Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Badrock! Diehard! Riptide! Troll! Masada!)

Post by Goldar »

Is KnightSabre's look a cross between Gambit and Liefeld's face?
Davies

Re: Dutch

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:49 am
Brahma is dumb. And while I realize his name is probably meant in reference to the bull, there's also the issue that it's also the name of a major god of a religion that's still practiced in the modern world.
Devil's advocate here -- would you really be surprised if you learned that Liefeld didn't know that?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ian Turner

Re: KnightSabre

Post by Ian Turner »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:29 am '90s Ratio: 7/10 (powers literally based around pissing people off; energy blasts)
As opposed to every other member of Youngblood, who don't get power-ups from being jerks, but do so anyway...

Ooh, now I want to see a character who gets their power from serenity. As long as they control their emotions, and remain dispassionate, they are unstoppable, but when they start to lose it, their powers start to fade and sputter! Some wise old Yoda/Miyagi sort, who teaches patience and calm.

And wow, I remembered Masada was a giant lady, but forgot how stripperific that costume was! Yikes.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

For a while, that was the She-Hulk who was Thundra's future-daughter. The madder she got, the weaker she got. Then she was cured of that flaw, which was also the most interesting thing about her powers, and... well, you don't see her much anymore, do you?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ian Turner wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 am Ooh, now I want to see a character who gets their power from serenity. As long as they control their emotions, and remain dispassionate, they are unstoppable, but when they start to lose it, their powers start to fade and sputter! Some wise old Yoda/Miyagi sort, who teaches patience and calm.
That's Lyra, the alternate future daughter of Hulk and Thundra. The angrier she gets the weaker she becomes.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Psilence

Post by Jabroniville »

PSILENCE (Monica Caine)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Youngblood #8 (Sept. 1994)
Role: Anti-Hero, Telepath
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Jean Grey/Rachel Summers (X-Telepaths/Telekinetics)
'90s Ratio: 6/10 (Psionic Chick; Uber-Stripperific Outfit)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack

Powers:
"Mandatory X-Ripoff Psionics"
Mental Blast 8 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (24) -- [28]
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area, Selective) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (15)
Senses 3 (Danger Sense, Detect Minds- Ranged) [3]
"Rob Liefeld Character" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Mental Blast -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Being Extreme and Looking Cool)
Disabled (Mute)- Psilence has been unable to speak ever since she got her powers. She instead communicates telepathically.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 12 (98)

-Psilence here has the gimmick of being the Telepath/Telekinetic, back when being an X-Men rip-off meant you HAD to have some Psionic Chicks on your team, which had left her mute ever since. She is PL 6 unarmed and PL 7 to defenses, while having a PL 8 Mental Blast.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Man, telepathy/telekinesis are so, so overdone. I want to see more 'psychic' / psionic superheros who are all about clairvoyance or psychometry or precognition or astral projection.

Barring that, a telepath who *just* has the ability to send and receive thoughts, and not *also* mental blast, mind swap, teach skills & languages, absorb skills instantly, modify memories, stop people's hearts, mind control, implant suggestions, psychic illusions, psychic invisibility, psychic knives, astral projection, etc, etc. Marvel, in particular, has strapped like *twelve* extra powers onto the generic 'mutant telepath build.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I'll be honest, I dig the name "Psilence".
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ian Turner wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm Man, telepathy/telekinesis are so, so overdone. I want to see more 'psychic' / psionic superheros who are all about clairvoyance or psychometry or precognition or astral projection.

Barring that, a telepath who *just* has the ability to send and receive thoughts, and not *also* mental blast, mind swap, teach skills & languages, absorb skills instantly, modify memories, stop people's hearts, mind control, implant suggestions, psychic illusions, psychic invisibility, psychic knives, astral projection, etc, etc. Marvel, in particular, has strapped like *twelve* extra powers onto the generic 'mutant telepath build.
It was RIDICULOUSLY tired, and pretty much all stemmed from Jean Grey in the 1980s. Because Jean begat Rachel, and from there you get Cable/X-Man, and for a long time, Telekinesis/Telepathy became the hot new "Top-Tier Superhero Power", surpassing Flying Bricks for a very long time, until a billion Supermanalogues came to the forefront.
Jabroniville

Task

Post by Jabroniville »

TASK (Ryan Orsini)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld & Pat Lee
First Appearance: Youngblood #8 (Sept. 1994)
Role: Anti-Hero, Sword Guy
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Shatterstar (HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT HEADDRESS AND THE SWORDS)
'90s Ratio: 8/10 (Angry Sword Guy; permanent grimace; healing powers)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 3 (Throwing Flechettes +4, 4-5 Katanas Because You Totes Need That Many), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Rob Liefeld Character" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Feet) [1]
Immunity 5 (Fatigue Effects) [5]
Regeneration 4 [4]

"Glowing Sword So It's Probably a Device" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [5]
Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 4) (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Flechettes +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Being Extreme and Looking Cool)
Relationship (Psilence, Doc Rocket)- Task was infatuated with the beautiful, silent empath, but eventually entered into a relationship with Doc Rocket from a later team.

Total: Abilities: 45 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 8 (90)

-AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA, WHAT THE SHIT?!? This is literally just Shatterstar! Lookit his damn headdress! That is just a bumpier version of Shatterstar's cloth headdress/boxing helmet thingie! And this guy even has SWORDS, too! Those damn Skinny Rob Liefeld Katanas, but still. Like, this is only 1994, so Shatterstar was still a popular "Breakout Character" on X-Force, not some forgotten relic of the '90s or unexpected LGBT icon. This is just taking your old creation and deciding you're re-using him in your new company! Okay, so that's Mickey Mouse's origin story, too.

-Task was a normal guy who underwent "molecular experimentation" by the "Bloodpool" organization that creates Youngblood members, and became a super-agile, never-tiring warrior. He had a crush on teammate Psilence, but later appeared on the fourth incarnation of Youngblood, and slept with Doc Rocket.

-Task is a PL 7.5 fighter who's good with his Glowing Sword and can throw flechettes or darts or whatever (those weird blade-y things that are IDENTICAL to what Archangel threw from his wings).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Troll! Psi-Fire! Masada! Psilence! Task!)

Post by Shock »

Task? Were Job and Chore already taken?
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

That name is so random,.. Task
Spam

Post by Spam »

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:42 pm That name is so random,.. Task
BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Was waiting for a chance to do that, after you bombed my my Cougar/MLF joke.

Revenge is mine!!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:38 pm
Ian Turner wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 am Ooh, now I want to see a character who gets their power from serenity. As long as they control their emotions, and remain dispassionate, they are unstoppable, but when they start to lose it, their powers start to fade and sputter! Some wise old Yoda/Miyagi sort, who teaches patience and calm.
That's Lyra, the alternate future daughter of Hulk and Thundra. The angrier she gets the weaker she becomes.
Yes, and didn't Red Hulk have a similar outcome or burn up or some such the angrier he got?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So this next batch of dinks all came from Alan Moore's run on Youngblood, where he rewrote the book and changed characters pretty much at-will, with Rob letting him do whatever he liked, thus producing... something more like Silver Age DC. Sorta. The characters have an entirely different feel to them than the others, lacking the "Captain '90s" aspects and being less outrageous and easy to make fun of and more like vaguely-DC-esque Legacy Characters, sidekicks and the like. Moore's run was extremely short, and so none of these people got much focus at all. As such, I'm not going to build any of the four. If you want to see more elaborate, fleshed-out versions, just read Kreuzritter's thread over on RPGnet: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads ... 1/page-348. He goes into a lot more detail than I would regarding people this badly forgotten.