Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Karma! Cannonball! Lila Cheney! Magma!)

Post by drkrash »

I've been away for a few days, so I'm not caught up yet, but I'm psyched to see Toshinden builds! :)

I would have loved to see the challenge of you trying to build some of the Toshinden 3 guys. That was the first game I bought for my Playstation.

Toshinden 4 is something of a grail-game for me still, even though I've read its terrible.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Stevie

Post by Jabroniville »

STEVIE HUNTER
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Byrne
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #139 (Nov. 1980)
Role: Supporting Character, Mentor Figure
Group Affiliations: Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters
PL 3 (60)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+6)
Expertise (Ballet Dancer) 9 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Treatment 3 (+4)

Advantages: 
None

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Bum Leg)- Stevie was a world-class dancer in her prime, but a knee injury permanently ended her career. Even today, she can occasionally have a relapse, or falter if she puts too much strain on her leg. In her prime, she had Agility 5, Acrobatics 8 (+13) and Athletics 8 (+8).

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (60)

-Stevie Hunter was a good mentor-figure to the New Mutant kids, teaching them the embarassing art of ballet in order to perfect their bodies and improve their athleticism (it's a real thing, too- ballet dancers have some SERIOUS physical conditioning, and dancers in general are all-around more in shape than many pro athletes, and often "work hurt" far more). She was a good influence on their lives, and often took a "man on the street" role to the team, being someone who wasn't a mutant, wasn't a fighter, and wasn't a hormone-ridden angsty teenager, so she provided a fresh outlook to the grim world of teenaged heroes. She was less gruff than Professor Xavier, but wouldn't let them slack (she once derided Sunspot for letting his conditioning go while on vacation, calling his dance positions "pathetic").

-Stevie was central to a few storylines, and was with the team in their #1 issue, acting as a "Den Mother" sort (she'd first shown up in Uncanny, having tought Kitty Pryde first). Later, she had to deal with a weird stalker who turned out to be another kid in their class- a lifetime of violent abuse from his father had twisted the kid into a bit of a wreck with a skewed sense of right & wrong (we never saw him again)- it was a bit "Very Special Episode", but they pulled off how creepy a lot of it was. Stevie started appearing less and less during Louise Simonson's run on the book, and last showed up with them when several of the students got kidnapped by Genoshan soldiers (during The X-Tinction Agenda). Her last appearance of any worth was during the end of Claremont's run on Uncanny, as she was desperately helping Xavier dodge the assaults of a mind-controlled Colossus, who was under the thrall of the Shadow King. By this point, Kitty had joined Excalibur, the New Mutants had become X-Force, Claremont (the only write who used Stevie) was gone, and there was no more "need" for her to stick around. I only ever saw her during The X-Cutioner's Song, where all she did was hang around because Xavier was dying, and then having a short conversation with Sunspot after the story arc ended.

-I kind of liked the character- she came off as "normal" in a crazy world (and didn't get a Claremontian F'd Up Origin Story the way so many other supporting cast members did), was stern without being cruel (as Xavier often could be), and had a good heart. Though I wouldn't call her one of the best supporting characters EVER or anything, she was neat, and I'd have liked to see her show up in a book or two, teaching X-kids (there ARE like 75 of them- why didn't Wolverine and the X-Men use her as a phys-ed teacher? She's got the goods!). Hell, we don't even really know what she's been DOING since she left the books- I couldn't tell you her last appearance.

-Stat-wise, she's just an athletic woman who's a bit past her prime- it was a plot point that a knee injury ended what would have been a promising career in dance.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Apparently even the Zodiac Cartel had fans!
Jabroniville

Tom & Sharon

Post by Jabroniville »

TOM CORSI
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Bill Sienkiewicz
First Appearance: The New Mutants #19 (Sept. 1983)
Role: Supporting Character
PL 5 (73)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Police Officer) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Physical Education Instructor) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Firearm) 1 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Treatment 1 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
Equipment 2 (Pistol +5), Ranged Combat 2

Equipment:
Pistol +5 (10)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Pistol +5 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Sharon Friedlander)- The two shared a flirtation for a while, until Supreme Dick of the Universe, Empath, forced the two into a week-long orgy to get rid of them. They avoided each other afterwards, emotionally broken.
Responsibility (Native American)- Tom used to be a white guy, but the Demon Bear (*shudder*) transformed him into a Native to do battle with Danielle Moonstar. He is now stuck in that condition.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (73)

SHARON FRIEDLANDER
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Bill Sienkiewicz
First Appearance: The New Mutants #19 (Sept. 1983)
Role: Supporting Character
PL 5 (60)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Treatment 5 (+8)

Advantages: 
None

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Tom Corsi)- The two shared a flirtation for a while, until Supreme Dick of the Universe, Empath, forced the two into a week-long orgy to get rid of them. They avoided each other afterwards, emotionally broken.
Responsibility (Native American)- Sharon used to be a white woman, but the Demon Bear (*shudder*) transformed her into a Native to do battle with Danielle Moonstar. She is now stuck in that condition.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (60)

-Tom & Sharon were a weird little story in Claremont's New Mutants run. Two bystanders (Tom a cop, Sharon a nurse) assaulted by The Demon Bear, they were transformed into Demonic Cheyenne warriors to attack Danielle Moonstar's friends, and upon the beast's defeat, were still trapped in those forms, despite their Mind Control wearing off. They made do, and joined Xavier's staff as supporting characters, though they never really did anything. Their biggest story was when Empath turned their mutual attraction in a sexual obsession because they spotted him spying on Magneto- though it could have seemed funny with the wrong creative team, the sight of Tom & Sharon's emotionally & physically-drained, broken bodies was very jarring, and remains so today. They were basically emptied of all sensation by this point, having essentially raped each other for three days straight, putting all manner of piercings into their bodies, and were essentially shattered. And this didn't just "wear off"- they were seen as shuddering wrecks even a few issues later, which sent the New Mutants into hardcore vengeance mode, pummeling and mentally torturing Empath for his crimes.

-The two would leave the school afterwards. They drifted in X-Limbo for years afterwards, only showing up in an Acolytes story (Sharon was killed by Joanna Cargill with a punch to the face, but I don't think anyone mourned her at all- I didn't even know she was dead until I read Wikipedia, and I OWN that issue!). Tom appeared in both Generation-X and The New X-Men as a Phys-Ed Instructor, but he's still extremely minor, and hasn't shown up in years.

-Both characters are Top-Tier humans as far as stats go, easily equalling Captain America in some respects, but they lack the overall fighting capability of real super-heroes, and are thus PL 5 characters. Tom, being a police officer, is far more talented overall, and more of a threat (as one of the Kleinstocks discovered, being blasted through in his very first appearance- as somehow a common pistol ended up blowing a MASSIVE energy plume through his back).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote:Apparently even the Zodiac Cartel had fans!
I... I'm scared...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote:I... I'm scared...
The really scary part is the signature on the letter.

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Batgirl III wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:I... I'm scared...
The really scary part is the signature on the letter.

:o

Well maybe not so surprising. One fan of the star signs showing support for others of similar inclination.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote:I've been away for a few days, so I'm not caught up yet, but I'm psyched to see Toshinden builds! :)

I would have loved to see the challenge of you trying to build some of the Toshinden 3 guys. That was the first game I bought for my Playstation.

Toshinden 4 is something of a grail-game for me still, even though I've read its terrible.
Hah, checking my old builds out, I saw you make the same point about Toshinden 3. I'd have gladly statted it, if it wasn't for the GIGANTIC roster- it was a few too many guys I wasn't familiar with.
Jabroniville

Dani Moonstar

Post by Jabroniville »

DANIELLE MOONSTAR (aka Psyche, Mirage)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Bob McLeod
First Appearance: New Mutants Annual #1 (Summer 1984)
Role: The Rebel, The Leader, The Tomboy, The Cranky One
Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, X-Force, The Valkyrior of Asgard, The Mutant Liberation Front, SHIELD
PL 10 (171)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Cheyenne Heritage) 4 (+7)
Expertise (SHIELD Agent) 3 (+4)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Bow & Arrow) 6 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Bow & Arrow), Fearless, Improved Aim, Leadership, Minion 6 (Brightwind), Power Attack, Set-Up 2, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Fear & Desire-Based Illusions"
"Inflict With Terror or Joy" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Ranged, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Fear or Happiness) (31) -- [32]
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion 10 (Visual & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area 2- 30 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Subject's Fears or Desires) (23)
"Soulmates" Senses 1 (Communication Link- Rahne Sinclair) [1]

"Native American Racial Template"
Enhanced Skills 8: Persuasion 8 (+11) (Flaws: Limited to Animals) [2]
Communication (Mental) 1 (Flaws: Limited to Animals) [3]
"See Through Their Eyes" Remote Sensing (Visuals) 3 (250 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Animals) [3]

"Valkyrie- Chooser of the Slain" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Limited to Death) [2]

Equipment:
"Totally Stereotypical Bow & Arrow" Blast 4 (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Bow & Arrow +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Fear-Illusions +10 Area (+10 Illusion & Affliction, DC 20s)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +10

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Reputation (Rebel)- Dani has been a rebel since birth, and loves to openly flout authority. She was one of the few teenagers in the universe to straight-up call Charles Xavier out and insult him while in his charge. She is passionate and will not be contained.
Pride (Heritage)- Danielle is a proud Cheyenne, to the point of wearing buckskins and braids in public long past the point where that would ever be considered normal. Mock her heritage at your own peril.
Relationship (Rahne Sinclair)- Dani is "Soulmates" with Wolfsbane, and the two would do anything for each other.
Relationship (Brightwind)- Dani has a winged horse named Brightwind as her chosen mount, after saving it's life from a cruel trap.
Responsibility (Valkyrie)- As a Valkyrior, Dani is subject to viewing his is going to die, and is given the option of battling Death itself for their life. These battles take place on the mystical plane, and are frequently given different rules.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 16 (171)

Dani Moonstar- Born Rebel:
-Dani (apparently called "Psyche" at first, but nobody EVER uses her original codename) is more proof-positive of the greatness of the New Mutants series. She came right out of the gate as the hugest racial stereotype of all time- a white-hating, feather-wearing, buckskin-sporting girl with a wise grandfather and the freaking ability to talk to animals, and she was hating on everyone around her- insulting her grandfather for allying with "a white" (Professor Xavier), and rubbing many of her classmates the wrong way. In her second appearance, she accidentally pulled Karma's rape out of her head and broadcasted the image to all the other kids- a pretty harsh way to show that "Being a young mutant sucks". She was always a rebel- she deliberately altered her New Mutants uniform, then basically dared the Professor to do something about it ("I hope he says no- I'll show him")- she rebelled just for the sake of being a pain in the ass. She was central to the series- being Rahne's "Soulmate", being co-leader and tactical commander, and underwent some of the greatest changes.

-First off was the *shudder* Demon Bear, a malevolent entity that possessed her parents and left her an orphan for years, then crippled her and nearly wiped out the entire New Mutants before Magik's Soulsword took it out. Her harsh edges were filed down a tiny bit- she was tough, rough and mouthy still, and had a penchant for embarassing her teammates (flirting with Sam when he accidentally saw her changing; suggesting that a string bikini she'd found was "a trifle modest for my tastes"), but she and the Professor finally learned to get along, and her powers maintained a bit more control.

Dani the Valkyrie:
-During an eventful trip to Asgard, Dani's life changed forever when she rescued an endangered winged horse from a bog, named it Brightwind, and so was chosen to be the only mortal VALKYRIE- she'd been thus chosen by the steed. This allowed her the ability to forsee and fight death over those chosen to be slain- no boon, that, as she would frequently be shaken to her very core by witnessing the massive spectre of Death over top of the mansion (the prelude to the Mutant Massacre), or have to engage in a personal debate with Death itself after a childhood friend was badly injured. He & Dani were very close until she accidentally broadcasted the teen boy's fondest wish- his & Dani's marriage- to his family; after that, he despised her. Death finally claimed him, convincing Dani of the rare benevolence death sometimes offers ("You CAUSE PAIN!" "And end it.").

-Eventually, she gained the Game-Breaking powers (thanks to the High Evolutionary, the Patron Saint of Bad Stories) of being able to pull ANYTHING into the real world via her "Deepest Desires", resulting in some very clumsy storytelling and bizarre antics (wishing a sweet car into existence, or creating a giant ice machine to salve her burns or some silly thing). But eventually Dani quit the team, choosing to remain in Asgard while Rob Liefeld took over the art, completely altering her old team. And so Dani went on the shelf for YEARS...

Dani in the '90s:
-Dani would return in the mid 1990s as a member of the MUTANT LIBERATION FRONT of all people, joining their group of mysterious reasons, only to reveal that she was a S.H.I.E.L.D. mole to discover their origins. Yeah, S.H.I.E.L.D. armed a terrorist organization with a deadly fighter and had her engage in several illegal acts just to take out mutant team so awful that its elite members include Wildside, Reaper and Forearm. Dani ended up back on X-Force on the era after I stopped reading, and it was short-lived and kinda mediocre. The '90s just weren't her decade AT ALL- she left the New Mutants right before they became relevant again (The "Cable Era"), missed out on almost the entirety of X-Force's relevance, and was a middling character always in Marvel Limbo after that point. By the time she finally got back onto a regular book, it was the New Mutants/New X-Men: Academy X relaunch, which saw her as the teacher to a new group of kids. This had potential, but she made so many obvious mistakes (with Emma Frost always making fun of her) that she came across as rather ineffectual, and then they DE-POWERED HER, as one of the only "known" mutant characters to lose their powers on M-Day. This actually led to her being fired, as she now looked like a colossal buffoon.

-Years later, she would do some sweet stuff as the human-level person on the re-made New Mutants team, being bitchy, independent and rebellious again, just like the Dani we all know and love. When that book went away, she joined The Fearless Defenders book, an All-Girl Squad of little-used characters, acting like a Bad-Ass Normal, focusing on bows & arrows (well, it's part of the Native American Racial Template, I guess...).

Dani Rules:
-Honestly, I just dig the character- she's so scary & fierce that I'm not even ATTRACTED to her, yet she's utterly fascinating in how she just takes that "Rebellious Woman" thing Claremont digs so much and just RUNS with it, intimidating everyone and acting basically like an Image-Era Anti-Hero before that was cool. She'll fight like a maniac, terrify someone out of their wits, and then do the "Friend to the Animals/Thoughtful Hero" thing right when you least expect it- she's a wonderful character, and like most of the initial New Mutants team, she has more depth than 95% of super-heroes.

-And her THING WITH RAHNE OH MY GOD!! Complete opposites in personality (Dani is rebellious, righteous and mean; Rahne is kind-hearted, sweet-natured and religiously conservative), they were nonetheless best friends. Dani defended poor, shy Rahne from all dangers, communicated with her via their shared mental link (something common usually among lovers- Jean & Scott could do that, for example), and they considered each other "Soulmates". Claremont paired them up constantly (even in future-storylines), had one almost say "I love you" to the other, and more... but denies that there was any hint of romance, stating that Dani was too old, and that their age, that was a deal-breaker. He even gave me a "WTF?" look when I said I thought there was something between them at a Comic Expo, so consider... that ship.... "sunk" *sob*.

-Sadly, because Dani spent most of the '90s on the shelf, and Rahne got all her focus in Peter David's X-Facator (both the '90s & modern series), the two have almost never interacted since Dani split the New Mutants. The first NM revamp had them more adversarial (Rahne was "acting out" and making time with a young male student in order to be a "bad girl"), and the second NM revamp didn't feature Rahne- they've basically been apart the entire time.

Dani's Stats:
-Dani's a righteous pain to stat, using various combinations of powers and being very good at various things. A "Cheyenne Heritage" Skill should cover her survival & religious knowledge, but even then she uses a lot of Skills & Advantages. She's pretty strong, tough, capable, and a decent fighter, as well as being furiously strong-willed and now basically impossible to scare (she's one of the few to stand right up to Trauma of "The Initiative" and get him to de-power himself because she's just not afraid of the Demon Bear anymore). She has various side-powers unrelated to her Mutant abilities, including Death-sense, Animal-based stuff (Remote Sensing AND Communication), plus the quasi-lesbian thing with Rahne.

-It's her main Fear Powers that require the most work. It's basically an Illusion and an Affliction in a Dynamic Array, both being Limited in a few ways. The Illusions are quite realistic, even when they're unlikely, and have the Affliction necessary to inflict total Terror on people. Basically this is a Mind Control-y type of thing, affecting everyone who can see them (Area-Perception, plus Ranged because the Illusions aren't always touching her, and Selective because her friends aren't always hampered by them). They're at +10, which is enough to temporarily freak out even the strongest of wills if they fail enough of a save. Most master villains, however, are good enough to see through the Illusions after a turn or two. I initially went with a Linked Power in my old build, but there are a couple instances of her using Fear Powers on somone who KNOWS they're just Illusions, and the fear STILL works, so I don't need the whole "Power Loss- if they Don't Believe".

-All of this combines to make Dani a VERY expensive character, moreso than the rest of the team. The combination of Skills, Advantages and a fair amount of Powers really boosts her up several notches, though of course this character is rarely seen at full potential- she spent years without Brightwind, for example, and got De-Powered a few years back as well. With the MLF, she appeared to have different powers, etc.

BRIGHTWIND
Role:
Mounted Beast
PL 8 (78)- Minion Rank 6
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+5 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Diehard, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Improved Initiative, Last Stand, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (Total 3) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Hooves" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Protection 2 [2]

"Wings" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Hooves +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Animals cannot speak to humans, or use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 13 (78)

-Brightwind was Danielle's winged horse steed, because Claremont was fun in the way he used the "wide-open sandbox" setting that comic books allows. Brightwind didn't have much personality, turned into the bat-winged "Darkwind" when Dani was on the M.L.F., and was eventually killed by Reignfire. Later on, he was resurrected, rather than Dani just get another steed.

DANIELLE MOONSTAR (aka Psyche, Mirage)- Current De-Powered Version
Created By:
Role: The Rebel, The Leader, The Tomboy, The Cranky One, Bad-Ass Normal
Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, X-Force, The Valkyrior of Asgard, The Mutant Liberation Front, SHIELD
PL 8 (136)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 3 (+6)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+13)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Bow & Arrow), Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Last Stand, Leadership, Minion 6 (Brightwind), Power Attack, Set-Up 2, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: None"

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +10

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Reputation (Rebel)- Dani has been a rebel since birth, and loves to openly flout authority. She was one of the few teenagers in the universe to straight-up call Charles Xavier out and insult him while in his charge. She is passionate and will not be contained.
Pride (Heritage)- Danielle is a proud Cheyenne, to the point of wearing buckskins and braids in public long past the point where that would ever be considered normal. Mock her heritage at your own peril.
Relationship (Rahne Sinclair)- Dani is "Soulmates" with Wolfsbane, and the two would do anything for each other.
Relationship (Brightwind)- Dani has a winged horse named Brightwind as her chosen mount, after saving it's life from a cruel trap. Her new steed, given by Hela, is also with her sometimes.
Reputation (De-Powered Mutant)- One of the few well-known mutant characters to lose their powers on "M-Day", Danielle currently possesses none of her Powers. This leaves people like the White Queen & Cannonball to doubt her capabilities in the line of fire.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (136)

This is Danielle once her powers were lost during M-Day. She's a good, tough fighter, but still only PL 7 on offense, PL 8 on defense, so she's definitely no hardcore warrior or anything. Enough to be a Bad-Ass Normal on her team, and she's a good assister/Intimidate-based character, but in an outright firefight, she's pretty limited.

DANIELLE MOONSTAR (aka Psyche, Mirage)- Mutant Liberation Front Era
Created By:
Role: The Mole
PL 10 (161)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Bow & Arrow), Fearless, Improved Aim, Leadership, Minion 6 (Darkwind- Same as Brightwind), Power Attack, Set-Up 2, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Mind-Arrows"
Blast 10 (Extras: Alternate Save- Will) (Flaws: Limited- Requires Bow) (20) -- [21]
"Mental Stun" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited- Requires Bow) (20)

"See Through Their Eyes" Remote Sensing (Visuals) 3 (250 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Animals) [3]

"Valkyrie- Chooser of the Slain" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Limited to Death) [2]

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +10

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Relationship (Brightwind)- Dani has a winged horse named Brightwind as her chosen mount, after saving it's life from a cruel trap.
Responsibility (Valkyrie)- As a Valkyrior, Dani is subject to viewing his is going to die, and is given the option of battling Death itself for their life. These battles take place on the mystical plane, and are frequently given different rules.
Secret (Undercover)- Danielle is a SHIELD Agent gone deep undercover with the Mutant Liberation Front, committing evil acts to see what leader Reignfire is up to.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 16 (161)

-This era of Dani's history always struck me as poor storytelling- I get the "Power Upgrade" thing (even though it got dropped like a hot potato VERY quickly), but to go under-cover in a minor-league Supervillain organization while fighting all your friends, while wearing the world's sluttiest super-hero outfit? Truly bizarre stuff, and it gets casually ignored these days. And of course we never saw the "Psionic Arrows" again.

DANIELLE MOONSTAR (aka Psyche, Mirage)- Late New Mutants Era
Created By:
Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, The Valkyrior of Asgard
PL 8 (137)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+5)
Athletics 6 (+6)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Cheyenne Heritage) 5 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Bow & Arrow) 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Fearless, Leadership, Minion 6 (Brightwind), Power Attack, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Solid Illusions" Variable 5 (Flaws: Limited to Objects of Her Desire) [30]

Enhanced Skills 8: Persuasion 8 (+10) (Flaws: Limited to Animals) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Variable Power (Up To +8 Effects, DC 18-23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 13 (137)

-Here's another bizarre section of Dani's history- she was now able to pull her Illusions into the REAL WORLD, essentially becoming "Dani has any power, ever, at her command". This got dropped for obvious reasons fairly quickly, and came as a result of the High Evolutionary's genetic tinkering, so I guess you could say it just "wore off" (it was never actually explained in-book where they went, however- she just kind of showed up one day without them). This replaces her base Powers with "Variable", sorta limited to held objects and the like. So she can summon things like Monsters, Cars, Spears (her most common variant, she 'defaulted' to a small Spear-Necklace because she had to have one 'illusion' going at all times), etc.

DANIELLE MOONSTAR (aka Psyche, Mirage)- Middle New Mutants Era
Created By:
Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, The Valkyrior of Asgard
PL 9 (136)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+4)
Athletics 6 (+6)
Deception 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Bow & Arrow) 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Fearless, Leadership, Minion 6 (Brightwind), Power Attack, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Inflict With Terror or Joy" Affliction 9 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Ranged, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Subject's Fears or Desires) (27) -- [29]
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion 8 (Visual & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area 2- 30 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Subject's Fears or Desires) (19)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Fear-Illusions +8 Area (+8 Illusion & Affliction, DC 18s)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Enemy (The Demon Bear)- Dani lives in fear of the mighty Demon Bear, an evil entity possessing her parents, and which constantly hunts her. Her friends defeated it, but it could one day return.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 13 (136)

-Middle-era Dani is basically like her older version, just lessened in nearly every single way. She's one of the more PL-heavy New Mutants for her whole run, since she uses a mental effect that still hampers powerful villains from an early point, but she's a lot less versatile this way.

MORE MODEST.

DANIELLE MOONSTAR (aka Psyche, Mirage)- Debut
Created By:
Group Affiliations: The New Mutants
PL 8 (99)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+3)
Athletics 6 (+6)
Deception 3 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Bow & Arrow) 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Leadership

Powers:
"Inflict With Terror or Joy" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Ranged, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Subject's Fears or Desires) (24) -- [26]
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion 8 (Visual & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area 2- 30 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Subject's Fears or Desires) (19)

Enhanced Skills 8: Persuasion 8 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Animals) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Fear-Illusions +8 Area (+8 Illusion & Affliction, DC 18s)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Enemy (The Demon Bear)- Dani lives in fear of the mighty Demon Bear, an evil entity possessing her parents, and which constantly hunts her.
Responsibility (Powers Out of Control)- Dani's powers often react and go into effect without her intentions, resulting in some awkward and horrifying circumstances with her friends and allies.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 12 (99)

-Dani in her debut is pretty similar to her later versions, minus her Winged Horse and a few other abilities, but maintaining the same level of Fear Illusions.

DANIELLE MOONSTAR (aka Psyche, Mirage)- as Valkyrie of Hel
Created By:
PL 11 (223)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Bow & Arrow), Fearless, Improved Aim, Leadership, Minion 6 (Brightwind), Power Attack, Set-Up 2, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Inflict With Terror or Joy" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Ranged, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Fear or Happiness) (31) -- [32]
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion 10 (Visual & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area 2- 30 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Subject's Fears or Desires) (23)

"Hel's Personal Valkyrie"
Enhanced Strength 9 [18]
Enhanced Stamina 7 [14]
Impervious Toughness 10 [10]

"Valkyrie Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (13)

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Sword +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +10

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Responsibility (Hel's Valkyrie)- As a Valkyrior, Dani is subject to viewing his is going to die, and is given the option of battling Death itself for their life. These battles take place on the mystical plane, and are frequently given different rules. Currently, she is the personal Valkyrie of Hel, forced to take the souls of actual Gods to the Underworld. At various times, she is forced to do Hel's will.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 94 / Defenses: 17 (223)

-Here's the twice-seen Dani boosted up in power by Hel when she needed more power during Dark Reign or somesuch thing. She's powerful as hell- able to take out Ares in solo combat, basically adding a ton of strength to an already expensive build. Honestly, given how plain and generic (not to mention stereotypical) her bow & arrow-usin' Injun modern version is, I'd actually rather she stay this way. I mean, come on- she's a VALKYRIE OF HEL. That's freaking metal as f*ck.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab's Builds! (Karma! Cannonball! Lila Cheney! Magma! Dani Moonstar!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Nice build on Dani. I was always sort of appreciative of her casual racism because it rang true for how humans can sometimes get, assuming that the world is against them, and falling into the trap of assuming that their particular group, whether it's race, socioeconomic class, or club affiliation, is superior in some inherent way.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Karma! Cannonball! Lila Cheney! Magma! Dani Moonstar!)

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:32 pm Nice build on Dani. I was always sort of appreciative of her casual racism because it rang true for how humans can sometimes get, assuming that the world is against them, and falling into the trap of assuming that their particular group, whether it's race, socioeconomic class, or club affiliation, is superior in some inherent way.
Yeah, she's just like "A WHITE!?!" and her grandfather is like "shut up, Dani- he's smart".
Jabroniville

The Demon Bear

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DEMON BEAR
Created By:
First Appearance: The New Mutants #3 (May 1983)
Role: The Scariest Goddamn Thing in the Universe, Stephen Colbert's Nightmare Fuel
PL 11 (289), PL 13 (289) Defenses
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 8 (+11)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 12 (+16 Size)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 16 (+8 Size)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claws) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Startle, Ultimate Intimidation Skill

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking) [4]
Speed 1 (8 mph) [1]
"Giant Bear" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
"Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 5) [6]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [9]

"Corruption" (All Powers Linked)
Environment 10 (4 miles) (Cold 2) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Limited to 1 Area Rank per Round) [20]
Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 4 miles +10, Continuous) (Flaws: Standard Action -2, Limited to 1 Area Rank per Round) [20]
Transform 10 (Pure Earth to Corrupted Earth) (Extras: Continuous, Free Action +2) [50]

Senses (Detect Negative Emotions- Ranged 2, Acute) [4]
"Claws- Corruption of Human Souls" Affliction 12 (Will; Entranced & Fatigued/Stunned & Exhausted/Transformed to Lightning-Shooting Native American & Controlled) (Extras: Progressive +2, Extra Condition) (48) -- [50]
  • AE: Teleport 7 (Extras: Accurate, Extended) (28)
  • AE: "Magickal Bear Realm" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel) (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Burst) (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Claws +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Corruption of Souls +10 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Will +12

Complications:
Motivation (Corruption)- The Demon Bear seeks to overwhelm entire worlds with it's Darkness, and turn them into black pits of evil. It tortures the souls under it's power for it's own pleasure.
Enemy (The Moonstars)- The Demon Bear stole away Dani Moonstar's parents, and now it's coming for her.
Weakness (Fire)- The Demon Bear fears fire, as all animals tend to.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 177 / Defenses: 16 (289)

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! KEEP IT AWAY!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! *whimper* (deep breath) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

-Sorry, reflex. The Demon Bear is the creepiest goddamned thing I've ever read in a comic book. See, New Mutants star Danielle Moonstar was threatened by this mysterious Spirit Bear that haunted her dreams and took her parents from her. Turns out, the thing was not only REAL, but a 20-foot-tall gigantic Evil Bear of Doom that hunted Dani because she held the key to its demise. This thing was FREAKY, designed with the absolute crazy ability of Bill Sienkiewicz, who for some reason decided that the book of teenage characters read by children would be the perfect place to bring this insane Nightmare Fuel monster to life. He was so much above Bob McLeod & Sal Buscema when it came to drawing the Demon Bear that he was basically integral to the very concept- This thing is pure exaggerated evil, with red, beady eyes, a wide-open maw, huge jagged claws (often appearing as giant white spikes hidden in a field of black shadow on the front of the monster), and a weird misshapen body to make it look the most unnerving.

-The Demon Bear nearly wiped out the entire New Mutants team, and permanently altered recently-introduced characters Tom Corsi & Sharon Friedlander into Native Americans, in addition to giving them a temporary power-boost as his minions. Dani managed to surpass her fear and slay the beast with some arrows... until she confidently strode towards its "corpse", only for a single eye to open- the rest of the New Mutants would find Dani's mangled body, and she barely survived, now more frightened and hopeless than ever.

-The Bear faced the entire teen team (Dani recovered thanks to Healer of the Morlocks, who Claremont often used like this- healing people from horrible beatings so that only the psychological trauma- the only kind that interested him as a writer- would last), with only Illyana Rasputin's Magickal Might holding him off via wards and her Soulsword. Eventually, Dani mentally told the group what to do- using teamwork, they distracting the Bear, and allowed Magik to slice him in half with her Anti-Magic Weapon. Despite the belief on Dani's parents that the Bear would return, it would take almost THREE DECADES for it to happen, and to a DIFFERENT Native hero- James Proudstar, aka Warpath, fought it as the combined something or other of his people, and beat it with Ghost Rider's help. Why the Bear was now fighting an Apache instead of a Cheyenne is beyond me- maybe he's just racist.

-The Demon Bear is an evil freak of nature, but isn't powerful enough to just wipe out the New Mutants, no matter their age. I mean, they made a big deal out of him and how he could destroy or take over the Earth, but he could still be injured by the teen heroes (and this was before Cannonball could even control his direction easily, and Sunspot would rapidly lose his powers in darkness), so I made him a high-powered PL 11 creature that was only PL 10 defensively. Still, the Mutants were like PL 6 around this time, so they survive based on pure luck and guile. It's "Corruption" Power was the most difficult, and it's effectively a battlefield-controlling Power that darkens, freezes and Corrupts the world (a Transform Effect).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Lila Cheney! Magma! Dani Moonstar! The Demon Bear!)

Post by Horsenhero »

Why did the Demon Bear move from fighting a Cheyenne to an Apache? Not because the bear is racist...because the writer is ignorant. I mean, they're all Native Americans, right? What's the difference?
Jabroniville

The Ani-Mator

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ANI-MATOR (Doctor Frederick Animus)
Created By:
Louise Simonson & Bret Blevins
First Appearance: The New Mutants #59 (Jan. 1988)
Role: Mad Scientist
PL 6 (67), PL 8 (67) Geneticist
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 5 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+14)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+18) -- Flaws: Limited to Genetics
Intimidation 4 (+3)
Technology 4 (+10)

Advantages: 
Equipment 2 (Pistol +4), Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Guns +7 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Science!)- The Ani-Mator experiments on others for the sake of science.
Responsibility (Dirty Coward)- Animus is brave when dealing with helpless animals or children, but shrinks back quickly if challenged.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (67)

-The "Bird-Brain" story in Louise Simonson's run on The New Mutants is rather infamous, and for good reason. It's basically one of the worst comic book stories EVER, being tiresome and full of stupid art (Blevins drew the kids like they were eight years old, and made the animal characters too silly to be sympathetic). Plus it killed off Doug Ramsey, who everyone decided later on was awesome. The Ani-Mator is your standard Mad Scientist who went full-blown nuts, dressing in animal skins and creating Animal/Human Hybrids while drooling like an imbecile. So hated was the storyline that it was basically glossed over for decades, with writers often referring to Doug's death, but NEVER talking about the actual storyline in which it took place. For his crimes, The Ani-Mator was sent to Limbo by Magik (after Wolfsbane, who loved Doug, chose to spare his life), where he was infected by the Transmode Virus by S'ym, and never seen again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Lila Cheney! Magma! Dani Moonstar! The Demon Bear!)

Post by Spectrum »

So is the Ani-Mator the poor man's version of the High Evolutionary?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.