Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shaman! Wild Child! Box! Snowbird! Talisman! The Derangers!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote:I was considering doing a build on Janus (Dracula's son, while possesed by the Golden Angel, and not the more modern, vampire version, since that version would likely just be a modification of the vampire template), since you haven't yet, but I haven't read Tomb of Dracula, and have only seen the terrible anime that's sorta an adaptation, Dracula: Sovereign Of the Damned., and he seems pretty powerful while possessed by the Golden Angel. Wikis say he was almost as strong as Dracula, if not as strong as, and I tend to stay away from higher-power characters, since it's out of my comfort zone.
Yeah, I was wondering about him when I saw him on the "J" guys I hadn't statted yet. I assumed it was just this Janus character, so I did some research, and found FOUR Januses, just at Marvel! "J" will probably be the next letter of the "Marvel Alphabet" that I do, since it's only about six days' worth of posts. Thanks again go to Spectrum for giving me the monster list of names.
Jabroniville

Tentakill

Post by Jabroniville »

TENTAKILL (Lars A. Hanson)
Created By:
Rich Kowslowski & Andrea DiVito
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #1 (Nov. 2007)
Role: One-Off Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (78)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Tentacles) 2 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Killer Tentacles"
"Anime Heroine's Worst Nightmare" Snare 7 (21) -- [22]
  • AE: "Tentacle Stab" Blast 7 (14)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Tentacle Stab +7 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Tentacle Snare +7 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 10 (78)

-Tentakill is a one-shot villain who is shown fleeing the Superhuman Registration Act into Canada, hoping to avoid prosecution- he is tracked down by Omega Flight members Guardian & U.S. Agent, but escapes when Guardian's powers begin to act up. He never appears again. Why they couldn't have used one of Marvel's other THOUSANDS of Jobbers is beyond me, but hey- you create newbies when you can. This guy not POSSIBLY be more generic and plain, I was thinking he might get PL 8 because he does manage to elude two superheroes who should realistically vastly outpower a newbie... but c'mon, his only appearance features him running away.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Master of the World

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MASTER OF THE WORLD (Eshu)
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #2 (Sept. 1983)
Role: Would-Be World Conquering Villain
PL 12 (248)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (History) 8 (+16)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+16)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Technology 8 (+16)
Treatment 2 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Equipment 8 (Killer Base, Vehicles), Eidetic Memory, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"40,000 Years Old" Immunity 3 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst) [3]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
"Pressure Point Strike" Strength-Damage +4 [4]

"Master Uniform" (Flaws: Removable) [53]
Energy Blast 12 (24) -- (26)
  • AE: Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate) (24)
  • AE: "Electromagnetic Surges" Affliction 10 (Tech Skill of Creator; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Technology) (20)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Illusory Guise" Morph 3 (Various Forms) (15)
Force Field 4 (Extras: Impervious 9) (13)
-- (66 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Pressure Point Strike +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Energy Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8 (+12 Force Field, +5 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Gathering Power)

Total: Abilities: 130 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 62 / Defenses: 13 (246)

-The Master of the World is one of those failed Conqueror-type villains, though John Byrne (his creator) admits that he was kind of half-assing a lot of Alpha Flight. Pretty much every part of this guy just cries "lazy-ass"- he's got a boring appearance, mimicking so many other "Dark Lord"-style baddies- with the mechanical/medieval helmet combined with the flowing cape. His name is THE MASTER OF THE WORLD- like Byrne just couldn't come up with anything else on a moment's notice, so stuck with literally the first idea that popped into his head. He's wearing armor that basically swipes from every other wannabe Doctor Doom's list of abilities- Blasts, Flight, Force Field, etc. Like, Squadron Supreme pulled off a more exceptional "Generic Mastermind" design with friggin' Master Menace, and he was only in a handful of pages!

-The Master was a caveman who was enhanced by some aliens (The Plodex- Marrina's race) after centuries of experimentation, which drove him pretty insane. He of course decided to take over the world, but was confounded by Alpha Flight on a few occasions. He formed the second incarnation of Omega Flight for this purpose as well, but he killed most of them when they turned on him. He next fought The Heroes For Hire because K'un Lun was a danger to his plans. One two separate occasions, he seemingly committed suicide to avoid prison/defeat, but always returned.

-After this, Carol "Warbird" Danvers killed him during the big Kurt Busiek-written Kang storyline to use his weapons against Kang, which The Avengers were apparently cool with since they were at war and all, but he reappeared facing Alpha Flight during the Fear Itself part of Alpha Flight's update from Greg Pak & Dale Eaglesham, where he was behind the Unity campaign to get Canada taken over by an evil cult. Then he died, for the fourth time, after he openly bragged about using the Hudsons' daughter either as a successor, "or as a mate- I haven't decided yet"- this did NOT go over well with Heather, even though she was a Master loyalist. Since she was doing the whole thing JUST to get her daughter back, she turned on the Master then and there, and the two Hudsons blasted away at him. Even THIS didn't last more than a few years, as he would pop up in Captain Marvel, which used Alpha Flight as a space-travel-based assist group. He joined the Alpha Flight program as a mid-level bureaucrat and tried to wreck the whole thing and frame people, but he was defeated when the former villain Thundersword arrived to take back his weapon, which the Master was using.

-What I find most weird about this guy is that despite his obscurity, the M&M designers threw in an homage to him alongside all of the standard Supermen and Batmen of their world- Mastermind basically shares the guy's very name, origin and concept!

-The Master is your standard World Conqueror in some ways (he's a genius with a Powersuit and Blasts and stuff), but has noticeably enhanced agility and strength, allowing him to dodge attacks with ease, and has broken Sasquatch's arm bare-handed on one occasion. And he once one-punched Namor using his "knowledge of pressure points".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Deadly Ernest

Post by Jabroniville »

DEADLY ERNEST (Ernest St. Ives)
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #7 (Feb. 1984)
Role: Crimeboss
PL 11 (129)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+5)
Expertise (History) 4 (+7)
Insigth 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit 2 (Wealth), Improved Critical (Death Touch), Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Spurned Death" Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
"Death Touch" Weaken Stamina 14 [14]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Death Touch +8 (+14 Weaken, DC 24)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (Death Touch)- Ernest's Death Touch only works via his left hand.
Motivation (Greed)- Losing his fear of death made Ernest a very vicious individual.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 14 (129)

-Deadly Ernest is a good example of the weirdness of Byrne's Alpha Flight. When working on the Fantastic Four or Avengers books- a creator at least has the option of delving into their greatest villains, and has the urge to bring a creation or two to the limelight. When something like AF, Byrne, then the most popular creator in the biz, was at a loss, and had to just invent guys. Hence... Deadly Ernest. A big fat crimeboss that has a "Death Touch", he was a French soldier during World War I who was badly injured- Death came for him... but he rejected her. Angry, Death cursed Ernest to forever have a fatal touch. This of course was just fine if you wanted to become a crimelord or something, and so he did.

-Ernest came upon Alpha Flight when he killed Northstar's mentor, but was killed by the original Nemesis, a woman who was revealed to have been Ernest's own DAUGHTER, vengeful for Ernest killing her mother years ago. Ernest later returned (thanks to Lionel Jeffries reanimating his corpse with his "Life Control" powers), but was killed by Puck when Nemesis used the opportunity to resurrect herself as well.

-Ernest appeared to be a normal man in the early appearances (he was only in two issues before being killed), but in the second (in Alpha Flight #30, he was somehow strong enough to throw the first Box armor around, and fast enough that he tagged and killed Northstar & Aurora with his powers, too! It was only after his second death (Puck decapitated him, and the jabbering bodiless head was soon run over by an oncoming train) that their lifeforces were returned via the sword of Nemesis. While seemingly a goof, his touch was enough to kill even established superheroes instantly- you could even argue this was one of those "Always Works" powers that M&M doesn't really allow (though there was a "No Save" option in 2nd Edition)- the only way to really stat up an "Always Works" effect is to give it enough ranks that nobody could ever make the save. As he mostly touched Low-Fortitude Alphans, I figure 14 ranks is enough, making him a PL 11 guy with lower defenses. It's possible that his strength and speed are actually boosts he received from Scramble during his resurrection, and that his original stats were much lower. However, he's only made about four comic book appearances, so information is hard to find.
Jabroniville

Chinook

Post by Jabroniville »

CHINOOK (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Steven T. Seagle & Anthony Winn
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #1 (Flashback Month) (July 1997)
Role: Retcon Hero
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (105)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 3 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+6)
Insight 1 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Wind Powers"
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
"Retarded Aging" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

"Air Control" Move Object 5 (10) -- [11]
  • AE: "Wind" Features 2: Nullifies Arrows, Blows Out Flames, etc. (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Doing Good)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 10 (105)

-Chinook debuted during "Flashback Month" at Marvel, and is part of the first failed Alpha Flight reboot. He is an extremely old hero who'd served in both "Great Wars" (meaning he pre-dates just about every superhero), and retired in the 1940s, despite apparently not aging much between then and modern times. He ended up helping out a rookie "Weapon X" (Wolverine), but was transformed into a monster by a piece of technology. Growing larger and stronger, the wind-powered hero took on Weapon X, Weapon Alpha (Guardian) and Puck, and was thrown into another dimension. He would return ten years later trying to seek vengeance, and was killed by the animalistic, second Sasquatch. So, you know, an UPLIFTING tale!

-Chinook, of course, takes his name from the term for the warm winds that circle around cities like Calgary in the winter, making them much milder than other Canadian cities (like Edmonton or "Winterpeg"). These were in the news here semi-recently, as Leonardo DiCaprio felt them while filming Just Give Me a Fucking Oscar Already in central Alberta, and immediately blamed this "unnatural" occurence on the nearby Oil Sands, provoking a typical environmentalist outburst from the distinctly-not-scientifically-trained actor. It became quite the running gag among Albertans, most of whom are aware of the chinook winds that have been flowing through there for centuries.

-Chinook has a lot of vagueness to his backstory and abilities- apparently he could fly and was still young despite being at least a hundred years old. He could be almost literally anything, but he spends most of his story as a gigantic monster (probably PL 10-ish) with a much more powerful winds (probably Area Damage stuff).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shaman! Wild Child! Box! Snowbird! Talisman! The Derangers!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:That's bizarre- where'd you hear all that? My info gathering didn't turn up that stuff.
I had a casual friend who actually interned with Marvel ain the editorial
dept around that time. Told me there all sorts of arbitrary approvals and cancellations of the lower tier stuff.
(whoops, forgot to comment on this. I was away from home when I read it)

Wow, that is amazing stuff. I would love to hear some of the "fly on the wall" stuff he heard, and the personalities he encountered. And which low-tier books got bounced around like that.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Snowbird! Talisman! Derangers! The Master of the World! Deadly Ernest!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ugh- because OF COURSE PBS would air the latest episode of Sherlock too early, thus spoiling the ending for me the second I went to the beginning of my recording. THANKS, PBS!!!
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Snowbird! Talisman! Derangers! The Master of the World! Deadly Ernest!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote:Ugh- because OF COURSE PBS would air the latest episode of Sherlock too early, thus spoiling the ending for me the second I went to the beginning of my recording. THANKS, PBS!!!
You do realize that "The Adventure of the Dying Detective" was published in 1913, yeah? I think the need for spoiler warnings lapsed during the Coolidge administration.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

MotW was one of my favorite characters from the old Handbooks. Looking back though, I wonder how much Vandall Savage had an influence- cave man changed by strange energies with dreams of being well.. master of the world.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:Ugh- because OF COURSE PBS would air the latest episode of Sherlock too early, thus spoiling the ending for me the second I went to the beginning of my recording. THANKS, PBS!!!
You do realize that "The Adventure of the Dying Detective" was published in 1913, yeah? I think the need for spoiler warnings lapsed during the Coolidge administration.
Not just the reveal (even if I'd known about that story, it would've been annoying- I mean, they could've subverted it), but the bit with the gun. It was the exact last ten seconds of a 1.5 hour show. I even left social media in order to not have it spoiled.
Jabroniville

Great Beasts

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GREAT BEASTS:
ImageImage

-oh shit- Great BEASTS! Boy am *I* embarrassed.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Best build topic ever.
Ten out of ten.
Jabroniville

The Great Beasts

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GREAT BEASTS:
-The Great Beasts are a group of Alpha Flight baddies that are naturally trying to take over the Earth- they're basically a collection of neat-looking John Byrne designs with little personality other than "CONQUER/CRUSH/DESTROY!", and were basically the summation of Byrne's run on the series- where he tried to more or less make something out of a bunch of random character designs and give them something to do. It turns out that one of Alpha Flight's own- Sasquatch- is actually a guy in possession of the BODY of one of The Great Beasts, and that Snowbird is meant to be able to stop them. Conquering Elder Gods is always an interesting thing in Marvel Comics, as there are basically HUNDREDS of beings JUST LIKE THIS, which begs the question as to why there's so many, and how unstoppable they truly are- I mean, it's pretty hard to believe that Thor & The Asgardian Pantheon couldn't properly defend the Earth from these guys- they do that crap ALL THE TIME. Odin can fight friggin' Galactus for a while, but Tundra and Kariooq are a bridge too far? But needless to say, they'd probably demolish a good bit of land before being stopped, so it's probably a good thing that these guys are kept behind a barrier in The Realm of the Beasts.

THE GREAT BEASTS
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #23 (June 1985)
Role: Evil Gods, Would-Be World-Conquerors
PL 12 (158)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA 15 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (God) 7 (+11)
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+13)
Intimidation 4 (+6, +12 Size)
Perception 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Improved Critical (Godly Attack or Unarmed), Power Attack, Startle

Powers: 
"Godly Size" Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Impervious Toughness 15 [15]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +15 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +8

Complications: 
Motivation (Power & Destruction)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 62 / Defenses: 23 (158)

-Quite the powerful Template, the Great Beasts are essentially PL 12 Giants with ludicrous Toughness scores and knowledge of Myth & Magic.

KARIOOQ, THE CORRUPTOR- PL 12 (207): Transform 12 (Anything to Corrupted Things) (Extras: Continuous), AE: Weaken Stamina 12 [49]
-Kariooq "Corrupts Matter" (whatever that means- he's just there in the backgrounds- he probably either makes stuff into evil stuff or weakens people), but is vulnerable to ice. His worst nemesis: Queen Elsa of Arendelle. Also what the Hell kind of Canadian supervillain is vulnerable TO FREAKING ICE??? That's like a Floridian villain being vulnerable to old people or a douchebag being vulnerable to Axe Body Spray!

TOLOMAQ, THE FIRE BEAST- PL 12 (263): Insubstantial 3 (Fire Energy), Flame Aura 12, Fire Blast 15 (Accurate 4, Penetrating 6), AE: Cone Damage 12, AE: Line Damage 12 [105]
-Tolomaq is a big fire creature.
KOLOMAQ, THE BEAST OF THE SNOWS- PL 12 (239): "Blinding Snowstorm" Environment 10 (Cold 2, Visibility 2), Icicle Blast 12 (Accurate 4) (Multiattack), AE: "Landslide" Earth Control 15 [81]
-Kolomaq is the mortal nemesis of Tundra (another Beast), and was tricked into sealing himself in the Earth by Snowbird (the battle took place over three pure-white pages with dialogue balloons being the only visible thing- Byrne noted that it was called an "artistic decision" and he got paid in full of the three blank pages). He seems unaffiliated with the others, returning separately and being sent back by Talisman. He is the most-savage of the Great Beasts.

RANAQ, THE GREAT DEVOURER- PL 12 (198): "Floating" Flight 2 (8 mph), "Possession" Mind Control 6 (Extras: Possesses Body, Continuous) [40]
-Ranaq is summoned in a storyline based in the past, and has to possess people to inhabit the material world (and would be defeated if they were slain), making him "the weakest of the Great Beasts", according to Shaman. He is killed by a "Magic Bullet" created by a talisman, but is released when the grave of the man he'd possessed is disturbed 100 years later.

SOMON, THE ARTIFICER
Created By:
John Byrne
Role: Evil God, Would-Be World-Conqueror
PL 12 (183)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (History) 5 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+15)
Expertise (God) 8 (+13)
Insight 2 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Artificer (well, it's there in his name), Equipment (Staff), Ranged Attack 2, Ritualist, Startle

Powers: 
"Astral Projection" Remote Sensing 10 (Visuals & Hearing) [30]
Shapeshifting 2 [16]
Illusion (Visuals & Hearing) 12 (36) -- [37]
  • AE: "Astral Fingernails" Damage 10 (Extras: Perception Ranged +2) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Staff +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Astral Fingernails -- (+10 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Illusion -- (+12 Illusion, DC 22)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications: 

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 83 / Defenses: 13 (183)

-Somon the Artificer is the master of The Great Beasts, and their most dangerous member, despite being relatively frail himself (Snowbird delivered him a mortal wound, for instance). He can kill people while on the Astral Plane, one of the nastier tricks involving a Perception-Ranged Attack.

TUNDRA
Created By:
John Byrne
Role: Evil Gods, Would-Be World-Conquerors
PL 13 (158)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA -- AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (God) 7 (+11)
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+13)
Intimidation 4 (+6, +12 Size)
Perception 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Improved Critical (Unarmed, Boulders) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers: 
"Godly Size" Growth 18 (Str & Toughness +18, +18 Mass, +9 Intimidation, -9 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -18 Stealth) -- (144 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [37]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 9) [11]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [11]

"Earthquake" Affliction 13 (Athletics; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Vulnerable) (Extras: Area- 1,000ft Burst +6, Extra Condition, Reaction +3 on 6 Ranks) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4, Reaction +3 on 4 Ranks) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) (136) -- [137]
  • AE: "Earth Control" Move Object 18 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Earth) (36)
  • AE: "Giant Boulders" Blast 12 (Feats: Extended Range 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (38)
  • AE: "Throw Boulders" Blast 15 (Feats: Accurate, Extended Range 2) (32)
Summon Insect Swarms 2 (Extras: 16 Minions +8, Active) [22]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+18 Damage, DC 29)
Earthquake +13 Area (+13 Affliction & +7 Damage, DC 23 & 22)
Giant Boulders +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Throw Boulders +6 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +20 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +8

Complications: 

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 238 / Defenses: 26 (274)

-Most iconic of The Great Beasts is Tundra, a gigantic walking landmass that makes the most out of an early-80s' John Byrne's capabilities at harsh, dramatic shading (part of what makes his X-Men run so much fun to look at). He's basically this big white monster with shading everywhere but his outer edges, making him quite the eye-popping design. He's really no different from the other Beasts in personality- he's a big Destroyer of Things- but he's a LOT bigger and quite a bit more dangerous. Most-lethal is the fact that he can set off massive tremors ANY TIME HE IS INJURED, and more powerful ones as a regular attack.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
scc

Post by scc »

I always liked Tundra of the Great Beasts. I really don't know much about him however. Once I seen him in the Marvel Handbooks and the Marvel FASERIP RPG as a kid I just liked him. He definitely has a cool look. Looking at a lot of the Alpha Flight villains it seems like Alpha Flight is the Doom Patrol of Marvel as far as weird villains go.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I just figure that a lot of these "Unstoppable" "World Conquerors" are basically engaging in a good deal of puffery. Someone like Galactus or the Dark Phoenix is a legit, bonafide world-ender... Someone like Kang is a legit contender for possible world-conquering.

The Great Beasts? The Master of the World? Magneto? Red Skull?

Sorry. I don't see them ever actually conquering the whole world. But, then again, Alexander the Great ruled an empire that "merely" stretched from the Alps to the Hindu-Kush; Genghis Khan and his successors ruled an empire that "merely" stretched from the Yellow Sea to the Black Sea; Queen Victoria ruled an empire that spanned the globe, but covered a "mere" 25% of its total landmass.

All of which is to say that a threat like the Great Beasts could rhetorically claim to be "world conquerors" but never quite rise to the level of threat where someone like the Asgardians feel the need to get involved, en masse. Thor or adventurers like the Warriors Three might see them as a worthy opponent for righteous butt-kicking, but Odin might not think it worth sending his armies off to war.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.