Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Boomslang

Post by Jabroniville »

The man... the myth... the legend. Just beautiful.

BOOMSLANG (Marc Riemer)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Kieron Dwyer
First Appearance: Captain America #341 (May 1988)
Role: Jobber Villain, Weapon Guy, Bad Even For This Team
Group Affiliations: The Serpent Society
PL 6 (64)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 2 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidate 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Boomerang) 3 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment (Serpent-Rangs), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Serpent-Rang), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Combat 3

Equipment:
"Serpent-Rangs" Ranged Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet, Split Attack) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Serpent-Rangs +9 (+2 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Reputation (Loser)- Even compared to the rest of the Serpent Society, Boomslang is a jobber. His own teammates treat him with disdain, and most super-heroes defeat him quickly.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (64)

-Well, when it came time for the very first of my 3rd Edition builds, and where better could I possibly start than Boomslang? This guy represents all that is both great and crappy about the Serpent Society- he's got a terrible costume (black hood with red arms?), a terrible concept (a boomerang guy who doesn't use specialized boomerangs other than "my boomerangs are shaped like snakes"), no personality, and he once got shot down and nearly killed by COMMON THUGS. But this is part of the appeal of this group- it's a handful of fairly-decent villains, balanced with the worst scrubs ever. Boomslang here is so bad that even the SERPENT SOCIETY felt he was too weak to join them, roughly making him the worst super-villain ever.

-Because of his lameness, he's the least-used amongst his team. Very few fights, very few appearances, and just about no characterization beyond "Generic sarcastic villain". In the X-Men/Atlantis Attacks Annual appearance, he throws some Serpent-Rangs at Wolverine, three of which miss, while the fourth deflects harmlessly off the head of Wolvie, who them makes a joke about Boomslang's Aussie accent and one-shots him. Running away from Cap in another story, he comes across "Tone-Def" and his gang of thugs- surprised, the hoodlums shoot him, and he nearly dies. He was injured for thirty issues, and only showed up again in group scenes. Despite this, he actually did pretty well in my Tournament of Suck.

-Boomslang is so bad that he disappears in 1990 when other Society members keep making new appearances, only showing up in the background of an A.I.M. weapons expo in another Gruenwald story. After this, he then spends TWENTY-THREE YEARS on the shelf, missing out on numerous "groups of Serpents reappear" stories, showing up only as a background character in the "Serpent Solutions" arc- he never even does anything worth writing down.

-Boomslang is as weak as they get for characters who aren't Minions. He's PL 5.5 on offense AND defense, making him a complete pushover for everyone from Captain America to Wolverine, both of whom have trounced him in moments while insulting him. I did a bit of converting and a bit of "Ground Up" work on him, and statted the Boomerangs out as something more akin to what they'd really be like- bending around corners and having a second chance to hit and such- I don't buy the DCA book's impression that "Boomerangers feint alot". His stats are low- at first, I built him at PL 7, but after doing a few hundred more 3e builds, I realized Boomslang was a bit too high- he jobbed to guys who were at-best PL 3 or 4, and no hero ever pretended like he was any good. He goes from PL 6.5 to 5.5.

Based on: Small green African tree snake
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds! (THE GAMECOCK! The Eel! Serpent Society!)

Post by Shock »

Boomslang is one of the few jobber villains to have a computer mouse named after him. Most of the others are also in the Serpent Society

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ever since they started going with the idea that people like Batman and Nick Fury wear a kind of "skintight bulletproof uniform", I've gone with the idea that any superhero who doesn't have some degree of superhuman durability, healing power or insane dodging ability is wearing some flavor of bulletproof uniform. Stuff like Boomslang shows why. People like the Scarlet Witch should definitely be going around in something that offers them some protection.

Incidentally, another example of Greu thinking things through was the issue where Boomslang got shot involved the kind of measures a prison would have to take for someone like Bullseye.

Kind of nice to showcase how a prison would work for a guy like Bullseye without some complicated "kinetic dampening field" around the cell that prevents anything he throws from leaving the cell at lethal velocity or something similar.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:41 pm Ever since they started going with the idea that people like Batman and Nick Fury wear a kind of "skintight bulletproof uniform", I've gone with the idea that any superhero who doesn't have some degree of superhuman durability, healing power or insane dodging ability is wearing some flavor of bulletproof uniform. Stuff like Boomslang shows why. People like the Scarlet Witch should definitely be going around in something that offers them some protection.

Incidentally, another example of Greu thinking things through was the issue where Boomslang got shot involved the kind of measures a prison would have to take for someone like Bullseye.

Kind of nice to showcase how a prison would work for a guy like Bullseye without some complicated "kinetic dampening field" around the cell that prevents anything he throws from leaving the cell at lethal velocity or something similar.
I've always thought that if serious vigilante heroes did exist, instead of the skin tight colourful costumes we see in the books they'd all be in flame resistant military type clothing (probably black) and body armour, they'd all look like a members of a police SWAT or armed forces anti-terrorist team. Even in the comics it would make sense that those who aren't bulletproof would wear bought (or stolen) police/military body armour, frankly some of those that are bulletproof could still wear it as not to end up with their clothes constantly being shot to shreds (I think I even remember someone saying as much to Luke Cage)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:09 am I've always thought that if serious vigilante heroes did exist, instead of the skin tight colourful costumes we see in the books they'd all be in flame resistant military type clothing (probably black) and body armour, they'd all look like a members of a police SWAT or armed forces anti-terrorist team. Even in the comics it would make sense that those who aren't bulletproof would wear bought (or stolen) police/military body armour, frankly some of those that are bulletproof could still wear it as not to end up with their clothes constantly being shot to shreds (I think I even remember someone saying as much to Luke Cage)
Well sure, but that's because we live in a world where someone can't train themselves to dodge bullets and we don't have fabrics that are basically bulletproof bodygloves. Superheroes are a combination of a lot of things, including a unique, identifiable look that lets everyone know who they are when they show up. Making everyone look like they wearing second hand SWAT gear is kind of boring.

For a while they also went with the idea that Unstable Molecules were also highly resistant to damage, so that got around a lot of issues.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (THE GAMECOCK! Serpent Society! Boomslang!)

Post by Ares »

Re-reading that Boomslang story also had a back-up story involving USAgent and Battlestar, showcasing how the Agent could still be a jerk but still have some character and humanity to him. When he finally gets to visit his parents graves and Battlestar lets John's sister know he's alive, there's real pain on John's face, and you remember that for all his bluster, he's someone who loved his country, tried his best to serve it, and it cost him dearly.

It's honestly kind of a shame Battlestar hasn't been used more. He's got a good look, he's superhumanly strong/tough, he's a skilled fighter, he's got a Vibranium shield, he's patriotic but in a different way than Cap or Agent, and he's much less of a jerk than the Agent is. He'd honestly be a good fit for a superhero team.

Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:22 pm Gamecock? The Eel? The Serpent Society? Does every hero have such phallic villains?
Hahaha, good point!
Jabroniville

Princess Python

Post by Jabroniville »

PRINCESS PYTHON (Zelda DuBois)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Amazing Spider-Man #22 (March 1965)
Role: Jobber Villain, Jobber Even Compared to Other Jobber Villains, Animal User
Group Affiliations: The Circus of Crime, The Serpent Squad, The Serpent Society
PL 6 (67)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Expertise (Circus Performer) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Persuasion 5 (+5)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Defensive Roll, Equipment (Cattle Prod), Set-Up, Sidekick 10 (Pythagoras- a Rock Python), Ultimate Skill (Persuasion)

Equipment:
"Cattle Prod" Affliction 5 (Fortitude- Dazed/Stun/Incapacitate) (5)

Offense:
Cattle Prod +7 (+5 Affliction, DC 15)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Reputation (Loser-Marrier)- Princess Python is notable amongst the super-villain community for being both a coward, and a woman who marries the loseriest of loser super-villains.
Relationship (Python)- Her pet rock pythons are beloved to her, and she becomes distraught when they are killed. Not that this keeps her from repeatedly throwing them at super-powered beings...

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (67)

PYTHAGORAS- Princess Python's Sidekick
PL 7 (48)- Sidekick Rank 10
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 10 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Crushing Pin, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Senses 2 (Infravision, Scent) [2]
"Snake Skin" Protection 2 [2]
"Sheer Length" Reach 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Snakes cannot speak to humans, nor use their tails to easily manipulate objects.
Disabled (Senses)- Snakes have poor eyesight & hearing.
Weakness (Cold-Blooded)- Reptiles are cold-blooded- that is, their bodies are the same temperature as the air around them. As such, they are slow & sluggish in cold temperatures, and will die quickly if left in winter-like conditions. They must warm up before they are any good.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (48)

-Princes Python is somewhat notable as a Serpent Society member, but is actually more iconic to the Circus of Crime, while also being kind of just seen as a "random sexy Background Villain". She debuted along with the rest of the Circus in the classic issue where Spider-Man is hypnotized into fighting Daredevil, and the two join forces to defeat the Circus, including strongmen, clowns, elephants and this lady- a snake-charmer using an actual SNAKE as her minion. Changing their name to the "Masters of Menace", they dump the Ringmaster and appoint the Clown as leader, but are again foiled by Spidey. The Circus reforms in several stories, becoming great "Journeyman Villains", appearing all over the place and fighting EVERYBODY- Hawkeye, Thor (hypnotized into helping them steal things- he saves her life and she's smitten as a result), and even disrupting the wedding of Yellowjacket and the Wasp!

-Later, she strikes out on her own, and Iron Man shockingly kills her snake by throwing it into a vat of acid! Granted, it was about to crush Tony's armor, but JESUS! A despondent Princess tries to throw herself into the acid after her beloved pet, but Tony's like "WTF?" and rescues her, suggesting she needs therapy. Curiously, she joins the original Viper & the Eel in the inaugural "Serpent Squad", but rejoins the Circus for stories against Luke Cage, the Hulk, and the Thing & his friends. Finally, she joins the fledgling Serpent Society, but she chickens out of their fight against M.O.D.O.K. and abandons the group. Beaten by Sidewinder for her cowardice, she is booted from the group. This is pretty much the nadir of the character, as she's exposed as not only a terrible villain, but a weakling and a coward, too.

-After another handful of stories (including being the master of ceremonies on Superia's cruise ship full of super-villainesses), she hooks up with Johnny Blaze, the former Ghost Rider, and actually falls for him- this doesn't last, and she joins other incarnations of the Circus/Masters. The most recent big thing she did was turn up at the funeral of Stilt-Man, revealing that she was his WIDOW! The boys treat this as a "loser schmuck done good" (since she's scorching hot and all), and she has a sympathy dance with the Gibbon- when the Punisher sets off a bomb at the funeral, she is blinded, and marries Gibbon to get in on his health insurance. Later, during his solo push, it's revealed that if she ever did love him, she had since stopped, as they'd grown apart owing to his "loser streak". In Young Avengers, she's revealed to be the mother of the new Executioner (... she has an ADULT SON? How old IS she?!?), but is killed when he discovers she's a super-villain.

-OH BUT WAIT- the very next writer is like "mmm, nah" and she's on the Shadow Council's Masters of Evil team. Finally, she's on the "Serpent Solutions" squad of the original, returned Viper, bringing her back to THAT team. She hasn't appeared with the Circus of Crime in forever- they've continued their jobbing without her, while she's now more of an "Elder Stateswoman" of Jobber Villains, so to speak.

-Princess Python is PL 6, her python PL 6.5, which is about right. They're at worst a minor annoyance for most super-heroes (though her python once grappled THE HULK and nearly beat him! Good old 1960s and their lack of obsession with power levels and feats...), which PL 6-7 properly represents, to me. Python here'd be completely useless, but she has that handy Cattle Prod. Pythagoras (or his later replacements... he dies a lot.

Based on: 20-foot Constrictor native to Africa & India
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Only in comics could frickin Princess Python have a background that contradictory.

Davies

Post by Davies »

She also rather heavily features in Paul Tobin's amusing romp through the early Marvel Universe, Doctor Doom and the Masters of Evil, where she basically plays the companion to Doom's Doc-- well, you know what I mean.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:14 am Only in comics could frickin Princess Python have a background that contradictory.
It’s really notable how like almost every loser villain... she misses the 1990s entirely, but spends the next 20 years doing “I dunno- whatever” one-offs, pointless things, major character shifts that are then ignored (the Gibbon thing), and then contradictory/retcon stuff.

I mean, comics are only barely better with MAJOR characters, but I feel I have to write stuff like that every time with the jobbers. Hence, three Sidewinders.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Any chance to see animal builds cross promotion? ;)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Goldar

Re: Princess Python

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:50 am Image

PRINCESS PYTHON (Zelda DuBois)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Amazing Spider-Man #22 (March 1965)
Role: Jobber Villain, Jobber Even Compared to Other Jobber Villains, Animal User
Group Affiliations: The Circus of Crime, The Serpent Squad, The Serpent Society
PL 6 (67)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Expertise (Circus Performer) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Persuasion 5 (+5)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Defensive Roll, Equipment (Cattle Prod), Set-Up, Sidekick 10 (Pythagoras- a Rock Python), Ultimate Skill (Persuasion)

Equipment:
"Cattle Prod" Affliction 5 (Fortitude- Dazed/Stun/Incapacitate) (5)

Offense:
Cattle Prod +7 (+5 Affliction, DC 15)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Reputation (Loser-Marrier)- Princess Python is notable amongst the super-villain community for being both a coward, and a woman who marries the loseriest of loser super-villains.
Relationship (Python)- Her pet rock pythons are beloved to her, and she becomes distraught when they are killed. Not that this keeps her from repeatedly throwing them at super-powered beings...

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (67)

PYTHAGORAS- Princess Python's Sidekick
PL 7 (48)- Sidekick Rank 10
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 10 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Crushing Pin, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Senses 2 (Infravision, Scent) [2]
"Snake Skin" Protection 2 [2]
"Sheer Length" Reach 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Snakes cannot speak to humans, nor use their tails to easily manipulate objects.
Disabled (Senses)- Snakes have poor eyesight & hearing.
Weakness (Cold-Blooded)- Reptiles are cold-blooded- that is, their bodies are the same temperature as the air around them. As such, they are slow & sluggish in cold temperatures, and will die quickly if left in winter-like conditions. They must warm up before they are any good.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (48)

-Princes Python is somewhat notable as a Serpent Society member, but is actually more iconic to the Circus of Crime, while also being kind of just seen as a "random sexy Background Villain". She debuted along with the rest of the Circus in the classic issue where Spider-Man is hypnotized into fighting Daredevil, and the two join forces to defeat the Circus, including strongmen, clowns, elephants and this lady- a snake-charmer using an actual SNAKE as her minion. Changing their name to the "Masters of Menace", they dump the Ringmaster and appoint the Clown as leader, but are again foiled by Spidey. The Circus reforms in several stories, becoming great "Journeyman Villains", appearing all over the place and fighting EVERYBODY- Hawkeye, Thor (hypnotized into helping them steal things- he saves her life and she's smitten as a result), and even disrupting the wedding of Yellowjacket and the Wasp!

-Later, she strikes out on her own, and Iron Man shockingly kills her snake by throwing it into a vat of acid! Granted, it was about to crush Tony's armor, but JESUS! A despondent Princess tries to throw herself into the acid after her beloved pet, but Tony's like "WTF?" and rescues her, suggesting she needs therapy. Curiously, she joins the original Viper & the Eel in the inaugural "Serpent Squad", but rejoins the Circus for stories against Luke Cage, the Hulk, and the Thing & his friends. Finally, she joins the fledgling Serpent Society, but she chickens out of their fight against M.O.D.O.K. and abandons the group. Beaten by Sidewinder for her cowardice, she is booted from the group. This is pretty much the nadir of the character, as she's exposed as not only a terrible villain, but a weakling and a coward, too.

-After another handful of stories (including being the master of ceremonies on Superia's cruise ship full of super-villainesses), she hooks up with Johnny Blaze, the former Ghost Rider, and actually falls for him- this doesn't last, and she joins other incarnations of the Circus/Masters. The most recent big thing she did was turn up at the funeral of Stilt-Man, revealing that she was his WIDOW! The boys treat this as a "loser schmuck done good" (since she's scorching hot and all), and she has a sympathy dance with the Gibbon- when the Punisher sets off a bomb at the funeral, she is blinded, and marries Gibbon to get in on his health insurance. Later, during his solo push, it's revealed that if she ever did love him, she had since stopped, as they'd grown apart owing to his "loser streak". In Young Avengers, she's revealed to be the mother of the new Executioner (... she has an ADULT SON? How old IS she?!?), but is killed when he discovers she's a super-villain.

-OH BUT WAIT- the very next writer is like "mmm, nah" and she's on the Shadow Council's Masters of Evil team. Finally, she's on the "Serpent Solutions" squad of the original, returned Viper, bringing her back to THAT team. She hasn't appeared with the Circus of Crime in forever- they've continued their jobbing without her, while she's now more of an "Elder Stateswoman" of Jobber Villains, so to speak.

-Princess Python is PL 6, her python PL 6.5, which is about right. They're at worst a minor annoyance for most super-heroes (though her python once grappled THE HULK and nearly beat him! Good old 1960s and their lack of obsession with power levels and feats...), which PL 6-7 properly represents, to me. Python here'd be completely useless, but she has that handy Cattle Prod. Pythagoras (or his later replacements... he dies a lot.

Based on: 20-foot Constrictor native to Africa & India
PP is such a loser. And while by no means a fighter, she did go up against 2 Avenger ladies.

Early in the Avengers, Wanda was shown exercising a few times and mentioning being trained in fighitng by Cap, doing handstands, tugging on wires, etc.

The first time, PP tried to choke Wanda from behind, while Wanda easily flipped her off, defeating her. After all, "I've been trained by Captain America himself!"

The next time was Jan during the Wedding of Yellowjacket and the Wasp. After having her python capture Jan in her wedding dress ( I'd guess not specially treated) and after Jan was rescued by a size-enhanced Hank, PP tries to run and flee, saying it is now or never. Jan slugs her one, telling her it's "never!", defeating PP. Ah, good times.... :lol:
Jabroniville

Rock Python

Post by Jabroniville »

ROCK PYTHON (M'Gula)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Kieron Dwyer
First Appearance: Captain America #341, May, 1988
Role: Jobber Villain, Gimmick Guy
Group Affiliations: The Serpent Society
PL 8 (115)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidate 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Throwing Eggs) 3 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Eggs), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Rock Hard Skin" Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 9) [12]
Immunity 1 (Heat) [1]

"Throwing Eggs" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
"Acid Eggs" Blast 6 (Extras: Secondary Effect) Linked to Weaken Toughness 4 (Extras: Ranged) (26) -- (30 points)
  • AE: "Steel Ribbon Eggs" Snare 8 (Feats: Split Attack) (25)
  • AE: "Smoke Eggs" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud) (8)
  • AE: "Razored Tangle-Wire Eggs" Snare 5 (15) Linked to Blast 4 (8) (23)
  • AE: "Plastic Explosive Eggs" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (21)
-- (30 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Acid Egg +8 (+6 Ranged Damage/Secondary & +4 Weaken, DC 21 & 14)
Steel Ribbon Egg +8 (+8 Snare, DC 18)
Smoke Egg +8 (Concealment)
Razor Tangle-Wire Egg +8 (+5 Snare & +4 Ranged Damage, DC 15 & 19)
Plastic Explosive Egg +8 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5 (+8 Skin, +4 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 9 (115)

-Rock Python's a pretty cool name, but this guy is wearing a set of purple tights with a big metal bucket on his head- not exactly the kind of things super-heroes are supposed to be afraid of. He was one of the more competent and "commen sense" Serpents, but that doesn't go a long way with this group- whole whole theme was throwing down snares and other gadgets as an "assist" type of guy. He's also an African wanted for crimes in his home made-up country (a South Africa stand-in with Apartheid and all that). His career highlight is actually nearly killing Captain America- he, Anaconda & Puff Adder were attacked, but Rock Python manages to wrap up Cap and drop him off the roof of a building- Cap would have been screwed if the Serpents didn't have to bail immediately!

-There was a humorous incident in an X-Men Annual where a small group trounces his allies while he recovers a "totem", and he triumphantly climbs the ladder, exulting over his victory. He turns around, sees the X-Men, un-convincingly describes his powers ("Well, I fling trick snake eggs... that shoot out steel ribbon on impact"), and gladly gives up the totem rather than take an ass-kicking ("Want to give us the totem?" "SURE! Here!"). His luck gets worse after the Society breaks up when M.O.D.A.M. throws him & Puff Adder from a Serpent Saucer just after they'd captured the B.A.D. Girls. He reappears a few times later, in Force Works, in the backgrounds of various Bars With No Name, and in "Serpent Solutions" in modern times, but has largely been background dressing since Mark Gruenwald died.

-Despite being PL 8 offensively, PL 7.5 defensively, Rock Python is fairly big and tough for a non Powerhouse-type build. With "rock-hard" skin able to let him survive long falls, bullets and fire, he's no push-over. His schtick beyond being tough is tossing out gadget-like "Throwing Eggs" of various types- running the gamut of ordinary Ranged Damage, Explosions (now just a Burst in 3e, apparently), Snares (including one with Razor-Wire, meaning it's a linked Snare/Blast at lower levels because it cuts AND ties), Acid (basically Secondary Effect adding to Blast and Weaken) and Smoke (now a Concealment Attack with flat cost instead of a Ranked Power). This makes him pretty versatile, but not overly strong at any one thing- he IS one of the only Serpents to best Captain America, though- he uses a distraction to grab Cap by an injured foot, and drop him a hundred feet to the pavement below (Cap lands Shield-first and only mildly injures himself). Naturally, the Society can't follow up because of a plot contrivance.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
scc

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sidewinder! Boomslang! Princess & Rock Python!)

Post by scc »

I admit as much as I love the Serpent Society I don't know a lot about Sidewinder. I didn't know his outfit had a blast. And that it provided protection. Was this always the case?