Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Darkstar! Crimson Dynamo! Titanium Man!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:18 am
Ares wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 am Titanium Man's armor shows one idea I've frequently had about Power Armor; namely that the hyper compact armor Iron Man wears should be limited to Tony Stark style genius/experts with a lot of resources.

Basically, Iron Man is the epitome of armor technology. It's the peak of the raw amount of power and versatility you can make while keeping the suit form fitting. If you want to be a power armor guy without Tony's brains, skills or resources, you have to sacrifice either size, power or versatility.

If you sacrifice power, you wind up with Street Level power armor like the Beetle.

If you sacrifice size, you wind up with Titanium Man sized armor, or Hulkbuster sized armor with the power of basic Iron Man armor.

That makes Power Suit guys like Guardian/Vindicator an oddity, but in that case each suit should be a one trick pony.
Yeah, I kinda like that notion, too- it makes Iron Man a lot more unique and interesting if not just anyone can find similar gear. That he doesn't even have a proper "Mirror Image Villain" on his own level (Dynamo is much weaker, and Titanium Man much bigger, like you said) makes this more clear.
Thanks!

It was something I liked about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. SHIELD had a team of power armor guys, but their armor was significantly bulkier than Tony's armor while also being much less powerful and versatile. Meanwhile Crimson Dynamo in that setting had armor roughly on par with Tony's (save for the huge flaw with the head dome), but was likely much bulkier.

I'd actually be okay with the Crimson Dynamo armor being slightly less effective than Tony's armor, since it's suppose to be the most advanced piece of tech the Russian government could come up with. Maybe have it be more like the War Machine armor where the emphasis is more on physical power and weaponry at the cost of Tony's more advanced sensors, versatile energy manipulation systems, etc. Then again, I prefer Dynamo as a Russian hero who occasionally has to fight his American counterpart (again, all thanks to Dimitri), rather than an outright villain. For a villain mirror image to Iron Man, I'd say go Titanium Man. It even has the same "(Metal) Man" mirror image style.

But yeah, everyone who isn't Tony and doesn't have a major nation's worth of power and resources would have to either have something inferior to Tony in some way, or do something unique. The Force Armor would be something along those lines, where the overall armor is inferior to Tony's, but it has something unique: a versatile force field system. One so advanced that it makes Force a unique challenge.

Meanwhile, something like the Guardsman armor is effective against run of the mill supervillains, but only if the Guardsmen are all well trained, working as a team, and significantly outnumber the villains. Otherwise they're going to get creamed, and individually the suits are way below Iron Man's level.

Using an Armor Wars example, the United States Government could build something on-par with or superior to Tony's armor with the Firepower suit, but it was a massive suit that was entirely focused on offensive power. Meanwhile Tony was able to build a suit of Iron Man armor that surpassed it within a few days, and it was actually slimmer than his previous suit.

Really, I tend to think of Tony as the most versatile Avenger outside of a very few. Thor is overall more powerful, but Tony's armor has a range of abilities that are all on the higher end of things that make him adaptable to most situations, and his brain gives him the capacity to out-think his opponents most of the time. It's more like the armor is a mobile tool box to give him whatever his brain needs at the time to come up with a solution to the problem.

Which makes it annoying when he appears in Carol Danvers book and she takes him out with no problem, because of his "affection" for her. Right. The lady that killed him. :roll:
Like, if it were easy, everyone would have a suit of it.
That was kind of the weird thing in the 80s, because it seemed like power armor was just popping up all over the place. At least with someone like the Seekers or the Raiders the armor was pretty limited, and you couldn't expect any of them individually to take on Iron Man. But then you'd get weird things, like some guy having a suit of power armor that apparently his uncle made for him, that he uses to annoy Spider-Man for a bit.

And then you'd get the spandex suits like Guardian, Blizzard and the like that gave people powers, but at least then the costumes are complete one trick ponies with basically no protection.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oops- forgot I posted a thing on the additional "extra" Titanium Men. I swapped out Vostok's build for those, as it'd be annoying to re-read this and see Vostok arbitrarily in the middle of them :).
Jabroniville

Vostok

Post by Jabroniville »

VOSTOK (aka Sputnik)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Kieron Dwyer
First Appearance: Captain America #352 (April 1989)
Role: Vision Lite, The Unemotional Guy, Team Robot
Country of Origin: The Soviet Union/Russia
Group Affiliations: The Soviet Super-Soldiers
PL 9 (220)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+7)
Perception 6 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Powers) 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Technology 11 (+14)
Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Teamwork, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery (Technology)

Powers:
"Synthezoid Contruction"
"Datalink" Communication 1 (Computers) [4]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [2]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Senses 8 (Extended & Infravision, Detect Technology- Acute & Ranged, Detect Life Force- Acute & Ranged) [8]
Movement 1 (Permeate) (Flaws: Limited to Technology) [1]

Transform 12 (Technology to Other Technology) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous) [72]

"Destabilize Tech" Blast 10 (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Penetrating) (Flaws: Limited to Technology) (22) -- [25]
  • AE: "Control Machinery" Affliction 10 (Tech Skill of Creator; Dazed/Stunned/Controlled) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (20)
  • AE: "Eye Beams" Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Mechanical Trap" Snare 8 (Flaws: Medium- Requires Large Technological Substance) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Eye Beams +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Destabilize +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Machine Control +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Russian Agent)
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- Vostok is made entirely of glistening metal, and cannot pass for a normal human.
Responsibility (Inhuman)- Vostok speaks very mechanically, and tends not to show emotion (though he can get annoyed).

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 135 / Defenses: 15 (220)

-Sputnik started out named after the first Soviet spacecraft that actually made orbit. Despite appearing in a handful of '90s comics, his origins are pretty much entirely unknown- he's a mix of human, human technology, and something aliens did, and that's all we know. Though he's very clearly a direct Soviet counterpart to the Vision, owing to sharing an android-like nature, a lack of emotions (as Vizh had at the time), and even the bald head. This is made pretty direct in his debut, where he is holographically disguised as the Avenger, along with the rest of the Soviets.

-So Sputnik was all unemotional and all that stuff- he vocalizes in a distracting manner-in-which-he-talks-with-dashes-in-between-each-and-every-word-and-it's-very-annoying-to-read, but thankfully this is dropped in some comics. He did various things in the issues I have featuring him, like messing up Vision with an internalized attack, turning a terrorist's gun into a flower (the universal symbol for peace), datalinking with a ship (by turning his arms into wires and stuff), and ensnared Orka using an Atlantean Undersea-Jetski that he transformed into a snare.

-In the Soviet Super-Soldiers one-shot, his presence disturbs the Soviets' human liaison, and he gets made fun of by Perun until he barely-survives an attack from The Unicorn and still helps defeat the villain, at which point the Russian Thunder God declares him a man after all. He also switches names in this issue- it's not stated, but changing his name from "Sputnik" (unmanned) to "Vostok" (the first MANNED vehicle ever sent into orbit) is a clear reference to him having some grip on his humanity.

-In The Crossing Line, he aids his team well, but doesn't get a lot of characterization (though he casually points out that their situation is unchanged "since you asked me X hours, Y minutes and Z seconds ago" to Red Guardian, who thinks to himself "We HAVE been doing this a while. Even VOSTOK is getting agitated"). He then took a massive 25+ year break after The Crossing Line, as far as I can tell, only popping up as a backgrounder in Jason Aaron's Avengers- he briefly quotes something I've never heard before and uses his Eye Beams only, but is otherwise merely mentioned as a "Synthezoid".

-Power-wise, he's actually VERY decent for a PL 9. It's my opinion that a Synthezoid is basically a human being (they've got organs and the like), and less of a construct, so they DO have Stamina and Fortitude scores. Aside from that, he's got tough skin, he can fly, and he can shoot energy blasts or make machines do whatever he wants, and royally screw up anything mechanical as well (he's got Transform 12). He once halted Vision just by waving his hand (Vision, naturally, is mechanical), and tied up Orka using a submersible as a tool. A pretty devastating power in the right hands, but he seemed to lack the ability to use it super-effectively, despite being extremely-pricey overall- a Continuous Transform at any kind of a level will cost a lot.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:00 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:18 am
Ares wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 am Titanium Man's armor shows one idea I've frequently had about Power Armor; namely that the hyper compact armor Iron Man wears should be limited to Tony Stark style genius/experts with a lot of resources.

Basically, Iron Man is the epitome of armor technology. It's the peak of the raw amount of power and versatility you can make while keeping the suit form fitting. If you want to be a power armor guy without Tony's brains, skills or resources, you have to sacrifice either size, power or versatility.

If you sacrifice power, you wind up with Street Level power armor like the Beetle.

If you sacrifice size, you wind up with Titanium Man sized armor, or Hulkbuster sized armor with the power of basic Iron Man armor.

That makes Power Suit guys like Guardian/Vindicator an oddity, but in that case each suit should be a one trick pony.
Yeah, I kinda like that notion, too- it makes Iron Man a lot more unique and interesting if not just anyone can find similar gear. That he doesn't even have a proper "Mirror Image Villain" on his own level (Dynamo is much weaker, and Titanium Man much bigger, like you said) makes this more clear.
Thanks!

It was something I liked about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. SHIELD had a team of power armor guys, but their armor was significantly bulkier than Tony's armor while also being much less powerful and versatile. Meanwhile Crimson Dynamo in that setting had armor roughly on par with Tony's (save for the huge flaw with the head dome), but was likely much bulkier.

I'd actually be okay with the Crimson Dynamo armor being slightly less effective than Tony's armor, since it's suppose to be the most advanced piece of tech the Russian government could come up with. Maybe have it be more like the War Machine armor where the emphasis is more on physical power and weaponry at the cost of Tony's more advanced sensors, versatile energy manipulation systems, etc. Then again, I prefer Dynamo as a Russian hero who occasionally has to fight his American counterpart (again, all thanks to Dimitri), rather than an outright villain. For a villain mirror image to Iron Man, I'd say go Titanium Man. It even has the same "(Metal) Man" mirror image style.

But yeah, everyone who isn't Tony and doesn't have a major nation's worth of power and resources would have to either have something inferior to Tony in some way, or do something unique. The Force Armor would be something along those lines, where the overall armor is inferior to Tony's, but it has something unique: a versatile force field system. One so advanced that it makes Force a unique challenge.

Meanwhile, something like the Guardsman armor is effective against run of the mill supervillains, but only if the Guardsmen are all well trained, working as a team, and significantly outnumber the villains. Otherwise they're going to get creamed, and individually the suits are way below Iron Man's level.

Using an Armor Wars example, the United States Government could build something on-par with or superior to Tony's armor with the Firepower suit, but it was a massive suit that was entirely focused on offensive power. Meanwhile Tony was able to build a suit of Iron Man armor that surpassed it within a few days, and it was actually slimmer than his previous suit.

Really, I tend to think of Tony as the most versatile Avenger outside of a very few. Thor is overall more powerful, but Tony's armor has a range of abilities that are all on the higher end of things that make him adaptable to most situations, and his brain gives him the capacity to out-think his opponents most of the time. It's more like the armor is a mobile tool box to give him whatever his brain needs at the time to come up with a solution to the problem.

Which makes it annoying when he appears in Carol Danvers book and she takes him out with no problem, because of his "affection" for her. Right. The lady that killed him. :roll:
Like, if it were easy, everyone would have a suit of it.
That was kind of the weird thing in the 80s, because it seemed like power armor was just popping up all over the place. At least with someone like the Seekers or the Raiders the armor was pretty limited, and you couldn't expect any of them individually to take on Iron Man. But then you'd get weird things, like some guy having a suit of power armor that apparently his uncle made for him, that he uses to annoy Spider-Man for a bit.

And then you'd get the spandex suits like Guardian, Blizzard and the like that gave people powers, but at least then the costumes are complete one trick ponies with basically no protection.
After Acts of Vengeance Tony redesigned the Guardsmen armors to be more or less on par with his own (at the time he was running the Model 9 "Neo-Classic armor"), but with a battery that lasted only 5 minutes outside of the Vault.
Most of the "armored villains" suits are kind of interesting because they're specifically designed to have some kind of external gimmick. For example, the Raiders' armors have their weapon systems mounted externally, same with the Seekers. All of this kind of harkens back to Tony's first attempt at a stealth armor, which had no internal weapons to make room for the anti-radar equipment.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I always like Titanium Man armor over Crimson Dynamo, maybe because the (green) color made him stand out/opposite of Iron Man. Sort of reminded me of Hulk too, with it being larger and more powerful.

Great Black Widow pic in first Sputnik above.
Jabroniville

Fantasma

Post by Jabroniville »

Apparently Soviet Russia doesn't get as cold as we thought.

FANTASMA (Real Name Unknown, aka Fantasia)
Created By:
Role: The Mage, Skanky Dresser, The Mole
Country of Origin: The Soviet Union/Russia (actually Dire Wraith Homeworld)
PL 10 (156)
STRENGTH
1/6 STAMINA 4/8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Deception 8 (+9)
Expertise (Magic Lore) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Russian Agent) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Dire Wraith Agent) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Bio-Field Manipulation) 4 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ritualist, Skill Mastery (Deception), Trance

Powers:
"Bio-Field Manipulation"
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Control Bodies" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (Flaws: Distracting) (31) -- [39]
  • Dynamic AE: Mind Reading 8 (Feats: Sensory Link) (Extras: Effortless, Resisted by Fortitude +0) (26)
  • Dynamic AE: Mental Communication 3 (Feats: Dimensional) (14)
  • Dynamic AE: Illusions (Vision & Hearing) 10 (Flaws: Resisted by Fortitude) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Affects Others, Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (11)
"Dire Wraith Form"
Morph 2 (Dire Wraith, Forms of Those She's Killed with Spike) [10]
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
"Brain Spike" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Accurate 2) Linked to Features 1 (Absorbs the Memories of Those Killed) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Dire Wraith Brain Spike +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Body Control +10 Perception (+10 Perception Affliction, DC 20)
Mind Reading +8 (DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+8 Dire Wraith), Fortitude +6 (+10 Dire Wraith), Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Outsider)- Fantasma has always felt different from other people. She was a foundling child, and even her teammates found her disconcerting and odd.
Secret (Dire Wraiths)- Fantasma is secretly a member of the shapeshifting demonic Dire Wraiths.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 17 (156)

-Fantasma's a bit of a curiosity- kind of a Mage-type character, she's a "Bio-Field Manipulator" who can use her powers to control, read, or mess with people, and wears your everyday classic skankatronic outfit (though initially it was just a plunging neckline- it would basically become a monokini in the 2000s). She was initially called Fantasia, which got changed for reasons you can probably imagine (humorously, they'd probably be moot now). Like most of the People's Protectorate, she was based off of an active Avenger- with long, black hair and magical-looking powers, she was their "Sersi".

-Fantasma was kind of the curt, impolite character in The Crossing Line, useful in battles and getting super-stuff done, but rather short with people and quick to just tell everyone else what to do (she even bosses CAPTAIN AMERICA around, and Red Guardian just kind of resigns himself to the fact that they all have to deal with it). She was vastly important to the story- she aided Sersi in communicating between dimensions within Shaman's mystic pouch (it was a complicated story), and helped save the day. Though Sersi lost her shit on the woman, calling her a "Haggling Witch!".

-She didn't really do anything else after that, so nobody really minded when it was revealed in Darkstar & The Winter Guard that she had actually been a DIRE WRAITH all along- a vicious shapeshifting monster than wanted to stage an invasion into our world. Saying that she had been a "foundling" child, never feeling like she fit in anywhere, she realized her origins when her offshoot group "The Protectorate" found a bunch of Dire Wraiths in Limbo. Along the way, most of her teammates confess to distrusting her- the two women on her squad diss her "slutty outfit", weird prophecies, and inexplicable appearance. Finally, she was stopped, but is still at-large.

-Basically a Dynamic Array of Mind Controller-type telepathic powers, but with a different descriptor (Bio-Field Manipulation is basically like reading things with Fortitude instead), plus some secret alien powers that let her suck out memories (and turn her into a reasonable PL 8-level physical threat).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sort of a pity. They could have done something with her at least as interesting as the Brood who found Jesus.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Perun

Post by Jabroniville »

He has that “looks different in every story” disease.

PERUN (Valeri Slovloyev)
Created By:
Role: Thor Lite, Team Powerhouse
Godly Role: Russian God of Thunder & Lightning, Fire, Mountains, Oak, Iris, Eagle, Firmament, Horses, Carts, Weapons & War
Country of Origin: The Soviet Union/Russia
PL 10 (162)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Mythical Being) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+8)
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Lightning) 2 (+9)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Immortal Dieva (Slavic God)"
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold, Disease, Fatigue Effects) [10]
Immunity 2 (Drowning & Suffocation, Poison, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
"Lightning Attack" Damage 11 [11]

"Godly Axe" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2- Only Perun/Thunder Gods) [28]
"Weather Control" Environment 5 (500 feet) (Impede Movement, Visibility) (10)

"Lightning Bolt/Axe Line" Damage 10 (Extras: Area-Line 60ft. +2) (30) -- (36)
  • AE: "Lightning" Damage +0 (Extras: Ranged 11) (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Indirect- From Above) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (22)
  • AE: "Axe Smash" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 10) (11)
  • AE: "Axe Throw" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 13, Penetrating 10) (24)
  • AE: "Air Control" Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects, Limited to When Both are on Ground) (7)
  • AE: Flight 11 (4,000 mph) (22)
-- (46 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Axe +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Lightning +9 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Axe Throw +7 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Lightning Bolt +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +5

Complications:
Normal Identity (Valeri Sovloyev)- There is an ordinary Russian man who trades places with Perun, and he desperately wants to be able to spend time with his family. This creates some problems, as Perun likes to party and remain on Earth for as long as possible.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 11 (162)

Perun in Mythology: Slavic Mythology kinda rips off Norse Mythology in a few ways- their most-famous and notable God, Perun, is basically Thor Lite in every way, complete with Goat-Driven Chariot and Thunder Weapon. To the point where it seems like he's just a renamed Thor. Part of the issue was that the Slavs (the peoples of Romania, Russia & Slovakia, amongst others) left no written record of their myths, and only wrote 'em down once Christianity had taken hold. However, a few of their other myths live on- they created the concept of Vampires, and Baba Yaga is their most-famous mythological individual by a country mile.

-Perun's concept was as simple as "let's make a Russian counterpart to Thor". So they took a Slavic God (himself basically a Thor-type, with a more elaborate Sky God set-up), gave him a magic axe (contrary to his aforementioned mythical gear) and lightning powers, and tossed him out there. He sort of did the "I don't really want to do this" act, regretting the Sovietski's actions, but those had mostly subsided by the time his team, the People's Protectorate, met up with the Avengers & Alpha Flight. The highlight for him of THAT particular tale is referring to the merged being The Combine as "buttocks-touching baboons!".

-Perun is a factor in Soviet Super-Soldiers, at first bullying his teammate Sputnik, and enjoying his brawl against the insane, super-powerful villain the Unicorn. After a huge brawl, though, he appreciates Sputnik's help and confesses that the machine he'd been teasing may be part MAN, too. Later, we discover that Perun merely exists in the body of a man named Valeri, and the Thunder God has been selfish with his time, refusing to change back and thus costing Valeri months with his wife. Finally, Valeri is convinced to change back to Perun for the People's Protectorate's big public debut, with the promise that "we'll try to convince Perun to change back" sooner. Then, Perun reappears with a different-looking costume.

-He did some jobbing around this time, basically being lesser than Thor, and had more or less vanished after about 1992, only reappearing in the backdrop in the modern Avengers series with the rest of the Winter Guard. There, he immediately started fighting with his own teammate and fellow God, Chernobog, and appeared to be much older and more Odin-like than he had in the past, with a long grey beard and the "shirtless medieval guy in a cape and Viking helmet" look. Curiously, he has never interacted with, nor encountered Thor in all these years until 2019's Avengers #10, and even then they don't speak to each other! I actually find concepts like Gods from other cultures very interesting, as our link to comics tends to only produce Norse & Olympian cosmologies (with some minor lip service to Egypt's pantheon), so a Slavic God is actually a pretty cool idea. Too bad they never went anywhere with it- this fourth-string foreigner is by far their most notable member in the Marvel Universe.

-Perun is essentially a very cheap, bare-bones version of Thor, fit to near-P.C. levels (he could be PL 11, but her certainly didn't seem up to it in the stories I have featuring the guy). He has a modicum of powers, and he's jobbed out pretty badly to upper-level guys like the Hulk, so he's obviously no PL 12 powerhouse- in issues I own, he barely holds his own with Orka (granted, it was in the water, where he's PL 11), and his best shots just kind of knock villains over, and he shows no more overall power than a holding-back Quasar, Crimson Dynamo or Box. PL 10 seems about right for him (he IS a God, after all)- he's got many of Thor's powers, but almost all of them are reduced. He can't hold his breath indefinitely (one hour is what he directly states), he can fire Lightning when unarmed (as I learned in a Hulk issue where Ol' Jade Jaws disarmed him of his weapon), and throw his Axe, and use it to fly, but it's all at lower levels. He could maybe give She-Hulk or The Thing a half-decent fight, but I think he'd ultimately lose, especially if he drops the Axe (which can be destroyed- the frickin' UNICORN once nuked it).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Crimson Dynamo! Titanium Man! Fantasma! Perun!)

Post by M4C8 »

It's a shame that Perun jobs so easily, I think he has potential and could be a top tier Earth hero. Even if he's not as powerful as Thor he should still be able to defeat character such as She-Hulk and Captain Marvel given that he should have a much higher level of combat ability and experience.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Davies

Post by Davies »

Perhaps he lacks conviction.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Spam

Post by Spam »

M4C8 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 pm It's a shame that Perun jobs so easily, I think he has potential and could be a top tier Earth hero. Even if he's not as powerful as Thor he should still be able to defeat character such as She-Hulk and Captain Marvel given that he should have a much higher level of combat ability and experience.
Didn't you get the memo? NOBODY can beat Captain Marvel
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Spam wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:46 am
M4C8 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 pm It's a shame that Perun jobs so easily, I think he has potential and could be a top tier Earth hero. Even if he's not as powerful as Thor he should still be able to defeat character such as She-Hulk and Captain Marvel given that he should have a much higher level of combat ability and experience.
Didn't you get the memo? NOBODY can beat Captain Marvel
:lol:
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Grenzer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:31 am My next profile covers one of the most famous characters to come out of Soviet cinema. He is so beloved, statues of him (à la Rocky Balboa) stand in a number of Russian cities, and Russian cosmonauts watch his film before every mission as a good luck ritual. I refer to...

Krasnoarmeyets(1) Fyodor Ivanovich Sukhov (also referred to as Tovarisch/Comrade Sukhov): The protagonist of the 1970 film White Sun of the Desert, the most famous of the Ostern(2) film genre, portrayed by Anatoly Kuznetsov. He is a demobilized cavalryman of the Red Army wandering around Central Asia in the early 1920's, looking to get home to the city of Samara and his beloved wife Ekartarina Matveyevna. He is apparently somewhat of a living legend in both the Red Army and among the locals of Turkestan. One officer eagerly states that Sukhov is worth a whole company of regular soldiers. Furthermore, as quoted from a translation of his article on Russian Wikipedia:
Ah, so this is mostly just from one movie?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:59 pm I always like Titanium Man armor over Crimson Dynamo, maybe because the (green) color made him stand out/opposite of Iron Man. Sort of reminded me of Hulk too, with it being larger and more powerful.

Great Black Widow pic in first Sputnik above.
Green was such a thing for villains in those days- both Kirby & Ditko always had guys covered in it :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

He's kind of odd in that he's supposed to be like Thor, but also just some regular super-guy- he's easily beaten by the monster the Supreme Soviets conjure up while comatose. So he's just your everyday impostor, only a little more powerful than Marvel's baseline Gods.