Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Diva

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:02 pm Image
Spirit Gum?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Cannon

Post by Jabroniville »

CANNON (Mitchell Saunders)
Created By:
Jim Lee & Scott Clark
First Appearance: StormWatch #2 (April 1993)
Role: Anti-Hero
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Shatterstar (very similar look)
'90s Ratio: 7/10 (Jim Lee Hair-Showing Helmet; long ponytail, inexplicable Tubes on costume, Flying Blaster)
Group Affiliations: StormWatch
PL 7 (78)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Communications, etc.), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Energy Blast 8 [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (The United Nations)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 9 (78)

-Cannon appears drawn from a collection of stupid 1990s design tropes- inexplicable armor placement (long metal plates along his chest and shoulders?) and a weird helmet that protects only the sides of his face, as they leave his hair, face, and ridiculous '90s ponytail exposed. He is the "Johnny Storm" of the team- a headstrong guy who flies in without thinking and gets his ass kicked. He's said to have formed a relationship with teammate Diva, but it was "doomed to fail", as he never respected her skills and always felt he should be the team leader. Finally, he "went renegade" and left StormWatch.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Haunt! StormWatch! Battalion! Fuji!)

Post by Ares »

Cannon was worse than the "Johnny Storm" of the group. He was the Wheeler of the group. You know, the boorish American who thought he was always right, and had to have all of the other characters explain how he was wrong or put him in his place. He wasn't even useful as the "teammate nobody likes" because Flashpoint was an even bigger jackass. Hell, they were both blonde white guys, did you NEED another one?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Fahrenheit

Post by Jabroniville »

FAHRENHEIT (Laurie Pennington)
Created By:
Jim Lee & Scott Clark
First Appearance: StormWatch #1 (March 1993)
Role: Fire Blaster
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: The Human Torch (fire powers)
'90s Ratio: 2/10 (Flying Blaster)
PL 7 (88)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Communications, etc.), Power Attack

Powers:
Fire Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate, Split) [18]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Offense:
Fire Blast +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 9 (88)

-Fahrenheit joined StormWatch after being uncovered as a "Seedling", but was haunted by numerous deaths during a mission, as a result of her teammate Rose Tattoo. She was killed during the Alien crossover when an alien burst from her chest, but was later resurrected when the Doctor rebooted the universe. She was recruited onto the StormWatch PHD team even after being depowered, as she had years or experience with the team. She dated Hellstrike briefly, but dumped him when he didn't even bother to visit her in the hospital.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Fahrenheit showcases one problem with Stormwatch: Boring, repetitive powers.

Half the team were flying blasters with the only variation being the energy type.

Cannon
Diva
Farenheit
Malcolm King
Winter
Hellstrike
Sunburst

That's seven members who basically just "fly" and "shoot stuff". The most unique one of the bunch is Winter, and only because he has to absorb energy first.

I generally like the Stormwatch concept, but it needed some more variety.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Ares wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:30 pm Fahrenheit showcases one problem with Stormwatch: Boring, repetitive powers.

Half the team were flying blasters with the only variation being the energy type.

Cannon
Diva
Farenheit
Malcolm King
Winter
Hellstrike
Sunburst

That's seven members who basically just "fly" and "shoot stuff". The most unique one of the bunch is Winter, and only because he has to absorb energy first.

Agreed. Everyone had flight, and half of them had a zap, so it came across as kind of like the Legion of Super-Heroes. Here's Fire Boy. Here's Sonic Girl. Here's a completely different flying fire-zapper, but she's a girl! Ooh, this one shoots zaps from his eyes (Flashpoint)! And this one has no nose (Nautika)!

I was actually intrigued by the name-drop characters Ion and Lancer, who died in the first issue, since Lancer, at least, had a pair of spears and suggested something unique (a close up melee scrapper type), and Ion suggested some sort of acid/electricity powers that could, in theory, have been more interesting (if he could strip the ions from something to cause it to decay like acid, and then use those ions to either shoot electrical blasts or reinforce the structure of other materials?). Then again, 'Ion' probably just would have been a flying lightning zapper... :/

As much as I shun Liefield, at least the Youngblood team mixed it up with a cyborg, a psychic, a feral dude, an acrobat, a water manipulator, a growth chick, an archer, etc. in addition to a flying zapper.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:30 pm Fahrenheit showcases one problem with Stormwatch: Boring, repetitive powers.

Cannon
Diva
Farenheit
Malcolm King
Winter
Hellstrike
Sunburst

Yeah, as I stated in my beginning scrawl on the team, the vast majority of these builds are identical- Super-Strong or Flying Blaster and that's it. Combining that with their plain costumes and the same-y nature to the "standard" comic books (though those were in shorter supply as the '90s rolled on)... it's impossible to think of this book as anything other than "Jim Lee wanted to create a third property but nobody had the originality to think up of something new". So you get countless people with simple, one-word names and the most basic powers imaginable, wearing plain outfits. Like he put all his GOOD designs into WildC.A.T.s and then Gen-13, while this just got "this guy is named Winter and he's generic-looking; this guy is named Battalion and he's generic-looking but black", etc.

In Image, it actually kind of stands out for being such a typical superhero book instead of Edgelord Mayhem & Blood, but it's possibly the least-original, least-exciting property of Image as a result.
Jabroniville

Hellstrike

Post by Jabroniville »

I... guess this is all the same character.

HELLSTRIKE (Nigel Keane)
Created By:
Jim Lee & Scott Clark
First Appearance: StormWatch #1 (March 1993)
Role: Anti-Hero
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None
'90s Ratio: 5/10 (flying blaster)
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Cop) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Communications, etc.), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Plasma Blast 8 (Feats: Split) [17]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Offense:
Blasts +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Pure Energy)- At some point, Hellstrike gains different powers and becomes an Energy Being that can be dispersed if his containment suit is broken.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 9 (112)

-A blue-skinned Scottish cop who gained "Seedling" powers from a passing comet- he was changed again by the villain Deathtrap, turning him into pure energy. From then on, he became a "Containment Suit Guy" who had to wear a costume or be dispersed. He's... get this- another Flying Blaster!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, unfortunately Stormwatch had potentially one of the best set-ups in the early Image line-up, but an ill-defined team focus, mostly forgettable roster, and no particularly memorable villains rendered the book third-tier at best, until Warren Ellis came on board and did a top-down revamp. And even this was quickly superseded by The Authority. That title's brilliant potential got squelched by quickly-escalating "flanderization" of the cast, along with dreadful real-life circumstances of the era.

Of the Stormwatch crew, I think Diva II (lookalike sister of the original), Flint, and Fuji had the most potential, though only the last had any sort of interesting visual.

All my best

PS: Hey, check out this link for what was essentially a proto-Image in terms of style, though on a much smaller scale and with far less in production values:

https://heykidscomics.fandom.com/wiki/S ... olf_Comics

An independent press company staring in the mid-1980s, ALL the characters were super-edgy and hardcore, with gore and sexual content dialed up, short on characterization, plot, and scripting. But a number of pretty good artists worked on the line-up, including the then young Tim Vigil.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Reading the early issues of Stormwatch again shows how much effort was being put into making Image feel like a shared universe. A bad guy from Union showed up to attack the team, and a frickin Daemonite showed up to cause trouble, which resulted in Backlash leaving the team.

Jabroniville

Flint

Post by Jabroniville »

... this doesn’t suck.

FLINT (Victoria N'Gengi)
Created By:
Jeff Marriott & Ron Lim
First Appearance: StormWatch #28 (Sept. 1995)
Role: Super-Durable Chick
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Frenzy (looks fairly similar and has similar powers)
'90s Ratio: 6/10 (cleavage-baring babe)
PL 10 (108)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack 2, Equipment (Communications, etc.), Power Attack

Powers:
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) [15]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Quickness 6 [6]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 5 (108)

-Flint was a generic black girl added to StormWatch, and was at first given a mega-fanservicey outfit that showed a ton of cleavage. Flint is unusual in that despite being a very minor character to got little focus, she actually SURVIVED the massacre in the Aliens crossover with only minor burns, landing on Earth and warning StormWatch of the impending threat! She was not included on the team during the shift to The Authority, but later turned up on a "Team Achilles" squad of ex-SW operatives. She ended up marrying the guy who founded the team, Benito Santini, but was trapped on a parallel world that had been cleared of all life. She eventually left Santini, and joined the newest version of the Authority.

-Flint is apparently super-strong and more focused on Quickness than Speed, but is mostly known for her remarkable durability- one bio overdoes it to the point of calling her invincible, but another is just like "No, she's super-durable", overall making her a PL 8 fighter with PL 10 defenses.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Union

Post by Jabroniville »

Jim and those masks I swear to god.

UNION (Ohmen)
Created By:
Jim Lee, Michael Heisler & Mark Texiera
First Appearance: Union #1 (June 1993)
Role: Flying Brick, Cosmic Hero
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None
'90s Ratio: 3/10 (Jim Lee "Hair-Showing Mask")
Group Affiliations: StormWatch, The Authority
PL 12 (204)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Alien Soldier) 7 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Technology 4 (+7)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"The Justice Stone"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) (Extras: Affects Others) [20]
Senses 4 (Life Awareness- Radius & Ranged 2) [4]
"Plasma Field" Force Field 4 [4]

"Energy Absorption" Blast 16 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy) (Flaws: Source- Absorbed Blast for 6 Ranks) (28) -- [30]
  • AE: "Plasma Staff" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (3)
  • AE: Deflect 14 (Extras: Reflect, Redirect) (Flaws: Limited to Energy) (21)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Plasma Staff +9 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Plasma Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Absorption-Boosted Blast +8 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +11 (+15 Force Field), Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Protecting Others)

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 76 / Defenses: 9 (204)

-Okay, never heard of this guy before. Union is an alien hero who protects the war-torn planet of Agena while a member of "The Protectorate". He was tricked into getting teleported to Earth, where he forged a life for himself as a superhero. He fought a few of Image's super-heavyweights like Mr. Majestic & Supreme, and finally merged with his own "justice stone" to gain more powers. He fought agents of the Directorate (opponents on Agena), and became a reserve member of StormWatch, but was fired by an insane Henry Bendix. He later turned up in The Monarchy (a spin-off book), having been forced to commit suicide by a psychic serial killer. He was resurrected by Jackson King, which changed his appearance & demeanor (that is always so dumb- like "Well I wanted to use the old character, but also wanted him to be completely different"), and he started capturing and torturing the Monarcy's enemies for information. The Monarchy was later retconned, so maybe this never happened.

-Union is apparently a Flying Brick with an "Energy Absorber" power-set (though Ares says it works more like Reflection than Absorption), but he also has an Energy Staff and things like that. So basically a grab-bag of powers like a good Alien Cosmic Hero should have, but I dunno how powerful he's supposed to be. Images on ComicVine show him brawling with Majestic, so he's obviously a tough dude, and was I guess a representative of Image in the crossover with Valiant Comics.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Fuji! Diva! Hellstrike! Flint!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:23 pm
Powers:
"The Justice Stone"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Immunity 10 (Energy Damage) [10]
Senses 4 (Life Awareness- Radius & Ranged 2) [4]
"Plasma Field" Force Field 4 [4]

"Energy Absorption" Blast 14 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy) (Flaws: Source- Absorbed Blast for 4 Ranks) (24) -- [25]
  • AE: "Plasma Staff" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (3)
A few suggestions I'd recommend.

Union definitely deserves Life Support, as he was capable of flying through space easily. He could even extend his Life Support to others.

I'd consider replacing Energy Immunity with Deflect, since Union could actively be damaged by other energy attacks, including other Justice Stone wielders. However, he could actively deflect, reflect and redirect such attacks, which seems to fit here. Deflect could also be used to simulate the whole Energy Absorption thing, as he'd need to Deflect an energy attack before being able to use the boosted blast.

He might actually warrant a higher PL and attack bonuses. Union was pretty powerful, and overall an interesting take on the whole "Green Lantern/Rom Space Knight" concept.

You had a society that figured out how to bond these unique stones to people, allowing them to fly, increasing their strength and toughness, let them survive in outer space, and let them summon a staff that let them manipulate energy. And the planet was split between those who wanted to use the stones to protect the people of their empire and their allies, and those that wanted to use the stones to conquer neighboring systems and increase their personal power. Union wound up stranded on Earth after a battle with the renegade faction that had been using Earth as a secret outpost, and in typical hero fashion, opted to stay and protect it. And naturally he got himself a human girlfriend who taught him about Earth culture. It was this weird combo of unique and by the numbers, and actually avoided a lot of Image extremism. Just a shame the initial series had such jarring art.

One of the renegades of Union's people showed up in Stormwatch and proved dangerously effective, taking on the entire team before eventually being driven off.

So Union was pretty powerful. He was sort of a hybrid of Thor and Green Lantern, and was able to fight both Majestic and Supreme to a standstill (though to be fair, this was Thor's Hammer Supreme). Even when drunk off his butt he could also slap Savage Dragon around without really trying. During the Image/Valiant crossover, Union wound up being the Image Universe's champion, moreso than even Supreme, and was vital to saving both universes.

The Thor comparison is pretty apt, as he seemed to be more about less personal raw power/durability and more about being a skilled warrior with a powerful weapon. His staff let him do melee damage comparable to the big guys, but he tended to fight more like Thor than just slug it out, being an attack / parry / deflect / counter attack kind of guy.

The outfit is okay, but something about the short sleeves on his shirt just makes him look like he's in casual wear. Tweak it a little and it works just fine.

It's kind of weird just how many Image characters had white hair. Union, Zealot, Glory, Supreme, Backlash, Winter, Apollo, Riptide, Super Patriot, Lord Emp, it seemed like white hair, especially the long, flowing kind, was a common feature of Image heroes. Though white hair definitely is striking when done right.

It's kind of a shame Image was overall lacking in cohesion, despite the early attempts at making it feel like a complete setting. It had plenty of aliens to populate it's cosmic scene, with the Kherubim, Daemonites, the alien races Union, Pitt, Kombat and Photon belonged to, the aliens Supreme encountered on his travels, etc. The whole "Seedling" thing in Stormwatch could have been an easy way for other aliens to have their own superpowered champions without them all being "every member of our species has the same powers" aliens. Combine that with some of the later inclusions like Invincible and Tech-Jacket and the Image space scene could have been really interesting.

Overall I think Union could have worked well as Image's main "cosmic hero", and been an interesting twist on the Green Lantern concept by having this group of guys who flew around space manipulating energy, but tended to fight more like Thor as these skilled, weapon wielding flying warrior bricks. Like a lot of Image, a bit more work and he would have been a solid character.

Ian Turner

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Fuji! Diva! Hellstrike! Flint!)

Post by Ian Turner »

Ares wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:19 pm Overall I think Union could have worked well as Image's main "cosmic hero", and been an interesting twist on the Green Lantern concept by having this group of guys who flew around space manipulating energy, but tended to fight more like Thor as these skilled, weapon wielding flying warrior bricks. Like a lot of Image, a bit more work and he would have been a solid character.
With the Deflect and the energy weapon manifestation, Union feels like a precursor to Freedom City's own Star Knight, even more than a Green Lantern/Quasar riff.

And yeah, Image character beat #1, 'with some actual fleshing out, this could be a good character...'
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Fuji! Diva! Hellstrike! Flint! Union!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, I modified Union as per Ares's comments. Characters like this are nearly impossible to stat without being familiar with the source material, as bios on Image guys have next to nothing sometimes. It's part of why the rest of StormWatch will just be a post full of names and a sentence or two each.