Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Mega-Foot! White Slayer! Gene-Splicers!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:50 am To give them a little credit, Palladium has released some artbooks. There was also ongoing talk about there being a big budget movie.

But, yeah, surprising how little public impact the game has had. It would be perfect for a mainstream treatment.
Kevin's small-time business-sense combined with the infamous deal with their Kickstarter campaign has probably made them a "no-touch" thing, even in Hollywood. Hell, since Kevin owns EVERYTHING associated with Palladium, I bet anyone who wants to make an IP out of it has to go through him directly. I can imagine that turns off even the most foolish of investors.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

No question. He's his own worst enemy.

After doing so many builds, do you have any metacommentary? Possibly some good guidelines if someone was going to run a Rifts game?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:20 pm No question. He's his own worst enemy.

After doing so many builds, do you have any metacommentary? Possibly some good guidelines if someone was going to run a Rifts game?
uh, I dunno. I'm not nearly experienced enough at GMing to give much. With my builds, you kind of see a general "base Power Level" with nearly every combat troop in the game being like PL 8. So good guys AND bad guys would all be at high levels of power, with barely anyone being a "Mook". It's tough to replicate.

If I was to REALLY run a Rifts game, I'd probably lower the base damage of everything to make them only SLIGHTLY better than modern stuff.
Jabroniville

Gurgoyle G-40 Super Bot

Post by Jabroniville »

GURGOYLE G-40 SUPER BOT: Toughness +18, FIGHTING +6, Ranged Attack +6, Speed 4, Microwave Beam Weapons (Burst Damage 11), Finger Lasers +13, Ball & Chain (Damage 13 Linked to Stunning Affliction 13), Mini-Missiles, 50 feet tall.

-This is a gigantic piloted robot vehicle used by the Gurgoyles against the NGR. Its preposterous size is pretty bizarre, even though the Gargoyle race is fairly large as a rule. With *2,500*+ M.D.C., it's one of the most durable things at this point in the setting- the bio indicates that its sheer durability is the key advantage it has, since it can whittle down anything in the time it takes to break though. It has a wide-arc +11 Burst Damage Microwave emitter, Finger Lasers, Missiles, and even a Ball & Chain that stuns victims as well as damages them. Bizarrely, the vehicle boasts TEN ATTACKS, regardless of the host's skills, I guess. This is like FIGHTING 14 or something, and is really nuts.
Jabroniville

Tarnow & Gear

Post by Jabroniville »

TARNOW GEAR:
-The Kingdom of Tarnow is the most populous nation left in Poland, and ruled by a King who was once kind and noble, but has been hardened by use of the evil Tarnow Crystal- a "Philosopher's Stone" that can transmute elements. It has gifted his kingdom greatly, but has slowly twisted him into wanting to invade the Gargoyle & Brodkil Empires (the latter killed his father). His Kingdom is truly fair to D-Bee inhabitants if they swear loyalty, and is wealthy owing to the Crystal turning regular, clunky metal armor into M.D.C. structures.

-Curiously, every single thing in here looks like it was drawn with a completely different art style, with a weird "Early Rifts Robot" design, smooth, organic-looking Power Armor, man-shaped stuff, etc., all mixed together. Usually some unifying design elements hold a culture's gear together, but not here. The boats are mostly designed by Vince Martin, giving THEM a unique look from the rest of the stuff, too!

"Tarnow Body Armor": Toughness +8.
-This armor looks clunky, but is light M.D.C. armor thanks to the magic of the Tarnow Crystal.

"Sting-Ray Power Armor": Toughness +11, FIGHTING +1, Damage +9, Speed 6, Swimming 6, Leaping 1, Immunity (Drowning, Pressure).
-Small, durable exoskeleton.

"The Sea Star": Toughness +16, FIGHTING +2, Aquatic, Immunity (Pressure, Drowning, Heat, Cold), Swimming 7, Missiles, Lasers +11, Unarmed +10, Sonar, Infravision, Signal Beacon.
-A shockingly-durable suit of armor- I mean, this is near Glitter Boy stats! The bio doesn't even indicate that it's that powerful.

"TC-R3 Missileer": Toughness +12, FIGHTING +2, Dodge +2, Speed 5, Tear Gas, Smoke Grenades, Mini-Missiles, Chest Laser +10 (Ext. Range 2), Unarmed Damage +11, Immunity (Drowning, Pressure), 25 feet tall.
-Huge salvage robots outfitted with riot/border-control stuff. It looks kind of ungainly, with a long torso and little spindly fingers, but the M.D.C. is tolerable.

"TC-R5 Gargoyle Stopper": Toughness +12, FIGHTING +5, Dodge +3, Speed 5, Improved Initiative, Head Weapons +13, Rail Gun +13, Energy Rifle +12 (Burst Damage), Missiles, Unarmed Damage +10, Radar, 22 feet tall.
-Obviously designed as an Anti-Gargoyle unit, these don't really have the durability to do it, if you ask me. Also, they can't fly.

VEHICLES:
-There's a Tank with +12 Toughness and a Blast 13 gun, and a series of boats and a mini-sub, each with about +11 Toughness and similar armaments to the tank. The Walesa Cargo Ship is MUCH bigger, with thousands of M.D.C. (+18 Toughness-ish), but it's a bigger target with fewer weapons (good Missile Launchers and Depth Charges, though).
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Tarnow & Gear

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:24 am

"Sting-Ray Power Armor": Toughness +11, FIGHTING +1, Damage +9, Speed 6, Swimming 6, Leaping 1, Immunity (Drowning, Pressure).
-Small, durable exoskeleton.
Man, everything Vince does looks cool enough that it could be it's own unique entity. That armor looks like it could belong to a superhero or the lead in some power armor anime.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Rifts Manhunter

Post by Jabroniville »

RIFTS: MANHUNTER (1994):
-I've literally never heard of this one before. Manhunter is actually a different property entirely, with Palladium working with Myrmidon Press to release this. The plot of Manhunter is that humanity planned on colonizing the stars, but came across the scientific Aglians... who attacked the humans and created an army of robots to contain them! Humanity naturally fought against this, leading an assault against the "evil Aglians"... except that it turns out the Aglians were a race of peaceful scientists who were SO HORRIFIED at how warlike and cruel humanity was, that they were desperate to contain mankind's travels through the stars! The Aglians later ordered the Manunters to stand down, but the robots refused, and are now a persistent threat through the galaxy, with the Aglians & humans now forming a joint government against them. The Manhunters were defeated after a huge war and have remained hidden for over fifty years. Now, they're returned, with various alien allies joining them.

This is a pretty dark, gritty take on the whole notion of "Humanity Is Special" by playing us up as vicious dicks, but it fits, especially for a game that debuted in 1988. Two more editions were released, with the 1994 one coming from Palladium, as Kevin Siembieda was impressed by their work. I dunno how well it did, but it was the last Manhunter product ever released... so maybe not?

Twelve alien races are selectable, and their cultures are very elaborately written here. This book is just PACKED with information- so much that I can't even hope to read it all. There are NINE varieties of Manhunter robot (though all are pretty similar and highly-powerful), a ton of Alien Races (most pretty simple to stat-out), and more than twenty O.C.C.s! I haven't sorted through those yet, but as it's supposed to be a world unto itself, that's understandable.
Jabroniville

Manhunter Mark I

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh dear- Fatal & Friends never reviewed this one. So there's no pics available online far as I can tell.

MANHUNTER MARK I
Role:
Kill-O-Bots, Frontline Fighters
PL 14 (187)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Perception 5 (+5)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Cannon) 2, Ranged Attack 9

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 11 (Total 15) [11]
Speed 6 (120 mph) [6]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Senses 9 (Infravision, Ultra-Vision, Extended Vision 2, Ultra-Hearing, "Radar" Ranged Radius Radio Sense) [9]
Communication (Radio) 3 (Extras: Selective) [15]

"Particle Beam Cannon" Blast 14 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (36) -- [37]
  • AE: "Mini-Missiles" Blast 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (36)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Ranged Attacks +13 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +15, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Programming)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 103 / Defenses: 21 (187)

-The large Mark I Manhunters are meant to intimidate and run down human adversaries, and are a ridiculous PL 13-14 in combat, doing tons of damage even unarmed (+13 is highly unusual, even for Rifts).
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Assorted Gear! Mindwerks Done! Rifts Manhunter!)

Post by Ares »

Ah, the old "strike first in self-defense" logic.

"Well, you see, you people are so barbaric by our own standards that we felt we had no choice but to create an army of killer robots and attack you completely unprovoked. If you'd just had the good sense to be civilized or to die when we attacked you, none of this would be happening now!"
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Manhunter Mark II (Liquidator)

Post by Jabroniville »

MANHUNTER MARK II- LIQUIDATOR
Role:
Kill-O-Bots, Infiltrators
PL 13 (187)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Spycraft) 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Protection 13 [13]
Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Senses 9 (Infravision, Ultra-Vision, Extended Vision 2, Ultra-Hearing, "Radar" Ranged Radius Radio Sense) [9]

"Pulse Cannon" Blast 13 (Extras: Penetrating 5) [31]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Ranged Attacks +13 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +13, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Programming)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 88 / Defenses: 14 (187)

-Smaller Mark II Manhunters are designed for infiltration of enemy installations- smaller than the Mark Is, they can get to places unreachable by others. Only marginally lower-powered than the Mark I, these are still PL 13 mega-threats.
Jabroniville

Manhunter Mark III (Claw)

Post by Jabroniville »

MANHUNTER MARK III- CLAW
Role:
Kill-O-Bots
PL 12 (184)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Cannon) 2, Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Protection 13 [13]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Flight 7 (250 mph) (14) -- [15]
  • AE: Speed 4 (30 mph) (4)
"Pulse Cannon" Blast 13 (Extras: Penetrating 5) (31) -- [32]
  • AE: "Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Claws +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Ranged Attacks +11 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +13, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Programming)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 100 / Defenses: 11 (184)

-Mark III Claws are designed to attack enemy ships by assaulting the crew within- a favored tactic is to pierce through the hulls of troop compartments, sending them to their graves with explosive decompression. They do +13 damage with their claws AND with lasers, and are about as tough as the Mark II is. Overall, they're PL 12 Blasters/Scrappers.
Jabroniville

Manhunter Mark IV (Fleshcoat)

Post by Jabroniville »

MANHUNTER MARK IV- FLESHCOAT
Role:
Kill-O-Bots
PL 11 (173)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Spycraft) 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Protection 11 [11]
Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Eye Lasers" Blast 9 (18) -- [20]
  • AE: "Chemical Spray" Dazzle Visuals 6 (12)
    AE: "Garotte Wire"
Offense:
Eye Lasers +13 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +11, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Programming)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 13 (173)

-Mark IV Infiltrators are wearing "Fleshcoats" that allow them to live in humanoid society- they are among the most complex intelligences of the Manhunters, and often lead Manhunter groups. They're the weakest Manhunters so far, but have the same attacks as the Mark I-II, making them PL 11 opponents regardless of their lower hitting power and durability (only 200 M.D.C.).
Jabroniville

Enforcer Mark 1

Post by Jabroniville »

ENFORCER MODEL MARK I
Role:
Kill-O-Bots, Frontline Fighters
PL 14 (190)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Perception 5 (+5)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Protection 9 (Total 15) [9]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

"Jetpack" Flight 7 (250 mph) (14) -- [15]
  • AE: Speed 6 (120 mph) (6)
"Particle Beam Cannon" Blast 14 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (36) -- [37]
  • AE: "Mini-Missiles" Blast 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (36)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+12 Damage, DC 28)
Ranged Attacks +13 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +13, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Programming)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 110 / Defenses: 21 (190)

-Enforcers are created by Manhunters resentful of their humanoid forms, finding them too similar to the humans they hate so much. These are considered expendable front-line fighters, sent in the first wave. They're about as potent as Mark Is in combat, but aren't as smart or durable.
Jabroniville

Hermit Recon Unit

Post by Jabroniville »

HERMIT RECON UNIT
Role:
Kill-O-Bots
PL 12 (171)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Cannon) 2, Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Protection 10 [10]
Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Pulse Cannon" Blast 13 (Extras: Penetrating 5) [31]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Ranged Attacks +11 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Programming)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 87 / Defenses: 11 (171)

-These are obviously Scouts- lightly-armored troops sent to planets to uncover defenses and the like.
Jabroniville

Manhunter NecroDemon

Post by Jabroniville »

MANHUNTER NECRODEMON
Role:
Slave Managers
PL 13 (172)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Protection 13 [13]
Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Scythe Blast" Blast 11 (22) -- [23]
  • AE: "Plasma Scythe" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10)
Offense:
Ranged Attacks +13 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +13, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Programming)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 11 (172)

-These skull-faced robots were built to manage the humanoid slaves of the Manhunters- they are thus slightly above man-sized instead of gigantic, and are deliberately made to look scary. They're honestly like something out of 2000 A.D. or whatever- just obnoxiously ugly and monstrous. They sport the same ludicrous number of attacks as other elite fighters, and do a ton of damage in melee as well.