Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Moonstar! Demon Bear! Bird-Brain! Wolfsbane! Cypher! Warlock!)

Post by Jabroniville »

I kinda liked it because it expanded upon his powers, but not in an INSANE way- just that he could "read" what you were about to do, and react accordingly. He whupped on his old teammates for a bit, but he ended up losing out in that same scene because Karma created a workaround by possessing her teammates and sending them out with garbled, random attacks due to her control messing with their bodies. Plus, it's still Doug Ramsey- his Power Level with all that is basically on the level of Georges Batroc, not Captain America.

Not QUITE like the guy controlling "Plants", which was done for laughs. It also reminds me of when I was temporarily obsessed with that show for a couple of months, largely around the two-headed guy, who I thought was awesome. I even made a THREE-headed "puppet" for a "Learning Workshop" thing I ended up in during one summer, but all I had my guy do was scream "We're the Toxic! CRUSADERS!" to the cadence of a song the group sang to themselves at one point. Endlessly. I'm pretty sure everyone there just thought I had Asperger's (or whatever its 1980s equivalent was called) :).
Jabroniville

Thunderbird (John Proudstar)

Post by Jabroniville »

Yes, he really died being THIS stupid, with TWO of his teammates admonishing him to stop what he was doing.

THUNDERBIRD I (John Proudstar)
Created By:
Len Wein & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: Giant-Size X-Men #1 (May 1975)
Role: Sacrificial Buddy, Team Jerk-Ass
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The United States Marine Corps.
PL 8 (114)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+12)
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Marine) 7 (+7)
Expertise (Apache) 7 (+7)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Superhuman Physiology"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Senses 4 (Extended Vision, Scent & Hearing, Tracking) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (James Proudstar- Brother)- John was a positive influence in little James' life (not that we ever saw him until years after John died).
Responsibility (Apache Heritage)- John is a proud Apache, and despises the sad old drunks that make up his reservation.
Reputation (Bullheaded & Action-Craving)- John took the "Dissenter" role pre-Wolverine, being stubborn and headstrong. He joined the X-Men largely to give himself something to do, instead of being listless all the time.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 12 (114)

-Poor Thunderbird was just screwed, straight out of the gate. EVERYTHING was against this guy. On a team with a strong guy, a tracker, a scrappy bastard, agile people & fast people (who could FLY), he was a semi-strong, semi-fast, semi-good tracker who was kinda agile- in short, he was lesser than all of his teammates. And while everybody had these fascinating, never-before-seen cultures (for super-heroes at least), he was just your stereotypical "White-Hatin' Injun", which had been done to death in Western comics 20 years earlier. Len Wein has said that he wanted several X-Men to "fail the entrance exam", and that T-Bird was created by him & Dave Cockrum to do just that, alongside Sunfire & Banshee (he wanted at least ONE new character to fail). Instead of killing him on Mission One, however, they decided they liked his costume and kept him on. BUT, then they discovered that the team had TWO obnoxious loudmouths on it, and so he was chosen to bite the big one instead of the other newbie, Wolverine (can you imagine how much different comics would be if THUNDERBIRD was kept alive instead?). Len Wein made the call, but Claremont had to write it.

-And this alone is what sets him apart: his death was a "holy crap" wake-up call for the team, and made them all come together very quickly. By offing this Jerk-Ass prick of a character, they ended up setting up the rest of the book's run to be more serious. I mean, a superhero DYING on a mission in a comic book? This was back before each story arc had one dead hero, and one resurrection, mind you. Plus, they got little brother James (aka Warpath), and the Exiles' T-Bird out of the deal. So you can see that John was far more valuable dead than alive. Never mind that he died in the stupidest way possible, making the mistake of trying to tear apart Count Nefaria's jet when even BANSHEE was telling him to get off. Hilariously, nobody- not the X-Men, nor even James, who was at first VERY vengeful against the X-Men for getting John killed, has ever tried to get even with Nefaria- THE MAN WHO KILLED HIM.

-Thunderbird was killed as an example, and sort of became a legend forever- "that guy who died really early" and thus missed out on the entire legendary Claremont run. To his credit, Claremont would attempt a few bits here and there giving John Proudstar a legacy- some of his X-Men Vignettes featured the guy, as one made it pretty clear that he was a Vietnam veteran who was possibly suffering from Shell Schock (clinically known these days as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)- he spoke to Storm of how even her beloved jungle "could still sneak up and kill you!", and even Wolverine commented on how a "part of him" was lost overseas, and that some just aren't strong enough to make it.

-Subsequent appearances have usually come from parallel Earths (such as one from Exiles being a major character early on) and flashbacks, plus the existence of his younger brother James. Plus a couple story arcs where characters are briefly resurrected (like Necrosha and Chaos War.

-I figure most of the original Giant-Size team were around PL 8-9, having just learned their powers in many respects- John is tougher to place because he had very few appearances (I knock most rarely-appearing characters down a peg), but every time the resurrect him he does OK, but I went with PL 8 anyways (it's like some kind of weird inverted New Character Stink). If you want a PL 9 version, just upgrade his accuracy & defenses. John is kinda hard to nail down in terms of strength level, as he was unquestionably powerful, but likely well below Colossus. He could tear into a jet-plane well enough, but not rip it in half. He could run fast, jump far, and was very durable, but all at levels we never really got the chance to see tested. He's rather skillful (ex-military, plus lives on a reservation in the middle of nowhere), and he has a ton of Combat Advantages for a guy we saw very little of, so he's not too bad all-around. Way below his peak in points, but he'd do alright. It wouldn't be too hard to "boost" him further- just look at his lil' bro James, who is PL 10-11 based off of modern stories.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bird-Brain! Wolfsbane! Cypher! Warlock! Thunderbird!)

Post by Jabroniville »

For those curious, I'm posting Thunderbird because of course his brother is next (since he was on X-Force). I kind of like keeping "on-theme" with some guys. Plus, Thunderbird needed a bit of a re-work in terms of my commentary.
scc

Post by scc »

Nice Magus build. Didn't he rip a sun in half or something when he was chasing down his son? Grant you that would be hard to stat in the M&M system.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

I honestly think Thunderbird's a potentially good character, but having made him a complete ethnic stereotype pretty much guaranteed his demise. I mean, honestly, he's got the Captain America powerset (Hell, he's got American Eagle's exact power set before American Eagle was even created) and could easily have been cast as the stoic leader...but every time you make a stoic native-American (or any indigenous person) who's kind of stoic, they end up being a font of metaphysical pseudo-jedi philosophy and assorted argle-bargle, so he still would've been a stereotype, just a different stereotype.

Of course instead of multiple new X-men dying (until you get to the retcons of their first missions where the death toll climbs dramatically and suddenly they resemble Stikeforce Morituri where body count is concerned), just Thunderbird dies. Sunfire (the other other jerk-ass) simply quits, 'cause he don't work with whitey and Banshee lives because Claremont liked him.

Anyway, to me, Thunderbird represents missed opportunity. He's not exactly a "Red Guardian" character, but he's flirting with it.
Jabroniville

Warpath

Post by Jabroniville »

WARPATH (James Proudstar, aka Thunderbird II)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The New Mutants #16 (June 1984)
Role: Team Strongman, Flying Brick, Scrapper
Group Affiliations: The Hellions, X-Force, X-Corporation, The X-Men
PL 11 (170)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+13)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Apache Native) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Treatment 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Knives), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignore All Damage For 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Startle, Takedown, Tracking, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Advanced Physicality"
"Strength Feats"
"Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (13) -- [14]
AE: "Thunderclap" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (5)

Senses 4 (Extended & Low-Light Vision, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [4]

"Flight For Some Damn Reason" Flight 5 (60 mph) (10) -- [12]
  • AE: Speed 4 (30 mph) (4)
  • AE: Leaping 4 (120 feet) (4)
"Vibranium Bowie Knives" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Unbreakable) [8]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (11)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Bowie Knives +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +7

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Responsibility (Camp Verde Tribe)- A proud Apache, James strives to live up to the example of his people, especially after they were murdered by Stryfe.
Motivation (John Proudstar's Memory)- James worshipped his older brother John, the X-Men's short-lived Thunderbird, and this drives his entire life. He has still not entirely forgiven Charles Xavier for taking John away.
Relationship (Hepzibah)- James hooked up with the hot, fuzzy Space Skunk Hepzibah, formerly of the Starjammers, but she went back with her old squad fairly quickly.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 11 (170)

Thunderbird II (1980s):
-Warpath was my favourite member of X-Force. I always liked the "Team Strongman" types (I was like 5'10" 135 lbs. in Grade 12- I looked up to the buff giants), and that in addition to his bad-ass name, look and attempt to hook up with Siryn (my favourite X-Woman at the time) made him top dog in my opinion. That's why it was so weird for me to read his whole history. I would eventually learn that he debuted with the New Mutants's rival school squad (The Hellions), before leading an attack on the X-Men that nearly resulted in the death of Charles Xavier. Only MUCH later would he join X-Force as one of the 1990s' numerous "Strong Guy" team characters, and after that he'd be one of those random "off and on" characters that goes through numerous disappearances, as different writers would push their ideas onto him.

-James debuted taking after his late brother John, as the second "Thunderbird". He led a squad of Hellions (Empath, Roulette and a mind-controlled Firestar) against the X-Men, assaulting Banshee and holding him hostage. Some of the X-Men came to the rescue, but James ended up getting his true target- Charles Xavier, the man he blamed for John's death- alone. His powers temporarily disabled, Xavier was easy pickings, but James hesitated. He had the knife up over his head, ready to finish Xavier once and for all, but ultimately couldn't bring himself to do it- for all his hate, he couldn't commit cold-blooded murder on a helpless man. Called himself "only a craven COWARD!", a despondent James had to be counseled by Xavier, who forgave his adversary and was willing to bury the hatchet. James gave up his revenge... but notably never really interacted with Xavier again- some things were just too much to forgive entirely, I guess.

-James continued as leader of the Hellions, acting as a pretty good leader, prone to fewer mistakes than the passionate Dani and unsure-of-himself Sam on the New Mutants side- the Hellions were clever, sneaky and often got away with the win. However, as Claremont left the New Mutants series, the Hellions appeared less and less often, and soon James had disappeared. Finally, he split off from the group and went his own way, just as Cable was attempting to recruit him to his new group. James turned him down politely, saying he was going back home... only to find his entire reserve having been executed- wiped out by the Hellfire Club!

Warpath (1990s):
-James swore revenge, changing his name to "Warpath" and eagerly joined Cable's militaristic organization in "X-Force". Wearing his older brother's old costume, he was now the token "Strong Guy" of the team (a recurring trend in the 1990s, set off largely by the X-expansion adding one to most of the teams). This was a bit odd, however, as James in the New Mutants book had only been VAGUELY super-powered, with nobody ever actually detailing what his powers really were. He just seemed stronger and tougher than a normal guy- suddenly, he was now in the "Class 100-ish" brand of strong guys, equaling a "young Colossus" according to Cable's own guessing, with the size to match.

-Warpath often got a big role in fights, doing "hit stuff hard" activities like brawling with the Juggernaut (they were careful to point out that James never really had a chance, but he did hold the line)- since I was such a big fan, I got super-pissed every time he jobbed, which was... it wasn't really THAT often, but it felt like it to me. I can count his wins against Grizzly and Forearm (twice!), but he notably got blasted by Saul in a single hit (a surprise attack), lost badly to Strong Guy (who simply absorbed Warpath's punches and hit him back) during The X-Cutioner's Song, etc. He eventually revealed a huge crush on Siryn (which Cable seemed to already know about, even though all he'd done prior to that was flirt- "have your pretty blue eyes seen anything yet?"), helping to get her over her alcoholism in Ireland. However, a relationship never materialized- instead, he hooked up with some woman named Risque- a classic "bad girl" with ulterior motives.

-By the way, they mostly glossed over who killed his people in Camp Verde- though he first declared the Club to be the aggressors and swore to kill Emma Frost, she was soon rendered comatose and the Hellions were killed by Trevor Fitzroy- so that whole thing was moot. Instead, it turned out to be Stryfe, who killed them for no apparent reason. By this point, James had shifted a bit as a character, wearing X-Force's lame "purple shirts & yellow pants" outfit, looking like a slightly-taller-than-normal guy (instead of a nine-foot powerhouse like Tony Daniel drew him as) and for some reason learning how to fly, which became a weird recurring thing that writers liked to forget about. X-Force would soon be cancelled, and James would largely disappear as a character.

Modern-Day James:
-Warpath disappears for about ten years aside from one-offs here and there, but returns to a later X-Men squad, forming a relationship with Hepzibah (formerly of the Starjammers) and doing a lot of "Bad-Ass Knife Guy" stuff, rarely showcasing his past strength (nor his flight). He becomes a bit of a favored character for a while (under Ed Brubaker, who wrote a slightly grittier X-Men), getting to fight the Demon Bear (alongside Ghost Rider), mourning Caliban (who'd sacrificed himself to save James), and even becoming the central figure in the Necrosha X-Event, in which he fought his own brother's reanimated corpse, then killed Selene, the Black Queen- who'd caused the entire thing. Sadly, at the end of all this, he basically goes into retirement, having "made my peace", so any potential popularity he could've gained from that disappeared.

Proudstar's Stats:
-James is one of the more... variable... Mutant characters in Marvel. Whereas it's normal for guys to get more powerful over time, James has essentially been three entirely different characters- a "Just Above Human" guy (with the Hellions), a "Class 100 Powerhouse" (with X-Force), then a "Scrappy Knife Guy" (modern day). In The New Mutants, he was only a little taller than the other teenage characters, and more well-built than any of the skinny males. But once Liefeld took over, suddenly the kid was now seven feet tall and wide as a frickin' truck, and things only got WORSE later, as Tony Daniel drew him literally ten or eleven feet tall (enough to carry Siryn around and have her dwarfed by his ARM), really exaggerating his musculature and beefiness.

-This segued to later X-Force after I stopped reading, when all of a sudden James was back to being just a well-built guy, and was now all speedy and could climb ultra-fast. Then Warren Ellis' bizarre run saw him LEARN HOW TO FLY, which makes no sense given his power-set up till that point, and later X-writer Ed Brubaker concurred, as when James exited a decade-long stint in Marvel Limbo (not Illyana's Limbo), he'd lost that power, but suddenly became a much lower-strength Scrapper type, using Vibranium Knives as weapons. He also hooked up with Hepzibah of the Starjammers, and started using his advanced senses and stuff more often.

-Nowadays, he's set-up as a Flying Brick who dual-wields Unbreakable (well, mostly) Bowie Knives, kind of mixing two different Archetypes together, in addition to enhanced Senses & Tracking abilities. So he's fairly Skilled, a good fighter (plenty of Advantages, including Accurate Attack, which is rare for Powerhouses), does a lot of damage, and can modify many of his caps. Truly, they've turned my old fave into a high-level bad-ass. Overall, I put him at PL 11, though he's so variable at times that he could be lower. He doesn't make his full caps in anything other than with his Bowie Knives, but he's still up there.

WARPATH (James Proudstar, aka Thunderbird II)- X-Force Era
Created By:
Role: Team Strongman
Group Affiliations: The Hellions, X-Force
PL 10 (145)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Apache Native) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Perception 5 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignore All Damage For 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Startle, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 13 [13]

"Strength Feats"
"Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (13) -- [14]
  • AE: "Thunderclap" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (5)
Speed 3 (16 mph) (3) -- [4]
  • AE: Leaping 3 (60 feet) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12, Fortitude +14, Will +6

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)
Responsibility (Camp Verde Tribe)- A proud Apache, James strives to live up to the example of his people, especially after they were murdered by Stryfe.
Motivation (John Proudstar's Memory)- James worshipped his older brother John, the X-Men's short-lived Thunderbird, and this drives his entire life. He has still not entirely forgiven Charles Xavier for taking John away.
Relationship (Siryn)- James fell pretty hard for his pretty red-haired teammate, but she prefered to keep things friendly.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 9 (145)

-Here's Warpath as he appeared during the early days of X-Force, before the silly Flight power kicked in. He's basically a generic Powerhouse Build, packing Class 100-ish Super-Strength on top of some Speed, Impervious Toughness and a handful of Skills & Advantages, but he's generally much less than his later version. He's actually a bit STRONGER, though, as Warpath's strength feats went WAY down in his later years as a character, as they shifted his power set around. The days of slugging it out with The Juggernaut & Strong Guy are over, and he fights far differently. Never mind the fact that he was like nine feet tall in some shots (Tony Daniel REALLY made him look huge), and is just a fairly-built guy these days.

THUNDERBIRD II (James Proudstar)- Hellions Era
Created By:
Role: Team Strongman
Group Affiliations: The Hellions
PL 7 (89)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Apache Native) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Speed 2 (2) -- [3]
  • AE: Leaping 2 (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 11 (89)

-James as Thunderbird II was a pretty good all-around PL 7 Melee Fighter guy, but his powers were quite vague. He KO'd Banshee easily with one shot, and Wolverine vouched for his hitting power, but he never really had any major strength feats to his name during his run. This is part of what makes James so weird- a Mini-Powerhouse build converts to a Class 80-ish super-heavyweight, which converts to a Flying Scrapper Weapon Guy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bird-Brain! Wolfsbane! Cypher! Warlock! Thunderbird! Warpath!)

Post by Horsenhero »

This is what happens when comic writers don't quantify a characters' abilities (at the very least in the companies' "eyes only" bio. They disappear and writers forget crap or just add random crap because they want to use the characters' visual, but couldn't give a crap about the actual character.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bird-Brain! Wolfsbane! Cypher! Warlock! Thunderbird! Warpath!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Horsenhero wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:01 pm This is what happens when comic writers don't quantify a characters' abilities (at the very least in the companies' "eyes only" bio. They disappear and writers forget crap or just add random crap because they want to use the characters' visual, but couldn't give a crap about the actual character.
Brubaker at least DELIBERATELY left the "Flight" off... though I don't know if he ever explained in-story. A later writer apparently joked that James was "embarrassed" about it.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Karma! Cannonball! Lila Cheney! Magma!)

Post by drkrash »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:37 am
drkrash wrote:I've been away for a few days, so I'm not caught up yet, but I'm psyched to see Toshinden builds! :)

I would have loved to see the challenge of you trying to build some of the Toshinden 3 guys. That was the first game I bought for my Playstation.

Toshinden 4 is something of a grail-game for me still, even though I've read its terrible.
Hah, checking my old builds out, I saw you make the same point about Toshinden 3. I'd have gladly statted it, if it wasn't for the GIGANTIC roster- it was a few too many guys I wasn't familiar with.
That's funny. I played the game to death and I still don't know who they are. There was the potential for some weird backstories there, but the sad truth is that they were probably never intended to be anything beyond palette swaps to pad the roster.

That game also had a weird feature that allowed you to play at 30 fps (with full blown shitty graphics) or 60 fps (for high-speed shittier graphics).
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Risque

Post by Jabroniville »

RISQUE (Gloria Dolores Muñoz)
Created By:
Jeph Loeb & Adam Pollina
First Appearance: X-Force #51 (Feb. 1996)
Role: Bad Girl
Group Affiliations: X-Force, X-Corporation
PL 8 (93)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+6)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Street Rat) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Gravity-Tossed Objects) 2 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Localized Gravity-Fields"
"Crush & Move" Blast 4 (Extras: Penetrating) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) Linked to Move Object 8 (24) -- [25]
  • AE: Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Owes Sledge)- Risque owes Sledge for a favor done in her past. She introduces Warpath to him as her end of the deal.
Relationship (Warpath)- The two are together for a brief time, but split when it turns out she started the relationship under false pretenses (see above).

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 12 (93)

-Risque debuted in X-Force as a Bad Girl with intent to hit on Warpath, and soon they come to fall in love, just as he was getting over Siryn, who naturally was immediately annoyed. When it turns out that she'd met him in order to fulfill a favor she owed a man named Sledge, they split up. This was pretty much the end of her use in the X-Books, though she showed up for a one-off involving Pele and the Lava Men, but "Risque" turned out to be Pele in disguise. It was X-Limbo for her after this, as she joined that X-Corporation thing that was mainly used to keep un-used characters around. Doing that (basically keeping tabs on mutant activity around the globe), she was killed by one of a group of John Sublime's agents OFF-PANEL. You know you're a minor character WHEN...

-Risque has the weird power of "Localized Gravity-Fields", which basically makes her a Generic Blaster & Move Object character.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Magik

Post by Jabroniville »

MAGIK (Illyana Nikolievna Rasputin)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: Giant-Size X-Men #1 (May 1975)/Uncanny X-Men #160
Role: The Bad Girl, The Dark One
Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, Limbo
PL 10 (257) on Earth, PL 12 (257) in Limbo, PL 14 (257) Versus Magical Beings
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+2)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Soulsword) 4 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 13 (+14)
Expertise (Queen of Limbo) 5 (+6)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 10 (+12)
Perception 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 4 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Benefit 3 (Queen of Limbo), Diehard, Equipment (X-Uniform), Fascinate (Intimidation), Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist, Set-Up

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Stepping Discs"
 "Moving Across Earth Via Limbo" Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Velocity, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Extended Only +0, Easy, Portal +2) (56) -- [59]
  • AE: "Stepping Disc to Limbo Attack" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1) (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Attack 10, Ranged 10, Easy) (32) 
  • AE: "Stepping Disc to Limbo" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1, Time Travel 2) (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Easy, Portal +2) (Flaws: Time Travel is Uncontrolled) (16)
  • AE: "Summon Limbo Demon" Summon 6 (Extras: Multiple Minions) (18)
Senses 1 (Magical Awareness) [1]
"Mental Shield" Immunity 10 (Mental Attacks) [10]

"Queen of Limbo" (Flaws: All Powers Limited to Limbo Only)
"Eldritch Bolts" Blast 12 (Feats: Variable Descriptor 2, Penetrating 12) (26) -- [31]
  • AE: "Extra-Sensory Perception" Remote Sensing (All Senses) 8 (4,000 feet) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenseless) (24)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 12 (12)
  • AE: "Mystic Shield" Protection 10 (Extras: Sustained +0, Affects Others) (10)
  • AE: "Create Unholy Objects" Create 5 (Extras: Continuous) (10)
  • AE: "Mystic Bonds" Snare 10 (20)
"Soulsword Summoning" (Feats: Restricted 2- Illyana or Someone She Chooses) (Extras: Summonable- May Appear in Her Hands) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [54]
Nullify Magic Effects 15 (Extras: Broad, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (45)
Linked to
Damage 18 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating) (Flaws: Limited to Magical Beings) (20)
-- (65 points)

Equipment:
X-Men Uniform (+1 Protection, Communications)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Soulsword +10 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Nullify Magic +10 (+15 Nullify, DC 25)
Eldritch Bolts +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Mystic Bonds +10 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Stepping Disc Attack +10 (+10 Teleport Attack, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 Uniform, +12 Limbo Shield), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications: 
Prejudice (Mutant)
Reputation (Evil Psycho)- Her teammates like her (well, LIKED), but everybody else views her as a soulless monster who can and would betray absolutely anybody. She's not doing much to prevent this, and even her closest friends have been hesitant to get to close to her.
Responsibility (Ruler of Limbo)- Limbo's forces are powerful, but quick to betray at a moment's notice.
Enemy (Belasco)
Relationship (Colossus- Brother)- Magik is Colossus' "Little Snowflake", and he was very protective. For her part, Magik seemed close to him, but also kept him at an arm's length, having seen him die before, and realising that she's too evil to stain so pure a soul.
Relationship (Kitty Pryde)- The two were best buddies back in the day, and are getting close again now that both are non-dead.
Power Loss (Magic)- In addition to being usable only in Limbo, Magik requires her hands free and un-bound to use her powers.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 155 / Defenses: 20 (257)

Magik- The Dark Horse of the New Mutants:
-The New Mutants series was already quite good, and had a strong start, but they didn't REALLY come into their own until Magik arrived. Basically replacing the flat Karma character with a vaguely-Satanic witch-princess, a little girl stripped of her innocence and childhood by being teleported to Limbo to become the slave of Demon Prince Belasco. A great four-issue Limited Series showcased little Illyana learning White Magic alongside Limbo's version of Storm (there was some confusing-ass stuff going on regarding parallel timelines and stuff... just ignore it), swordfighting alongside Kitty Pryde, and Black Magic alongside Belasco when he finally gained control over her. She nonetheless fought back, defeating him with all her combined experience, and saved her soul be refusing to take the Demon Prince's life when she had the chance- a moment of mercy that spared her, as Belasco is immortal within Limbo, as Storm (who'd slain him prior, and thus damned herself) taught her. Magik teleported back to Earth at the same moment she left as a little girl, leaving everyone a little confused.

-Magik was a CLASSIC "Bad Girl", saying mean things, being nasty to the bad guys, and often condemning common henchmen to being shredded by Limbo's Demons (which her teammates rarely chided her for- despite the implications of what fate would befall anyone who fell into that domain), and there was this constant impression that her soul was condemned to Hell, and she would go evil some day. Magickal Armour kept appearing on her in slowly-increasing amounts over time, as she grew more and more demonic with time. But again, we come to the whole "Mutants As Rebel" thing. If Goth had been popular back then, then Magik would be Goth as Hell- a rebellious, nasty, potentially-evil chick? Now THAT's Teen Rebellion! There are several issues which show that while she fears and hates her evil side... part of her absolutely revels in the darkness, pleading for those moments where she can lash out and tear people apart. One of the many great bits in the New Mutants/Hellions rivalry featured her scaring the shit out of Empath by latching onto him and dancing around the room with the guy- his powers could not affect her, and she let him know that in a moment of pique, she could doom him to Limbo. It's like... Magik was GOOD- but evil was a PART of her.

-A lot of story material was gotten out of Magik's powers and status as Limbo's ruler. Oftentimes, S'ym would attempt to stage rebellions, and Magik would have to put him in his place- eventually, he was infected with the Techno-Organic Virus by The Magus, and his techno-demons would scour much of Limbo and endanger Magik every time she returned (only her Soulsword could defend her). Other times, Magik's "Stepping Discs" would teleport the New Mutants all OVER the place, thus sparking a storyline or two that involved Future Timelines and all sorts of stuff Claremont loved.

-Magik seemed pretty clearly the most popular member of the New Mutants- she got a huge amount of focus in storylines, she was written as Kitty Pryde's best friend and the little sister of Colossus (meaning she got to hang out with the X-Men in their own book as well), she was the only team member to have multiple personal enemies, and more. As a young lad, I recall reading ENDLESS letters in my early '90s X-Books, with fans BEGGING for the return of Magik- pleading to see our little Devil Girl returned. I mean, this was constant. As someone who'd never seen the character (and couldn't figure out all of the backstory to her, or why it was funny for Colossus to answer "how old is our sister?" with "That depends on who you ask"), I was nonetheless all "woah- this lady is POPULAR".

Magik Goes "Full Evil":
-Magik's slowly-building "Soul Armor" thing would result in a full-on Darkchylde form, long after Claremont had left the book to Louise Simonson. Things finally came to a head during Inferno, with Illyana going a bit psycho and fighting the X-Men's Forge (who was naturally also a Mystical Indian Shaman). Unfortunately, I thought that whole story was pretty bad- coming across more as Claremont doing a bunch of acid and then writing than something he actually bothered to plot effectively, and Louise Simonson's issues of the Cross-Over resultedin Illyana fully changing over to the Darkchylde, but sacrificing herself and her Soulsword to stop the demonic invasion, producing the original young girl Illyana again.

-Fans went NUTS over this, as the Letters Pages at the time was full of nothing but "Please bring Magik back!" for YEARS, well into the X-Force days. Turns out that Bad Girl Jailbait appeals to some people, I guess. She was in one of Rob Liefeld's early sketches for his "X-Force" team, but nothing ever came of it- young Illyana was simply sent back to Russia, with her teammates being forced to mourn the loss of her friend, just in time for Warlock to also croak.

Illyana The Little Girl:
-But yeah, she was a GREAT character, and a big symbol of the series and the decade, since the character never made it to the '90s. By the time we saw young Illyana again, she was kidnapped by government agents and taken to the X-Mansion, where, in the most depressing story EVER, she slowly and painfully succumbed as the first victim of The Legacy Virus, a big '90s Plot Device to get rid of lame characters (that I only realize now was kind of a commentary on AIDS). Fans were upset again, threatening to stop reading forever, etc., but it had way more emotional impact than almost anything else in that decade- it was horrifying and sad to see a group of super-powered adults slowly watch as a young girl (whom Emma Frost later described as "impossibly-innocent") died, and there was nothing all of these godlike people could do to stop it- it's something that's WAY more primally-terrifying than any amount of common super-villainy or Refrigerator Stuffing. Colossus had some of his greatest moments at this point, missing out on his sister's death while on a mission, and going berserk and nearly murdering Trevor "Crappy Villain" Fitzroy. Later, at her funeral, the broken Russian rejected Xavier's Dream and moved in with Magneto's Acolytes.

The Return of Magik:
-They teased "Magik" returns for YEARS, bringing out a series with lame background character Amanda Sefton as the ruler of Limbo, before FINALLY pulling the trigger a few years back, bringing newbie Pixie into things, and Illyana was back as a dark-minded, sarcastic, vicious young woman, who rejoined her brother and the New Mutants once more. The resulting storyline is so confusing on Wikipedia that I can't even hope to figure out what happened (Belasco made a Clone Darkchylde, but rejected it since it wasn't really her, but she found the Young X-Men, took part of Pixie's soul, then had the memories of Magik-Illyana return to her after some stuff), but what the hell? Magik is back, and that's all that matters- she's been seen taking all kinds of horrible risks, gaining horrible revenge on the Demon Lords of Limbo, manipulated her teammates into doing so (thus risking all their lives), and joined Cyclops' renegage X-Men, becoming such a nasty person in the process that FRIGGIN' COLOSSUS has flat-out stated that he wants to kill her. Her status as part of the "Cyclops's Renegade X-Men" thing is one of many potential concerns, as hard penchant for darkness and sorta-evil actions is well known.

-Few characters ever toe the line between good and evil as well as Illyana Rasputin has- there's always the question as to HOW evil she is at any given moment. She's prone to nasty jokes and intimidation, but there's always that sense that she really IS that dark and twisted inside. As far back as her New Mutants days, she was extraordinarily multi-faceted- as much as she hated her evil side, she also reveled in its destructiveness. Essentially teen life in a nutshell. However, these days, she's just kind of a "Potentially-Evil Heroine" who doesn't actually DO a whole lot, aside from stand around and look cool in her skank-tastic outfit with a giant headdress and sword.

Magik's Might:
-Magik is... not an easy character to fit into effective PL stats. She was easily one of the toughest of my "PL 10 (150) Player Character X-Men" run, so I didn't even bother here. To say she was horrendously affected by the 3e's high cost of Skills and Teleport would be pretty accurate- her powers cost 130 points by themselves, mostly thanks to a powerful Extended Teleport with the Portal +2 Extra. I don't entirely disagree with the points-cost there, as Teleport is probably one of the biggest Game-Breakers of all time, in comics and out, but WOW. Essentially, on Earth she's a PL 10 Teleport Attacker, able to send evil people to Limbo with a Ranged attack. Against Magical beings (anyone from Demons to Dr. Strange), she's a PL 13.5 Melee Fighter, or a PL 11.5 Nullifier, able to wipe out all sorts of Magickal Powers (at once, too- I'd initially statted up the Soulsword with the Damage as an Alternate Effect- I think it's actually more likely a LINKED ATTACK, combining a Nullify with Damage. And keep in mind many Magically-Powered Beings require Force Fields (a Nullifiable Magical Power) to attain full Toughness.

-While in Limbo, she's a PL 11 Sorceress, with a great deal of magical power. She can Summon Demons, make a Soulsword (I had to Jury-Rig a Device that was Summonable- I figure it's a fair thing to make a disarm-able weapon a -1 Flaw in those circumstances... not that this build makes any attempt at being cost-conscious), and is pretty good at fighting.

-So Magik's both really versatile and really limited, only doing maximum damage to Magic creatures or Psionic Entities, and only being able to use her Magic in Limbo. But MAN is that a powerful attack- using it, she's one-shotted beings as powerful as The Demon Bear, and she's probably one of the few people in comics who could take out Doctor Strange or Doctor Fate in a single melee round. Hell, I remember some fans bitching about a modern New Mutants issue where Magik sent the team into Limbo and they got attacked by Dormammu, complaining that Dormammu had a poor showing against Illyana... I immediately countered that the fact that Dormammu freaking SURVIVED THAT FIGHT is in actuality the greatest showing he could possibly have- this is a character who is practically BORN to slay Magical Demon Lords- Captain Flame-Head is lucky as hell she wasn't really pissed, or he'd have been exterminated.

MAGIK (Illyana Nikolievna Rasputin)- Middle New Mutants Era
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: Giant-Size X-Men #1 (May 1975)/Uncanny X-Men #160
Role: The Bad Girl, The Dark One
Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, Limbo
PL 7 (222) on Earth, PL 11 (222) in Limbo, PL 14 (222) Versus Magical Beings
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Athletics 3 (+2)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Close Combat (Soulsword) 3 (+9)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 12 (+12)
Expertise (Queen of Limbo) 5 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Benefit 3 (Queen of Limbo), Equipment (X-Uniform), Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Stepping Discs"
 "Moving Across Earth Via Limbo" Teleport 9 (Feats: Change Velocity, Easy, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Extended Only +0, Portal +2) (43) -- [46]
  • AE: "Stepping Disc to Limbo Attack" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1) (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Easy, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Attack 7, Ranged 7) (24) 
  • AE: "Stepping Disc to Limbo" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1, Time Travel 2) (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Easy, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Portal +2) (Flaws: Time Travel is Uncontrolled) (14)
  • AE: "Summon Limbo Demon" Summon 6 (Extras: Multiple Minions) (18)
Senses 1 (Magical Awareness) [1]
"Mental Shield" Immunity 2 (Mind-Reading) [2]

"Queen of Limbo" (Flaws: All Powers Limited to Limbo Only)
"Catalogue of White & Black Magic" Enhanced Advantages 4: Luck 4 [2]
"Eldritch Bolts" Blast 11 (Feats: Variable Descriptor) (Extras: Penetrating) (23) -- [28]
  • AE: "Extra-Sensory Perception" Remote Sensing (All Senses) 5 (250 feet) (20)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 11 (11)
  • AE: "Mystic Shield" Protection 8 (Extras: Sustained +0, Affects Others) (8)
  • AE: "Create Unholy Objects" Create 5 (Extras: Continuous) (10)
  • AE: "Mystic Bonds" Snare 10 (20)
"Soulsword Summoning" (Feats: Restricted 2- Illyana or Somone She Chooses) (Extras: Summonable) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [54]
Nullify Magic Effects 15 (Extras: Broad, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (45)
Linked to
Damage 18 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating) (Flaws: Limited to Magical Beings) (20)
-- (65 points)

"Darkchylde Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 7) (13 points)

Equipment:
X-Men Uniform (+1 Protection, Communications)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Soulsword +9 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Nullify Magic +9 (+15 Nullify, DC 25)
Eldritch Bolts +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Mystic Bonds +10 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Teleport Attack +6 (+7 Teleport Attack, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+3 Uniform, +8 Darkchylde Armour), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications: 
Prejudice (Mutant)
Reputation (Evil Psycho)- Her teammates like her, but everybody else views her as a soulless monster who can and would betray absolutely anybody. She's not doing much to prevent this.
Responsibility (Ruler of Limbo)- Limbo's forces are powerful, but quick to betray at a moment's notice.
Secret (Darkchylde)- Illyana is slowly transforming into the Darkchylde, losing more of herself, and gaining more armour, every time she uses her Soulsword.
Enemy (Belasco)
Relationship (Colossus- Brother)- Magik is Colossus' "Little Snowflake", and he was very protective. For her part, Magik seemed close to him, but also kept him at an arm's length, having seen him die before, and realising that she's too evil to stain so pure a soul.
Relationship (Kitty Pryde)- The two were best buddies back in the day, and are getting close again now that both are non-dead.
Power Loss (Magic)- In addition to being usable only in Limbo, Magik requires her hands free and un-bound to use her powers.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 143 / Defenses: 13 (220)

-Yeah, PL 7-ish Illyana isn't any cheaper really, still costing over 200 points on a team full of people barely breaking 100. My advice to players doing a New Mutants campaign is to either ignore her Limbo self entirely, or otherwise de-power the crap out of her :). Thank God I'm not doing PCs this time around.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
danelsan

Re: Jab's Builds! (Wolfsbane! Cypher! Warlock! Thunderbird! Warpath! Magik!)

Post by danelsan »

Hey, look, Magik from before she stole Cloud Strife's sword!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

danelsan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:23 am Hey, look, Magik from before she stole Cloud Strife's sword!
And when her hip to waist ratio implied she still ate human food!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

I never much cared for Magik. She just seemed to "power-geek" for New Mutants, not to mention the needlessly complicated "look, alternate dimension/future/cosplayer X-Men died again and this time it was by Belasco (who started as a Ka-Zar villain, right? Freakin' Ka-Zar and now he's destroying the X-Men!?!) only there was a Storm, but not our Storm only it might be our Storm because Claremont has done so many drugs he can no longer keep the number of "alternate timeline but maybe not" stories he's written straight!

But I digress.

Anyway...so, Magik, yeah. Not her biggest fan. I figure the only reason Claremont didn't make her the "most powerful, omega level sorcerer" in the MU is editorial told him no. When Claremont is on, he's ON, but when he's not...you get, Warlock and Magik and a Ka-Zar villain (who can't even clap) all as central characters. What is it with Claremont and Ka-Zar villains anyway? He also tried to pawn off Garrok the Petrified Man as a legit team wrecking threat.

Though I'll give Magik this much, next to Rusty, Skids, Bird-Boy, Shatterstar, Feral and Doop, she's made of solid gold.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

scc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:12 pm Nice Magus build. Didn't he rip a sun in half or something when he was chasing down his son? Grant you that would be hard to stat in the M&M system.
I threw that into the array as such:
AE: "Destroy Worlds" Weaken Toughness 20 (Feats: Extended Reach 10) (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to Planets) (70)
Given that planets & stars effectively have no defenses, they're pretty helpless against that kind of thing.