Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Hero Vampire! Vampire Hunter! Reid's Rangers!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:41 pm I wonder what process MDC meat has to go through to make it chewable by SDC teeth...
I think one book mentioned it, but largely it gets glossed over, because MEGA-DAMAGE IS DUMB!
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:07 pm
Spectrum wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:41 pm I wonder what process MDC meat has to go through to make it chewable by SDC teeth...
I think one book mentioned it, but largely it gets glossed over, because MEGA-DAMAGE IS DUMB!
That might have been me ass-pulling my own explanation of PPE denaturing post-death for your flying mega-mantarays.
Jabroniville

Silvisaurus

Post by Jabroniville »

SILVISAURUS
Role:
Walking Tank (smallest size)
PL 10 (65)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 10 (+9 Size)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Sacral Shield" Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 9) [15]
"Tail Smash" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [4]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Tail Smash +6 (+9 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +14 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dinosaurs cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Cold Climates)- The Age of Reptiles was a much hotter time period than our own. Creatures from that era will be more susceptible to Cold and Ice-based attacks.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 14 (65)

-Silvisaurs are the smallest of the three nodosaurids in the book, but are between the other two in durability... and they produce lots of eggs, which people just LOVE. They are calmer than the others, and are led by alpha males- convince it to do something, and the herd follows.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, this is one of the WORST parts of the RIFTS mechanic, though goodness knows, its hard to pick just ONE, since the whole system was over-complicated and obsolete by the mid-1990s, and today its absolutely archaic (super-detailed percentile systems pretty much ended with TSR's Top Secret/SPI and FGU's Universe games). I get that a lot of advanced armor/vehicles and giant-sized or supernatural creatures should be impervious to damage from mundane melee weapons or projectiles, but scaled up damage and HP by a 1000x factor is absurd. Even (as the main book does give as an option) reducing the scale to 100x or 10x is kind of clunky.

Fun fact: Crystal Frazier, the current line developer at GR (and freelancer for Pathfinder) worked for the RIFTS line years ago, while she was still in college. She told me Kevin Siembieda loved her ideas and writing, till she suggested a new edition of the rules be put out, streamlining and modernizing the systems. He sent a furious email mail mocking the idea and told her she'd never work for his company again.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Yeah, this is one of the WORST parts of the RIFTS mechanic, though goodness knows, its hard to pick just ONE, since the whole system was over-complicated and obsolete by the mid-1990s, and today its absolutely archaic (super-detailed percentile systems pretty much ended with TSR's Top Secret/SPI and FGU's Universe games). I get that a lot of advanced armor/vehicles and giant-sized or supernatural creatures should be impervious to damage from mundane melee weapons or projectiles, but scaled up damage and HP by a 1000x factor is absurd. Even (as the main book does give as an option) reducing the scale to 100x or 10x is kind of clunky.

Fun fact: Crystal Frazier, the current line developer at GR (and freelancer for Pathfinder) worked for the RIFTS line years ago, while she was still in college. She told me Kevin Siembieda loved her ideas and writing, till she suggested a new edition of the rules be put out, streamlining and modernizing the systems. He sent a furious email mail mocking the idea and told her she'd never work for his company again.

All my best.
Yeah, that... that sounds like Kevin. The infamous Bill Coffin diatribe mentioned Kevin's furious or passive-aggressive emails.

It's still a bit of a wonder Palladium is still alive, given all the horrible things they've released, their ancient system, their past history ("You're all so mean, YOU CAUSED A MAN TO ATTEMPT SUICIDE!"), and their employee robbing them.
Jabroniville

Sun Dog

Post by Jabroniville »

SUN DOG (Ahuizoti)
Role:
Aquatic Predator, Vampire-Haters
PL 9 (124 + Magic)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+2)
Perception 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Chokehold, Close Attack 2, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 10 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing, Vision Counters Concealment) [10]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Hand-Tipped Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
"Claws & Bites" Strength-Damage +5 (Feats: Split) [6]

Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic, Jungle) [4]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Suffocation, Vamprire Mind Control) [3]
Immunity 20 (Magical Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

"Magic" (Befuddle, Blinding Flash, Chameleon, Cleanse, Death Trance, Escape, Globe of Daylight, See Aura, Sense Evil, Sense Magic)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Teeth +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Ahuizoti cannot speak to humans.
Enemy (Vampires)- Sun Dogs appear to hate Vampires dearly, often targeting them and dragging them under water until they dissolve. Wild Vampires also kill Sun Dogs on sight.
Weakness (Aquatic)- Sun Dogs need plenty of water in order to avoid drying out. They also take more damage from fire and the "Dessicate" spell.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 49 + Magic / Defenses: 8 (124 + Magic)

-This hairless, evil dog is also called the "Ahuizoti" (reminds me of the Aztec hairless dog breed, the Xoloitzcuintli), and has monkey-like paws and a really long tail that also ends in a human-like hand. That last bit reminded me of my "Castellia" builds, and indeed, I statted up the D&D version of the creature, who name actually ends in an "L", not an "I". They feature in myth and legend of the region, and are said to wait in shallow pools of water, then lash out at passerby with their tail-hand. The Rifts version also does that, but is more of a hunter of small livestock- despite being a Mega-Damage creature, it typically only hunts chickens, goats, and things like that. It only eats the eyes, tongue, teeth, fingernails and hooves of its victims, mauling the rest before leaving.

-Sun Dogs are said to fear the Mayan God of Bats, Camazotz, but nearly always attack Vampires when they can, eating the parts they like and then letting the rest of the body dissolve under the running water. They are said to love Mages, and will happily act as really powerful Familiars to Mages seeking one.

-Sun Dogs are actually very powerful little animals, using four attacks and some solid bonuses to hit PL 9 easily.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Death Weaver! Nodosaurs! Sun Dog!)

Post by greycrusader »

Huh. Those are kind of neat.
Jabroniville

Mexican Towns

Post by Jabroniville »

VAMPIRE NATIONS & CITIES:
-The books I've seen contain a TON of stuff on Vampire cities and towns.

Their are four principal Kingdoms, each with its own Vampire Intelligence. Ixzotz is the largest and oldest Kingdom, and it has a Brodkil Sheriff as a smokescreen to anyone who'd come visiting- there are 47,000 Vampires here. It's a cruel slave state where the humans are cattle for their Vamp masters. The Mexico Empire is different- humanoids have more freedom and enjoy some prosperity in an "astoundingly civil" relationship with the 2,900 Vampires who live there. This works because they're given some civil rights at the cost of donating a pint of blood every once in a while. Having loyal humans with them can be an effective screen against outsiders, and they would stand with their own overlords if another Kingdom came calling. Muluc has 4,000 Vampires, and a population with "1950s America" levels of technology that are mostly mind slaves. Milta has 2,800 Vampires, and is mimicking the Mexico Empire and trying to create modern cities with new technology- they've allied with Mexico and are similar enough, with such a small bio, that I wonder if they just felt they needed four Kingdoms over three.

EL PASO:
-El Paso is one of the last bits of civilization in the area- further north or south and things are "wilderness" or "Vampire Hell". A city of 29,000 with a modern, militarized police force with 60 M.D.C. armor and a gang problem, and an evil, arrogant warlord named King Wyatt Holloway (a wealthy rancher who literally owns the land the town is built on). The K-9s are freedmen Dog Boys who formed a criminal gang- they are the least-pestered by police, as mutant dogs will still defend humans from the CS or Vampires. The Wild Cats are led by mutant cats from Lone Star, but are mostly human & D-Bee- they are wild, unpredictable, cruel fighters. The Trogs are a band of stupid, brutish thugs, 50% D-Bee, who are taken from the "deformed, scarred, retarded" or otherwise outcast. They get into a lot of gang wars, and thus lose members frequently. "The Hammer" is a group of fascist human supremacists who attack non-humans frequently. They are probably CS spies, as their leader is a retired Coalition guy turned "mercenary", and the gang is unusually well-equipped.

El Paso is... your "City of Adventure". I mean, it comes off as a very "Generic Rifts City" in the best kind of way- four distinct gangs (each unpleasant in its own way, but likely to war with the others), a dangerous but reasonable leader (he's arrogant and vengeful, but not chaotic evil), enough military presence to not just be wiped off the map, and more. It has an arena for gladatorial fights, bars, shops for almost everything (even a Magic Shop), etc. So rather than have a city built around some kind of weird thing (Cat Gods! The Coalition's City that also has D-Bees living in the 'Burbs! Ancient Japan!), it's kind of what I'd imagine most cities in the setting would look like if they had money and technology- dangerous but livable, and an acceptable generic "Home Base".

CIUDAD JUAREZ:
-A more lawless, violent town, with an openly corrupt police force and government. 2% of the population are Vampires. The main gang are the Subs (sub-humans), a "D-Bee & Mutant Animals Only" gang of brutes. The Psykes are a gang of violent psionics, 40% human and 25% D-Bee, with Mutant Animals and more. The Skivers are "Cyber-Snatchers" who specialize in targetting people for their cybernetics, maiming them and stealing their body parts for themselves and for profit! Every other gang hates them. The Guard are a "people's militia" (ie. band of violent vigilantes) who will defend Juarez from outsiders (especially targetting Vampires & other supernatura monsters, as well as criminals who target innocents), and are allowed to walk through rival gangs' territories. Vastly outnumbering the other gangs, they will kill the Skivers on sight, and are given some credence by the government, owing to their popularity with the people.

Most terrifying, however, are the Night Masters- a VAMPIRE GANG who advertise their bloody crimes and taunt the others. The "official party line" is that Juarez is "Vampire Free", but this is a lie. There is also "The Guild For The Gifted", a weird band of crazy mages & Master Psionics who most steer clear from. They're more like an elite social club of powerful people who form a "secret society". And then there's mountains and mountains of text featuring the various shops and places of Juarez, from a prankster who works at a curio shoppe to a guy selling magic stuff.

In all, Juarez is the more violent, lawless type of "Everytown"- a place where everyone is trying to kill you, even the police.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So that's it for Vampire Kingdoms- not the worst read, I'll admit. Despite my not caring for Vampires, I'll respect the amount of work put in, and the desire to make their towns feel "real". Even without CJ Carella around, they were being a bit inventive with groups of guys and setting up NPCs and potential stories.
Jabroniville

Rifts Vampire Sourcebook

Post by Jabroniville »

RIFTS VAMPIRES SOURCEBOOK (2013):
-Coming twenty-two years after the first edition of Vampire Kingdoms comes a Sourcebook all about them, too! I didn't know this was a thing until a couple of weeks ago, so I've really got nothing on it.

It starts with your classic prose story, featuring Doc Reid torturing Vampires, to the horror of his new Lemurian allies (as Rifts Lemuria had come out recently). He hears tell of the various Vampire cities uniting for some purpose, but has one of his own- taking a Doomsday Machine from the ruins of Tolkeen and sending it towards a Vampire Pyramid. The mission is one for your party- destroying the pyramid at the cost of your own lives... maybe. There's a "GM's Eyes Only!" section that elaborates upon the Vampirie-exclusive blast that will kill not only the Vampire Intelligence of Muluc, but all of its creations! This will be the first major shot in a war that may attempt to unseat the status quo established in Mexico all the way back in 1991's books.

The rest of the book is a set of O.C.C.s, a few R.C.C.s, and different types of Vampire enemies and allies.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, the Vampire Kingdoms is definitely one of the better early RIFTS books.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 pm Yeah, the Vampire Kingdoms is definitely one of the better early RIFTS books.
One thing I kind of like a lot about this book, too, is how it actually gives thought to TACTICS and WEAKNESSES. So much of Rifts is just "The enemy has 30,000 M.D.C., 9 attacks and takes double-damage to the same three weapons that all Demons & Monsters do", so to see an enemy monster afflicted with more simple vulnerabilities to basic things invites things like "clever weapons". They're weak against running water? Okay, so set up a complicated system of traps involving water spray, squirt-gun weapons, and even SUITS OF ARMOR designed around that weakness! Their weakness to silver gives us all sorts of creative stuff like chaff grenades, silver spikes on armor, etc. Weaknesses against Daylight make Techno-Wizard "Globe of Daylight" traps worthwhile, too.

It's just... very creative and interesting in a way that most other Rifts things lack- you just have to blow most stuff up with overwhelming firepower and "Out-M.D.C." it. There's none of that, here.
Jabroniville

Bandit Vampire Hunter

Post by Jabroniville »

BANDIT VAMPIRE HUNTER O.C.C.
Role:
Vampire Hunters, Criminals
PL 7 (76), PL 8 (76) vs. Vampires
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5/7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Vampire Lore) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 4 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Vampire-Hunting Gear- Vibro-Knife, Silver-Tipped Crossobow, Silver Knife, Wooden Stakes), Favored Foe (Vampires), Ranged Attack 1, Second Chance (Traps Involving Vampires), Tracking

Powers:
"Vampire-Specific Fighting Abilities"
Enhanced Fighting 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Vampires) [2]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Ranged Attack 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Vampires) [1]
Enhanced Dodge 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Vampires) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +5-7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stakes +5-7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Vibro-Knife +5-7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Guns +5-7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (+7 vs. Vampires, DC 15-17), Parry +5 (+7 vs. Vampires), Toughness +2 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Killing Vampires... For Profit)- Bandit Vampire Hunters kill only to rob the undead and their allies.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 9 (76)

-Bandit Vampire Hunters are said to be scam artists of a sort- they hunt Vampires, but only to look them and their followers! Erin Tarn suggests this is super-horrible, but like... Vampires are terrible in this world. They also blackmail towns that hire them- they get to keep all the stuff the Vamps stole from THEM, too. They are said to ride with tons of other O.C.C.s from New West, and associate with other crooks, and may just descend into standard-issue criminal behavior without any Vampires to hunt. They're largely like the classic Vampire Hunter O.C.C., but keyed towards criminal behavior and traits, and lose a couple of the Powers associated with them.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

See that class is part of the bloat you talk about in rifts it IS an occupation hence OCC but it isn't a character. its a job

you can legit see some armed schlob with a gang o hangers on riding into a frontier town finding it infested by vampires and in a bit of luck or fluke of skill killing the master eliminating the threat to the town who slavishly reward him and his gang with loot

the guy then says wow what a racket and refines the idea and concept into the scam of wandering vampire hunters
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Mage Vampire Hunter

Post by Jabroniville »

LOLOLOLOLOL How many f*cking books is this picture in?!?

MAGE VAMPIRE HUNTER O.C.C.
Role:
Magical Vampire Hunters
PL 7 (114 + Magic), PL 8 (114 + Magic) vs. Vampires
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5/7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Vampire Lore) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+9)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 2 (+3)
Treatment 2 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Vampire-Hunting Gear- Vibro-Knife, Silver-Tipped Crossobow, Silver Knife, Wooden Stakes), Favored Foe (Vampires), Ranged Attack 1, Second Chance (Traps Involving Vampires), Tracking

Powers:
"Vampire-Specific Fighting Abilities"
Enhanced Fighting 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Vampires) [2]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Ranged Attack 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Vampires) [1]
Enhanced Dodge 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Vampires) [1]

"Read Ley Lines" Senses 7 (Ley Line Awareness- Ranged 2, Analytical, Acute, Distance Sense) [7]
"Sense Rifts" Senses 3 (Rift Awareness- Ranged 2) [3]
"Sense Magic" Senses 2 (Magic Awareness- Ranged) [2]
"Line Drifting" Flight 1 (Flaws: Limited to Within Ley Lines) [1]
"Ley Line Observation Ball" Remote Sensing 1 (Vision) [2]

"Ley Line Phasing" Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (Flaws: Limited to Along Ley Lines, Source- 15-60 Second Ritual -1/2, Unreliable- 4/hour -1/2) (20) -- [23]
  • AE: "Ley Line Transmission" Communication (Mental) 3 (Flaws: Limited to Along Ley Lines, Limited to Sending) (6)
  • AE: "Read Ley Lines" Remote Sensing (Touch) 12 (Flaws: Limited to Natural Disasters, Limited to Along Ley Lines) (4)
  • AE: "Ley Line Rejuvenation" Healing 6 (Flaws: Limited to Self, Limited to Within Ley Lines) (3)
"Magic" (Armor of Ithan, Death Trance, Familiar Link, Globe of Daylight, Lantern Light, Lifeblast, Life Source, Lightblade, Multiple Images, Repel Animals, See Aura, Sense Evil, Turn Dead; Adds 3 Spells per Level from a shorter list than Line Walkers)

Offense:
Unarmed +5-7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stakes +5-7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Vibro-Knife +5-7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Guns +5-7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (+7 vs. Vampires, DC 15-17), Parry +5 (+7 vs. Vampires), Toughness +2 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Killing Vampires)- Vampire Hunters begin hunting for many reasons, but all are fairly implacable.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 42 + Magic / Defenses: 9 (114 + Magic)

-Mage Vampire Hunters are a modification of Vampire Hunters that includes Magic- they must give up their rage and hatred against Vampires and relpace it with a desire for justice and knowledge. All of this makes them like Line Walkers with a limited spell list, adding to the standard Vampire Hunter set.