Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Icon

Post by Jabroniville »

ICON (A'Kurru U'mbaya)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Scot Kolins
First Appearance: Excalibur #59 (Feb. 1992)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (143)
STRENGTH
0/5 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0/3
FIGHTING 2/8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Wooden Figure Transformation"
"Wood Form" (Activation -1) [-1]
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Agility 3 [6]
Enhanced Fighting 6 [12]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]
"Hand Weapons" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 4) [6]
"Transform Others to Wooden Figures" Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced & Dazed/Stunned & Compelled/Controlled & Transformed to Wooden Figures) (Extras: Continuous +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Hour) [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Wooden Form +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Wooden Weapons +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude +2, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Revenge on the Modern World)- Icon's daughter died of toxic waste poisoning, which Icon blames on the "modern world"- he now demands that his native Wakanda do everything possible to revert to its primal, wild state.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 102 / Defenses: 7 (143)

-Icon is a strange villain from the latter days of Excalibur, and is a Wakandan villain of all things. A brilliant chemist, his mind is shattered when his daughter dies of toxic waste poisoning outside of Wakanda, and he experiments upon himself, becoming a living wooden "icon". Declaring that Wakanda needs to throw off modern sensibilities and become primal like the "Dancing Icon" he's now become, he attacks an international conference about toxic waste removal attended by Black Panther, Captain Britain, Meggan, Captain America & Iron Man. He transformed all the Wakandans present into figures like himself, and held them hostage, demanding to be made Wakandan King, but Excalibur arrived to stop him. Annoyed, he noted that on any other day, Wakanda would have had ONE superhero present, but now there were several. He was easily defeated by the present heroes, who undid all of his machinations, and he transformed back to human form and collapsed at the Panther's feet, declaring himself a failure. So it's a pretty undramatic superhero fight, but a sad ending nonetheless, as T'Challa realizes what the man's lost. The character has never reappeared.

-Icon is a smart guy with an expensive power (transforming people into Mind-Controlled Wooden Warriors), but only PL 7.5 on his own.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Shanga the Star-Dancer

Post by Jabroniville »

SHANGA, THE STAR-DANCER
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Wilson
First Appearance: Marvel Two-In-One #79 (Sept. 1981)
Role: One-Shot Character
PL 11 (240)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 10 (+16)
Athletics 4 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+13)
Perception 7 (+8)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 4, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]
Regeneration 8 [8]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]
"The Matrix-Sense" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Limited to Important Points of Her Destiny) [2]
Senses 2 (Analytical Vision) [2]

"Living Energy" Create 15 (Extras: Impervious) (45) -- [47]
  • AE: Cosmic Blast 11 (21)
  • AE: "Mental Link" Mind-Reading 8 (16)
"Reconstitute Living Beings" Transform 8 (Living Beings to Alternate Forms) [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Cosmic Blast +8 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Finding Zhalla'Kia)- Shanga has been lost for centuries, after giving in to wanderlust and leaving her homeworld eons ago.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 122 / Defenses: 12 (240)

-A young Tom DeFalco created "Shanga The Star-Dancer" as a one-shot for the one-shot-heavy Thing series Marvel Two-In-One- she's a lost traveller with supreme Power Cosmic abilities, she found Earth while searching for the homeworld she'd left behind. Feeling a profound sense of arrogance, she decided to dissect someone to find a clue of her homeworld's location (!), and of course chose Alicia Masters, who just happened to be in a town alongside The Thing, and the town's superhero inhabitant, the elderly Blue Diamond. She arrogantly beats on Ben (since she can use her powers to recover seconds after her beating), but once he gets pissed, he makes short work of her, literally throwing the willing Blue Diamond like a missile at her, knocking her unconscious.

-The strain of the battle gives Diamond a heart attack, and he begins literally falling apart. Shanga threatens to blow up the entire planet, but the hero, tired of an empty life after he'd retired from superheroics, willingly submits to a transformative process. To her shock, she finds that he has the same sense of longing she did, and reconstitutes his body into pure diamond so they can go adventuring. She is later seen as a prisoner of The Stranger in a book written by... oh come on, you've been reading my thread long enough to know exactly whom would use such an obscure nobody. "The Stranger's Laboratory World in that Quasar Issue" is one of the biggest bizarre sources of these weirdos.

-The Thing makes a lot of comments that put The Star-Dancer in a class with The Silver Surfer, but that's just the writer pushing his new character- she gets pummeled pretty hard by Ben once he gets angry, and all of her comments about her own power aren't QUITE up to snuff (she threatens to blow up the planet, but isn't seen actually DOING IT, y'know?). She DOES have a variety of powers, and her Blasts are enough to stagger Ben (never mind her putting a giant invisible dome around a New England town), so she's TOUGH, but I'm not seeing anything beyond PL 11.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Vertigo! Malice! Nasty Boys! Mr. Sinister!)

Post by drkrash »

I read Jab's bio of Mr. Sinister and still don't understand it. I really dislike the character and tune out whenever he enters the plot. Once again, Ares ideas simplified things in a way that makes sense. Are comic writers' egos all so universally inflated that they have to make their own convoluted stamp on the X-Men? I used to love them and now I genuinely wonder when people tell me that the X-Men are their favorite part of Marvel Comics.

On a tangentially related note, I decided to re-read Claremont's X-treme X-Men. I like a lot of it, even recognizing that some it is pretty stupid. However, the theme of the series - contained right in that blurb at the start of every issue - is that all people (mutant and otherwise) are *human.* This theme makes the X-Men make more sense as comic book heroes rather than stand-ins for identity politics of your choice. Writers since then - and culminating in Hickman's excess - have bent over backwards to have the characters point out that they are *not human.* This makes little sense narratively, no sense scientifically...but it serves a political story-telling purpose.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Davies

Post by Davies »

drkrash wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm Are comic writers' egos all so universally inflated that they have to make their own convoluted stamp on [the characters that they write]?
I think that the answer must clearly be yes.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Goldar

Re: Icon

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 am Image

ICON (A'Kurru U'mbaya)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Scot Kolins
First Appearance: Excalibur #59 (Feb. 1992)
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (143)
STRENGTH
0/5 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0/3
FIGHTING 2/8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Wooden Figure Transformation"
"Wood Form" (Activation -1) [-1]
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Agility 3 [6]
Enhanced Fighting 6 [12]
Protection 7 [7]
"Hand Weapons" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 4) [6]
"Transform Others to Wooden Figures" Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced & Dazed/Stunned & Compelled/Controlled & Transformed to Wooden Figures) (Extras: Continuous +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Hour) [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Wooden Form +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Wooden Weapons +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude +2, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Revenge on the Modern World)- Icon's daughter died of toxic waste poisoning, which Icon blames on the "modern world"- he now demands that his native Wakanda do everything possible to revert to its primal, wild state.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 102 / Defenses: 7 (143)

-Icon is a strange villain from the latter days of Excalibur, and is a Wakandan villain of all things. A brilliant chemist, his mind is shattered when his daughter dies of toxic waste poisoning outside of Wakanda, and he experiments upon himself, becoming a living wooden "icon". Declaring that Wakanda needs to throw off modern sensibilities and become primal like the "Dancing Icon" he's now become, he attacks an international conference about toxic waste removal attended by Black Panther, Captain Britain, Meggan, Captain America & Iron Man. He transformed all the Wakandans present into figures like himself, and held them hostage, demanding to be made Wakandan King, but Excalibur arrived to stop him. Annoyed, he noted that on any other day, Wakanda would have had ONE superhero present, but now there were several. He was easily defeated by the present heroes, who undid all of his machinations, and he transformed back to human form and collapsed at the Panther's feet, declaring himself a failure. So it's a pretty undramatic superhero fight, but a sad ending nonetheless, as T'Challa realizes what the man's lost. The character has never reappeared.

-Icon is a smart guy with an expensive power (transforming people into Mind-Controlled Wooden Warriors), but only PL 7.5 on his own.
Is this guy related to the Idol Of Ikon? Or use it too? I remember reading something about it. I think both are Woodies.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I always thought that Claremont introduce Sinister as a way to put his seal on the X-Men and all the related storylines. At the time (roughly around Inferno), he had already lost control of several characters thanks to Louise Simmonson's X-Factor and she was about to (or had just) took over New Mutants as well. Moreover, Marvel had already vetoed several of Claremont's ideas for the long run and I'm pretty sure that the return of Jean Grey (something that Shooter bought from a then-fan called Kurt Busiek) pissed him off to no end.
Putting Sinister on the scene was a way for him to say "this is my turf, don't even think you can come here and one-up me".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm Are comic writers' egos all so universally inflated that they have to make their own convoluted stamp on [the characters that they write]?
Universally? No. It's definitely a trend with more modern writers though, especially the "superstar" ones. I know I sound like an old man talking about the good old days (hold on, there's some kids I need to shoo off my lawn), but some of my favorite writers were guys like Roger Stern who, while introducing new characters and concepts and having his own storylines (Hobgoblin, Monica Rambeau, Spider-Man vs the Juggernaut, the Masters of Evil Siege of Avengers Mansion) felt more like a custodian of characters trying to tell his own stories. There weren't any massive retcons, characters personalities and histories were taken into account, and the stories were written around the characters rather than changing the characters to suit the story. No massive retcons, no "everything you know is wrong", no extreme shock value stuff, etc.

Writers like Roger Stern, Kurt Busiek and Mark Gruenwald felt like they viewed the Marvel Universe as a living, breathing place with characters and a history, and tried to craft stories to fit the setting and the characters. And if they wanted characters to change, they'd develop those characters over time with storylines and the like. Writers like Jon Hickman, Mark Millar, Nick Spencer and Jason Aaron feel more like they have these stories they want to tell, and the Marvel Universe is just a vehicle for those stories, so they have no problem massively changing the setting, characters and the like to fit the stories they have in mind. And that wouldn't be a bad thing if they were doing stuff in their original universes and with original properties where they get to decide how their creations should act. By treating a setting and its characters (which have decades of history and characterization behind them) as essentially disposable, you're showing that you don't really value the property you've been given. See Disney Star Wars.

There's a reason why Robert Kirkman's Invincible series works as it's own property, rather than as a story about Superman being retconned as a Kryptonian infiltrator that kills the Justice League and Jon Kent has to step up as his dad's replacement.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:45 pm I always thought that Claremont introduce Sinister as a way to put his seal on the X-Men and all the related storylines. At the time (roughly around Inferno), he had already lost control of several characters thanks to Louise Simmonson's X-Factor and she was about to (or had just) took over New Mutants as well. Moreover, Marvel had already vetoed several of Claremont's ideas for the long run and I'm pretty sure that the return of Jean Grey (something that Shooter bought from a then-fan called Kurt Busiek) pissed him off to no end.
Putting Sinister on the scene was a way for him to say "this is my turf, don't even think you can come here and one-up me".
Given what I know of the background of Marvel at the time, that wouldn't surprise me. Claremont was basically in this pissing contest with John Byrne, and then Louise Simmonson came along, then Rob Liefeld came along, etc. Not defending Claremont by any stretch, as this whole mess seems incredibly petty bickering, showing that there have always been writers with issues working in comics. The more I hear about the behind the scenes of Jim Shooter's tenure at Marvel, then the more I feel for the guy, regardless of his faults. It sounds like he was constantly trying to placate a bunch of high strung children with enormous egos. Makes me wonder if Shooter shouldn't have gone into politics.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:16 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:45 pm I always thought that Claremont introduce Sinister as a way to put his seal on the X-Men and all the related storylines. At the time (roughly around Inferno), he had already lost control of several characters thanks to Louise Simmonson's X-Factor and she was about to (or had just) took over New Mutants as well. Moreover, Marvel had already vetoed several of Claremont's ideas for the long run and I'm pretty sure that the return of Jean Grey (something that Shooter bought from a then-fan called Kurt Busiek) pissed him off to no end.
Given what I know of the background of Marvel at the time, that wouldn't surprise me. Claremont was basically in this pissing contest with John Byrne, and then Louise Simmonson came along, then Rob Liefeld came along, etc. Not defending Claremont by any stretch, as this whole mess seems incredibly petty bickering, showing that there have always been writers with issues working in comics. The more I hear about the behind the scenes of Jim Shooter's tenure at Marvel, then the more I feel for the guy, regardless of his faults. It sounds like he was constantly trying to placate a bunch of high strung children with enormous egos. Makes me wonder if Shooter shouldn't have gone into politics.
My gut feeling is that Claremont felt that Marvel was doing him a disservice. When Lev Wein took over the X-Men back in the day, nobody wanted to touch that series with a three meters pole and they were quite right. Neither Stan Lee, nor Roy Thomas were ever able to make the X-Men work, so what chances did anyone else have. The total makeover done by Wein was a massive shot in the arm, then Claremont (at that time, Wein's right-hand man, usually relegated to secondary stuff) turned the series into the hottest title of Marvel for almost a decade. For all intent and purposes, he and Wein had rebuilt the entire series from scratch. This, paired with Claremont notoriously long-winded plots, meant that he was a crazy micro-manager. Apparently, when Loiuse Simmonson pitched the idea to reunite the original X-Men team, Claremont objected that he needed all those characters exactly where they were (i.e. Scott in Alaska with Maddie Pryor, Beast in Manhattan moonlighting with the Avengers, Jean dead and buried, etc.) and the answer was something along the lines of "these aren't your characters, Chris". I don't know if this was the moment that started the downward spiral, but since Wheezie pretty much undid the ending of the Dark Phoenix Saga, something that Claremont already fought over with Byrne... I can imagine how angry he was.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Um ... Louise Simonson didn't do that. Bob Layton, the original X-Factor writer, did.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Ixar

Post by Jabroniville »

IXAR
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #36 (Jan. 1967)
Group Affiliations: The Ultroids, Sirians
PL 10 (176)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Space Traveler) 6 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 6, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Kill-O-Bots"
Protection 10 (total 14) (Extras: Impervious 13) [23]
Regeneration 4 [4]

Blast 12 (Feats: Variable- Electricity/Force) [25]
Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Blasts +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 91 / Defenses: 12 (180)

-A request from Goldar, here is Ixar and his Ultroids!
-Ixar and the Ultroids was a bizarre one-off story written by Roy Thomas in the early days of his Avengers run- it deals with two alien races and the interstellar war that wiped them out completely, leaving only their robotic warriors, the Ultroids, to continue on the now even MORE pointless battle. The Ultroids invaded the inner sanctum of the last remaining Sirian, Ixar, and in his dying moments, he transferred his mind to an immortal computer. Ixar thus sought out a world with superpowered beings on it, so he could transfer their powers into the Ultroids. He captured Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch in their native Transia, luring in the Avengers- Captain America brought the Black Widow along.

-The Avengers were captured, but Hawkeye & the Widow escaped, as they had no superhuman powerws to siphon. They freed the heroes, and Ixar drained all of his Ultroids' power into one GIANT Ultroid, which then defeated the heroes. However, in a grand Marvel tradition (even then), the least-powerful members saved the day, as Hawkeye realizes that a captive leader of Transia is actually Ixar himself in disguise. He threatened to kill Ixar, but the villain realized that the Avengers had sworn an oath against killing, so it was an empty threat- the Black Widow, however, pointed out that she was NOT an Avenger, and thus was bound by no such oath. Sufficiently intimidated, Ixar flew away with his forces, hoping to find a world WITHOUT superheroes on it. And thus, shockingly, the character has NEVER RETURNED. Like, not on the Stranger's Laboratory World, not during Maximum Security, not during a Kurt Busiek thing- NOTHING.

-The story's only legacy? Well, it seems that Thomas enjoyed the "Ultroids" name so much that he pretty much used it again, giving us ULTRON only a year or so later.

-Ixar, when combining the powers of all the Ultroids into a robotic body that he controls, becomes extremely powerful, and the combined powers of the Avengers mean nothing. Granted, this is the weakest Avengers team of all time- Cap, Wanda, Quicksilver, Giant-Man, Wasp, Hawkeye & Black Widow. But against a Class 100 Kill-O-Bot, there's not a damn thing they can do. Wanda only temporarily disables his circuitry with her powers, and he's on them pretty quickly afterwards.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Ultroids

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ULTROIDS
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Don Heck
Role: Kill-O-Bots
Group Affiliations: The Ultroids
PL 7 (71)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Kill-O-Bots"
Protection 6 [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +0

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 6--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 7 (71)

-The Ultroids are sentient, intelligent robots that fight the Avengers en masse. Their only real ability is that Ixar can siphon superhuman powers into them- gaining Quicksilver's speed, they nonetheless only demonstrate the occasional short burst (probably boosting their close attacks & Defenses by 2-3 apiece). Ixar's robot, a massive Ultroid, has the powers of all the Ultroids, and is about 15 feet tall and PL 10-11, with Energy Blasts.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: The Ultroids

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:31 pmImage
What's up with Black Canary's boots, and how did a DC character become an Avenger?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Ultrana

Post by Jabroniville »

ULTRANA
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Don Heck
Group Affiliations: The Ultroids, Sirians

-Ultrana was a female-looking Ultroid that was disguised as the Scarlet Witch, and sent to America to lure the Avengers to Ixar's hideout in Transia. She had them fooled, but eventually slipped up when she declared a power that Wanda never had. A big-headed alien-looking lady, she also had her life force taken to empower Ixar's giant robot.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

An interesting idea.. a power that Wanda never had. With what little I know, is there such a thing? I thought that Scarlet Witch had become the mistress of the asspull.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.