Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Equinox! Onslaught! Torpedo I-III! Captain Ultra!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:28 pm It'd actually be kind of hilarious if Ultra showed up to stop some criminals, they shoot at him, and he falls over bleeding. The crook's reaction to this is pure joy. "I've been shooting at superheroes for 18 years and this is the first time it's actually worked!"

It'd make sense maybe if the outfit is actually armored to give him some protection, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.
Heh, that reminds me of Beeman from The Adventures of Dr. McNinja.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ares wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:08 pm
Sidney369 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:51 pm here's the costume he wore when he was part of the Initiative
On one hand, it takes away his visual uniqueness. On the other, it's debatable whether or not that's a bad thing.
I'd say it is a bad thing, because other than his visual uniqueness, all Captain Ultra has going for him is that he's a relatively low-powered joke hero. Its like they went from the most garishly colored, overly detailed outfit since Jack of Hearts, and replaced it with the most boring, generic outfit you'd expect to find on a low-budget superhero movie.
The color scheme needs to be changed up, and a chest symbol of some kind, definitely. But it actually looks like body armor-and of course, if the guy wasn't a total moron (and didn't have to live by comic book tropes), he'd be wearing enough armor plate to stop machine gun fire, since even the low-end estimate of Captain Ultra's strength allows him to press NINE TONS. The weight is not going to impede him at all. And a utility belt? Yeah, makes sense-a flier with enhanced vision doesn't need pricey gadgets to be pretty effective, when a few smoke grenades and maybe a steel-cable net would do against ground-bound opponents. See, I'd love a chance to write a character who's just powerful and resourceful enough to punch above his weight class, without being Batman.

All my best.
Jabroniville

The Empathoid

Post by Jabroniville »

THE EMPATHOID
Created By:
Archie Goodwin, Gerry Conway & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 (May 1977)
Role: A Different Kind of Kill-O-Bot
Group Affiliations: Some Alien Race
PL 9 (170)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Fast Grab

Powers:
"Android Physiology"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Insubstantial 4 [20]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [9]
Protection 4 [4]
Immortality 10 [20]

"Possession"
Mind Control 10 (Extras: Possession, Continuous +3, Affects Corporeal) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) [70]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Possession +8 (+10 Affliction, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Motivation (Eating Emotions)
Vulnerable (Over-Eating)- Emotions of too high a strength, in too much density, will cause the Empathoid to shut down.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 153 / Defenses: 6 (170)

-The Empathoid is an Emotion-Eating Android that threatened Spider-Man in a pretty goofy-sounding story- he possessed Morbius (who for some reason was on an alien planet), went to Earth and began causing mass panic in order to feast on emotions better. He then possessed Spider-Man, but Spidey went to a football game, where the athletes' emotions were too much for the android, shutting it down. Spidey took the inanimate robot to the Baxter Building, where Reed Richards took it for safekeeping- it has never reappeared, and may have been destroyed by the time the building exploded.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: The Empathoid

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:07 am Image

THE EMPATHOID
Created By:
Archie Goodwin, Gerry Conway & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 (May 1977)
Role: A Different Kind of Kill-O-Bot
Group Affiliations: Some Alien Race
PL 9 (170)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Fast Grab

Powers:
"Android Physiology"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Insubstantial 4 [20]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [9]
Protection 4 [4]
Immortality 10 [20]

"Possession"
Mind Control 10 (Extras: Possession, Continuous +3, Affects Corporeal) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) [70]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Possession +8 (+10 Affliction, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Motivation (Eating Emotions)
Vulnerable (Over-Eating)- Emotions of too high a strength, in too much density, will cause the Empathoid to shut down.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 153 / Defenses: 6 (170)

-The Empathoid is an Emotion-Eating Android that threatened Spider-Man in a pretty goofy-sounding story- he possessed Morbius (who for some reason was on an alien planet), went to Earth and began causing mass panic in order to feast on emotions better. He then possessed Spider-Man, but Spidey went to a football game, where the athletes' emotions were too much for the android, shutting it down. Spidey took the inanimate robot to the Baxter Building, where Reed Richards took it for safekeeping- it has never reappeared, and may have been destroyed by the time the building exploded.
I never heard of this guy!

But he sort of looks like the Vision stripped of his skivvies! :lol:
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

Anyone know off the top of their head the issue in which Peter allowed the goons to beat up Bluebird?

EDIT: Untold Tales of Spider-Man Vol 1 #13
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Cinder wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:23 am Anyone know off the top of their head the issue in which Peter allowed the goons to beat up Bluebird?

Here's the scene in question:
Spoiler

And the scene a little later with her accident. Fair warning about the accident, it's not super gory, but it doesn't pull any punches either.
Spoiler

So yeah, Peter let her get hit once to teach her a lesson, which apparently worked. But she was ultimately a teenager who got a dumb idea in her head and did something stupid. It's a tragically real thing that has happened throughout human history.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

It's foolish for Peter to blame himself. "If I hadn't convinced her to not risk her life in one stupid way, she wouldn't have died trying to find another."
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:02 am
Cinder wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:23 am Anyone know off the top of their head the issue in which Peter allowed the goons to beat up Bluebird?

And the scene a little later with her accident. Fair warning about the accident, it's not super gory, but it doesn't pull any punches either.
So yeah, Peter let her get hit once to teach her a lesson, which apparently worked. But she was ultimately a teenager who got a dumb idea in her head and did something stupid. It's a tragically real thing that has happened throughout human history.
Oh, that's nowhere near as bad as what I was picturing when I read the bio. I was thinking it was some mass beatdown and Spidey was just standing there; not just sitting by to see her get slugged in the gut.
Jabroniville

Excaliber

Post by Jabroniville »

EXCALIBER (Jason "Slappy" Struthers)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: Spider-Woman #2 (May 1978)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (103)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 2/10 AGILITY 2/3
FIGHTING 2/8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Thief) 6 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Power Attack

Powers:
"Copy of Excalibur" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [46]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Enhanced Stamina 8 (16)
Enhanced Agility 1 (2)
Enhanced Fighting 6 (12)
"Stun Bolts" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (16) -- (17)
  • AE: "Sword Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10)
"Control Steeds" Enhanced Strength & Stamina 1 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0) (Flaws: Limited to Steeds) (2)
Mind Control 5 (Extras: Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Steeds) (15)
-- (76 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Enhanced Strength +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Sword +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2 (+3 Sword)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+10 Sword), Fortitude +2 (+10 Sword), Will +2

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Without The Sword)- The possession ends whenever Struthers lets go of the sword- he may be disinclined to pick it back up.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 5 (103)

-"Slappy" Struthers was the most unfortunately-named thief in existence, and was out to steal Excalibur itself from The London Museum- alas, it turns out that the sword was a copy created by Morgan Le Fay, and he got possessed by the spirit of one of Morgan's knights. Le Fay used him against Magnus The Magician & Spider-Woman, but knocking the Sword from his hand ended the possession. The character subsequently NEVER reappeared, and since Chris Claremont created Excalibur for Marvel in the next decade, he probably never will.

-Excaliber was powerful enough to shrug off Jessica's Venom Blasts, and derail trains with his sword, but that Easily-Removable Flaw is a HUGE deal. Also, he can turn regular Police Horses into a Personal Steed (I'm assuming its just tougher).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:19 am It's foolish for Peter to blame himself. "If I hadn't convinced her to not risk her life in one stupid way, she wouldn't have died trying to find another."
The Human Torch eventually makes it clear to Peter that he shouldn't blame himself. Pete did his best to stop her from doing something stupid. It wasn't his fault she did something else equally stupid. Peter eventually acknowledges the Torch is right, just that it's a lesson that'll take a while to set in.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:36 am
Ares wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:02 am

Oh, that's nowhere near as bad as what I was picturing when I read the bio. I was thinking it was some mass beatdown and Spidey was just standing there; not just sitting by to see her get slugged in the gut.
Yeah, Peter just let her take a single hit that he could have stopped, beat the bad guys while she tried to get her air back, and then read her the riot act after. He didn't let them brutalize her, but he did let her get a sample of what being a superhero is actually like. Sometimes you get hit, and getting hit hurts.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Excaliber

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:37 am Image

EXCALIBER (Jason "Slappy" Struthers)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: Spider-Woman #2 (May 1978)
I'd never heard of this guy, but it's hardly a surprise. A villain named "Excalibur" was never going to catch on.

JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Ares wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:41 am
Ken wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:19 amIt's foolish for Peter to blame himself. "If I hadn't convinced her to not risk her life in one stupid way, she wouldn't have died trying to find another."
The Human Torch eventually makes it clear to Peter that he shouldn't blame himself. Pete did his best to stop her from doing something stupid. It wasn't his fault she did something else equally stupid. Peter eventually acknowledges the Torch is right, just that it's a lesson that'll take a while to set in.
It makes sense that it would be hard for Peter to get past that, considering that not helping when he could is essentially what got Uncle Ben killed.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:41 am
Ken wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:19 am It's foolish for Peter to blame himself. "If I hadn't convinced her to not risk her life in one stupid way, she wouldn't have died trying to find another."
That's more or less Peter Parker in a nutshell: he wants to do the right thing, but sometimes doesn't have a clue about how to do it.
It's also why he needs people like Johnny or MJ around, because otherwise he would keep taking himself down all the time.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Skull the Slayer

Post by Jabroniville »

SKULL THE SLAYER (James Scully, aka The Blazing Skull II)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Steve Gan
First Appearance: Skull the Slayer #1 (Aug. 1975)
Role: Forgotten Hero, Lost Adventurer
Group Affiliations: The Shock Troop
PL 9 (118)
STRENGTH
3/6 STAMINA 4/7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+11, +14 Belt)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 9 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Spears & Stuff), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Primitive Weapons), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"The Scorpion Power Belt" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Enhanced Stamina 3 (6)
Enhanced Advantages 3: Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack (3)
-- (15 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Boosted Strength +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Spears +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+7 Belt), Fortitude +5 (+8 Belt), Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Survival)
Relationship (Lee Forrester)- They fell in love in a modern story.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 12 (118)

-Four years and eight months ago, I was working on some random Marvel names, and I had never heard of this character- he was a complete unknown. Then I went searching for some of the numerous "S" names on my To-Do List, because some of their names piqued my curiosity. Among them, a guy named Slitherrogue. The internet had nothing on the guy, save one link to what was apparently an enemy of his- Skull the Slayer. Then, literally two days later, I opened one of my 2016-ish Squadron Supreme comics and discovered, lo and behold, Skull the Slayer appearing as a side character! Then, a day or two later, Horsenhero made casual reference to him alongside Ulysses Bloodstone as old-school relic characters. All of that in literally a week- so who was I to deny the fates? I promptly created the Skull the Slayer build the fates apparently DEMANDED I create!

-Skull the Slayer was a failed "Lost Adventurer" book from the mid-70s, lasting only eight issues- unfortunately, despite being one of the oldest of the old school Pulp-style genres, it's rarely proven to be a moneymaker in more modern times (it didn't help that the book had three different writers over its short run). I think DC's The Warlord is the only similar kind of thing that was successful, and in his case, it was more of a Conan-inspired "Swords & Sorcery" book. He's your everyday "Soldier Fallen Through A Time Warp", via the Bermuda Triangle- he and three companions end up on an alternate Earth full of aliens, dinosaurs and primitive humans. Eventually, he is rescued by The Thing and aids Doctor Druid's "Shock Troop" of occult investigators (their allies? Sepulchre & The Living Mummy)- his "Scorpion Belt" soon starts warping his appearance, and he tries to remove it. At this point, he began going by "The Blazing Skull" (after the Golden Age hero), since he now appeared to be a glowing skeleton- eventually, Druid cures him.

-Always obscure, Skull runs off meeting guys like Quasar & Captain America (I would bet a hundred imaginary dollars I know who was writing), then Hawkeye. Later, he and Lee Forrester (a forgotten X-Men side-character) were trapped back on his Alternate Earth, and the Future Foundation had to come rescue them. He and Lee then fell in love, staying on that Earth together. A Skull the Slayer has reappeared in modern times, living on Weirdworld, from the Secret Wars storyline of Doom's Battleworld. He reappeared in Squadron Supreme, helping out Thundra & Hyperion on a Druid-controlled Weirdworld.

-Skull the Slayer is your everyday Soldier/Adventurer-type, albeit with a Magic Belt that enhances his stats. Usually it just affects his Strength & Stamina, but one time, he funneled its energy into explosive force (I'm calling that a one-off).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.