boss, Tragic Enemy
PL 9 (93)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 10 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 1 (Sword +3, Armor +1, Shield +1), Improved Critical (Sword), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sword +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+9 Shield, DC 19), Parry +10 (+11 Shield, DC 21), Toughness +6 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Darksol's Will)- Balbazak has apparently been reanimated with Darksol's magic, and owes him his life. If he chooses to betray his masters, the punishment will be dire.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (93)

-I find Fire Emblem has a lot of these guys, but here's one in Shining Force- the "Tragic, Honorable Enemy". Someone who is good and noble, yet through the hand of fate, must be one of your enemies. A soldier loyal to Runefaust, Elliot is one of the last of the Dragonute race (your ally, Nova, is one as well), and would otherwise have been a good ally for the Shining Force. Instead, you're forced to kill him on the field of battle. This is a very "Japanese" trope, as people screwed over by destiny and fate are a common element in their stories, either by folklore or fact (the 47 Ronin, for example, are a bit of both). In any case, his son is one of the selectable characters in Shining Force Gaiden/CD.

-Elliot's stats are almost identical to Balbazak's, but I made him a bit different Skill-wise.
Jabroniville

Chaos

Post by Jabroniville »

CHAOS
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Class: Robot
Role: Reprogrammed Robot, Stage Boss
Weapons: Unarmed & Laser
PL 10 (138)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+10)
Expertise (History) 10 (+11)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 10 [10]
"Laser Cannon" Blast 10 [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Laser +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (The Shining Force)- Chaos has been reprogrammed by Darksol into fighting the Shining Force.
Vulnerable (Magic)- Robots are weak against Magic.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 9 (138)

-One of the final Bosses fought in the game is Chaos- effectively a Mirror Image Villain of Adam, he is a mutated-looking robot who was meant to lead the Adams against Dark Dragon if he ever reappeared- instead, he is now reprogrammed by Darksol into fighting the heroes.

-A Robot like Adam, with high defenses, toughness and attack. His laser attack cuts through even durable troops, but he can be easily overwhelmed as a threat on foot. Heals 15 HP a turn.
Jabroniville

Colossus

Post by Jabroniville »

COLOSSUS
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Class: Robot
Role: Guardian Robots
Weapons: Elemental Power
PL 10 (119)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+10)
Expertise (History) 10 (+11)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 11 [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Laser +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +11, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (The Shining Force)- Chaos has been reprogrammed by Darksol into fighting the Shining Force.
Vulnerable (Magic)- Robots are weak against Magic.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 9 (119)

-Three separate entities with mid-tier Dragon-level stats, but Bolt, Blaze & Freeze all at Level 3. With high durability, they are a real nuisance to the Shining Force, and their elemental spells can put a hurting on you if you bunch up, so the best way to deal with them is to fight the heads one at a time, sending powerful melee troops in, then mopping up with ranged attacks (particularly Magic).

Individual Heads:
LEFT HEAD- PL 10 (146): "Freeze 3" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) [27]
MIDDLE HEAD- PL 10 (149): "Bolt 3" Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [30]
RIGHT HEAD- PL 10 (119): "Blaze 3" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) [27]
Jabroniville

Mishaela

Post by Jabroniville »

MISHAELA
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Class: Enemy
Role: Evil Sorceress
Weapons: Magic
PL 10 (144)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+10)
Deception 7 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+13)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Bolt 2" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [21]
"Magical Force Field" Protection 5 [5]
Regeneration 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bolt 2 +7 Area (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5 (+10 Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Darksol)- When killed, Mishaela says she wishes to see Darksol one last time. In one continuity, they have a son named Mephisto.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 12 (144)

-One of the great things about Shining Force was the fact that even the SUB-BOSSES were excellent, memorable characters. Darksol's right-hand at one point was the blue-skinned Dark Elf, Mishaela, and in your main battle against her, you get the disctinctive setting of the circus tent, where you're attacked by evil Marionettes, Evil Puppets & Dire Clowns. This just STANDS OUT, and makes the game so much more memorable than if it'd been Generic Anime Antagonist #257. In one continuity, she is the mother of Darksol's child, Mephisto.

-Mishaela went over so well that she became the Final Boss of Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict for the Game Gear system, having been resurrected somehow.

-Mishaela doesn't look so powerful here, but she has great defenses (PL 10 in Parry & Dodge), and a PL 7 Area Attack that's more or less limitless (her MP is never registered, unlike with your characters, who'd typically have limited numbers of castings available). +7 doesn't sound like a lot of damage, but you're probably only PL 7-8 by the time you face her, and it's an undodgeable Area Attack, and none of y'all have Evasion. Plus you have to fight all of her goons first. Ideally, you face Mishaela after taking all of those guys out (two Dullahans guard her), and with your forces spread apart- she can hit thirteen fighters if you bunch them together improperly! Like most high-end foes in the game, she is both very durable (I chose to go with a Force Field, as she's the only unarmored foe to be so tough), and has Regeneration.
Jabroniville

Shining Force Mooks

Post by Jabroniville »

SHINING FORCE ENEMIES
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Class: Enemy
Role: Mooks, Elite Mooks, Stage Bosses, Bosses Turned Mooks
Weapons: Various
PL 3 (29)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
Various

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (29)

-So I was going to leave simple notes as to the Mooks you face in Shining Force I, but after detailing all of them I decided to make even MORE work for myself and list out all of their Toughness, Accuracy, & Damage potential! This was an interesting look at the foes as they elevate themselves, but HOLY CRAP was this way too much work and effort, so I won't be doing it for the other games, lol.

-What's funny is as I slowly upgraded in Toughness and such, I more or less added them up to where I figured Balbazak & Elliot would be- it was a complete coincidence that their Toughness on the chart lined up EXACTLY where I'd initially statted them, as I'd finished them way before starting this list. Go me!

ENEMIES:
* Here's a list of enemies, ordered approximately by overall toughness. Typically they upgrade in HP over time, but various ones (like Conches, Seashells & Worms) are encountered much later, but in greater amounts. Note that Undead are more vulnerable to "Blaze" spells.

Bottom Tier Foes:
* These guys are your earliest foes, many of whom are total weaksauce. PL 3 densively, PL 3-4 offensively.

GOBLIN- PL 4 (30): Equipment (Sword +2) [1]
-Bottom tier and easily killed (PL 3 defensively). The first enemy to disappear from the game.

DARK DWARF- PL 4 (30): Equipment (Axe +2) [1]
-Slow and barely stronger than Goblins- enough so that their stats are identical.

GIANT BAT- PL 6 (46): Teeth +2 Linked to Sleep 8 (Flaws: Touch Range), Defenses +2, Flight 3 (Winged) [17]
-Highly-mobile fast units with decent toughness and the "Sleep" spell as a regular attack, as well as high defenses.

SNIPER- PL 4 (36): Equipment 2 (Bow- Blast 3), Ranged Attack 5 [7]
-Bow-users; very frail.

RUNE KNIGHT- PL 5 (34): FIGHTING +1, Equipment (Lance +3), Speed 2 [5]
-Evil Centaurs with high movement and decent attack- the first guys to really make you watch out.

HELLHOUND- PL 5 (53): STA +3, Bite +2, "Flame Breath" Blast 5 (Diminished Range -1), Speed 1, Ranged Attack 4, "Two Heads" Second Chance (Mind Control, Perception Checks) [24]
-Strong-looking, but weak except for a flaming breath weapon.

DARK MAGE- PL 6 (50): "Blaze 2" Area Blast 6, AE: "Blaze 1" Blast 3, Ranged Attack 5 [21]
-The first mages you fight, they have Blaze 1-2, which makes them PL 6 and fairly threatening to bunched-up groups. Fragile as hell, so use physical attacks against them.

ZOMBIE- PL 4 (42): FIGHTING +1, Slam +2 Linked to Weaken Stamina 3 (Progressive) [13]
-Slightly higher defenses start sprouting up around this level. Thier melee attacks can poison you (doing damage with each turn). Undead, so weak against "Blaze".

SKELETON- PL 5 (34): FIGHTING +2, Equipment (Sword +2) [5]
-Slightly better and faster than Zombies. Upgraded later on. Undead.

Second-Tier Foes:
* These guys start slowly getting better with time. Add this Template:

2nd Tier Boost- PL 4 (35): ST 2, STA 3, FIGHTING 5 [6]

SEABAT- PL 5 (45): STA +2, Damage +3, Flight 3 (Winged) [10]
-Similar stats to other foes around this level, but can fly. Fought on the overseas missions.

CONCH- PL 6 (63): ST +2, STA +2, Damage +2 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Progressive) [28]
-Weaker nuisances encountered on a ship. Poisoned attacks.

SHELLFISH- PL 5 (67): ST +2, STA +3, FIGHTING +1, Damage +2 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Progressive) [32]
-Slightly tougher than Conches. Also poisonous.

WORM- PL 7 (55): ST +3, STA +3, Linked to Sleep 8 (Touch Range) [20]
-Low stats by the time you encounter them, but can inflict "Sleep" with their physical attacks.

MANNEQUIN- PL 5 (45): ST +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 3 (Progressive) [10]
-Fought only in Mishaela's Circus Tent- similar to Zombies, complete with poisoned attacks.

EVIL PUPPET- PL 5 (48): FIGHTING -1, Equipment (Power Staff +3, Shield Ring- Toughness +1), "Heal" Healing 4, AE: "Freeze" Blast 3, Ranged Attack 5 [13]
-Similar to Mannequins, but can Freeze & Heal, and have a Shield Ring.

DIRE CLOWN- PL 5 (39): ST +2 [4]
-Slightly above Evil Puppets in combat, but no extras.

DARK ELF- PL 6 (43): Equipment 2 (Blast 5), Ranged Attack 6 [8]
-Better archers, still frail.

DARK PRIEST- PL 6 (44): Equipment (Power Staff +3, Shield Ring- Toughness +1), "Heal" Healing 4 [9]
-Healers.

Third-Tier Foes:
* Even more superior enemies. Add this Template:

3rd Tier Boost- PL 5 (43): ST 4, STA 4, FIGHTING 6 [14]

GHOUL- PL 6 (44): Damage +1 [1]
-Slightly stronger than Dire Clowns. No extras. Undead.

LIZARDMAN- PL 6 (46): STA +1, Equipment (Axe +2) [3]
-Slightly superior physical foes.

SILVER KNIGHT- PL 6 (46): Equipment (Lance +1), Speed 2 [3]
-Basic Centaur fighters.

PEGASUS KNIGHT- PL 6 (48): Equipment (Lance +2, Armor +1), Flight 3 (Winged), AE: Speed 2 [5]
-Semi-iconic to me are the WINGED Centaur Knights, sporting incredible movement speeds. Ultra-fast flying troops with decent stats, adding up to around PL 6, which would only slightly be trailing your team at the time you fight them.

MARIONETTE (Stage Boss)- PL 9 (67): ST +1, STA +1, "Freeze 3" Unreliable Area Blast 9, AE: "Freeze 2" Area Blast 6, AE: "Freeze" Blast 3 [24]
-A Stage Boss fought before Mishaela. Freeze 1-3 and good stats across the board. Ideally, you engage physically as she'll be forced to strike you instead, because at the level you fight this thing, "Freeze 3" will ANNIHILATE you.

MASTER MAGE- PL 7 (63): ST -1, STA +1, FIGHTING +1, Equipment (Holy Staff +5), "Freeze 2" Area Blast 6 [20]
-Better mages with "Freeze 2" and a heavy-duty stave as a weapon.

Yes, a giant sci-fi death-weapon falls into the hands of the villains. This is what makes "Shining Force" so cool.

LASER EYE: Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2, Limited to After Charging (16 Equipment Points)
-A Runefaust weapon that fires out an enormous beam after 10 turns of charging- anything in its way takes MASSIVE damage.

ARTILLERY- PL 5 (43): Blast 6 (12 Equipment Points)
-Low-toughness (Toughness +2) ranged weapons that can be manned by enemy troops.

SKELETON, Version 2- PL 6 (44): Equipment (Sword +1, Shield Ring- Toughness +1) [1]
-Have a Shield Ring. Undead.

Elite Foes:
* The "Elite Mooks" of the game, often fought as Stage Bosses before they reappear as regular Mooks. Add this Template:

Elite Boost- PL 6 (49): ST 5, STA 5, FIGHTING 7 [20]

GARGOYLE- PL 7 (66): Damage +1, "Muddle" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged), Ranged Attack 6 [17]
-Fairly tough, and can cast "Muddle".

HIGH PRIEST- PL 5 (69): FIGHTING -2, Equipment (Holy Staff +4), "Heal 4" Healing 12 [20]
-Decent toughness and "Heal 4".

GOLEM- PL 7 (55): ST +2, STA +1 [6]
-Fairly tough, strong creatures.

DULLAHAN- PL 8 (56): STA +2, FIGHTING +1, Equipment (Sword +3) [7]
-Your strongest physical foes so far, they are highly powerful at first. Broad sword, Shield Ring.

BOWRIDER- PL 7 (61): Equipment 2 (Assault Shell- Blast 6), Ranged Attack 8, Speed 2 [12]
-Highly-mobile Centaur Archer troops with ranged attacks via the Assault Shell.

BELIAL- PL 7 (72): ST +2, STA +1, "Bolt 1" Blast 4, Ranged Attack 7, Flight 2 (Winged) [23]
-Hard to hit, high-speed enemies with "Bolt 1".

JET- PL 8 (67): ST +3, STA +2, FIGHTING +1, Flight 3 [18]
-Highly-mobile, flying units that are also incredibly durable. High agility.

Super-Elite Foes:
* The top-tier Mooks of the game, going from fairly powerful PL 8-9 monsters, Mages & Archers to true PL 10 monsters that have to be fought VERY carefully by your heroes. The most elite of these are almost as durable as many of the later Stage Bosses like Chaos & Colossus, though not as versatile. Add this Template:

Super-Elite Boost- PL 6 (59): ST 7, STA 7, FIGHTING 8 [30]

TORCH EYE- PL 8 (81): Blast 7, Ranged Attack 8 [22]
-Fire ranged energy beams with heavy damage. Solid HP.

ICE WORM- PL 8 (61): Ice Attack +1, Features 1 (Attacks Count as Cold Damage) [2]
-Heavy damage from ice attacks, but lower defenses than other monsters of this tier.

STEEL CLAW- PL 8 (78): Damage +2, Flight 2, No STA, Immunity 30 (Fort. Effects), Protection 7 [43]
-Curious foes, these are floating, one-armed automotons. High toughness and damage but lower HP.

WYVERN- PL 9 (89): STA +1, "Fire Breath" Blast 9, Ranged Attack 8, Flight 3 (Winged) [30]
-Flying monsters with high toughness and Fire Breath.

MINOTAUR- PL 9 (59): STA +1, Equipment (Club +2) [3]
-Incredibly strong, but rather slow for this stage of the game- most other enemies at this stage are faster.

CERBERUS- PL 9 (64): Bite +2, Speed 3 [5]
-Very fast-moving troops with good stats. Can use a magical attack for more damage.

DEMON MASTER- PL 9 (74): ST -2, Equipment (Demon Rod +5), "Freeze 3" Burst Area Damage 9 [15]
-Formidable Spellcasters with "Freeze 3" Area Attacks. High HP and good agility.

HORSEMAN- PL 9 (71): STA -1, Equipment 3 (Buster Shot- Blast 8), Ranged Attack 9, Speed 2 [12]
-Elite ranged units with "Buster Shots", but lower Toughness.

ARMED SKELETON- PL 10 (68): STA +1, FIGHTING +2, Damage +3 [9]
-Extremely high attack & toughness, and have magic spells of some kind.

CHIMAERA- PL 10 (70): STA +2, FIGHTING +2, Damage +3 [11]
-Appear in huge numbers and have great stats. Focus on using magical Area Attacks.

BLUE DRAGON- PL 10 (100): STA +2, FIGHTING +2, Damage +3, "Ice Breath" Blast 10, Ranged Attack 10 [41]
-Chimaera-like stats, but have an Ice Breath ranged attack. The final battles use a LOT of Chimaeras & Blue Dragons.
Jabroniville

Kane

Post by Jabroniville »

KANE
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Class: N/A
Role: Mid-Boss, Hero's Dark Mirror Image
PL 11 (160)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 8 (+11)

Advantages:
Diehard, Equipment 2 (Armor +5), Fearless, Improved Critical (Swords) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Dark Saber" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
"Desoul" Blast 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 3) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) Linked to Weaken Stamina 10 (Extras: Ranged) (Inaccurate -2) (22) -- (23 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +7 (Extras: Penetrating 10) (17)
"Dark Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Protection 5 (5)
Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended) (30)
-- (35 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword of Darkness +12 (+10 Damage, DC 27)
Desoul +9 (+11 Ranged Damage & +10 Ranged Weaken, DC 26-20)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5 (+10 Armor), Fortitude +7, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility (Amnesiac)- Kane remembers little of his past.
Relationship (Max)
Responsibility (Mind-Controlled)- Kane's actions are controlled by the mask he wears.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 14 (160)

-Kane is the "hand" of Darksol throughout much of the story of Shining Force I- your classic "Black Knight", he opposes the heroes frequently, and is responsible for the death of Guardiana's king. However, as time goes on, you learn his backstory and a Star Wars-style twist: Kane is Max's BROTHER, and the two were trained to prevent the resurrection of Dark Dragon after 1,000 years. However, both were rendererd amnesiac, with Kane being turned into a minion of Darksol's thanks to a mind-controlling mask. Eventually, Max defeats Kane and destroys the mask, and Kane fights against Darksol- he dies from injuries sustained there, and begs Max to continue on.

-Kane is a very high-end fighter by the time you fight him, and is the toughest boss for a while- only Chaos, Colossus and others match him, and you fight those guys MUCH later. The Dark Saber is a Desoul-casting death-blade that resembles a Lightsaber, and makes him PL 11 on offense to match his PL 11 parry. A slash from the Dark Saber will kill most of your units in one hit, so your only real shot is to rapidly divebomb him.
Jabroniville

Ramladu

Post by Jabroniville »

Ramladu: "... ... ...unnngh... ... ... Well done, Max! You are a worthy leader of this Shining Force!"
Anri: "King Ramladu!"
Ramladu: "That voice... You're Princess Anri of Guardiana! I'm so sorry. I've done your kingdom a terrible wrong... And your father... Attacking my own sister kingdom...what a fool I was. Please forgive me... My desire for power caused me to fall prey to Darksol's temptations, and he used me..."

KING RAMLADU
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Role: Stage Boss, Tragic Enemy, Mind-Controlled King
Weapons: Staves
PL 12 (129)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 4 (King of Runefaust), Equipment 1 (Holy Staff +5, Shield +1), Improved Critical (Sword), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Equipment:

Powers:
"Aura 3" Healing 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) [24]

"Magical Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [10]
Protection 6 (6)
Regeneration 6 (6)
-- (12 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Holy Staff +11 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+9 Shield, DC 19), Parry +11 (+12 Shield, DC 21-22), Toughness +6 (+12 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Ramladu was a good king, but desired more power. Leaving him easy prey to...
Responsibility (Darksol's Will)- Ramladu is under the control of Darksol.
Relationship (Narsha- Daughter)- In the GBA remake, Ramladu's daughter Narsha opposes the evil of Darksol.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 9 (129)

-Ramladu is the King of Runefaust, the nation that invades you in the early moments of Shining Force I- rarely seen, it's clear early on that he's being manipulated by his Evil Vizier, Darksol. The most powerful boss so far, the King of Runefaust has high HP, toughness, attack, and more. He regenerates 24 HP a round and can cast "Aura 3" over his own troops. Divebomb him with your toughest units immediately, backed up by ranged attackers. Overall, he is PL 10.5 in melee (his "Holy Staff" is clearly a MACE that he spins around malevolently), almost impossible to bring down, and PL 11.5 with his Parry- overwhelming force is required to stop him.
Jabroniville

DarkSol

Post by Jabroniville »

"Do you know... why I travelled through time to come here? I shall tell you now.
The gods...the ancient ones... wished to destroy the races that they had created...
For this purpose, they created Dark Dragon. And at the same time... they chose one man to wield the power to control Dark Dragon. They altered his body so that he became the mind of a creature. That man...was me!

Darksol... the Dark Soul... I was given this odious name at that time. All memory of my previous life was erased. And from then on... I was nothing but a tool, the "brain" of Dark Dragon. It was a miserable fate. But then I had a thought- I would take control of Dark Dragon, just as they wished... and use it to get my revenge! And until that time... Nothing would stand in my way!

Hear me, Dark Dragon! I give myself over to you! As promised in ancient times, I shall serve as your mind! Yes, I see! You too, wish this to happen! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Dark Dragon... lives again!"

DARKSOL
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Role: The Big Bad, Evil Vizier, Dark Lord
Weapons: Staves & Magic
PL 12 (188)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+9)
Deception 7 (+12)
Expertise (History) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+14)
Insight 3 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+11)
Perception 6 (+11)
Persuasion 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Diehard, Equipment 2 (Staff +4), Fearless, Improved Critical (Swords) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Demon Blaze" Blast 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [33]
"Magical Shield" Protection 2 [2]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Staff +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Demon Blaze +11 Area (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +10 (+12 Magical Shield), Fortitude +10, Will +10

Complications:
Motivation (Destruction)- Darksol wishes to destroy the world of the Ancients, and unseals Dark Dragon to do it.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 14 (188)

-Darksol is the recurring Big Bad of Shining Force I, being a stereotypically evil Vizier who is clearly mind-controlling the King of Runefaust, causing the conflict that sets off the entire game. Runefaust invades Guardiana and kills its king and royal guard, conquers much of the land, and more, all to some strange end. It turns out that Darksol is attempting to resurrect the mighty Dark Dragon, and in the Game Boy Advance remake, that he was once one of the Ancients- the lost beings that used to live in the world of Shining Force. But the Ancients powered up their "Dark Dragon" super-weapon using his very soul- embittered and betrayed, he fought against the Ancients, and seeks to destroy their world. He used Dark Dragon to wipe out the Ancients' kingdom and destroy most of them- they created a Dragon God named White Dragon to weaken Dark Dragon, and successfully sealed him before disappearing. Darksol, travelling through time, now seeks to bring Dark Dragon back.

-In the process, he wiped out the army of Adams, brainwashed Ancient agents Chaos & Kane to serve him, and more. When Kane realizes what's happened, he attacks Darksol and is killed, making things even more personal for the Main Character, Max, who has just realized that Kane is his brother. Ultimately, Darksol is killed in both versions of the game, but successfully resurrects Dark Dragon, who is the true Final Boss.

-Twenty years after the death of Darksol, Mishaela resurrects him at the cost of her own life in Shining Force Gaiden. But Darksol was left weakened by Devil King Zeon, who kept most of his power, and Darksol was killed by a returning Max, along with the son of Kane (Ian). Mishaela & Darksol's son, Mephisto, was born, and was the main antagonst of Shining in the Darkness. He also returns as the Final Boss in Shining Force III's "Premium Disc".

-Darksol has an immense amount of HP (150!) and a powerful "Demon Blaze" area attack that will bring down even your toughest units with only a couple of hits. That attack is a PL 11 Area Attack (better than any you'll get), and defensively he's PL 12, making him a very tough opponent.
Jabroniville

Dark Dragon

Post by Jabroniville »

Image Image

DARK DRAGON
First Appearance:
Shining Force I
Role: Final Boss, Destroyer of Worlds
Weapons: Breath Weapon
PL 13 (190)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+9)
Deception 7 (+12)
Insight 3 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+11, +18 Size)
Perception 6 (+11)
Persuasion 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Diehard, Equipment 2 (Staff +4), Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Fills The Screen" Growth 14 (Str & Sta +14, +14 Mass, +7 Intimidation, -7 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -14 Stealth) -- (90 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [29]
"Demon Blaze/Other Elemental Spells" Blast 13 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [41]
"Three Heads" Enhanced Advantages: Second Chance 2 (Mind Control, Perception Checks) [2]
"Ageless" Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Demon Blaze +13 Area (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +16, Fortitude +16, Will +10

Complications:
Motivation (Destruction)- Dark Dragon's soul is that of Darksol- his hate and malice fuels the beast.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 15 (190)

-Dark Dragon has little "Character", and is just the creature summoned by Darksol in his quest across the continent- gathering many objects, including the Book of the Ancients, Darksol finally breaks the seal that holds back the creature, and despite dying, uses his soul to bring it to life. Dark Dragon is HUGE, taking up the entire upper half of the battlefield, and sports three heads, all of which must be destroyed, and have more HP than even Darksol (250 HP to his 150). So even the best player is in for a long, VERY dangerous fight. The central head casts "Demon Blaze" at a power even greater than Darksol's, while the other two fire out elemental powers.
Jabroniville

Shining Force II

Post by Jabroniville »

SHINING FORCE II- THE ANCIENT SEAL:
-Shining Force got both a sequel and a spin-off in 1992, with Shining Force II hitting the Sega Genesis. Characters don't recur for the console games, but the handhelds link them together with the children of some of the first game's characters getting involved with characters who are much older in the sequel. The gameplay is the same, as are some of the concepts (Centaur Knights, etc.), and the spells have only been slightly modified.

In this game, you play Bowie, another Swordsman/Hero with a mass teleportation "escape" spell, and slowly build up your group with "starter characters you dump early", "weaklings who become Gods later on", and more- it's actually shaken up a bit more than the first game, and you can even upgrade along two different lines for many characters! Your weak Priests can turn into Master Monks, and most of your other basic units have a choice in promotion as well! This adds a lot of versatility and replayability to the game.

In the game's story, a thief named Slade unwittingly breaks a magical seal when he swipes the Jewels of Light & Darkness from a shrine in the kingdom of Granseal- this unleashes the Demon King Zeon, and so Bowie and his friends must go on a quest to re-seal him and save their King. Along the way, they meet the mind-controlled King Galam, fail to rescue Princess Elis, and manage to find the Jewels once more. You travel across the continent of Paramecia.

THE CLASSES:
* The classes in Shining Force II start out very similar to before, but get modified slightly, especially with optional promotions. Most of the starting classes have two choices upon promotion, but the special ones require an item of some kind, and you will only get one, so you have to pick which one is promoted. So... it's like Pokemon. Seriously. Helpfully, the game will give you multiple characters of those same Promoted Classes later on, just in case you miss the items or choose the basic version, so you'll still have a pre-promoted Brass Gunner, Baron and Pegasus Knight.

Sworsdman/Hero: The same as before- your Main Character is a sword-wielding young man who eventually gets super-weapons.
Warrior/Gladiator or Baron: The Dwarf Warriors are stout, hardy fighters and "Tanks". An optional upgrade makes them Barons, which gain a rank of Movement (a big deal in a Tactical RPG) and a Shield, but have lower Toughness than Gladiators.
Knight/Paladin or Pegasus Knight: Again represented by Centaurs, these are your assault force- the front-line soldiers who charge the enemy. They are tough, strong, and have great movement speed, with almost zero downsides. A special Wing can be added to transform one into a Pegasus Knight- a much more versatile Flying Unit, but that will cost them Toughness.
Dwarves who are on foot, and both strong & tough. Meant to be front-line tanks, they match Knights on attack, but are even tougher. I rarely find a use for these, though.
Archer/Sniper or Brass Gunner: Elves with low toughness but ranged firepower. Good ranged fighters this time around, they aren't as easily-replaced. The "Brass Gunner" is a goofy-looking sort in a little steampunk bike with a cannon as a sidecar, giving them extra Toughness but a slower top speed.
Bird Warrior: "Birdmen" who are your first fliers- a huge advantage tactically, though they aren't the strongest fighters.

Vicar: Healers. Terrible fighters and low Toughness, but the only ones who can heal your party. Keep them hanging back and protect them.
Mage: Powerful Spellcasters who strike from range or up close, but have horrible Toughness and little combat ability otherwise. Keep them hanging back and protect them like Vicars. And you have to work on their XP- they will suck forever if you don't keep at it, so try to have them finish off weakened foes. Eventually they will gain devastating Area Attacks that can shred multiple enemies at once.
Monk: A combination Healer/Front-Line Fighter, rarely excelling at either. Typically only one per game.
Unique Classes: These come from all over the place. An "Assault Knight" is a Knight with a ranged weapon. Kokichi is a "Sky Knight" in a flying contraption. There are Ninjas & Samurai kicking about. Shining Force sees a Werewolf, a Dragon, an armadillo "Steam Knight" and a flying alien join your team, while Shining Force II has Gamera and a Phoenix. These can get a little nutty.