Jab's Dinosaur Builds!: Plateosaurus! Europasaurus!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Paraceratherium! Brontotheres! Camels!)

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:15 pm I had an uncle who was willing to walk a mile for his camels.
Your uncle did not have to walk. He should have rode his camels for the mile.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:44 pm Back in the '90s and 2000s I hit at least 5 deer, in 4 incidents, with various cars.
Why? Were they bad?
Goldar

Re: Reindeer

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:16 am Image

REINDEER (Rangifer tarandus)
Role:
Herd Animal, Santa's Sleigh-Driver
PL 4 (39)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7
Normal Version:
PL 1-2
STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+2 Size)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Antlers)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Antlers" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +1 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Antlers +2 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Reindeer cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (The Rut)- During mating season, males of the Cervidae Family will go all-out in competing with each other for the ladies. These take the form of brutal head-butting contests that leave them exhausted, and some dead.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 7 (39)

Era: Modern
Range: Plains of North America, Asia & Europe
Stereotypes: A bit dopey. Possible sleigh-drivers.
Colouring: Brown & white
Size: Up to 7 feet long (260-660 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Wild herds of 3-25 creatures.
Diet: Grass & vegetation
Tactics: Flee using speed or attack all-out with powerful antlers.

-The names of Cervids in North America and Europe are all kinds of messed up. Quick primer: What Europeans call Elk, North Americans call Moose (because early explorers to the latter mistook another animal for Elk, requiring a new name for the actual animal). What we ended up calling Elk are also known as Wapiti. And Europe's Reindeer are called Caribou over here, unless they're Santa's Reindeer, who curiously keep the same name (flying animals are common mounts in almost all religions, but these managed to stick and are now by far the most famous). They are the only domesticated deer species, used mostly for draught work.

-Reindeer are common on all the Arctic regions, circling the globe, but various populations are endangered and the species overall is classified as "Vulnerable". Many Arctic cultures have based their entire culture around following the Reindeer herds, and it's one of the few cervids with both males and females growing antlers, which are the largest compared to body mass of any living deer species. Males shed theirs after the rut, and females after they calve later on- females outrank males during the time when only they have antlers.

-The Reindeer are the same PL as common Deer, and only a notch more expensive, but are more focused towards Strength and Toughness. The Elk/Wapiti use similar stats, being only a hundred pounds smaller. The same stats also go to the huge Asian deer, the Sambar. Elk differ from Caribou with their pointier antlers, and they're generally a little less furry.
Yay! Reindeer!

You need to include Santa's Special Reindeer (the ones that fly thanks to the Winter Wizard).
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:06 am
Ken wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:15 pm I had an uncle who was willing to walk a mile for his camels.
Old cigarette slogan. Image
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:07 am
Ken wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:44 pm Back in the '90s and 2000s I hit at least 5 deer, in 4 incidents, with various cars.
Why? Were they bad?
Yes. They didn't know to look both ways before crossing the street, and that playing in the road is a bad idea.

I was driving on a country highway to get to and from work, often in the dark, and with just enough hills that... well.

My uncle killed more. But he was a hunter. He flew from Florida to North Dakota every fall to go deer hunting. I assume he brought his kills back as carrion luggage.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:41 pm
Goldar wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:06 am
Old cigarette slogan. Image
She looks scary. And desperate. I'd rather ride the camel for the mile! :lol:
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:44 pm
Why? Were they bad?
Yes. They didn't know to look both ways before crossing the street, and that playing in the road is a bad idea.

I was driving on a country highway to get to and from work, often in the dark, and with just enough hills that... well.

My uncle killed more. But he was a hunter. He flew from Florida to North Dakota every fall to go dear hunting. I assume he brought his kills back as carrion luggage.
...or carry-on luggage! (smelly!) :o
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:44 pm
Why? Were they bad?

My uncle killed more. But he was a hunter. He flew from Florida to North Dakota every fall to go dear hunting. I assume he brought his kills back as carrion luggage.
Some great puns... And then I came across dear hunting. I hope that one was a typo.

Then again, didn't Vegas have paint ball places where time boys hunt naked\ scantily clad women?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Santa's Reindeer

Post by Jabroniville »

SANTA'S REINDEER
Role:
PL 6 (55)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7
Normal Version:
PL 1-2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+2 Size)

Advantages:

Powers:

"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Antlers +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Reindeer cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (The Rut)- During mating season, males of the Cervidae Family will go all-out in competing with each other for the ladies. These take the form of brutal head-butting contests that leave them exhausted, and some dead.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 7 (63)

-Santa's Reindeer are part of the mythos of Santa Claus, but are known to pop culture by the 1823 Clement Clarke Moore poem A Visit From St. Nicholas (typically called 'Twas the Night Before Christmas now). The original poem includes "Donder & Blixem"- "Thunder and Lightning" in the Dutch of the time, but this was later altered into Donner & Blitzen. And then a random poem from 1938 (and a song adding music from 1949) called Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer came out, adding a ninth to the popular line-up. This line-up is so embedded in our culture that L. Frank Baum's ten named ones (Flossie and Glossie, Racer and Pacer, Fearless and Peerless, Ready and Steady, Feckless and Speckless) have been completely ignored.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:49 pmSome great puns... And then I came across dear hunting. I hope that one was a typo.
It was.

Ken

Re: Santa's Reindeer

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:56 am Image

SANTA'S REINDEER
Role:
Normal Version:
PL 1-2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+2 Size)

Advantages:

Powers:

Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 7 (63)

-Santa's Reindeer are part of the mythos of Santa Claus, but are known to pop culture by the 1823 Clement Clarke Moore poem A Visit From St. Nicholas (typically called 'Twas the Night Before Christmas now). The original poem includes "Donder & Blixem"- "Thunder and Lightning" in the Dutch of the time, but this was later altered into Donner & Blitzen. And then a random poem from 1938 (and a song adding music from 1949) called Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer came out, adding a ninth to the popular line-up. This line-up is so embedded in our culture that L. Frank Baum's ten named ones (Flossie and Glossie, Racer and Pacer, Fearless and Peerless, Ready and Steady, Feckless and Speckless) have been completely ignored.
500 mph? Dude. They get all over the planet in one night. 500 mph just won't cut it.

Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:56 am Image

SANTA'S REINDEER
Role:
Normal Version:
PL 1-2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+2 Size)

Advantages:

Powers:

Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:

Complications:

500 mph? Dude. They get all over the planet in one night. 500 mph just won't cut it.
...and not just all over the world but to virtually every home on the planet----probably light-speed is needed---especially since by 3 or 4 AM, Santa is gone! Back to the North Pole. It is not a full night, but simply a few hours and then Santa is gone! Could also explain the flash of light and sudden appearance/disappearance of Santa that the few who see him mention......
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:15 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 pm 500 mph? Dude. They get all over the planet in one night. 500 mph just won't cut it.
...and not just all over the world but to virtually every home on the planet----probably light-speed is needed---especially since by 3 or 4 AM, Santa is gone! Back to the North Pole. It is not a full night, but simply a few hours and then Santa is gone! Could also explain the flash of light and sudden appearance/disappearance of Santa that the few who see him mention......
Assuming midnight to 4 am gives him 28 hours, given planetary rotaion and time zones. But still, yes, light speed is needed.

Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm
Goldar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:15 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 pm 500 mph? Dude. They get all over the planet in one night. 500 mph just won't cut it.
Assuming midnight to 4 am gives him 28 hours, given planetary rotaion and time zones. But still, yes, light speed is needed.
Yes, much agreed!
Shock

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Mule Deer! Large Deer! Reindeer!)

Post by Shock »

The reindeer are fast but I think hitching them to the sleigh gives them a boost. Also, I think the logistics are best explained by Santa having the ability to be in multiple places at once, just for that one day. You never hear about him being in a hurry. He's always got time for a quick wink, a sly nod (or a kiss for Mommy).