Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Carol Danvers! Photon! Quasar! Jarvis!)

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:33 am
Shock wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:28 am
drkrash wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:49 am I wish they didn't bring Peggy back. Given that it's comic books, I can get over it, but I wish they hadn't.

However, I despise the Daughters of Liberty. The concept is fine (in broad terms). But the idea that all these (presently) prominent (and ethnically diverse) female super characters have been a secret conspiracy since the beginning of the Marvel age is just stupid.
So they're the female version of the Illuminati (which was a bad idea to begin with)?
Yes, but they're all women, so therefore they're perfectly competent. In these issues of Cap, Steve pretty much tags along being clueless while the Daughters of Liberty explain things to him.

God damnit Marvel.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Machine Man

Post by Jabroniville »

MACHINE MAN (X-51, aka Aaron Stack, Unit Z2P45-9-X-51, Mister Machine)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: 2001: A Space Odyssey #8 (July 1977)
Role: Wants To Be Human Guy
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, Nextwave
Avengers Grade: D-Level
PL 9 (182)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Current Events) 2 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 6 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Equipment 2 (Robo-Gear), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Robotic Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 10 (Extras: Impervious 9) [19]
Senses 6 (Low-Light & Extended Vision, Radar- Ranged Accurate Radio Sense 4) [6]
Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]
"Computer Link" Communication 1 (Computers) [4]
"Nanotech Make-Up" Regeneration 6 [6]

"Telescoping Arms" Elongation 4 (120 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Arms) [2]
"Anti-Gravity Discs" Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Finger Payloads"
"Blasters" Blast 8 (Feats: Variable Descriptor- Fire, Laser Cutter or Bullet) (17) -- [21]
  • AE: "Cold" Snare 5 (15)
  • AE: "Electrical Blast" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (16)
  • AE: "Nanotech Boost" Healing 8 (Flaws: Limited to Machines, Limited to Others) (4)
  • AE: "Useful Devices" Variable 1 (Mechanical Powers) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Blasters +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Electrical Blast +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss (Solar-Powered)- If denied access to the sun, Machine Man will slowly power down.
Vulnerable (Magnetic & Electrical Attacks)- X-51 is made of metal, and is thus more-vulnerable to certain kinds of attacks.
Relationship (Jocasta)- Aaron has fallen for the daughter of Ultron a few times.
Reputation (Asshole)- Over the years, Aaron grew tired of saving humans in order to earn their love, and has since tried to mimic "the fleshies", now looking out for number one. He is now a huge prick, insulting everyone and offending swaths of the superhuman community.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 101 / Defenses: 10 (182)

X-51- Late Kirby Didn't Hit a Lotta Home Runs:
-Jack Kirby was doing one of his "what is the nature of humanity?" things with Machine Man, but it just never stuck. His later creations never quite had the impact of his Marvel Silver Age stuff, and the goofy purple X-51 was no exception. Hell, even STEVE DITKO got a run at him on art, and it still failed quickly and badly. Poor guy had a silly look, lame powers, and was your standard Star Trek morality tale, which was totally run into the ground by that point (Vision, for example, did it much better). In recent years with Nextwave, he's basically been a riff on Futurama's Bender, but a lot more annoying- he reads like that "griefing" player in a Role Playing Game who always wants to be the crazy asshole who says offensive things (writing Bender-type characters is harder than it looks). My only modern memories of him are in Marvel's HORRIBLE "Technical Guy" run of books under one label, all of which died horrible, horrible deaths. His link to the Avengers is tenuous at best, being a reserve member for a short time. Curiously enough, the guy was created for the 2001: A Space Oddysey books that Marvel was running.

-In case it's not clear, I despise this character, think he looks stupid, and find the Warren Ellis-written version to be my least-favorite thing by Warren Ellis.

X-51 Debuts:
-X-51 debuted in a 2001 book, being created from a series of sentient robots invented by Dr. Abel Stack for military purposes. However, all fifty of his predecessors went mad upon achieving sentience, due to a lack of identity- X-51 differed from them by being raised like a son by Stack, and by being given a human face. Oh, and being exposed to one of the monoliths from the 2001 movie (do they still mention that part?). Dr. Stack died protecting X-51, and so the robot took the name "Aaron Stack" and escaped confinement, only to be pursued by the army (you can definitely tell this is the Vietnam era when the U.S. armed forces are the bad guys). He took the name "Mister Machine" at first, but soon switched to "Machine Man", which he's kept ever since. He teamed up with the Hulk once or twice, then the Fantastic Four, and became part of the general Marvel Universe as he attempted to learn more about humanity. He fought a drunken Iron Man and fell in love with Jocasta of the Avengers, but saw her seemingly destroyed by Ultron.

-Machine Man later joined the reserve roster of the Avengers, got captured by S.H.I.E.L.D. (who wanted to use his technology to make another "Deathlok"), then helps the X-Men during Operation: Zero Tolerance- all of these events took place across like twenty frickin' years, to give you an idea of how little-used Machine Man really was. He was on zero of the Marvel Cards I owned between Series I-IV. Then, inexplicably, he is given the book X-51 as part of Marvel's Technology-themed line (that also saw the "Kid Sentinel" book released)- this was more or less an instant failure, as most of Marvel's "Let's release a whole line of weakly-linked books!" era was. In the end, he finds another monolith (ah, so that answers that) and meets their creators- the Celestials.

Nextwave- Agents of H.A.T.E.:
-And then... we get THIS arc. So Warren Ellis is given free reign in a book that was of questionable continuity, using only side characters, which is fine. He and I have similar senses of dark humor, so I should have been into it... but he kinda got out of hand here. Usually calling himself Aaron Stack now, he joins the Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort until realizing that their group (with Monica Rambeau, Boom-Boom, Captain ____ and Elsa Bloodstone- all forgotten/side characters) was founded by the very group that they were fighting. This causes them to go rogue. Along the way, Ellis completely revamps Aaron's character, as he now turns into the most giant asshole ever (ironically, he was initially one of very few Marvel heroes who WASN'T kind of an asshole, and was now the douchiest of them all), calling humans "fleshy ones" and acting like a drunken goof. He gains a self-important attitude, a drinking habit ("my brain needs beer"), and constantly stares at Elsa B's chest, much to her chagrin.

-In short, it's a writer indulging his worst "I want to write a character who says everything I want to say" tendencies, from the looks of things. It's "Fishmalk" stuff at the worst, with zany stuff, abrasive quotes, and more. This version eventually becomes the in-continuity version for some reason. His appearances since then are relatively-few, mostly sticking around Nextwave, Marvel Zombies (where he appeared as his own self, teleporting to that dimension) & Red Hulk, most of which showing his new, douchebaggy personality.

-Like most robots and machines, Machine-Man costs one heck of a lot of points (180 points total- dropping 30 points for his Immunity), and has a ton of fancy stuff loaded into him. Rather than try to stat up every techno-thing he's ever produced from his fingers, he gets 20 points of Equipment on him. His offensive and defensive potential isn't great, as he's no major combatant, but he's strong enough to do some damage, especially with his extending limbs (adding dozens of feet to his punches). He's added some Regeneration in recent years, and he's almost a Swiss Army Knife in "Nextwave", so you can take or leave certain aspects of the character, and add more at-will.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Machine Man

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:56 am -X-51 debuted in a 2001 book, being created from a series of sentient robots invented by Dr. Abel Stack for military purposes. However, all fifty of his predecessors went mad upon achieving sentience, due to a lack of identity- X-51 differed from them by being raised like a son by Stack, and by being given a human face. Oh, and being exposed to one of the monoliths from the 2001 movie (do they still mention that part?).
As early as the original Marvel Handbook, it was being quietly omitted. Despite this, the whole 2001 comic book, not just the parts about him, was included on a list of "these titles are Marvel canon" at one point in the late 80s. And the concept was used to very good effect in Earth-X, where Machine Man gets some great bits, notably passing judgement on the Watchers.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Carol! Photon! Quasar! Jarvis! Machine Man!)

Post by Shock »

Machine-Man as a robot rights activist has been hilarious in more recent Iron Man books. He's definitely not "wants to be human guy" anymore.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:56 amX-51- Late Kirby Didn't Hit a Lotta Home Runs:
Jack Kirby was one of those creators who needed a collaborator. This isn't a knock on his talents. It is just the nature being a creative soul in a commercial field. Kirby's work done alongside Joe Simon or his work done in conjunction with Stan Lee was more consistently good than the stuff he did either on his own or when he was powerful enough that people wouldn't challenge him.

The Eternals, the Manhunter revival (1st Issue Special #5), Atlas (1st Issue Special #1), the Dingbats of Danger Street (!?!) (1st Issue Special #6), Machine Man. These are not works of greatness. These are works of Jack Kirby with Jack having absolute creative control.

Even the New Gods... I find it almost unreadable.

He was a talented artist, but stylised, and that style, like all styles, is a matter of taste.
He was a decent idea man: e.g. Gru made the Eternals work, Englehart repurposed the Shan(Manhunter cult).

But he needed a tempering influence, an editor or a co-creator, someone to say "that's good, but what if you do..."

Jack Kirby was an Image Comics artist born 40 years to soon.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ken wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:17 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:56 amX-51- Late Kirby Didn't Hit a Lotta Home Runs:
Jack Kirby was one of those creators who needed a collaborator. This isn't a knock on his talents. It is just the nature being a creative soul in a commercial field. Kirby's work done alongside Joe Simon or his work done in conjunction with Stan Lee was more consistently good than the stuff he did either on his own or when he was powerful enough that people wouldn't challenge him.

The Eternals, the Manhunter revival (1st Issue Special #5), Atlas (1st Issue Special #1), the Dingbats of Danger Street (!?!) (1st Issue Special #6), Machine Man. These are not works of greatness. These are works of Jack Kirby with Jack having absolute creative control.

Even the New Gods... I find it almost unreadable.

He was a talented artist, but stylised, and that style, like all styles, is a matter of taste.
He was a decent idea man: e.g. Gru made the Eternals work, Englehart repurposed the Shan(Manhunter cult).

But he needed a tempering influence, an editor or a co-creator, someone to say "that's good, but what if you do..."

Jack Kirby was an Image Comics artist born 40 years to soon.
I think that real reason why the early Marvel took of is that Stan and Jack worked as a constant soundboard for each other.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Doctor Druid

Post by Jabroniville »

Doctor Druid- the only character so lame that his lameness has become his most iconic character trait IN-UNIVERSE.

DOCTOR DRUID (Anthony Ludgate Druid, aka Doctor Droom, Druid)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Amazing Adventures #1 (June 1961)
Role: Crappier Version of Dr. Strange, The Scrappy, Worst Avenger Ever
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Defenders, The Illuminati, The Order
Avengers Grade: C-Level (barely a member)
PL 10 (169)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 10 (+10)
Expertise (Sorceror) 9 (+14)
Expertise (Psychiatry) 6 (+11)
Expertise (History) 3 (+8)
Insight 8 (+11)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Artificer, Ranged Attack 5, Ritualist, Trance

Powers:
"Not as Good as Dr. Strange Magical Might"
Senses 4 (Postcognition) (Flaws: Limited to Magical Objects) [2]
Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Ranged, Tracking) [3]

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Sustained +2) (60) -- [66]
  • AE: "Telepathy" Mind Reading 9 & Mental Communication 5 (38)
  • AE: "Mass Hypnosis" Affliction 7 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Concentration) (29)
  • AE: Concealment (All Senses) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Mental) (21)
  • AE: Illusion 10 (Visual & Audio) (Feats: Selective) (31)
  • AE: "Psychokinesis" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception Range) & Flight 5 (60 mph) -- (34)
  • AE: "Yogic Trance" Immunity 8 (Drowning, Suffocation, Starvation & Thirst, Pain Effects) (Extras: Sustained +0) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mind Control -- (+10 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Telepathy (DC 19)
Mass Hypnosis +7 Area (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Magic)- Magical spells are dependent upon verbal components and hand-movements. If Dr. Druid is tied up, bound, snared or anything else, he will be unable to cast spells.
Vulnerable (Iron)- Iron will negatively affect Druid's spells, and break through his fields with ease.
Reputation (Worst Avenger Ever)- Even compared to Silverclaw and Deathcry. Seriously, HE SUCKS. Pym is like worth two Caps compared to Druid.
Reputation (Not as Good as Dr. Strange)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 71 / Defenses: 12 (169)

Doctor Druid- The Worst Avenger Ever:
-When there's any list out there to see who the worst Avenger ever is, there's only one name you'll see on EVERYONE'S, since people like Silverclaw and Miss Shi'ar '90s Stereotype tend to be forgotten by all but the most intensive fanboys (like, y'know, us). And that name is Doctor Druid. Why? It could be his lame generic red tights and cape. His betrayal of the Avengers. Being thrice taken over by evil villains. Being randomly killed off. Being the only fat male hero in the entire Marvel Universe until Butterball (who was at least SUPPOSED to be silly) debuted. Any of these reasons are good enough. Hell, in one side-story, She-Hulk & Wasp agreed upon Druid as the "Worst Avenger Ever" and made fun of him for a full panel of mockery. Even his successor/son (sure, why not? Everyone else has mystery kids pop up out of nowhere) is just some forgotten loser named "Druid". In Chaos War, he was temporarily-resurrected, and even THERE they knock on him for being an ass. Basically, "Doctor Druid Sucks" is like a Marvel Meme- an in-universe running gag that he's just a giant shitpiece. It's hilarious.

Druid's Misbegotten Run:
-Doctor Druid got his start before the "Marvel Age" really took off, in fact- Stan Lee, Jack Kirby AND Steve Ditko all worked on the tale of "Doctor Droom", who was a play on all the Eastern mysticism-related characters in five issues of Amazing Adventures in 1961. There, a white guy gained magical powers and his features "Became ORIENTAL!" as a symbol for his increasing mystical powers. Yeah. Stan confesses he just forgot about the guy, and later made Doctor Strange instead.

-Roger Stern (oh, NOW I get why he joined Stern's Avengers...) would bring the character back in a 1970s anthology book Weird Wonder Tales, renaming him "Doctor Druid" (since Marvel by this point had a Doctor DOOM). And then, of course, he becomes a regular guy on The Avengers. Druid's later reputation as the "Worst Avenger Ever" becomes all the funnier when I realized that the actual character wasn't really that bad at first- having read a lot of Stern's run, I kind of "get him" more. He sucks- but he's SUPPOSED to be a giant ass! You're SUPPOSED to be annoyed when this goofy-looking turd starts out helpful, but then immediately starts gunning for Captain Marvel's leadership of the team! He's actually a manipulative, unlikeable piece of crap-- but it's deliberate! Which makes all the difference from all those times the writer creates a Mary Sue and just has them come across as an insufferable ass by accident. And while Druid's appearance was awful (he didn't get the gut till later, but his outfit was horribly-generic), he actually had a unique set of powers- Meserism & Illusions in a HEROIC character are rather unusual.

Druid's History:
-Doctor Druid was a pyschologist and explorer with some hypnotism-related abilities who gained further mystical power when a Tibetan lama came to the U.S. for treatment. This was later retconned as being the Ancient One, who was setting Druid up as a potential student in case Stephen Strange didn't work out. He was a minor character who only appeared in a couple Hulk tales before joining the Avengers, probably because Roger Stern was a fan. He helps them during Under Siege when the Masters of Evil take over Avengers Mansion (convincing Blackout to release his grip on the Mansion, thus being important in saving the day). In this, he earned his spot on the team the old-school way (Random Team-Up = Joining the Team; they need a story where someone deliberately-plots trying out for the team by artificially setting up one of those situations). He also helped in the fight against the Olympian Gods, and more, but an undercurrent of the story sees him trying to undermine Captain Marvel's leadership of the team so that HE can take over. He was mind-controlled by the Terminatrix into hurting the team, and this left him disgraced and humiliated. He left the squad after Stern was fired- Mark Gruenwald was the one who both fired Stern AND had the "Worst Avenger Ever" rep attached to him- make of that what you will.

-Druid actually appeared in a four-issue Druid Limited Series written by Warren Ellis of all people in 1995, and in an odd shake-up, took over the Secret Defenders book from Doctor Strange shortly before that book was cancelled. In that book, he was again mind-controlled- by a demon named Slorioth. The team disbanded in the wake of that arc. He decided to become a real, proper druid (named "Druid") and work on his powers, but a lust for more power took him over, and he went insane. He was finally killed by Daimon Hellstrom (the Son of Satan), and promptly forgotten. Now THAT is an ignominious end!

-Druid has since shown up only in Chaos War: Dead Avengers as a temporary resurrection, where he's again mocked for sucking. And then he reappears in Squadron Supreme, appearing on Weirdworld and facing this cross-dimensional squad of heroes- he says that his soul took corporeal form there so that he could still be alive. A son named "Druid" has appeared as one of Nick Fury's Secret Commandoes, as well.

Doctor Druid's Abilities:
-Druid kind of sucks stats-wise. He doesn't have any decent damage spells at his finger-tips, good Attack or Defense, or any particularly useful skills outside of his Expertise & Insight. His best tactics in battle involve creating illusions, making himself invisible, and hypnotizing people, though none of these are battle winners on their own- at best, he's a half-decent Team Player. Though it can be a bit tricky- he had to distract Tigra just to use his Hypnotism on her one time, but on a later date managed to put a hold on FREAKING MAGNETO, whose Will Save is at least +12, even as a less-sure-of-himself good guy. And check out that WILL CHECK- anyone and everyone could overcome his weak-ass mind. You suck, Dr. Druid. What's funny is that his powers include a ton of straight-up Magic, even though he was careful in the Stern days to point out that he WASN'T MAGIC, and instead used mesmerism and other mental powers- a Mentalist, not a Wizard.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Photon! Quasar! Jarvis! Machine Man! Dr. Druid!)

Post by greycrusader »

Rather clearly, Gruenwald took out a bit of his dislike for Roger Stern on Druid; while the character suffered from a costume that looked silly and boring (he really did resemble a SCA wizard/D&D cosplayer more than a superhero), and was intended to be a bit manipulative and secretive, Druid wasn't an uber-loser until Gruenwald hung that on him. He then was used as a lame substitute for Dr. Strange in the Secret Defenders books, which was short-lived and filled with D-listers.

The character actually worked really well in the Monster Hunters mini-series; he was the team's occult/ancient lore expert, along with using his mentalism to facilitate their travels, provide useful distractions, and so on. He was helped immensely by being redesigned, wearing a pinstriped dark grey business suit, and being drawn as paunchy but also broad-shouldered and strong looking. And he just fit better into a 1950s/1960s milieu, which also suited another Monster Hunters member, Ulysses Bloodstone.

And Ken, I'd actually disagree a bit about Jack Kirby; absolutely he worked best with co-writers or editors who could help anchor his fantastically imaginative ideas, but there were almost always at least elements of greatness in his work, even if unrealized. But yes-with Jack and Stan, you get teh Silver Surfer, but with just Kirby, you get the Black Racer. Still, I'll contend his Kamandi is right up there with the Tin-Tin adventures as among the best in "boy's fantasy adventure".

All my best.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Druid's currently popping up in the new Dr. Strange book. Looks like they're setting him up as a villain or at least a character of pretty major import.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Why did Druid's image change?

He had big arms, but a big gut with a crazed facial look that later changed to a trimmer build with a full head of hair, even extending into a ponytail!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:27 pm Why did Druid's image change?

He had big arms, but a big gut with a crazed facial look that later changed to a trimmer build with a full head of hair, even extending into a ponytail!
It looks like they wanted him to be taken more seriously, so they made him darker and more “cool” instead of a balding, chubby guy.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:37 pm Rather clearly, Gruenwald took out a bit of his dislike for Roger Stern on Druid; while the character suffered from a costume that looked silly and boring (he really did resemble a SCA wizard/D&D cosplayer more than a superhero), and was intended to be a bit manipulative and secretive, Druid wasn't an uber-loser until Gruenwald hung that on him. He then was used as a lame substitute for Dr. Strange in the Secret Defenders books, which was short-lived and filled with D-listers.
It’s really weird- nobody speaks ill of Gru since he died, so this era often goes unremarked upon. But this seems quite petty and adversarial.
The character actually worked really well in the Monster Hunters mini-series; he was the team's occult/ancient lore expert, along with using his mentalism to facilitate their travels, provide useful distractions, and so on. He was helped immensely by being redesigned, wearing a pinstriped dark grey business suit, and being drawn as paunchy but also broad-shouldered and strong looking. And he just fit better into a 1950s/1960s milieu, which also suited another Monster Hunters member, Ulysses Bloodstone.
Never heard of it- who else was on the cast?
Ken

Re: Doctor Druid

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:38 pm Image

DOCTOR DRUID (Anthony Ludgate Druid, aka Doctor Droom, Druid)
Avengers Grade: C-Level (barely a member)

I don't know, Yellow Jacket seems to think Dr. D. is a ... member.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

One of the funniest for me was when the Avengers and WCA were taken by the grandmaster for his game with Death. he ended up fighting Dracula in a battle of wills and lost horribly with Dracula basically amused by the whole affair while snapping his neck like a twig.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Living Lightning

Post by Jabroniville »

LIVING LIGHTNING (Miguel Santos)
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas & Paul Ryan
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #63 (Oct. 1990)
Role: Token Minority, Double-Minority, The Gay Guy, Forgotten Character, Flying Blaster
Group Affiliations: The Avengers West Coast, The Secret Avengers, The Pacific Overlords, The Rangers (Initiative)
Avengers Grade: D-Level
PL 9 (170)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Electricity) 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Lightning), Improved Initiative, Teamwork

Powers:
Senses 2 (Detect Electricity- Ranged) [2]
"Lightning Strike" Blast 10 (20) -- [23]
  • AE: "Lightning Bolt" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (18)
  • AE: "Lightning Force Field" Protection 5 (Extras: Sustained +0) (5)
  • AE: Lightning Aura 4 (16)
"Lightning Body" Alternate Form (Activation -1) [-1]
Insubstantial 3 [15]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Flight 16 (125,000 mph) [32]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Lightning Strike +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Lightning Bolt +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Lightning Aura +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice- Both latino and homosexual, Miguel is occasionally brushed with negativity.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 103 / Defenses: 14 (170)

-Living Lightning is... kind of a forgettable character, really. He was added to the West Coast Avengers in the middle of their run, before and after most of the big storylines, and he just kind of floated around, doing not much of anything. His next big character moment was when he came out of the closet... to zero notability. I mean, really, it's not a big deal when it's a character THAT minor. His biggest recent accomplishment was being seen with The Rangers once he joined the Initiative. Starting out with the West Coast Avengers team is kind of a strike against him in the first place, and the name is just the clincher.

-Miguel here got his powers from your standard accidents- his father was a member of the extremist "Legion of the Living Lightning", and had been killed on a mission. Hoping to salvage his father's name, Miguel investigated the Legion, and accidentally turned on a machine that made him a being of living electricity. Yeah, they just had that lying around, I guess. He fought the Avengers West Coast in confusion and was thought dead, but was revived by Dr. Demonicus and joined his "Pacific Overlords"- quickly, he came to his senses and joined the AWC, becoming a new rookie member of the squad. I have several comics featuring him,a dn he's always nothing more than "a guy in the background" in one of Roy Thomas's later-career books. He was involved in the Kree/Shi'ar War, and soon got written out of the books- he went on the "Reserve" roster and went to college, where he disappeared.

-His Wikipedia page pretty much just states the Avengers' multiple big events & cross-overs as "things he's done". He caused a teeny bit of a ruckus when he "came out" in a GLA book by Dan Slott, which bugged some fans, as he'd dated women in the past, and Slott defended it with the usual "He's a wonderful gay role model" schtick, but really, who gives a crap if the LIVING LIGHTNING, one of the big guys people would forget to even list as having been Avengers in the first place, was gay? It came off as pointless pandering and a big overly-obvious.

-Miguel joined Captain America's side in Civil War, and later agreed to join the Initiative, becoming the odd man out on The Rangers. This went nowhere, and he mostly just appeared as a backgrounder in a few books- his biggest "thing" was being with the Rangers in the Scarlet Spider book. He later joined the FBI, and appeared randomly in the latter-era Avengers arc No Surrender as the "former member now getting some focus", aiding several Avengers squads in a Fetch Quest involving the Grandmaster and an old rival of his. Miguel ultimately saves the world by "Pulling a Hawkeye"- provoking the Grandmaster into a game of poker, and raising the stakes past the point where the Elder was willing to go- having all their accomplishments erased from the minds of those who knew them. This was largely similar to something Dan Slott had JUST WRITTEN in his Silver Surfer book (Norrin had wagered the Grandmaster "give up gaming"), so it didn't really stick with me, but hey- props for using a forgotten character who only had a three year run as an Avenger on a lesser book.

-Living Lightning's an expensive guy, despite being a PL 9 character with a generic Lightning-based offensive power-set. It's that Flight speed- he's sub-lightspeed in nature (despite being made of actual electricity), but it's still 32 points on making him one of the fastest fliers around. He's got a Blast, a Line Damage Bolt, an Aura and a protective Force Field, but they're all Alt-Effects, and thus much less efficient than the standard builds that usually include Protection, Auras & Blasts separately.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.