Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Backlash! Jet! Taboo! Wildcore!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Oddly, I had a character I had created called Brawl, who was physically based off another Wildstorm character (Grunge). I had no idea there actually was a Wildstorm character named Brawl.

And yeah my character was a strong guy type, though a teenager who had grown up on the street and used his abilities to build up a small empire, before being hunted by these government cabal types who wanted to wipe out superhumans, forcing him to join a teen team there for safety...and learning a bit. Later still he had an Atlantean chick save his life and heal him with some Atlantean transmutation pools that allowed him to breathe underwater.
Jabroniville

Styrian

Post by Jabroniville »

STYRIAN (Omar Kamadev)
Created By:
Sean Ruffner & Brett Booth
First Appearance: Wildcore #1 (Nov. 1997)
Role: Anti-Hero
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Storm (weather-controller, but that's it)
'90s Ratio: 0/10 (just some generic super-hero)
Group Affiliations: WildCore
PL 7 (93)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack

Powers:
"Weather Control"
"Wind Rider" Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Weather Effects" Environment 6 (500 feet) (Cold, Impede Movement 2, Light, Visibility) (30) -- [35]
  • AE: Lightning Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate 2) (14)
  • AE: "Tornado" Blast 7 (Extras: 30ft. Burst) (21)
  • AE: "Wind Storm" Affliction 7 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (3.5)
  • AE: "Wind Creation" Move Object 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (21)
  • AE: "Wind" Features 2 (-2 Thrown Weapons, snuffing flames, etc.) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Lightning Bolt +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Being Extreme and Looking Cool)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 9 (102)

-Styrian was the son of the best friend of Wildcore commander Antonio Giovanni. Backlash knew nothing about him, but he soon became romantically attached to Backlash's daughter, creating tension between the two. However, he died saving Backlash's life against Tapestry. A flying Weather Controller, Styrian was "Storm Lite".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
jcjec

Re: Vigor

Post by jcjec »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:32 pm Image
This picture makes me think, "Oh, He's about to roll his ankle and break his freakin' leg."
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
Ken

Post by Ken »

What happened to his his left leg? Some shark bite off it above the knee?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 am What happened to his his left leg? Some shark bite off it above the knee?
the '90s was oddly FULL of that pose- in the name of "dynamism", guys would have their rear leg foreshortened so much that the bottom half of it would disappear behind them.

But this goes into why I disliked Brett Booth's artwork. While not every superhero needs to be Brock Lesnar-sized, his ultra-skinny, elongated people were kind of silly looking to me. His later work on the X-Men also unimpressed me.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 pm Oddly, I had a character I had created called Brawl, who was physically based off another Wildstorm character (Grunge). I had no idea there actually was a Wildstorm character named Brawl.

And yeah my character was a strong guy type, though a teenager who had grown up on the street and used his abilities to build up a small empire, before being hunted by these government cabal types who wanted to wipe out superhumans, forcing him to join a teen team there for safety...and learning a bit. Later still he had an Atlantean chick save his life and heal him with some Atlantean transmutation pools that allowed him to breathe underwater.
Yeah i did a simialr character for one of my British Villain teams Brawl was a brick and a berserker who loved to fight. he was a hooligan basically who enjoyed fighting too much and then he got Super strong and tough.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Re: Vigor

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:55 am
Ken wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 am What happened to his his left leg? Some shark bite off it above the knee?
the '90s was oddly FULL of that pose- in the name of "dynamism", guys would have their rear leg foreshortened so much that the bottom half of it would disappear behind them.
The way his body is twisted, you should have given him Agility 12+. That is some shitty foreshortening.
jcjec wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:20 amThis picture makes me think, "Oh, He's about to roll his ankle and break his freakin' leg."
Not if he has an Agility that's 12 or higher.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:55 am But this goes into why I disliked Brett Booth's artwork. While not every superhero needs to be Brock Lesnar-sized, his ultra-skinny, elongated people were kind of silly looking to me. His later work on the X-Men also unimpressed me.
But on the other hand, their are supposed-artists who produce pictures where the heroes are all Brock Lesnar-sized, and their stuff also looks silly. Looks at Jim Lee's Batman.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Alea

Post by Jabroniville »

See, this character actually looks kind of cool- take away the '90sness of her and you could have had something.

ALEA
Created By:
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None
'90s Ratio: 8/10 (bikini costume; foreead jem and headband with long hair)
PL 7 (107)
STRENGTH
1/6 STAMINA 2/6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack

Powers:
"Ruby Skin"
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]

"Energy Redirection"
Blast 8 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy, Accurate) (Flaws: Source- Being Blasted) [11]
Immunity 20 (Energy Effects) [20]
Immunity 7 (Disease, Poison, Radiation, Cold, Heat, Vacuum, Pressure) [7]

Offense:
Blasts +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 9 (107)

-Alea was the fiance of a victim of the D'rahn, and changed into a superhuman by them, intended to be a Trojan Horse. She was supposed to be part of Wildcore, but was still in training, then was killed in the prison-break. She had ruby-like skin, giving her superhuman stats and the ability to reflect energy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Why is she apparently naked in that second shot?

(I thought I owned the Wildcore series, but I don't recognize any of these newbies.)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Yeah Alea (and Geist, later) had cooler visuals, but got no real use in the story (such as it was). Just a cool visual, waiting for a good writer to give her some character and some agency.

In vain, it turns out, 'cause it was Image, and all they had were artists.
Jabroniville

Geist

Post by Jabroniville »

GEIST (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None
'90s Ratio: 7/10 (mask that shows his hair, knives)
PL 7 (77)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Paired Knives), Power Attack

Powers:
"Blending" Concealment 2 (Visuals) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knives +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 10 (77)

-Geist was Taboo's lover on a parallel world ruled by Tapestry, and secretly followed Taboo to Earth. As he'd fallen in love with her mad, Vampiric self, he handled her transformation back into a human poorly- he lashed out at Wildcore but was defeated, then joined them for some reason. He was killed on the prison mission. His powers involved Camouflage, high agility and fighting skills.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Azrum

Post by Jabroniville »

AZRUM
Created By:
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Doctor Strange
'90s Ratio: 2/10 (has shoulder-pads; is otherwise inoffensive)
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 4 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ritualist

Powers:
"Magic" Variable 5 (Whatever bullshit powers he had, I dunno, I didn't wanna leave just him blank)

UGH OKAY, FINE!! Gamebook said it was okay to copy him

Teleport 3 (Feats: Increased Mass 4) (Extras: Extended) (13) -- [16]
  • AE: Blast 5 (10)
  • AE: "Dispel Magic" Nullify 5 (Extras: Broad) (10)
  • AE: "Mystic Barrier" Create 5 (Extras: Impervious) (Flaws: Close Range) (10)
"Magic Sceptre" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
Variable 2 (14)
Senses 3 (Magic Awareness- Acute & Analytical) (4)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Magic Blast +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 65--16 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 9 (91)

-Azrum was a "Powerful Mage" who wasn't actually part of Wildcore, but went with them to fight the D'rahn aliens as they had no defense against magic. He was with the team in the prison riot mission and was killed. Gamebook's bio includes low-level Blasts, Dispel and Barrier spells, all enhanced by his Magic Spectre, so probably go with that, lol.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: Azrum

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:18 pm Image

AZRUM
Created By:
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Doctor Strange
'90s Ratio: 2/10 (has shoulder-pads; is otherwise inoffensive)
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 4 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ritualist

Powers:
"Magic" Variable 5 (Whatever bullshit powers he had, I dunno, I didn't wanna leave just him blank)

UGH OKAY, FINE!! Gamebook said it was okay to copy him

Teleport 3 (Feats: Increased Mass 4) (Extras: Extended) (13) -- [16]
  • AE: Blast 5 (10)
  • AE: "Dispel Magic" Nullify 5 (Extras: Broad) (10)
  • AE: "Mystic Barrier" Create 5 (Extras: Impervious) (Flaws: Close Range) (10)
"Magic Sceptre" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
Variable 2 (14)
Senses 3 (Magic Awareness- Acute & Analytical) (4)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Magic Blast +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 65--16 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 9 (91)

-Azrum was a "Powerful Mage" who wasn't actually part of Wildcore, but went with them to fight the D'rahn aliens as they had no defense against magic. He was with the team in the prison riot mission and was killed. Gamebook's bio includes low-level Blasts, Dispel and Barrier spells, all enhanced by his Magic Spectre, so probably go with that, lol.
He has an interesting look about him. Always helpful to have a mage on your team.
Jabroniville

Deathblow

Post by Jabroniville »

DEATHBLOW (Michael Cray)
Created By:
Brandon Choi & Jim Lee
First Appearance: Darker Image #1 (March 1993)
Role: EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEME '90s Hero, Gun Guy
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: The Punisher (Gun Guy)
'90s Ratio: 9/10 (HIS NAME IS DEATHBLOW. Also, guns and healing powers)
Group Affiliations: Team Six, Team Seven, Gen-12, Team LaSport
PL 9 (139)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 9 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 2 (+12)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 6 (Guns, Knives), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Guns), Precise Shot (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Gen-Factor Powers: Cannot Be Killed"
Immortality 2 [4]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]
Force Field 4 (Extras: Affects Others) [8]
"Mind Shield" Immunity 10 (Mental Powers) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knives +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Guns +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Redemption)- Deathblow killed many people while acting as a government wetworks man, and now seeks to atone.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 12 (139)

-Yes, DEATHBLOW. I'm less surprised by the name and more surprised they didn't come up with it elsewhere- it's possibly the most "Iron Age" name in a line that includes Warblade, Ripclaw, and Ballistic. The comic itself is an attempt by Jim Lee to ape Frank Miller, and it's curious and bold on that attempt- as Lee is about 100 times as skilled as most "Style Clone" artists, he pulls it off a tad- using blotchy black shadows over his trademark lineart so you can't tell it's him as much.

-Deathblow is a man who joined the Navy to avenge the deaths of his parents at the hands of terrorists, joining first the Navy SEALs, then the elite "Team Seven" (a part of Wildstorm's backstory). He was exposed to the "Gen-Factor" like the other members, gaining super-powers as a result, but they didn't manifest for years. He served I/O continuously, even after most of his team went underground. When his wife was killed by a teammate, and he was diagnosed with a brain tumor, he retired, wanting to atone for the innocents he killed during his missions. His "cancer" turned out to be his powers awakening, and he soon began helping people against demonic entities and the like, becoming a professional bodyguard in a series that reads mostly like "A dude has a fight, then another fight, then gets ambushed for another fight", with a lot of religious overtones since one of his allies is a sexy Murder-Nun and various people have angel themes. He got three issues written by Alan Moore. The character was eventually killed off while finishing Damocles, a villain from the Fire From Heaven crossover.

-Deathblow returned, like many/most Wildstorm properties, in the DC Universe, starring in his own book for a while, written by Brian Azzarello, then again in the New DCU.

-Deathblow is a PL 9 version of the Punisher, with some low-tier super-powers altering his caps slightly- he becomes +8 Toughness with his Force Field, and is functionally immortal, having died a few times over the course of his story and been reborn in a week or so. Otherwise he's just Punisher Lite.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

ShadowHawk

Post by Jabroniville »

SHADOWHAWK (Paul Johnstone)
Created By:
Jim Valentino
First Appearance: Youngblood #2 (May/June 1992)
Role: EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEME '90s Hero, Street-Level Hero
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Darkhawk (flying guy with metal wings and Wolverine claws)
'90s Ratio: 8/10 (extreme '90s name; claws)
Group Affiliations: Brigade
PL 9 (140)
STRENGTH
3/6 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 6 (+9, +12 Armor)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+12)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Law) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Streetwise) 6 (+9)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Shuriken) 1 (+11)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 2 (Shuriken), Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Powered Exo-Skeleton" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 7) (11)
"Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (2)
-- (19 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Armored +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Shuriken +11 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor, +4 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Fighting Crime)- Paul was unfairly ruined by violent criminals, and now seeks revenge on them.
Disabled (AIDS)- Paul is HIV-Positive, and the diseases furthered into AIDS. He grows more tired, and an early death is certain.
Motivation (Curing AIDS)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 12 (140)

-Jim Valentino's only offering to the early Image Comics was ShadowHawk- one of three solo heroes in the line. ETM's guides advertised in comic books of the time promised a "violent new series", and it starred Paul Johnstone, a "troubled youth" from Harlem who nonetheless managed to stay out of trouble enough to become district attorney. However, his crack-addicted half-brother is used as leverage by some goons to "look the other way", and when he refuses, he is attacked and deliberately injected with HIV-positive blood- Paul goes through discrimination in the workplace over possibly being infected (this was a major hot-button issue at the time- even Captain Planet talked about it, and a real-life story with a teen boy who suffered from it was a sensation), then ends up fired and in jail.

-Finally getting out, he was confirmed as HIV-positive and then beaten up by hoodlums- this was the moment where he decided to become a vigilante- a friend of his (who'd been kicked off the police for excessive force... wow this just keeps getting more topical) gets him a super-powered exoskeleton suit, and he becomes "ShadowHawk". A brutal vigilante, he maimed and crippled crooks, breaking their spines when he caught them in the act. He faced villains like the crime-boss Vendetta and her gang "The Regulaltors", along with a few others. What little I've seen of ShadowHawk consists of the worst elements of 1990s comics ("I feel a certain amount of SATISFACTION as his spine breaks. This one will never threaten an innocent again").

-Eventually, he became less and less violent as his death grew closer- HIV progressed to AIDS, and he spent a lot of time on trying to cure his condition or extend his life. Things like putting his consciousness into a robot didn't work, and Spawn & a few of his friends managed to convince him to accept death. Finally, he saved his mother from the racist villain Hawk's Shadow, and succumbed to AIDS after the battle. After his death, it would be revealed that the "ShadowHawk" is a "Spirit of Justice" that inhabits various people across time. A guy named Eddie Collins became a new ShadowHawk, being empowered by the same spirit, and Paul returned after Eddie's father offered himself as a sacrifice to the spirts to save Eddie from death- now resurrected, Paul went back to his old "spine-breaking" form of justice.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.