Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Janne! Geegus! Neo-Dio! Image- WildC.A.T.s!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Gamebook wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:29 pm I'm a longstanding fan of the era and have read a lot of the work mentioned here, and done builds for them. For all its many, many flaws the comics at least had energy and action. The biggest sin of any work in my opinion is being dull. I know the dialogue is often excruciating, but I often cope with that in comics by simply not reading it. I just look at the art, you can get the gist of what is going on and you're not missing much by not closely following the plot. It's something few comics writers have ever grasped, don't talk during action scenes! These Image comics were definitely some of the worst offenders of all time in that regard with some infamous examples.
You mean I COULD HAVE BEEN COPYING YOUR WORK THIS ENTIRE TIME??!?

No, no, I am calm. All that research was worthwhile and the guesswork a learning experience, lol. Now I'll have to cross-reference my builds to yours to see if I missed anything :).
Jabroniville

Jim Lee

Post by Jabroniville »

IMAGE CREATORS- JIM LEE:
-Jim Lee is probably the most famous and prominent of the Image creators after possibly Todd McFarlane, and is more powerful in comics as a whole- it's been an interesting ride, as he went from "That guy who replaced Marc Silvestri on the X-Men because he had a similar style" to "the Publisher of f*ckin' DC Comics", but there you have it. Lee was just a rookie at the time he took over X-Men, but in typical X-fashion, he became an instant superstar- his stuff was drawn a lot more tightly than Marc's, and his women more voluptuous- the drawings he did of Psylocke cannot be overstated in their importance to a Young Jab's puberty, for example.

Lee notably co-created the character of Gambit, thus popularizing the "Badass Longcoat" as a part of 1990s superhero fashion, and redesigned Psylocke into a scowling, Asian sex-goddess in a recolor of Elektra's outfit (seriously, how did this pass people by?). He ALSO popularized the weird "Jim Lee Hair-Showing Mask" with Cyclops, Gambit, the Acolytes and others all sporting these inexplicable masks that often left faces, hair and/or ears exposed. I chalk this up to comics slowly moving away from "masked character" designs, artists like Lee wanting to maximize the characters' expressions, and wanting to keep just enough "superhero" elements for a costume to count, so he threw in spandex in these goofy-ass places just to be able to say it was a superhero. But seriously, he uses them a LOT- even in Image you'll see it.

Jim, in any case, was the least committed of the Image guys in many ways- he was the hardest one to convince to quit Marvel, and the one who was the least loyal to the "Image Brand"... in that he up and left it eventually. Marvel: The Untold Story details how Jim was on the fence about quitting- he disliked some of how he was being treated, but had a wife and a kid on the way and stuff... but then Marvel started dicking him around. The last straw apparently being them forcing him to pay his own wife's airfare to a Marvel gig. "You don't treat a man like Jim Lee that way" was someone's quote. And so he bailed for Image with the other guys- as the most popular artist in the industry, he gave them a HUGE shot of credibility.

Jim's style was equal parts dated to the '90s and incredibly popular even today. He used thin ink-lines and TONS of cross-hatching, but not willy-nilly like Rob Liefeld's. He was hilariously limited in depth- his men all had the same body mold, as did his women; and he repeated certain visual elements like "Hair-Showing Mask" again and again- but this didn't really matter. If you wanted a character to look epic, you got Jim Lee. His Magneto remains the most iconic, proud and regal he's ever looked. His Doctor Doom was awesome. While I criticize and mock most of his Image stuff as derivative and lame, his characters DO hold up in terms of being distinctive from each other, and there's something to be said for WildC.A.T.s being the only Image team book that still has characters kicking around today. His art is very polished and detailed, yet retains a bit of a soulless kick- he's not any good at fight scenes really, and more good at "Pre-Fight Posing" instead. Yet when he drew Batman years later he was STILL a sensation. It doesn't matter what- people love Jim Lee's art.

Jim annoyed the other Image guys by doing Marvel work with Heroes Reborn along with Rob Liefeld, but that was just the start of his "meh, I don't care about this whole REBEL AGAINST THE BIG BOYS thing"- the dude straight-up left Image and brought his entire group and character catalogue to DC itself! And then he joined the corporate elites! And now he's the only Publisher of the company now that Dan DiDio is gone! This kind of goes right to the heart of Image- it wasn't just "Marvel owns us little guys"; it was "WE want to be the guys who own the little guys!". And I mean... he made his money. Fair enough.
Jabroniville

Lord Emp

Post by Jabroniville »

LORD EMP (aka Jacob Marlowe)
Created By:
Brandon Choi & Jim Lee
First Appearance: WildC.A.T.s #1 (Aug. 1992)
Role: Angry Dwarf
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None (kinda/sorta like Pip the Troll I guess? A dwarf asshole?)
'90s Ratio: 3/10 (sometimes has a gun, and he wears no costume)
Group Affiliations: WildC.A.T.s
PL 10 (139)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Business) 8 (+13)
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit 5 (Wealth), Equipment 5 (Guns), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Kherubim Physiology"
Immunity 4 (Aging, Disease, Poison, Radiation) [4]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]
"Inconsistent Energy Blasts" Blast 12 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Guns +8 (+6-8 Ranged Damage, DC 21-23)
Energy Blasts +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Enemy (The Daemonites)- Emp's Kherubim have been fighting the Daemonite infiltration of Earth for centuries.
Responsibility (Hidden Power)- Emp supposedly has vast stores of power, but cannot typically access them.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 11 (139)

-Lord Emp is actually the main character of sorts in WildC.A.T.s, which is funny because he doesn't come off as likable- just kind of brusque, rude and a bit like the "clever asshole" characters that pop up here and there. He was a homeless bum who knew nothing of his past, but was awakened and helped by Void to becoming "Lord Emp"- it turns out he was one of the Kherubim trapped on Earth centuries ago. He founds the WildC.A.T.s team to fight Daemonite infiltration of Earth. We would learn a lot more about his backstory- he was apparently Napoleon himself, he slew his brother and sister-in-law when they were possessed by Daemonites and was torn up about it, and after failing a mission and being afflicted with amnesia by Helspont, he was an amnesiac hobo for thirty years.

-Years later, he'd become disillusioned with his team after discovering that his sect of Kherubim had become corrupt on his homeworld, and he restarted the Wildcats (now renamed a bit). Finally, he asked Spartan to kill him- this allowed him to ascend to the "High Lord" form of Kherubim. He thus became one with the universe.

-Lord Emp apparently has vast stores of powers that he's forgotten about and/or rarely uses. Translation: Inconsistent Writing. But he's overall quite strong and durable, and is PL 10 with his Uncontrolled Blast; PL 8 otherwise.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

oh Image.

I remember this being a huge deal back in fifth or sixth grade, everybody going on about how cool and violent Image was and how little clothes the women wore, etc. So much that Marvel especially began to copy it with the shitty costume era.

everybody was all about Image in 7th grade or so. That was the height of it, with the Wildcats cartoon coming out. I remember everybody gushing over like Brigade or some shit like that, while I sat there with my Zero Hour issues wondering what the big deal was.

I tried Spawn and I didn't really care for it. Savage Dragon was okay. The Wildstorm stuff seemed the best but I was never huge into it...(except for The Authority...OOOH...fightin' words).

I'm glad Image really kinda became a Neo-Dark Horse after a while. The shared universe thing was interesting, but frustrating.

That said, I wanna see these builds. I want to see something new here.

And the bitching....ohhhh I need some popcorn for the bitching.
Davies

Re: Lord Emp

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:17 pm Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None (kinda/sorta like Pip the Troll I guess? A dwarf asshole?)
Tom Thumb of the Squadron Supreme.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Puck? I mean he's closer to the X-Men
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I approve of the "Marvel Character Most Ripped Off" and "'90s Ratio" categories. This guy..probably has one of the lowest ratings we'll see there.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:01 am I approve of the "Marvel Character Most Ripped Off" and "'90s Ratio" categories. This guy..probably has one of the lowest ratings we'll see there.
Yeah, I forgot I was debuting those categories with him :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:33 am Puck? I mean he's closer to the X-Men
Oooh, that is better.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:31 pm oh Image.

I remember this being a huge deal back in fifth or sixth grade, everybody going on about how cool and violent Image was and how little clothes the women wore, etc. So much that Marvel especially began to copy it with the shitty costume era.
The X-Men-loving fanboys I knew who were soooooooooo mature with their bad attitudes and their swearing were way into Cyberforce and stuff. They absolutely bought into how bad-ass these guys were.
I tried Spawn and I didn't really care for it. Savage Dragon was okay. The Wildstorm stuff seemed the best but I was never huge into it...(except for The Authority...OOOH...fightin' words).
DEMON!!! You just wait... in two months, I'll get to those characters, and THEN you'll see. The Discord has been weeping over that book's existence for a month :).
I'm glad Image really kinda became a Neo-Dark Horse after a while. The shared universe thing was interesting, but frustrating.
It's kind of funny how like, EVERY second or third issue featured a massive tie-in with another Image book- Rob Liefeld's were incestuous, doing multi-issue crossovers IMMEDIATELY- but then you read on and nearly everyone split off their books into separate universes. This is probably a nightmare for republishing rights for TPBs and such.
That said, I wanna see these builds. I want to see something new here.
I frequently go back and forth over New vs. Re-Posts. Re-posts are actually a hell of a lot of work, involving researching everything AGAIN, often re-doing all the commentary, and I think it's even more important now to transfer everything to Echoes, owing to the dissolution of the ATT & RA boards.

But at the same point, JUST re-posting things will get dull. I plan on doing a "Captain America" set right after this, and nothing's really new to it. Jobbers and dead guys especially don't need much new information to be written down. Which brings up questions of "how fast do I post these?". Do I just spam out the losers to get them out there? Or create a bit of focus on certain guys?
Jabroniville

Spartan

Post by Jabroniville »

It's hilarious how closely he follows the "Cyclops Motif" without completely copying him.

SPARTAN (Hadrian, Android copied from Yon Kohl, aka "John Colt")
Created By:
Brandon Choi & Jim Lee
Role: Stoic Leader Guy, Blaster
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Cyclops (stoic, serious Blaster guy with the same haircut, physique & purpose on the team)
'90s Ratio: 8/10 (Blaster; takes a ton of damage and survives; has bandoliers; name sounds cool but means nothing as to his character)
Group Affiliations: The Kherubim, WildC.A.T.s
PL 10 (200)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (History) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 7 (+10)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blasts) 2, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage for 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Android of Yon Kohl"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
"Psychic Immunity" Immunity 10 (Mental Effects) [10]
"Backup Bodies & Immediate Download" Immortality 10 [20]

"Bio-Blasts" Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (29) -- [30]
  • AE: "Plasma Shield" Force Field 3 (Extras: Impervious 9) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Bio-Blasts +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +8 (+11 Plasma Shield), Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Responsiblity (Emotionless Robot)- Spartan is an android, and typically does not react emotionally, at least at first.
Relationship (Voodoo)- Spartan and Voodoo eventually fall for each other, allowing him to open up emotionally.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 8 (200)

-Spartan was pretty clearly the "Cyclops" of the WildC.A.T.s team when they first debuted- as most of the members could be traced either visually or character-wise to the X-Men, it made sense we'd have a "Cyclops"- a stoic, stable guy. Spartan even had the "hair-showing mask" with a very similar (though more flowing) haircut and a large bandolier around his torso, meaning his silhouette had barely changed! He was also the team's resident Blaster, though at least he could fly.

-So eventually we got more backstory for the guy- Yon Kohl was a Kherubim warrior who had crash-landed on earth, and became a "Captain America" sort renamed "John Cole", living agelessly, fighting Daemonites all the while. He was an iconic American soldier and hero, and sacrificed his life on a mission. Thankfully, Lord Emp had copied John's personality so that it could be attached to a "Spartan Android" later- in the 1990s, this android was activated, leading the team Emp had formed. However, despite having Kohl's personality, he was an "emotiontless, reserved robot"... okay, the online bio says this, but in WildC.A.T.s #1 he's clearly shown smiling, arguing impatiently with his teammates, and more. He was, more or less, a Personailty Clone of Cyclops- stoic but not a robo... well, he WAS a robot, but he acted like a Serious Leader Guy. In any case, Spartan eventually opened up, forming a relationship with his teammate, Voodoo.

-Eventually, however, the character was killed after joining Stormwatch following the seeming deaths of his original teammates- they turned up alive, but he was gone. Emp rebuilt him using a back-up disc and Kherubim science to make him even stronger. Later, he was taken over by the mind of the real John Cole. Finally, he followed Lord Emp's wishes and killed him, allowing him to ascend to a higher plane. In a rebooted continuity, he took the name Jack Marlowe and formed the "Halo Corporation" to fix the world, using Kherubim technology to solve problems like cars that required gasoline, and more. He combined his power with Void in this reboot world, but eventually continuity ended and he's back in his original form.

-Spartan, in his original form at least, is a Blaster who has Kill-O-Bot traits like enhanced strength and no Stamina score. Though in the first Limited Series he gets all of two shots in before he's shown getting his arm ripped off during a fight against Youngblood, and spends the rest of the time showing off his survivability, because he takes hit after hit after hit.

-Spartan's later powers include a massive upgrate to ST 11-ish, Protection 11, Flight (I assumed he could always fly, but he definitely does not in the first Limited Series), Life Detection (allowing him to scan entire cities for specific humans), X-Ray Vision, Infravision, and Enhanced Scent & Hearing. He likely ends up a PL 11-12 character. When combined with Void, he gains stuff like Teleportation.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Geegus! Neo-Dio! Image- WildC.A.T.s! Spartan!)

Post by Jabroniville »

MOAR MAKING OF FROZEN II NOTES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:

So now they're into the part with audience previews. Highly-stressful, because not only are real people seeing their work, but they're seeing UNFINISHED work. So they have to watch what they're about to show, and throw in stuff to make it more "readable", such as "put lines over this so they'll know that's wind" in an unfinished shot. "You can't just sit behind them and say 'this is gonna look GREAT in the real movie' or anything"- director Jennifer Lee.

haha poor Lee is just a basket case during the whole thing. Can barely stand the wait, and is dreading it until the moment it happens. She's sooooooooo happy they anticipated Olaf's impending doom and reacted accordingly. The weirdest thing about movie production to me is how ONE AUDIENCE SCREENING redefines the entire picture and can create massive changes. Like... not TWO screenings. They don't show it around the country- they do ONE SCREENING in San Diego and they remake entire swaths of the movie just for that.

I have the same issue with political polls- taking such a tiny slice of people and deciding enormous things is odd. I know a lot of producers have horror-stories involving things that some random doofus says after a screening and it can ruin the entire movie or show. TV writer Ken Levine says he's sat in on one and a woman hated one of the female characters: "I can't believe she wore those shoes".

So after the screening, with people 6 and up, they decided to add more comedy and to re-edit numerous scenes to read more simply to kids. Like, what if they'd just gotten a dumb audience? So some guys had 1-2 months of work cut just from the reshoots and scene reconstructions they had to do. HOWEVER, the whole bit with Olaf's "Exposition of Frozen I told in rapid-fire fashion" comes from that- too much exposition was boring the kids. And that ended up being one of the biggest crowd-pleasers every time I saw the film, and is nearly always topping the list among adults that I've talked to- that and Kristoff's song.

The penultimate chapter:
Trade Secret: In every Disney movie, the last sequence to go into production is the PROLOGUE! "Once the movie finds itself, you go 'what's the best way to set it up?' ", sez the directors. You have to know how it's ending to get the right beginning.

So the narration started the movie, and the test audience breathed a sigh of relief at the reveal that it was being told to young Anna & Elsa. So they redid the scene to show the girls FIRST, so the fans would identify the story as important and a part of this universe right away.

"The script is LOCKED" Lee says, "which is weird to say, after four years of working on it".

LOL- a guy who worked on both dress transformations: "the first dress transformation- I had a year. But with THIS... it's been four days". His first go-over is rejected almost immediately (he could tell as soon as a producer described his idea as things "FLOATING" that he was done), but he comes up with the swirling light crystals and the big moment. They watch it and Lee realizes Elsa should say "MOTHER!" when she recognizes Iduna, just to make it REALLY clear to people.

Then they show D23- the huge Disney Convention. Despite being as into Disney as I am, I've only been hearing about these for a couple of years. The reviews of them are usually pretty bad- people say it's as cramped as the parks, and they have less and less stuff to see & do. HOWEVER, this time they show parts of the movie (the show the Charades scene, which I remember reading about on MiceChat last year, and then Into the Unknown, which is the first time the ACTORS have seen the whole thing), and the cast comes out to sing Some Things Never Change to the audience.

Lee & Buck, the co-directors, do meet & greets with fans, and are both energized and pressed with the responsibility of hundreds of people telling them how the first movie changed their lives- it's a great moment but they know how important this is to get right. And now, with only months to go, they have to do ALL the effects and lighting.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Spartan

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:24 am Image

It's hilarious how closely he follows the "Cyclops Motif" without completely copying him.

SPARTAN (Hadrian, Android copied from Yon Kohl, aka "John Colt")
Created By:
Brandon Choi & Jim Lee
Role: Stoic Leader Guy, Blaster
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Cyclops (stoic, serious Blaster guy with the same haircut, physique & purpose on the team)
'90s Ratio: 8/10 (Blaster; takes a ton of damage and survives; has bandoliers; name sounds cool but means nothing as to his character)
Group Affiliations: The Kherubim, WildC.A.T.s
Anyone who knows my tastes likely won't be too surprised that Spartan was my favorite of the WildCATs, and thankfully he proved to basically the be the most iconic part of the group alongside Grifter. He was moral compass of the team, the one reigning in all of their personalities, trying to do the right thing, willing to sacrifice for his teammates, etc. The outfit design was simple yet awesome, having a patriotic look to it that morphed into Spartan taking over as Captain America during a Marvel/Wildstorm crossover. I thought his relationship with Voodoo was cute, and while another example of the stoic blaster getting with the team's sexy psychic, this time it was the blaster that was the red-head.

As for his name, it was mentioned that he was named Spartan after the Spartan warriors of old, being a master fighter and tactician who would rather die than fail his team (but luckily could recover from said death so long as there was a back up body for him), and since his living quarters were whatever tube he was sleeping at the time, he lived a "spartan" lifestyle. So the name actually said a lot about the character.

Spartan was also the WildCAT who got the most Power Creep outside of anyone perhaps Majestic, especially considering where he started. In the opening 4 issues Spartan was a guy with mild superhuman strength and durability, the ability to shoot energy blasts, create energy shields, and some sensory abilities, along with his android body being hard to kill.The two issues after that (which crossed over with Cyberforce) showcased Spartan being able to fly, cloak himself from sensors and thermals, release filaments from his wrist to do Spider-Man stunts, could interface with technology, etc. He stayed that way for the original 50 issue run, being sort of a hybrid of Captain America and Iron Man as this mid-tier super soldier flying blaster brick with sensory abilities and whatever extras the plot demanded. Though in terms of strength and durability he was closer to Cap than Iron Man, being maybe Spider-Man stat wise as best. Actually, in that sense he was closer to Captain Mar-Vell than Cyclops in terms of overall look, personality and abilities.

Then in volume 2, Scott Lobdell took over an decided to give Spartan a serious upgrade to where he became much more on the Iron Man side of things. Whereas bullets would rip into his skin and cause him damage, he was now standing up to anti-tank rounds and ripping giant robots apart with his bare hands. And later still he merged with Void and became someone who could fight guys like Majestic on a relatively even level.

But yeah, overall Spartan was my favorite of the bunch, and I don't think his costume ever really improved much beyond his original one. Tweak it a little and, to me, it still works fine. It's equal parts Superhero and Military, but for a character that it actually makes sense for. Heck, the pouches and the like actually made sense because they were often extra gadgets he could plug into himself.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Enough of your Elsa nonsense! More Image!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There was also this little gag from issue 8, which coincided with something Marvel did at the time. For context, Spartan and Voodoo are on a cruise with Marlowe, while ostensibly to protect him are also getting some vacation time.

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.