Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Kaboom!

Post by Jabroniville »

KABOOM!
Created By:
Jeph Loeb & Jeff Matsuda
First Appearance: Kaboom #1 (Sept. 1997)
Role: Jumped-Up Teen Boy
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None
'90s Ratio: 3/10 (armored superhero)
Group Affiliations: Brigade
PL 8 (65)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+5)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack

Powers:
"Power-Punching Gloves & Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [11]
Protection 5 (5)
Damage 8 (8)
-- (13 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Power Punch +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+7 Suit), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Being Extreme and Looking Cool)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 10 (65)

-Jeff Matsuda's character Kaboom was later added to Brigade, in an attempt to fill the failed book with bigger stars. Matsuda himself later became a much bigger (if notorious) name for being the character designer for first Jackie Chan Adventures (a fun, action-packed martial arts show with tons of inventive martial artist & mook designs), and then The Batman. In the latter case... yeah, his Joker, Martial-Arts Penguin and other designs became popular to hate on, and the cartoon created the infamous "Bat-Embargo" on the much more well-liked Justice League Unlimited, and was following and then followed by MUCH more popular Batman-related cartoons, so it's somewhat despised these days.

-I... really have nothing on this character. Every bio just lists "Power Punch" as an ability and I know nothing else about him. So I figure him for a bit of a one-trick pony.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Coldsnap! Seahawk! Vanguard! Kaboom!

Post by Ares »

The only thing I vaguely remember about Kaboom is that they had a follow up series after his first outing where he and a girl had to share the gauntlets, each of them having one and having to work together to unleash their full power, and the original kid was pretty salty about the whole thing.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
slade the sniper

Re: S.P.I.C.E.

Post by slade the sniper »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:35 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:30 pm Image

S.P.I.C.E. (Super Prototype Intelligent Cyborg Entity)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Fighting American #1 (April 1997)
Role: Anti-Hero, Bucky Palette Swap
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: The Female Bucky (IT'S LITERALLY A RECOLOR), Boom-Boom (goggles)
'90s Ratio: 4/10 (goggles; cyborg)

-Hoo boy- so S.P.I.C.E. is a recolor of Liefeld's female Bucky for his ill-fated Heroes Reborn Captain America series, thrown in as the sidekick to his not-Cap rip-off, Fighting American (a character used entirely as a f*ck you to Marvel for booting Rob off early). Now used as a cyborg, she... doesn't have any kind of online bio.
I had the misfortune of reading the first five issues of Fighting American. It was... flat. The story was almost the same and yhe chatacter were cardboard cutouts.
SPICE was literally just Rikki Barnes with guns mounted in het fingers.
That's her finger???

-STS
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

slade the sniper wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:38 am That's her finger???
-STS
I guess it gives new meaning to 'I gave them the finger.' :)
M4C8

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Coldsnap! Seahawk! Vanguard! Kaboom!

Post by M4C8 »

I haven't seen it in years but I really liked the Jackie Chan animated show.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ian Turner wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:15 am
slade the sniper wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:38 am That's her finger???
-STS
I guess it gives new meaning to 'I gave them the finger.' :)
Not necessarily, there's every likelihood that her middle finger morphs into a phallic shape that vibrates at a variety of speeds.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

slade the sniper wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:38 am
Woodclaw wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:35 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:30 pm Image

S.P.I.C.E. (Super Prototype Intelligent Cyborg Entity)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Fighting American #1 (April 1997)
Role: Anti-Hero, Bucky Palette Swap
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: The Female Bucky (IT'S LITERALLY A RECOLOR), Boom-Boom (goggles)
'90s Ratio: 4/10 (goggles; cyborg)

-Hoo boy- so S.P.I.C.E. is a recolor of Liefeld's female Bucky for his ill-fated Heroes Reborn Captain America series, thrown in as the sidekick to his not-Cap rip-off, Fighting American (a character used entirely as a f*ck you to Marvel for booting Rob off early). Now used as a cyborg, she... doesn't have any kind of online bio.
I had the misfortune of reading the first five issues of Fighting American. It was... flat. The story was almost the same and yhe chatacter were cardboard cutouts.
SPICE was literally just Rikki Barnes with guns mounted in het fingers.
That's her finger???

-STS
Yeah, that's her index morphed into gun mode.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Glory

Post by Jabroniville »

GLORY (Gloriana Demeter, aka Gloria West)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Youngblood Strikefile #1 (1993)
Role: Anti-Hero
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None (Wonder Woman "Homage")
'90s Ratio: 9/10 (giant boobs; bendy spine; big hair; sword; bikini outfit)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood
PL 11 (181)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (History) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Demon Lore) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Sword), Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2

Powers:
Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease) [3]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [3]
Features 1: Instant Change (Clothes to Battle Gear) [1]

Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate) (Flaws: Medium- Reflective Surfaces) [16]

"Cool God Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10 points)

"Rob Liefeld Character" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Sword +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Torn Between Worlds)- The child of an Amazon and a Demon, Glory feels like she fits in with neither, and instead spends her time on man's world.

Total: Abilities: 94 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 9 (181)

-Glory is the kind of character who would have totally appealed to me if she wasn't drawn by Rob Liefeld and his cronies- even at the peak of my fandom for him, I never found his women anything but off-putting. She's a Half-Amazon, Half-Demon warrior woman who clearly apes Wonder Woman, but ramps up the bad-assedness. She was raised by Lady Demeter of the Amazonians, though her father was Lord Silverfall of the Underworld- the two mated as part of an alliance against the human world. She emerged as a fine warrior, but had a savage streak a mile wide owing to her demonic heritage- not feeling at home in either world, she entered the "world of man".

-Her backstory consists of WW-like stuff such as joining the World War II fights alongside Supreme, and she joined the third incarnation of Brigade, made up of then-current characters- her original work was drawn by a newbie named Mike Deodato, Jr., and her solo book went 15 issues- a huge run by Image standards. When Alan Moore joined Image Comics, he created a Glory book alongside his Supreme work, again visiting Silver Age tropes. He added a bunch of mythos, adventure and romance to the series, to the point where it comes off as a dry run for his later work, Promethea. Glory takes the identity of a waitress named "Gloria West" in her attempts to experience humanity. However, this was short-lived- only one issue was published by Moore- two more came out in 2001. In an intercompany crossover, she teamed up with Angela to fight an evil angel named Celestine, fighting back an army of the dead to do so. I don't believe the character's been used in years- her book lasted another 12 or so issues after a revamp redesigned her entirely.

-Most versions in the early days look like your standard-issue '90s Comic Book Babe- 80 feet of leg, giant spheroid boobs and an ultra-bendy spine, but modern artists tend to draw her with a spunky, childish face on a preposterously swole muscle-bod. I... find it hard to argue against that look. Though some artists make her look downright malformed- an arm that was badly injured by an insane Supreme got modified with cybernetics or ice-powers or something and looks freakish at times. I actually didn't even recognize Sophie Campbell's art, here- her stuff was mostly cutesy (TMNT) or girly (Jem & the Holograms) from what I've seen- though I guess some of these Glory shots would count as "Ugly Cute" in a way.

-Glory is apparently VASTLY powerful, being second only to Supreme in the "Awesome Comics" universe- as a Wonder Woman analogue, she's extremely strong and durable, and specializes in using a sword. Campbell's version was a very cool sword made up of separate "pieces" that floated in a sword-shape- something I'd actually come up with for my own Greek Gods and though was TOTES ORIGINAL. Naturally, hers looks better. But mostly Glory is a PL 11 Stabby Fighter, with way more hitting power than the typical Image heroine. There's a Demonic Form mentioned in some places, that might be a stronger version- that could be a Metamorph or Involuntary Transformation- I dunno.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Glory

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:06 amher original work was drawn by a newbie named Mike Deodato, Jr., and her solo book went 15 issues- a huge run by Image standards.
That "newbie" was just coming off of a 12 issue run of 'Wonder Woman" about the time he started working on "Glory".
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:06 am Image
I love how this picture is the three of them staring in horror at her crotch
Spectrum

Re: Kaboom!

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:48 am Image

KABOOM!
Oh good, a female character that isn't completely stripperific..

Oh. It's a male character.

Neeeever mind.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Shock wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:02 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:06 am Image
I love how this picture is the three of them staring in horror at her crotch
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:50 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:06 amher original work was drawn by a newbie named Mike Deodato, Jr., and her solo book went 15 issues- a huge run by Image standards.
That "newbie" was just coming off of a 12 issue run of 'Wonder Woman" about the time he started working on "Glory".
He’s still PRETTY new to the biz at that point. Only in his first couple of years.
Jabroniville

The Never Man

Post by Jabroniville »

The Four, who of course number five.

THE NEVER MAN
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Team Youngblood #12 (Aug. 1994)
Role: Energy Being
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None
'90s Ratio: ??/10
Group Affiliations: The Four

-The Never Man is the mysterious leader of The Four, and doesn't have much in the way of online bios. He appears as a white silhouette, and is super strong & durable, and can shoot energy and possibly negate powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Starbright

Post by Jabroniville »

STARBRIGHT (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Youngblood #1 (April 1992)
Role: Blaster
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Strobe (light powers & bright costume)
'90s Ratio: 2/10 (generic blaster)
Group Affiliations: The Four
PL 7 (74)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Light Blast 7 (14) -- [15]
  • AE: Dazzle Visuals (14)
"Rob Liefeld Character" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Light Blast +7 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Dazzle Visuals +7 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 9 (74)

-Starbright is kinda weird, because she's nothing more than a clone of Rob's MLF character Strobe- a generic Blaster with light-themed powers. She wears a yellow onesie and has some weird-ass accoutrements, including three levels of pointy shoulder-pads and Rob Liefeld Dildos sticking out of her back. It's this bizarre combination of half-assed and unique.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.