Jab's Dinosaur Builds!: Plateosaurus! Europasaurus!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: Rottweiler

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:16 pm ROTTWEILER (Canis lupus familiaris)

Diet: Dog food, Burglars
HA!

One of our family friends growing up had a Rottweiler. Her name was Kayla and she was a sweetheart.
That being said she was a big dog and it was easy to see why people would be afraid of her.

I wound up staying at their place once, and came to the house around 10 PM, in the dark.

All I heard was barking and heaving footsteps heading towards me at high speeds. Had I not known Kayla I'd have probably soiled myself, and been half way across the road frantically trying to get to the trees when she got me. ;~)

As it was I wasn't worried so I just said hi. And then she ran into me, knocked me over, and started licking my face. :lol:
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Dog Builds!)

Post by Spectrum »

Pinkerton Behave was a favorite book when I was growing up. I look forward to reading it with my niece in a couple of years.

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Huge Dogs

Post by Jabroniville »

A hulking Bullmastiff.

HUGE DOG
Role:
Family Pet, Guard Dog
PL 3 (28) Combat, PL 5 (28) Defenses- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6
Normal Version:
PL 2
STRENGTH 3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Trip

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+3 Damage, DC 17)
Natural Weapons +2 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Owner)- Domestic dogs are intensely loyal to their masters, and will fight to the death to protect them.
Weakness- Dogs are utterly incapable of lying. Their entire body reflects their current mood. Just watch them if you notice your lamp is broken, and you will know who did it.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 4 (28)

-The Mastiff-type dogs generally come from the same stock- the molosser-type dogs that possibly originated in Asia and spread across Europe during the Roman conquests.

Huge Dogs:
* The following dogs will use the same build.

Scottish Deerhound: Big, strong deer-hunters.

Irish Wolfhound- PL 4 (33): The second-largest breed in existence- caused a sensation when Romans discovered them. Fast enough to catch a wolf and strong enough to kill it. (FIGHTING +2)
Anatolian Shepherd Dog- PL 3 (30): Ancient, very large herders. (Herding +4)
Boerboel: Huge Dutch mastiffs.
Bullmastiff: Bred to hunt and pin down poachers on estate-owners' lands (poaching could be a capital offense, so the poachers often chose to shoot it out with gamekeepers). Bred from a combination of bulldog and mastiff to maximize size without sacrificing speed.

Yes, they stuffed Hachiko and put him in a museum. I took this picture.

Akita: Beloved symbol of Japan, these are among the largest spitz-type dogs. The famously-loyal Hachiko, who waited for his owner at the train station every day of his life, even after his owner died, was an Akita.
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog- PL 3 (30): Descended from Roman war dogs, they grew into hard-working farm-dogs, pulling loads of meat and herding animals. (Herding +2)
Great Pyrenees- PL 3 (30): Large, white sheep & herding dogs. (Herding +2)

Great Dane: Famously the largest dog breed on Earth. Known as the "world's largest lap-dog", as despite being bred to hunt and kill wild boar, they are notoriously lazy and love to lounge about on their owners.

Komondor- PL 3 (30): Hungarian shepherd dog with a notably wild, "dreadlock" coat meant to deter both cold and teeth. (Protection 1- Limited to Against Piercing Damage, Immunity to Cold 1- Limited to Half)

Neapolitan Mastiff- PL 3 (30): Smaller than Mastiffs, but with a scarier, extra-wrinkly visage. (Intimidation +2)

Newfoundland- PL 3 (30): Famous water-rescue dogs; one of the most popular breeds. (Athletics 3- Limited to Swimming)
Kuvasz: Large guardians of livestock.
Leonberger: Actually bred to be the companions of royalty (which succeeded), but also good at working.

Dogue de Bordeaux: Fanciest-looking of the molosser-types, they came from France and were fighting dogs turned into a general working breed. A regular customer at my work had two, but one died on the operating table (he paid thousands for the operation and didn't even get the money back! Dog breeding SUCKS!).

Saint Bernard: Famous for rescue missions in the mountainous regions of Europe.
Tibetan Mastiff: Probably the progenitor of all molosser-type dogs, and so ancient and remote no one knows when it originated.
Jabroniville

Fighting Dogs

Post by Jabroniville »

FIGHTING DOG (Canis lupus familiaris)
Role:
Fighting Animal
PL 5 (41)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 8
Normal Version:
PL 2
STRENGTH 3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 10 (+8)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Trip, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Natural Weapons +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Owner)- Domestic dogs are intensely loyal to their masters, and will fight to the death to protect them.
Weakness- Dogs are utterly incapable of lying. Their entire body reflects their current mood. Just watch them if you notice your lamp is broken, and you will know who did it.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 7 (41)

Era: Modern Day
Range: Anywhere there are people
Stereotypes: Vicious.
Colouring: Black, brown, yellow
Size: Up to 4.5 feet long (80-200 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Packs of 2-4
Diet: Dog food, Burglars
Tactics: Surround and bring down in groups, tripping prey using sheer strength.

-Their are numerous breeds of Fighting Dogs, bred from the Molosser breeds for maximum strength, speed and ferocity. Dogfighting is still extremely common in some parts of the world, and some of the breeds are exceptionally-frightening. The Pit Bull (actually from the Terrier group) is the most-legislated against dog in North America, but many other countries will have some kind of Fighting/Guard Dog around. They're highly-controversial, as you get the "Some breeds of dog are inherently dangerous!" crowd arguing with the "it's not the animal- it's the OWNER!" crowd. Pit Bulls themselves were used as "Nanny Dogs" for years before they became the iconic "Bad Dog", for example. But nowadays, like the Rottweiler, they're seen as a Tough Guy Badge of Honor in trashier neighborhoods.

-These are the highest-PL dogs, and the only ones who have a shot at killing a wild Wolf in a fight- their tenacity, lack of fear, and specially-bred fighting skills are paramount. Many farmers keep dogs of this type in order to chase off Wolves, though you'll generally need more than one. This is like the ELITE of the Elite Fighting Dogs- enough to chase off a mugger for sure, and equal in PL to a decent Soldier.
Jabroniville

Foxes

Post by Jabroniville »

A Crab-Eating Fox.

FOXES:
-Foxes are tiny, rather weak predators in the grand scheme of things, but their outstanding appearance and sneaky, stealthy ways has led to great fame as a mystical, wise trickster, much like the Coyote- however, the Fox has more importance in Western society, owing to the fact that white people didn't see Coyotes until a few centuries ago. So you get a lot of stuff like the fox symbolizing cunning with characters like Reynard the Fox (Disney's Robin Hood was inspired by the same link). In terms of distance covered, foxes are easily the most widely-distributed member of Carnivora on Earth, living all across the Arctic Circle to North Africa and Asia. Introduced populations in Australia are effective enough hunters that they're considered a high-end "Bad Invasive Species" as well, with 7.2 million red foxes currently thriving there. Not bad for one of the lightest weight dogs on Earth.

-Foxes hunt primarily by crouching down and ambushing prey with a tremendous pounce, created by a vertical leap and a downward thrust with both paws. They live either solo or in small family groups, never forming real packs.
Jabroniville

Red Fox

Post by Jabroniville »

Red Fox color mutations.

RED FOX (Vulpes vulpes)
Role:
Solitary Hunter
PL 2 (30)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -3 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Expertise (Hunter) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4, +8 Size)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (3 feet) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Teeth +5 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness -2, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Foxes cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 4 (30)

Range: North America, Europe & Australia (introduced species)
Stereotypes: Sly, sneaky. Sometimes lovably-so.
Colouring: Red/orange or Gray and white
Size: Up to 4 feet long (6.5-24 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or small family groups (2 adults with kits or helper females)
Diet: Rodents, lagomorphs, small prey
Tactics: Large pounce with both front feet.

-The Red Fox statted here is the largest variety, and the most famous- cartoon foxes are typically this shade of red, with white tail tips. Red Foxes are currently being used for a study in Domestication of animals, with several generations being selectively-bred for tameness around people. Astonishingly, the breeders discovered the new generations of Foxes developing curled tails and strange coat patterns (such as piebald)- traits of domesticated DOGS! This seems to give credence to a theory that the very traits that make Dogs DOGS are the ones that make other tame animals so distinct. You'll note how Wild Horses and other animals are typically fairly-uniform in appearance- rarely sporting bizarre patterns unless that's their standard form (like Zebras).

-Red Foxes are one of the most widespread carnivores on Earth, existing across North America & Eurasia, and into Northern Africa. They readily take advantage of human habitation and immigration, thriving in areas where humans live, and making short work of prey animals in places not used to foxes. This is in spite of their small size compared to most canids in their range- wolves or coyotes would make short work of them. As they are the largest foxes, they tend to displays other types, though arctic foxes live too far up north for most reds to go.

-They're nothing in terms of combat, but are fast, hard to hit, and bright, making them PL 2 creatures with their other stats. They are easily preyed-upon by Coyotes, Wolves and most Dog Breeds, and so generally use their Stealth.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Funny little trivia about Labrador retrivers and Newfoundland dogs. Both species have some unique elements that makes them suited for operating in water. They both have a layer of fats under the skin, similar to seals, making them very resistant to low temperatures and their interdigital membranes are longer than any other species of dog I can think of.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Gray Fox

Post by Jabroniville »

GRAY FOX (Urocyon cinereoargenteus)
Role:
Solitary Hunter
PL 1 (25)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -3 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Athletics 3 (+5) -- (Flaws: Limited to Climbing)
Expertise (Hunter) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4, +8 Size)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -2, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Foxes cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 17--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 4 (25)

Range: North America
Stereotypes: Sly, sneaky. Sometimes lovably-so.
Colouring: Gray and grizzled
Size: Up to 4 feet long (6.5-17 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or small family groups (2 adults with kits or helper females)
Diet: Rodents, lagomorphs, small prey
Tactics: Large pounce with both front feet.

-Once the most common fox in the eastern United States, the Gray Fox's small size has has seen them supplanted by the larger Red Foxes (Grays are about 7-15 lbs.- just a bit smaller, but that makes a difference in the animal kingdom). Living only in North America's southern half, they appear in little Eurocentric folklore. They are the best tree-climbers among canids, with strong, hooked claws.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Geez, a guy gets busy for a bit, comes back and this whole board goes to the dogs!!! 8-)

I hope that comment doesn't come back to bite me.

That could get ruff...

I got a million of 'em!!!
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

*stares in disapproving cat*
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:38 pm Geez, a guy gets busy for a bit, comes back and this whole board goes to the dogs!!! 8-)

I hope that comment doesn't come back to bite me.

That could get ruff...

I got a million of 'em!!!
CURSE YOU, THORP! YOUR DAD JOKES HAVE OFFICIALLY GONE TOO FAR!!!

(now I insist you comment on all my past build sets that you missed :P)
Jabroniville

Small Foxes

Post by Jabroniville »

A Kit Fox.

SMALL FOXES
Role:
Solitary Hunter
PL 1 (22)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -4 STAMINA -3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Expertise (Hunter) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6, +10 Size)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2

Powers:

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -3, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 5 (22)

-This is a general build for eight kinds of tiny foxes, typically about 3-7 lbs., found throughout the world. Kit & Swift Foxes are North American, Corsac & Tibetan Foxes from Asia, Cape & Bat-Eared Foxes from Africa, and Bengal Foxes from India.
-They are very weak compared to even Gray Foxes, being about the size of housecats. Their size makes them more stealthy, but they're PL 0 offensively- only capable of killing small rodents and rabbits.

Types of Small Foxes:
KIT FOX: Kit Foxes are small foxes living in the Southwestern United States- the smallest canids native to North America, typically weighing between 3-6 lbs. They are usually gray and rusty-colored.
CORSAC FOX: Corsac, sometimes called Sand Foxes live along Central Asia
TIBETAN SAND FOX: Tibetan Foxes are actually a bit bigger than these others, being 8-12 lbs.

CAPE FOX: Cape Foxes are 7-11 lbs., and living in the southern tip of Africa.

SWIFT FOX: Small Swift Foxes live in central North America, and are extremely rare- nearly extinct in the 1930s as a result of predator control programs. In one of the greatest success stories of reintroduction, they were sent from captivity to the wilds, and eventually tripled in numbers over the years, and are currently thriving. They weight about 5-7 lbs.
BENGAL FOX: Small Indian foxes (5-9 lbs.).
ISLAND FOX: The small Island Fox is actually descended from the Gray Fox, and subject to "island dwarfism", as they only live in the eight Channel Islands of California- each island has its own subspecies. They only weight about 2-6 lbs, and many populations are threatened.
COZUMEL FOX: This undescribed fox lives on the island of Cozumel in Mexico, and may be extinct. They are likely related to the Gray Fox, being about 75% the size.

BAT-EARED FOX- PL 1 (24): These large-eared, 7-12 lb. foxes look pretty cool, with tawny coats and black ears. They live scattered throughout Africa, and use their distinctive ears for themoregulation, like Fennec Foxes do. They are primarily insectivores, locating prey via hearing- about 80-90% of their diet is harvester termites. Their teeth are tiny because of this diet, and they're so distinctive that they're the only animal in their genus (Otocyon). (Accurate Hearing)
Jabroniville

Arctic Fox

Post by Jabroniville »

ARCTIC FOX
Role:
Solitary Hunter
PL 1 (29)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Expertise (Hunter) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6, +10 Size)
Stealth 3 (+13) -- (Flaws: Limited to Arctic Conditions)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 8 (Acute & Extended Scent 2, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing, Accurate Hearing) [8]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]
Immunity 1 (Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]

Offense:
Initiative +3

Defenses:

Complications:
Enemy (Red Foxes)- Red Foxes will overpower and kill Arctic Foxes when their ranges overlap.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 20--9.5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 20.5 / Defenses: 5 (29)

-The northernmost carnivore on Earth, the Arctic Fox was the only mammal on the remote islands the Viking explorers discovered in the Northern Hemisphere. Small, compact and rounded, these foxes have famously warm fur allowing them to retain body head tremendously well. They are experts at locating small mammals in tunnels under the snow, figuring them out by ear and pouncing at just the right location. Typically, males don't weigh more than 8 lbs., making them easily victimized in areas where Red Foxes have begun to invade their territory. There is a white phase that goes away in summer (producing a more grizzled brown fox) and a "blue" phase that is always slate gray.

-Arctic Foxes are pretty much like Desert Foxes with the "Environment" stuff switched around, and extra stealth, plus more exteded scent (they can find carcasses left by Polar Bears from 20-40 km away) and Accurate Hearing, as they locate their prey in burrows under the ground by listening for them.
Jabroniville

Fennec Fox

Post by Jabroniville »

FENNEC FOX
Role:
Solitary Hunter, Distinctively-Adorable Canine
PL 1 (27)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6, +10 Size)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 8 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing, Accurate Hearing) [8]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Desert) [2]
Immunity 1 (Heat) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]

Offense:
Initiative +3

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 17--8.5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 21.5 / Defenses: 5 (27)

-The Fennec Fox is a tiny, shy variety of fox. Their distinctive giant ears are for better cooling (large surfaces have more space to dissipate heat from), and also enable them to hear prey moving in underground tunnels. Feenecs are the smallest variety of canid species in the world, being about 1-3 lbs. Hailing from Northern Africa, they exhibit many unique traits compared to other foxes, such as fewer chromosomes and pack behaviour, though couples mate for life.

-Since they're so recognizably tiny and adorable, they are popular as exotic pets. Appearances in media like Zootopia (like with Nick's Fennec Fox partner in crime) have led to brief surges in popularity, particularly in places like China. Fennecs are thus somewhat common, but threatened by the pet and fur trade.
Jabroniville

Desert Foxes

Post by Jabroniville »

A Ruppell's Fox.

DESERT FOXES
Role:
Solitary Hunter
PL 1 (25)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6, +10 Size)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2

Powers:
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Desert) [2]
Immunity 1 (Heat) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]

Offense:
Initiative +3

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 17--8.5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 19.5 / Defenses: 5 (25)

-These are other small foxes, each being even tinier typically than the smallest of other kinds. They have incredible thermoregulatory capabilities, living in some of the most desolate regions on Earth.

Types of Desert Foxes:
RUPPELL'S FOX: Rüppell's Foxes are smaller, 6-8 lb. foxes that live in Northern Africa. Like most desert-dwelling foxes, they have pretty large ears, but nothing close to the Fennec Fox.

PALE FOX: Pale Foxes are of similar size to the Rüppell's, but live a bit further south in Africa. It's common throughout its range, but is hidden and remote enough to avoid most detection.
BLANFORD'S FOX: Middle Eastern foxes with great climbing ability and leaps up to 9 feet high. Very small, they never weigh over 4 lbs.