Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Doctor Faustus

Post by Jabroniville »

DOCTOR FAUSTUS (Johann Fenhoff)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Captain America #107 (Nov. 1968)
Role: Mind-Controller
Group Affiliations: The Red Skull's Employ
PL 3 (90), PL 7 (90) Skills
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 10 (+15)
Expertise (Psychiatry) 10 (+15)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+8)
Insight 10 (+14)
Intimidation 4 (+9)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 12 (+17)
Stealth 2 (+0)
Technology 4 (+9)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Lab, Hypnotic Equipment), Skill Mastery (Psychiatry), Ultimate Psychiatry Skill, Ultimate Persuasion

Equipment:
"Assorted Hypnotic Gear"
Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Cumulative, Progressive +2) (40)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Control)- Faustus gets off on controlling others- usually to get them to commit suicide.
Disabled (Crippled)- Faustus requires either crutches or a wheelchair for mobility- he cannot walk for very long without assistance.
Enemy (Captain America)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (90)

-Faustus played a big part in Ed Brubaker's excellent Captain America run, though he's been around for years. He's probably the pre-eminent hypnosis/controlling guy in the Marvel Universe, though his non-physical nature makes him less dominant overall, and he's not that famous. Most notably, all his controlling comes from equipment and his own psychiatric training, rather than something lazy like Telepathy or Mind Control powers- he WORKED for his talents. Though Moonstone is still the better "Evil Psychiatrist", mainly because she's hot as balls and has real super-powers.

-Dr. Faustus debuted trying to drive Captain America insane via nightmares and hallucinations, but Cap overcame him and easily won a physical contest against his scholarly foe. He later tried to manipulate the Carter family (including Peggy & Sharon), but was again beaten. He later appears losing to Spider-Man, then creates the Neo-Nazi group "The National Force". He once took away Mr. Fantastic's intelligence in a Marvel Team-Up issue as well (Reed, fittingly, pointed out he considered his super-powers expendable by comparison).

-He vanished for years, reappearing during the Brubaker run on Cap's book, brainwashing Sharon Carter into killing Cap, under orders from the Red Skull (only an occasional ally in old books). He ends up convincing the former 1950s Cap to become the National Force's new Grand Director, creating a new foe for Bucky-Cap, but soon quits the Skull's employ after frequent verbal abuse from the madman, and gives up crucial bits of information to Sharon Carter & S.H.I.E.L.D., undoing much of the Skull's plan. He even gets Bucky exonerated from assassinations committed while the Winter Soldier- during expert testimony in a trial, he hypnotizes the prosecuting attorney into attacking the judge, thus demonstrating the things you can force people to do!

-The character reappears a bit afterwards, showing up in Ms. Marvel trying to lace energy drinks and aerosol sprays with nanomachines that control minds, then joins HYDRA during Secret Empire, trying to convince Sharon that she loves even this new, evil Captain America who leads HYDRA. Sharon instead pretends to have been won over (stating she'd trained herself to become immune to his hypnotic voice), then shoots him!

-Faustus is one of those guys who works better as a Planner/Henchman type of villain, either making his own schemes or working for someone like The Red Skull. He's so good that he can actually force people like Sharon Carter to commit suicide, Daredevil to turn bad, etc. He usually uses a combination of his ludicrously-high Persuasion Skill, Psychiatry and Hypnotic machines (essentially Mind Control) to get what he wants, but God help him if he gets into combat- he's worse than most Mooks in that regard, especially now that he's crippled. His PL is kinda variable, as he tends not to use Hypnosis stuff in combat- he usually has people strapped to chairs or already helpless first. The degree and intensity of the Affliction will vary as well. Generally, he's one of those guys who you only meet at the END of his scheme, not the beginning.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Red Skull! Arnim Zola! The Exiles! Master Men!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 am It's funny, but as highly regarded as the Ed Brubaker Captain America run was, I don't know that I've read any issues of it myself. Part of it was I wasn't really happy with Marvel at the time. The Avengers had just been Disassembled and the New Avengers were proving to not be very good. Then Civil War happened, followed by One More Day, and it seemed like Marvel had become a miserable place. Thank God Immortal Iron Fist happened soon after or I might have just given up on Marvel entirely at that point.

In any case, from everything I've heard, Brubaker's run was very solid. Unfortunately, since I can only base my own opinions on what I've heard . . . it honestly kind of sounds like Brubaker wasn't really interested in telling Captain America stories. At least not stories about Steve Rogers. Instead, he had his original character, the Winter Soldier, that he wanted to really tell stories about. But how to get him into the Marvel Universe . . . got it. Retcon him into being Bucky, back from the dead. Only "everything you knew about Bucky was wrong", because he was actually this badass assassin character. And he's been used secretly throughout the last several decades and somehow Cap is only JUST now finding out about him. And at the earliest opportunity I'll make Winter Soldier the new Captain America and have him do all kinds of cool spy stuff with the Black Widow.

I get the idea of making the Winter Soldier Bucky so as to create immediate attachment to the character and give him some importance to Steve. But like I said, having Jack Monroe as the Winter soldier would have made a lot more sense. Jack had gone through a phase where he was this gun expert, he'd had his mind messed with multiple times, he'd been apparently killed multiple times, and he had some residual Super Soldier Serum inside of him. Having him be captured, brainwashed, even cyber-ized, trained and the like would have been an easy fix. Get someone like Zola to re-activate aspects of the Super Soldier Serum in him to make Jack peak human. Jack only having been the Winter Soldier for a few years could also more easily explain why Steve had never encountered him, unlike Bucky who'd apparently been operating in the 10-to-15 years Steve had been in the modern world. Jack's personality issues could make his Winter Soldier persona an easy hand-wave, and unlike Bucky, Jack is someone Steve would have legitimate guilt about failing.
LOL, I guess I shouldn't have asked your opinion without actually responding to you once you gave it. Though I guess most of my points were made in the "Bucky" bio I wrote anyhow...

In any case, yeah- Winter Soldier was the Pet Character in a lot of ways. Bucky was super-prominent and got to do all this cool stuff. He not only looked bad-ass, but he got props from NAMOR (who respected him as an old ally), hooked up with the Black Widow, and not only was it an "everything you know IS WRONG!" situation, but Brubaker put a permanent, never-changing stamp on continuity. Literally everything that annoys me about retcons and Pet Characters, all in one character.

Which is, of course, why my initial point in the bio is that "It's the worst idea ever, done correctly", because I loved the whole damn, self-indulgent thing, lol.

I hear you on Nomad, but it's pretty clear that A) Brubaker hated the character, B) he was kind of seen as a dated joke (he's one of my least favorite characters for that, lol), and C) it would have had far, FAR less impact. "Nomad is actually a Bad-Ass Brainwashed Russian Soldier and Cap Should Feel Guilty" is a fine story, to be sure... but "BUCKY is actually a Bad-Ass Brainwashed Russian Soldier and Cap Should Feel Guilty" is the kind of Main Event Slam-Dunk of a story a writer needs to draw REAL interest in his story.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Baron Blood! Sin! Crossbones! Machinesmith!)

Post by Davies »

I think Faustus was actually killed in the last issue of Nomad, though it obviously didn't take.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The weirdest thing about this "Captain America" set is that it's just INSANELY full of names. I mean, I think this is longer than any of the remaining Marvel sets by a considerable ways. Which is saying something, given how one that I still have to post here is the FANTASTIC FOUR.

I think part of it's just the Gruenwald & Brubaker runs just throwing in tons of guys in various arcs. So a lot of affiliated dudes are "Captain America"-themed, even if they debuted elsewhere. Then you get guys from say, the Englehart era, where Steve worked by himself and seemed to have his run of the place. Or Jack Kirby making Cap his own "Superspies & Weirdo Freaks" book, letting Thor be his "God book" and FF be his "Space book".

So there's this odd combination of creativity and guys having they own spot alone in the sandbox to play around in... which is incredibly weird, seeing as how Cap is part of the Avengers! Yet there's not nearly as much interaction between those two books as you'd think- the Falcon & D-Man only barely associated with them until Sam's recent push, and most of Cap's villains didn't cross over. The biggest one was U.S. Agent, and even then he was only in Avengers West Coast for a few years.

I mean, I've been at this for a couple of weeks and I've only JUST posted the whole Skeleton Crew, and am barely getting into the "Replacement Caps" set. First off, it'll be those Kommandos brothersale told me about. Then after that I move on to most of Marvel's "replacements" to the legacy of Captain America.

For the record, here's the two short-lived members of the Skeleton Crew:
Blackwing I (Joe Manfredi)
Jack O'Lantern II (Levins)
Jabroniville

The Vernichtungs Kommandos

Post by Jabroniville »

THE VERNICHTUNGS KOMMANDOS (Annihilation Troops):
Created By: Fabian Nicieza & Kevin Maguire
First Appearance: The Adventures of Captain America #1 (Sept. 1991)
Role: Nazi Supervillains

-This trio of villains showed up in The Adventures of Captain America, a possibly out-of-continuity series by Fabian Nicieza. They assaulted, tortured and killed people in order to try and copy the Super-Soldier Serum. Colonel Fletcher, who knew the secret of the Vita-Rays, was tortured for information, and the double-agent Agent X pretended to be tortured as well so he'd give up on her behalf. He beat up Blitzkrieg, but was recaptured by the Kommandos, who lured Captain America to them by committing mass murder. Fletcher committed suicide to avoid giving them the truth, dying in Cap's arms, and the hero assaulted the villains, killing Blitzkrieg & Saurespritze in the battle. The Red Skull killed Zahnmorder for his failure.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

What If... the Michelin Man was a Nazi?
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Blitzkrieg (Villain)

Post by Jabroniville »

BLITZKRIEG I (“Lightning War”, Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Kevin Maguire
Role: Nazi Supervillain
Group Affiliations: The Vernichtungs Kommandos
PL 8 (128)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack 2, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Blitzkrieg Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [37]
Protection 4 (4)
"Grounded" Immunity 5 (Electrical Damage) (5)
"Spear-Tipped Cable Guns" Blast 8 (Extras: Secondary Effect) Linked to Snare 5 (39)
-- (48 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Cable Guns +8 (+8 Ranged Damage & +5 Ranged Affliction, DC 23 & 15)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Nazis)
Power Loss (Immunity)- Blitzkrieg's armor can only protect him from his own electrical cables if it has a full seal. Damage during a fight puts him at great risk.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 7 (128)

-Blitzkrieg (sharing a name with a later German superhero) wore a suit that fired out long spears attached to cables, which he used to electrocute others. Appearing to be quite sadistic, he frequently electrocuted the guards of his targets, and beat up a captive Col. Fletcher, who ultimately escaped him by knocking him out of a building. He was unable to prevent Fletcher from committing suicide to avoid giving them information, but then executed a diner full of French citizens to lure Captain America into a fight. Cap engaged the villains, throwing Zahnmorder into Blitzkrieg, who lashed out at Cap with everything he had. The hero avoided taking damage, and ultimately booted Blitzkrieg down the stairs of the Eiffel Tower- the villain, whose suit had taken damage during the fight, was electrocuted by his own snares and killed.

-Blitzkrieg is a fairly durable, potent villain with a good trick, but ultimately proved vulnerable to his own weapon.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Saurespritze

Post by Jabroniville »

SAURESPRITZE (“Acid Gas”, Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Role: Nazi Supervillain
PL 8 (135)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Gas Tank & Uniform" (Flaws: Removable) [40]
Immunity 2 (Suffocation, Drowning) (2)
"Acid Gas" Damage 8 (Extras: Secondary Effect, Penetrating, Area- 15ft. Cloud) Linked to Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Affects Objects) (48)
-- (50 points)

Offense:
Acid Gas +8 Area (+8 Damage & Weaken, DC 23 & 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 9 (135)

-Saurespritze wore a scary-ass German gas-mask-themed uniform, marking him as a chemical weapons user- he frequently burned people using what may have been fluoric acid. Rarely speaking, he seemed to be the loner of the group, and didn't even get up to much. During the final battle against Captain America, he grabbed the hero from behind, and Cap leapt backwards through a railing- Saurespritze landed on his own tank of acid gas, which burned him alive.

-Of the group, he is the only one to reappear elsewhere- in a 2015 She-Hulk story, which features him as a generic Nazi villain who works with some traitorous American Bundists the in the early 1940s, including the brother of one of Steve Rogers' friends. Steve, still a 98-lb. weakling (this was Pre-Serum), is nearly killed, and his friend dies- the police ultimately save his life. This is said to be a prequel, as he joins the Kommandos later on.

-Saurespritze's acidic gas is very dangerous, though of course never hits a named hero. It probably doesn't help that his power can't really be used around his allies, forcing him to use melee attacks. Which aren't bad, but leave him vulnerable to counter-attack, one of which ultimately killed him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Zahnmorder

Post by Jabroniville »

ZAHNMORDER (“Tooth Killer”, Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Role: Nazi Supervillain, Sadistic Torturer
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Pain) [2]

"Hidden Tool-Gear" (Flaws: Removable) [4]
"Hidden Knives & Drills" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Subtle) (3)
Protection 2 (2)
-- (5 points)

Offense:
Knives & Drills +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Suit), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 9 (101)

-The head torturer of the Kommandos, Zahnmorder saw nothing wrong with causing indescribable agony to people. He murders a guard who shot him (painlessly pulling the bullet out), tortured a man to death, and murdered an entire diner full of French people to lure Captain America to them. He was shocked to see Saurespritze die in the battle, and lashed out with full strength against Cap, who fended off the remaining two Kommandos and escaped to the Eiffel Tower. There, Blitzkrieg died after being knocked down the stairs. Zahnmorder injured Cap's ankle with a hidden drill in his boot, but was knocked through a railing. Refusing to let go of Cap's leg, he was confronted by the Red Skull... who shot him through the head, for failing to take out Cap on his own.

-Zahnmorder is a vicious brute and a complete sadist, but needed trick weapons (themed around dentistry- his name means “tooth killer”) to even injure Cap, and even all the Kommandos at once couldn't bring him down.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Captain

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CAPTAIN:
-Having read through Mark Gruenwald's The Captain arc of Captain America 5-6 years ago, I got the whole story at last of how John Walker became a recurring character throughout the 1990s. In the story, Steve Rogers gives up the role of Cap after the government figures of "The Commission of Super-Human Activities" basically gives him a "take it or leave it" offer of becoming their personal soldier/errand boy in exchange for getting to keep the role (since they own it, and all). Rogers pretty quickly rejects their offer (he doesn't want to be the government's official servant, doing work for unknown interests), and becomes a nameless (I don't think anyone even calls him "The Captain", though his allies call him "Cap" still) vigilante in a cool black variant of his outfit, while the indignant Commission (they naturally assumed Steve would fall into line) gives the role to another hero, John Walker. As "The Super-Patriot", Walker was an upstart hero after taking "Power Broker" Treatment to gain superhuman strength, and he (along with three buddies, the Bold Urban Commandos, or BUCkies) only did a couple things (usually in the name of self-promotion) before the Commission offered him the position.

-Taking the offer pretty quickly (Walker was openly critical of Captain America as old-fashioned and out-of-touch, a gimmick they've been doing off-and-on in the comics for decades- this time, he was basically speaking for the uppity fans who wanted more "extreme" heroes), Walker undergoes a ton of training. His buddy Lemar gets to stay on as "Bucky", then "Battlestar", but the other two Buckies are cut loose due to past criminal ties. The Taskmaster makes John pretty effective, but he's still kind of a screw-up. He brings down a Watchdog group (anti-indecency conservative extremists who John admits are just an extreme version of his OWN beliefs) after some slip-ups easily enough, but he ends up killing another minor-league villain (Anthony Power). Then, when his old pals become Right-Winger & Left-Winger and reveal his identity publically, Walker's parents are shot to death by the Watchdogs right in front of him. Going on a murderous rampage immediately (he shoves the business-end of a rifle THROUGH A GUY'S FACE), Walker is still unstable, and beats the living hell out of a group of mutant Resistants as well.

-Eventually, Walker is fired by an irate Commission (it turns out that Red Skull was behind the whole thing, just to discredit the Captain America name, too- I almost prefer the "Government is a bunch of jerk-offs" angle myself), and Rogers takes the title back after Walker pleads to him that SOMEONE worthy needs to take the name. The Red Skull shows up, debuting the Steve Rogers Clone Body, but Walker turns the tide and gets the Red Dust of Death thrown in SKULL'S face, returning his familiar visage. Not a bad story overall, though there are weird bits. Kieron Dwyer's art looks REALLY poor in parts, mainly when Al "Half-Ass" Milgrom is inking him... Jesus, no WONDER some artists carry their own inkers along with them. I was amused by Cap's Party of Heroes, as Vagabond was a do-nothing, D-Man was a nice-to-a-fault amateur, and Nomad was a giant piece of crap blowhard who sucked. Seriously, he is an OMEGA-level prick here.

-This whole story of course served multiple purposes- it shook up the status quo (thus making us appreciate it more when it returns), helped boost sales (Gru admitted that this was when James Rhodes turned heads as the new Iron Man, and Beta-Ray Bill was in Thor), AND successfully gave us a "THIS is why Cap is the way that he is" justification (the exact same story played out when Jean-Paul Valley became the new EXTREEEEEEEEME Batman). Walker was a grittier, more violent replacement, but couldn't manage to handle the job. John Walker had a classic Gruenwaldian story, featuring him going through the army, hang out with his friends, all of them getting groomed and empowered by the Power Broker, and taking on his first super-heroic identity (as the Super-Patriot). If there's one thing Gru did really well, it was showing the "behind the scenes" stuff, of guys slowly making their rounds and learning stuff about the super-business.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Turner

Re: Zahnmorder

Post by Ian Turner »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:03 am -Zahnmorder is a vicious brute and a complete sadist, but needed trick weapons (themed around dentistry- his name means “tooth killer”) to even injure Cap, and even all the Kommandos at once couldn't bring him down.
A dentist? Wow, those Nazis really were evil!
kirinke

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Crossbones! Machinesmith! The Kommandos!)

Post by kirinke »

Not only that, a dentist who is also a professional torturer. That's low.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

kirinke wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:07 pm Not only that, a dentist who is also a professional torturer.
There's a difference?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Well, dentists try to make you better. Sure, it may hurt, what they do is to try to fix what's wrong. Torturers.... Weeeeellll. They break stuff and make it hurt as much as possible. To put it mildly.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Ares wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:14 pm
kirinke wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:07 pm Not only that, a dentist who is also a professional torturer.
There's a difference?
Only a little.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!