Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Pink Pearl

Post by Jabroniville »

What a cruel, cruel aversion to "All Byrne Women Look The Same".

PINK PEARL (Pearl Gross)
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #22 (May 1985)
Role: E-League Villain, Fat Lady
Group Affiliations: Cloists (strip club)
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Business) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Circus Fat Lady) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Fatty-Fatty Boombalatty"
"Power Punch" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Cushiony Flab" Protection 2 [2]
"Too Heavy To Move" Features 2: Increased Mass 2 [2]
"Bouncy Body" Leaping 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Prejudice (Morbidly Obese)- Being a titanically fat lady, Pearl is likely prone to a large degree of prejudice in real life.
Responsibility ("Cloisters" Male Strip Club)
Relationship (Goldar)- They're married.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 10 (101)

-I swear I'm not making this character up. A one-off in Alpha Flight, she was a circus "Fat Lady" who took over her troupe and turned it into a terrorist front (man, if I was a civilian in the Marvel Universe, I would NEVER go to the circus. First off, it's a world with tons of super-heroes in it, so who cares about the trapeze? Second, every goddamn troop out there is a front for master criminals. Okay, the Circus of Crime and these assholes. So weak criminals. Whatever.

-A cruel, cruel aversion to "All Byrne's Women Look The Same", Pearl draws gasps when she appears, threatens a semi-rookie Northstar & Aurora, and is eventually beaten when one of them throws a knife at her- the shock of the stabbing actually causes her to pass out, though her tremendous body-fat protects her from death. Byrne can live with the shame of inventing a fat woman in a one-piece as an authentic comic book character, but at least for once it was FEMALE-on-female violence taking place in his book. She actually popped up as a random background character in the Superia Stratagem alongside the other female powerhouses of Marvel, though it's always been unclear just HOW strong she is. She fights using an oddly athletic, hopping-based fighting style, that utilizes her body fat to "bounce" higher than someone her size ever should be able to.

-About eighty issues later (!!- that's about seven years!), she appeared as the owner of an all-male strip club, and then spent DECADES on the shelf, only appearing in the background of one comic, and then again for a one-off joke panel where she's sitting on the Beast, who for some reason can't get out from underneath (she's fat alright, but he's around the Spider-Man class of powerhouses- a fat lady shouldn't take that much effort).

-Of course, I mostly remember Pearl for the outstanding reaction she drew from our very own Goldar, who thanked me (three times, no less) for one of his "favorite characters", before insisting that he was not a "chubby-chaser". He then went into a long description of her appearances in the books, her fighting style, Power Feats and more, and argued for a higher Power Level, since she defeated the Flight Twins in her debut. It was at times amusing and alarming that somebody would like an obvious Joke Character so much, but then, I'm guilty of "Red Guardian Syndrome" for minor characters all the time, so I can relate :). And this has made Pink Pearl 100 times the legend on the various "ATT/Ronin Army/Echoes" sites than she ever would have been otherwise, so I can actually THANK Goldar for the attention he's brought to this weird lady :).

-And for the record? I likes me some curvy ladies, rare as they are in Hollywood. Caroline Rhea is a HELL YES for me. I liked Chubby Atomic Eve, even more than Regular Comics-Physique Eve. One of my favorite ladies in adult films goes by the name of "Samantha 38G", and is certainly in the "BBW" class. But Pearl? NOPE- that's a few dozen dress sizes too big. I gots my limits!

-Surprisingly a PL 7.5-8 (8 Parry, 7 Dodge, 7.5 unarmed), Pink Pearl is very strong and quite fast for her size, and can definitely take a punch (a thrown knife hit her in the chest, but didn't kill her thanks to her fat). While her credibility is a bit lacking, she can absorb at least some damage (Diamond Lil & Heather Hudson combined knocked her through glass, but didn't knock her out), and hold someone down, allowing a more powerful character to end things. She's basically Kingpin Lite (well, as light as someone who's a seven-foot-something obese woman CAN be, anyways), lacking his sheer presence and cred in fistfights.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Master of the World! Deadly Ernest! The Great Beasts! Ranark!)

Post by M4C8 »

KorokoMystia wrote:Since you brought up Arcade's goons, would the stuff Arcade did in Avengers Arena just be a Variable power limited to only working in Murderworld? That's what it seems like to me, judging by the descriptions I've read.

Also, speaking of He-Man bootlegs..that makes me want to stat up the most famous of their bootlegs...Galaxy Warriors!
Why do they all have rickets?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Arcaene

Re: Great Beasts

Post by Arcaene »

Jabroniville wrote:THE GREAT BEASTS:

-oh shit- Great BEASTS! Boy am *I* embarrassed.
Salma Hayek. Recipient of two Golden Globes.
And I hear she received some awards for acting, too. :lol:
The Dude abides, man...
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Master of the World! Deadly Ernest! The Great Beasts! Ranark!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

KorokoMystia wrote:Since you brought up Arcade's goons, would the stuff Arcade did in Avengers Arena just be a Variable power limited to only working in Murderworld? That's what it seems like to me, judging by the descriptions I've read.

Also, speaking of He-Man bootlegs..that makes me want to stat up the most famous of their bootlegs...Galaxy Warriors!

ha....still have Sahak and Baltard somewhere around here
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

M4C8 wrote:

Why do they all have rickets?

Burns' Sunblocker
HalloweenJack

Re: Pink Pearl

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote:Image

PINK PEARL (Pearl Gross)
Created By:
John Byrne
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 3 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Prejudice (Morbidly Obese)- Being a titanically fat lady, Pearl is likely prone to a large degree of prejudice in real life.
Responsibility ("Cloisters" Male Strip Club)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 10 (101)

-I swear I'm not making this character up. A one-off in Alpha Flight, she was a circus "Fat Lady" who took over her troupe and turned it into a terrorist front (man, if I was a civilian in the Marvel Universe, I would NEVER go to the circus. First off, it's a world with tons of super-heroes in it, so who cares about the trapeze? Second, every goddamn troop out there is a front for master criminals. Okay, the Circus of Crime and these assholes. So weak criminals. Whatever.

-A cruel, cruel aversion to "All Byrne's Women Look The Same", Pearl draws gasps when she appears, threatens a semi-rookie Northstar & Aurora, and is eventually beaten when one of them throws a knife at her- the shock of the stabbing actually causes her to pass out, though her tremendous body-fat protects her from death. Byrne can live with the shame of inventing a fat woman in a one-piece as an authentic comic book character, but at least for once it was FEMALE-on-female violence taking place in his book. She actually popped up as a random background character in the Superia Stratagem alongside the other female powerhouses of Marvel, though it's always been unclear just HOW strong she is. She fights using an oddly athletic, hopping-based fighting style, that utilizes her body fat to "bounce" higher than someone her size ever should be able to.

-About eighty issues later (!!- that's about seven years!), she appeared as the owner of an all-male strip club, and then spent DECADES on the shelf, only appearing in the background of one comic, and then again for a one-off joke panel where she's sitting on the Beast, who for some reason can't get out from underneath (she's fat alright, but he's around the Spider-Man class of powerhouses- a fat lady shouldn't take that much effort).

-Of course, I mostly remember Pearl for the outstanding reaction she drew from our very own Goldar, who thanked me (three times, no less) for one of his "favorite characters", before insisting that he was not a "chubby-chaser". He then went into a long description of her appearances in the books, her fighting style, Power Feats and more, and argued for a higher Power Level, since she defeated the Flight Twins in her debut. It was at times amusing and alarming that somebody would like an obvious Joke Character so much, but then, I'm guilty of "Red Guardian Syndrome" for minor characters all the time, so I can relate :). And this has made Pink Pearl 100 times the legend on the various "ATT/Ronin Army/Echoes" sites than she ever would have been otherwise, so I can actually THANK Goldar for the attention he's brought to this weird lady :).

-And for the record? I likes me some curvy ladies, rare as they are in Hollywood. Caroline Rhea is a HELL YES for me. I liked Chubby Atomic Eve, even more than Regular Comics-Physique Eve. One of my favorite ladies in adult films goes by the name of "Samantha 38G", and is certainly in the "BBW" class. But Pearl? NOPE- that's a few dozen dress sizes too big. I gots my limits!

-Surprisingly a PL 7.5-8 (8 Parry, 7 Dodge, 7.5 unarmed), Pink Pearl is very strong and quite fast for her size, and can definitely take a punch (a thrown knife hit her in the chest, but didn't kill her thanks to her fat). While her credibility is a bit lacking, she can absorb at least some damage (Diamond Lil & Heather Hudson combined knocked her through glass, but didn't knock her out), and hold someone down, allowing a more powerful character to end things. She's basically Kingpin Lite (well, as light as someone who's a seven-foot-something obese woman CAN be, anyways), lacking his sheer presence and cred in fistfights.

its insane how similar we are at times. loves me some Samantha 38G.
bsdigitalq

Re: Great Beasts

Post by bsdigitalq »

Arcaene wrote:Salma Hayek. Recipient of two Golden Globes.
And I hear she received some awards for acting, too. :lol:
lol, reminds me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV7-T_oY8CU
Goldar

Re: Pink Pearl

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote:Image

PINK PEARL (Pearl Gross)
Created By:
John Byrne
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 3 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:

Powers:

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

-I swear I'm not making this character up.

LMFAO!!!

What a great New Year's present. And I get honorable mention as well!

I didn't mean to "argue" with you regarding a higher power level, as that is not my nature... but I can be persuasive, especially when I know a character well... :P

At first, when Pearly appeared (yeah, I can call her that since we are apparently married :lol: ), she was not a joke character, but a one-up villain. Her sheer height and weight (at least 7 ft 2", perhaps even 7'4" with her bun, and don't forget, she is in flats) and strength took me by surprise. I like her 3rd-person speech, since I could imagine someone like her talking like that. She thinks of herself as nice and sweet and dainty.

As you mention, she did appear later with other very strong women. While her exact strength limits are unknown, Pearl has held adults off the ground at arm's length, usually by their necks for a period of time without showing any effort. And at Pearl's height, that is even more impressive. They do call that "Big Girl Strength", strength belying her size and shape, but Pink Pearl has it.

My own personal preference is more like Melissa Benoist of Supergirl TV fame. 8-)

This is such a timely post! Just the other day at the gym, I saw a young Pearl of about 15 who was 5'10", built like Pearl, very strong, wearing that medium pink color stretchy top with arms free (just like Pearl's dresses). Her face looked like Pearl's, she had blonde hair, and it was up in a bun on the back of her head! If I had my phone on me, I would have taken a pic. This was a young Pearl in the flesh! (While she didn't have on her pearl necklace, I take it that they were home with her dress and flats.)

Don't forget, everyone has their likes and faves. One person's Red Guardian is another's Captain America. There are certainly characters I can't stand, but I don't state it because it could be someone's beloved favorite. Can I help it I have a soft-spot (no pun intended) for Pearl? LoL.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Master! The Great Beasts! Ranark! Omega Flight! Pink Pearl!)

Post by Batgirl III »

We need to get Pink Pearl, Miss Mass, Big Bertha, the Blob, and the Kingpin into the same super-team.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
bsdigitalq

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Master! The Great Beasts! Ranark! Omega Flight! Pink Pearl!)

Post by bsdigitalq »

Batgirl III wrote:We need to get Pink Pearl, Miss Mass, Big Bertha, the Blob, and the Kingpin into the same super-team.
Don't forget the Slug!
Shock

Post by Shock »

bsdigitalq wrote:
Batgirl III wrote:We need to get Pink Pearl, Miss Mass, Big Bertha, the Blob, and the Kingpin into the same super-team.
Don't forget the Slug!
Can Weird Al from the "Eat It" video make a cameo?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shock wrote:
bsdigitalq wrote:
Don't forget the Slug!
Can Weird Al from the "Eat It" video make a cameo?
Yes! But only in the same crossover issue where they meet Bouncing Boy.

The splash panel in each issue will weigh three pounds.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Chess Set

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CHESS SET:
-This group of forgettable bad guys led by the Brass Bishop, who wants to sell the corpses of the deceased mutants Auric & Silver to the highest bidder, believing that this will grant them super-powers. A bunch of crooks were bidding, but the bodies of the empowered heroes merged together and created a super-being that nearly killed all of the Chess Set, until Guardian convinced it to let them live, and then disperse.

CHESS SET AGENT
Created By:
Simon Furman & Craig Brasfield
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #121 (June 1993)
Role: Jobber Villains
Group Affiliations: The Chess Set
PL 6 (49)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (49)

-Pretty much bottom-tier Mooks, aside from their super-powered Gimmicks (which are unexplained and one-note).

Chess Set Members:
DARK TOWER- PL 7 (71): Darkforce Snare 7, Blast 7 [22]
-A tall black guy who never speaks.

KILLER QUEEN- PL 7 (58): "Death Dust" Weaken Stamina 7 (Easily Removable), Expertise (Dancing) 8 (+8) [9]
-A nudist covered in tiny black tendrils who is constantly seen dancing- she seems to pretty much be the artist's rendition of Dansen Macabre. Her "Death Dust" misses its mark, and so we never see what it actually is- I'm just guessing here.

KING COAL- PL 7 (54): "Hands Into Blades" Strength-Damage +4, Features: May Regrow Limbs [5]
-King Coal's hands turn into blades of various lengths- he has one chopped off by Nemesis II, but it regrows after a time.

OVERKNIGHT- PL 7 (58): Equipment 1 (Armor +2, Shield +2 Defenses), "Lance" Blast 7 (Easily Removable), Dodge +7 [9]
-Seemingly the battlefield leader, dressing like a medieval knight.

BRASS BISHOP I- PL 8 (86): INT 2, AWA 3, PRE 3, FIGHTING 8, Danger Sense, Teleport 8 [37]
-The leader of the group, he can Teleport and seems to be able to predict the moves of others. Curiously, a second Brass Bishop shows up in the late '90s Alpha Flight series, challenging Puck and having those classic "Mysterious Magical Powers".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Talk about deep cuts! I don't know these jobbers either! Two sets of crummy, lame, poor rendered Marvel villain teams I never saw, BOTH from later day Alpha Flight titles!? Man, that title was a like a black-hole of never to be seen again obscurities.

All my best.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Did Dork Tow...ahem...Dark Tower exhibit any abilities or was he just "guy in crappy costume #4"?

EDIT> Nevermind, his entry was just so short I missed it the first time around. :roll:

Geez, you can tell the writer or artist or both were really not invested in this book. I mean Byrne may have been half-assing it, but his creations were still head and shoulders above these guys.