Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Savage Dragon! SuperPatriot! Mighty Man!)

Post by Ares »

And this is why all of the best villains build their OWN power armor: because relying on someone else to do it means they can really screw you over if they aren't Soundwave loyal to you or dead.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Savage Dragon's Rogues and allies provide me with an interesting and unique problem- Larsen LOVES him some "two-part names", with SuperPatriot, Overlord, Cyberface and others all taking up space in his universe. However, since comic books uses an "ALL CAPS" style of text formatting, it's a bit difficult to tell whether or not any of these names are supposed to have the second part capitalized or not, as it would read the same on the page regardless.

So I'm left with the issue of wondering whether to call them Superpatriot, Cyberface, Overlord & Powerhouse, or SuperPatriot, CyberFace, OverLord & PowerHouse.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Powerhouse and overlord are accepted words on their own. They began as compound words but can be found in dictionaries as single words with no capitalisation. Therefore those two should be "Powerhouse" and "Overlord".

Cyber-Face and Super-Patriot would make more sense if they were two word names, or at least hyphenated. However, since Mr. Larsen eschewed such conventions, I would recommend that you leave both words in the compound words capitalised, i.e. CyberFace and SuperPatriot.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Thank you for Super Patriot and Horridus.

I thought they would be forgotten. YAY!

-STS
Shock

Post by Shock »

The thing I'm finding most striking about this entire Image set is how little depth there is to most of these builds. So many "main" characters coming in with jobber level point totals.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:28 am So I'm left with the issue of wondering whether to call them Superpatriot, Cyberface, Overlord & Powerhouse, or SuperPatriot, CyberFace, OverLord & PowerHouse.
I think that you're reading them wrong, they are:
SUPERPATRIOT
CYBERFACE
OVERLORD
POWERHOUSE

:)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Shock wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:44 pm The thing I'm finding most striking about this entire Image set is how little depth there is to most of these builds. So many "main" characters coming in with jobber level point totals.
Kind of fitting given the general "style over substance" nature of Image.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Powerhouse

Post by Jabroniville »

POWERHOUSE (Denny Atlas)
Created By:
Erik Larsen
First Appearance: The Savage Dragon #24 (Dec. 1995)
Role: Flying Brick, Intellectual Crimeboss, Giant Chicken
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None
'90s Ratio: 0/10 (more of a goofy '60s idea)
Group Affiliations: The Vicious Circle, Strikeforce
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+9)
Expertise (Retail Worker) 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Wealth), Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- A victim of bullying since childhood, Powerhouse seeks to gain what is rightfully his.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 7 (107)

-oh, that wacky Erik. Only he could have come up with this one- a Supermanalogue who has a chicken head. And of course he has a tragic backstory- he was a bullying victim whose entire family was driven to suicide by voices in their head. He went from foster home to foster home and was tormented by his school bullies at his convenience store job, too... and then the voices hit him, too. However, unlike his family, who killed themselves to get away from them, he instead LISTENED to them- he sought out his birthright, which was a mask that attached to his face, turning him into a chicken-man. Because, of course, he was a descendant of the Egyptian Sun God, Ra.

-Calling himself Powerhouse, the lad became one of the Vicious Circle, acting as a mere goon. He then joined Cyberface's organization, becoming a trusted lieutenant, and opposed the foolish, rebellious BrainiApe. Eventually, however, Cyberface was killed and Overlord resurrected, and Powerhouse was one of three men vying for power- he set up BrainiApe & Overlord for the police, thus taking charge with resourcefulness, intelligence, and pragmatism. He was surprisingly cordial with the Dragon, keeping things quiet in Chicago and helping when he could. However, when a Nega-Bomb went off, all he worked for was broken- the Vicious Circle mostly lost their powers- he and Fever (the only other member to keep their powers) agreed to help the heroes in a fight against the Covenant of the Sword, and he even joined Strikeforce!

-In the new, post-"DarkLord" timeline, he mostly stuck with Herakles and other Gods on the "God Squad", then rejoins the Vicious Circle. He seems to become a much more minor character after that.

-I figure Powerhouse for another PL 8 kind of guy, but a bit more versatile and clever than your average "Freak".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:44 pm The thing I'm finding most striking about this entire Image set is how little depth there is to most of these builds. So many "main" characters coming in with jobber level point totals.
Yeah, a big issue is many characters only appear in a tiny handful of issues over time, or are minor supporting characters. Longer-running guys like Shaft, the main WildCATs, Spawn and others are pricier, but “generic powerhouse/martial artist/blaster #50” is just going to have the basics. In Liefeld characters in particular, guys who up and die quickly all the time.
Jabroniville

Smasher

Post by Jabroniville »

SMASHER (Jennifer Murphy)
Created By:
Erik Larsen
First Appearance: The Savage Dragon #1 (March 1993)
Role: Powerhouse Lady, Miss Fanservice
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Wonder Woman/She-Hulk (Sexy Powerhouse Lady)
'90s Ratio: 6/10 (generic strong character; huge boobs)
Group Affiliations: Strikeforce
PL 9 (99)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Current Events) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Power-Lifting 1 (100 tons) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (The Dragon, Angel)- Smasher married the Dragon in the newer version of Earth, and nearly did in the previous one. They have a daughter named Angel.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 9 (99)

-Smasher is one of the mid-term "Dragon Love Interests"- she had married a man who turned abusive, and accidentally splattered his head with a single punch when she defended herself- the result of newfound mutant powers. She was framed for a series of murders, but the Dragon proved her innocence. She ended up on the "Strikeforce" team that replaced Youngblood, but was trapped in alternate realities for a while. When she returns, she and the Dragon get engaged (a manipulative effort on his part to get her to leave Strikeforce), but before the wedding, she is replaced by an imposter (called "Imposter"), who dies. Dragon mourns her, and is then surprised to be attacked by Smasher herself! Now brainwashed by the Covenant of the Sword, she fights the Dragon until being freed from their control. She dies when Universo destroys much of the Earth.

-In the new Earth post-DarkLord, Smasher shows up alive, as she & Dragon had been through a much happier relationship. Despite their difficulties (as they have a very odd situation), the two marry. Both join the Liberty League. Eventually, she was rendered powerless during a battle with Negate, and disappeared after being hospitalized. She has yet to return in the comic.

-Smasher is another generic Powerhouse character in a series full of them, but is upgraded to PL 9 by virtue of managing to (mostly) stay alive in a world full of death.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tattooedman

Re: Smasher

Post by Tattooedman »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 pm Image
SWEET LANA KANE! look at those man-hands in those last 2 pictures.....
SMASHER (Jennifer Murphy)
'90s Ratio: 6/10 (generic strong character; huge boobs)
You know she's a female character drawn by Erik Larson right?
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Re: Smasher

Post by Jabroniville »

Tattooedman wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:33 pm SWEET LANA KANE! look at those man-hands in those last 2 pictures.....
I think Larsen is just using some weird foreshortening, because I don't see it mimicked in other pictures.
You know she's a female character drawn by Erik Larson right?
I mean, all his women look that way, yeah. Anyone in a tight costume will score at least a "4", with Smasher upgrading because she's even chestier than normal, and is super-strong- the big "generic Image character power" :).
Spectrum

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Mighty Man! Overlord! Powerhouse! Smasher!)

Post by Spectrum »

From the pics, I'm surprised that she isn't a grower power set.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

She-Dragon

Post by Jabroniville »

YUP.

THE SHE-DRAGON (Amy Belcher, aka Sensation)
Created By:
Erik Larsen
First Appearance: The Savage Dragon vs. The Savage Megaton Man #1 (March 1993)
Role: Distaff Counterpart (to Savage Dragon), Powerhouse
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: She-Hulk (Sexy Green Powerhouse Lady)
'90s Ratio: 6/10 (generic strong character)
Group Affiliations: Strikeforce, The Nixed Men, The M.M.M.S., The Chicago Police Department
PL 7 (73)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Obsession (The Dragon)- Amy has been obsessed with the Dragon for years, and deliberately mimics his appearance as a way to impress him.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 10 (73)

-Appearing semi-late in the Savage Dragon book was She-Dragon, your classic "Female Counterpart" to the hero. She started out as a hero called "Sensation"- a life-threatening disease was cured by an evil scienctist named the Creator, who gave her super-powers, but made her his sex slave. She was abandoned when five voices from another world started speaking through her, and she joined several of the Creator's other agents, called the "Nixed Men". She became obsessed with the Dragon after he defeated their group, who was beating up homeless people- she started calling herself the "She-Dragon" and grew a fin-like mohawk to "prove" herself to him. She actually became a pretty well-trained superhero, being mentored by others and joining the Strikeforce, but married a normal man after she was de-powered by a big "Nega-Bomb".

-When the Dragon moved to another Earth for a while, she turned up never having matured out of her "valley girl" days, but was abducted by an evil Space Emperor and was enslaved for years, but escaped before becoming a sex slave. She then got de-powered and joined the police force as a normal person.

-The She-Dragon is a mid-tier Powerhouse in the Dragon setting- strong but not invincible.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Mighty Man! Overlord! Smasher! She-Dragon!)

Post by Ares »

I'd probably drop She-Dragon down to a 9 or 8 strength wise. It was generally agreed that she was noticeably less strong than Dragon, since she had no relation to his people. She was just a girl with green skin and some very mild superstrength, and she needed those power gloves to really make a difference.

Smasher meanwhile probably deserves to be at least a Strength 12, as she was listed as a "90 Ton" hero and was considered VASTLY stronger than Dragon. She was in that "Not quite Thor/Herakles/Mighty Man" category, but definitely above the Dragon.