Jab's Dinosaur Builds!: Prosauropods! Plateosaurus!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Dugong

Post by Jabroniville »

DUGONG (Dugong dugon)
Role:
Motorboat Meat
PL 2 (14)- Minion Rank 1, Sidekick Rank 3
Normal Version:
PL 0-1
STRENGTH 2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY -3
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Perception 2 (+2)
Stealth 6 (+1 Size)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Fat Body" Protection 2 [2]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 1 [1]
Swimming +2 (Flaws: Limited to Short Bursts) [1]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +7, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dugongs cannot speak to humans, nor use their flippers to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable (Cold Water)- With a low metabolic rate, Dugongs are vulnerable to cold water.

Total: Abilities: -18 / Skills: 13--6.5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 16.5 / Defenses: 9 (14)

Era: Modern
Range: Eastern Africa & South Asian coasts.
Stereotypes: Good-natured, lazy.
Colouring: Grey/white/pink
Size: Up to 10 feet long (400-2,500 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Variable- Solitary to 200.
Diet: Plants & vegetation.
Tactics: Tries to avoid things.

-Similar in size to the Manatees are their close relative, the Dugong. It lives far from the other Sirenians, occupying the coastal waters of East Africa and most of Asia's southern coast, enjoying easily the widest range of anything in its order. They are distinct from Manatees in that their tails are fluked instead of sporting a giant "paddle". It also has simply peglike molars and a downturned snout, owing to eating different kinds of plants. It is the only remaining animal in the family Dugongidae, with the Steller's Sea Cow having been hunted to extinction in the 18th century.

-Dugongs rarely exceed 10 feet in length, and usually weigh 500-926 lbs., but the largest recorded was 2,240 lbs.! Like Manatees, they can be very long-lived- the oldest known Dugong lived to be 73.
Jabroniville

Steller's Sea Cow

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah- they were THAT big.

STELLER'S SEA COW (Hydrodamalis gigas)
Role:
Extinct Super-Sirenian
PL 4 (23)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 1-3
STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 7 AGILITY -3
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Perception 2 (+2)
Stealth 6 (-2 Size)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Fat Body" Protection 2 [2]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 1 [1]
Swimming +2 (Flaws: Limited to Short Bursts) [1]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic, Arctic) [4]
"Buoyant" Features 1: Will Not Sink Naturally [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 5 (Str & Sta +5, +5 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Sea Cows cannot speak to humans, nor use their flippers to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -18 / Skills: 13--6.5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 23.5 / Defenses: 11 (23)

Era: Recently Modern
Range: The Commander Islands (Eastern Russia)
Stereotypes: Good-natured, lazy.
Colouring: Brownish-black.
Size: Up to 30 feet long (8-10 tons)
Encounter Groups: Variable- Solitary to large groups.
Diet: Plants & vegetation.
Tactics: Tries to avoid things.

-Among the most notable extinctions of the past few centuries, the Steller's Sea Cow represents one of the few times a species was discovered, described, and rendered extinct within a very short period of time, all due to human interactions. These were absolutley MASSIVE Sirenians, closely related to the Dugong, who grew up to 30 feet long and weighed 8-10 tons! And trust me, it's noticeable when you see the remains of one in person- a Sea Cow skeleton at the British Natural History Museum was stupendously huge- so large that you couldn't full grasp just how big it was, as it was pressed up against a wall and you couldn't see the entire thing in your whole field of view at once.

-The Steller's Sea Cow was discovered by Georg Wilhelm Steller in the 1700s, who encountered it while shipwrecked on Bering Island- the man described and recorded the Sea Cow, and within 27 years, the animal was extinct. Slow-moving and easily caught, they were easy prey for humans, who ate its meat and used its hide. It's likely they were never terribly common (with only 1,500 alive by Steller's discovery), and it's thought that its food supply was dwindling in the area (possibly due to otter hunting, as otters hunted sea urchins, which proliferated without them, and consumed the Sea Cow's food- kelp). It thus stands as a remarkable symbol of mankind's greed and appetites- such a huge creature disappearing so quickly really made a mark.

-Sea Cows had no teeth, but instead tore off plant matter using bristles in their jaws, and finished them off with grinding plates in their mouths. Their bodies were unusually buoyant, rendering them incapable of fully submering- it's thought that this was defense against Killer Whales and other predators which might seek to drown them.
Jabroniville

Prorostomus

Post by Jabroniville »

PROROSTOMUS:
-The early evolution of Sirenians is only barely understood. They evolved from hoofed, four-legged mammals, and they slowly lost their hind limbs over time (even now, vestigial toenails are found on their flippers). Porostomus was only five feet long, and was largely terrestrial, though only a handful of bones have ever been found.
Scrollreader

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Elephant Seal! Manatee! Steller's Sea Cow!)

Post by Scrollreader »

I still remember the Sea Cow from my Kipling. Such a sad fate, but being big is a huge advantage in the natural kingdom ... Right up until humans get involved. Maybe your Neanderthals or Early Man should have Favored Enemy: Megafauna.
Jabroniville

Rodents

Post by Jabroniville »

ORDER- RODENTIA
-This much-hated Order is the most populous by far- taking up 40% of all mammalian species- and one of the most adapatable. They can live anywhere, do many things, and breed like crazy, making up for their short life spans and weak bodies. Rodent means "to gnaw", and that's what they do. Their gross, sharp teeth peel slices off of various things, causing humans all sorts of grief.

A tricky thing with statting rodents, or anything of extremely tiny size, is that stat differences are almost meaningless at such a tiny size. A mouse and a rat are vastly different animals, the latter of which being 100 times more likely to win in a fight, but compared to a human, both are neglible threats that can be killed with a single stomp. As such, they're near-identical.

Danger to Humans: Physically, it's pretty minor, as most of them are far too small to do major damage to anything besides a helpless infant. There's at least one recorded fatality at the teeth of a Beaver, and the heavier Capybara could also do some damage if required, but for the most part, rodents aren't dangerous. But their rapid-breeding and omnipresence can lead to them being carriers of disease- they've helped bring things like the Bubonic Plague to humanity, and have thus been responsible for more deaths than any other creature on this planet aside from maybe mosquitos. And never mind how much destruction they cause to crops- one of the greatest signs of industrialization is the manner by which a society is able to hand its pest problem- rodents & insects alike.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Scrollreader wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:01 pm I still remember the Sea Cow from my Kipling. Such a sad fate, but being big is a huge advantage in the natural kingdom ... Right up until humans get involved. Maybe your Neanderthals or Early Man should have Favored Enemy: Megafauna.
Oh yeah- the ancestors of every human group pretty well slaughtered everything big, everywhere they went. Only the ones who grew up with us managed to survive, which is why Africa still kept most of its large animals.

We annihilated the mammoth, mastodon, cave bear, saver tooths, and American lion up north. South America lost the giant sloth and glyptodonts. Australia and co. lost the most and Haast’s Eagle.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

That might be a fun set of builds- hominids across the ages.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:15 pm
Scrollreader wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:01 pm I still remember the Sea Cow from my Kipling. Such a sad fate, but being big is a huge advantage in the natural kingdom ... Right up until humans get involved. Maybe your Neanderthals or Early Man should have Favored Enemy: Megafauna.
Oh yeah- the ancestors of every human group pretty well slaughtered everything big, everywhere they went. Only the ones who grew up with us managed to survive, which is why Africa still kept most of its large animals.

We annihilated the mammoth, mastodon, cave bear, saver tooths, and American lion up north. South America lost the giant sloth and glyptodonts. Australia and co. lost the most and Haast’s Eagle.
I don't think that's entirely true though, granted we as a species may have hastened the end of some species in certain areas but the truth is the vast majority of them were already in decline due to natural climate change causing the loss of their favoured habitats.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I guess I should make note of the fact that we're done the Carnivore builds. When I started this a full six months ago (!!), I intended to re-post all my old stuff (starting with, naturally, the charismatic and famous Carnivores), plus fill whatever gaps I'd left. With the Carnivores, I attempted to get EVERYTHING. Obviously, this is unfeasible for animals like rodents or insects, numbering in the hundreds or thousands in each group. So the Carnivores will probably be the most complete set on here. I'll likely have the other "big name" animals listed, but probably grouped up like I did the "Wildcats" and stuff.
Jabroniville

Mouse

Post by Jabroniville »

MOUSE
Role:
Horde Animal, Urban Pest
PL 0 (14)- Minion Rank 1, Sidekick Rank 3
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -5 STAMINA -5 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING -2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+5)
Close Combat (Bite) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5

Powers:

"Fun Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (6 inches) [25]
(-3 Strength, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-5 Damage, DC 10)
Bite +5 (-5 Damage, DC 10)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -5, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Mice cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Reputation (Pest)- Mice are notoriously prone to disease, and are exterminated wherever they are seen in the civilized world. Many people are naturally frightened of them just by their appearance- they don't even have to do anything.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Mice are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a rodent effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 5 (14)

Era: Modern Day
Range: Anywhere there are people.
Stereotypes: Evil, diseased plague-hordes. Harmless innocents.
Colouring: White, grey, brown, black
Size: Up to 12 inches long (less than a pound)
Encounter Groups: Hordes of two to hundreds.
Diet: ANYTHING.
Tactics: Flee at all costs, rarely biting savagely with rodent teeth.

-Mice have a very peculiar status in human society and pop culture- they're typically hated as pests and devourers of crops, and nobody wants one in their house, but their tiny size and status as a major prey species for hundreds of the world's top predators also gives them a bit of a reputation as the ultimate "Little Guy". Characters like Mighty Mouse represent the human desire to see heroism in these tiny lil' buggers, and you can also find stuff in Redwall, Mickey Mouse and other fictionalized forms. The "Mouse-Like Rodents" are the Suborder Myomorpha, and features *1,137* unique Species!!

-Mice have become the ultimate invasive species, along with rats- they're the most wide-ranging creature on Earth, after us. Their rapid breeding allows them to reproduce en masse and positively bury certain places, including rising to enormous proportions in Australia (where they kill millions of dollars worth of crops yearly), and even being pests on numerous small islands, where the bird populations had no known predators, and were thus unable to defend themselves against a tide of rodents- tiny mice will simply bite Albatross chicks to death, despite the massive size difference, for example.

-A Mouse is truly shrimpy: -5 to damage AND Toughness, it can't hurt much and can be killed by just about anything. It's even less durable than the Rat! There are almost countless kinds of mice, but are all around this level.

-Note the "Small Size" Complication. It's my way of utilizing the old flaw in Small characters. I figure a Complication should handle it.
Davies

Re: Mouse

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 am
Reputation (Pest)- Mice are notoriously prone to disease, and are exterminated wherever they are seen in the civilized world. Many people are naturally frightened of them just by their appearance- they don't even have to do anything.
Many people, and elephants, apparently.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Tiny Rodents

Post by Jabroniville »

Lemming.

TINY RODENTS
Role:
Horde Animal, Urban Pest
PL 0 (14)- Minion Rank 1, Sidekick Rank 3
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING -2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5

Powers:

"Fun Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (6 inches) [25]

Offense:
Initiative -2

Defenses:

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Rodents cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Reputation (Pest)- Rodents are notoriously prone to disease, and are exterminated wherever they are seen in the civilized world. Many people are naturally frightened of them just by their appearance- they don't even have to do anything.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Rodents are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a rodent effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 5 (14)

-The notion of statting up the 400+ species of Rodents is a bit beyond even me, but here are some similar animals to the Mouse:

Tiny Rodents:
LEMMING: The notion of suicidal lemmings is a myth brought on by years of misunderstanding- during years of overly large population booms, Lemmings often migrate in huge numbers, sometimes crossing bodies of water. As this is highly dangerous, it gives the impression of suicide. The high amount of fluctuation in their population also contributed to this. The famous shots of them jumping off of cliffs were set up by documentarians for Walt Disney, who didn't care about accuracy.

VOLE: Related to Lemmings & Hamsters, Voles are similar to Mice, but will eat things like carrion as well as typical rodent diets. They exhibit unusual amounts of empathy for rodents, grooming other Voles that have been mistreated.

DEGU: Degus are gerbil-like animals who hail from Chile, and were kind of being pushed in the pet market many years ago, as Gerbils got less popular and they seemed a bit exotic.

TUCO-TUCO: Tiny, South American rodents named for their "tuc-tuc" sound made when burrowing. They're round-bodied and have lil' spindly tails.
Jabroniville

Desert Rodents

Post by Jabroniville »

DESERT RODENT
Role:
Horde Animal
PL 0 (16)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 4
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING -2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5

Powers:
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Desert) [2]

Offense:
Initiative -2

Defenses:

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Rodents cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Rodents are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a rodent effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 5 (16)

-This build represents a few species of mouse-sized desert rodents, many of which have become pets.

Desert Rodent Types:
GERBIL: They used to be everywhere in the '80s, but the Hamster eclipsed them in popularity- I recall a time when many Kindergarten & Elementary School classes had a Gerbil in a cage. Their long tails make them less-cute than Hamsters.

He looks SOOOOOOOO... SOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!

HAMSTER: Middle Eastern & Asian animals, unique amongst rodents for the sheer "D'AWWWWWW" factor. The key thing with Hamsters is that they have short, stubby tails, giving them squat, bearlike bodies- this makes them ideal housepets, avoiding the usual creepy comparisions that Rats & Mice have. Though known worldwide for being ideal starter-pets for children, owing to their ease of care (they only live about 3 years at maximum, though), they are incredibly-endangered in the wild.

DASSIE RAT: These rats live in rocky outcroppings in Africa, and have evolved with teats on the sides, so that pups can nurse while in narrow crevices.

GUNDI: Chubby, Pika-like rodents that live in rocky African deserts.
Jabroniville

Jerboa

Post by Jabroniville »

JERBOA
Role:
Desert Rodent, Fast Jumper
PL 0 (25)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING -2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 12 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5, Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Desert) [2]
Speed 3 (8 mph) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-5 Damage, DC 5)
Bite +5 (-5 Damage, DC 5)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness -5, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Jerboas cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Jerboas are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a rodent effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -34 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 7 (25)

Range: North Africa, Arabia & Asia.
Stereotypes: None.
Colouring: Brown.
Encounter Groups: Hordes of two to hundreds.
Diet: ANYTHING.

-Jerboas are fast-moving, desert-dwelling rodents hailing mainly from the Arabian Peninsula and close regions to that. They can hit 15 mph if being chased, and are known for their jumping gate. Close relatives include Birch Mice & Jumping Mice, all of which move via jumping. They all effectively take the Mouse build and add Athletics, Speed & Environmental Adaptation.
Jabroniville

Kangaroo Rat

Post by Jabroniville »

KANGAROO RAT
Role:
Fast Jumper
PL 0 (20)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 4
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING -2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5, Improved Initiative 2

Powers:
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

Offense:
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness -5, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Kangaroo Rats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Kangaroo Rats are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a rodent effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.

Total: Abilities: -34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 7 (20)

Range: Western North America.
Stereotypes: Probably Australian.
Colouring: Brown.
Encounter Groups: Solitary.
Diet: Seeds, plants, insects.

-Kangaroo Rats are mainly from western North America, and are similar to Jerboas in that they are leaping rodents, but they're smaller and slower. They're near-identical to Mice, but have a shot of extra Speed.