Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wonder Woman- Golden Age! Silver Age! Mod!)

Post by Goldar »

Sidney369 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:44 pm
Sidious wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:02 pm Is it wrong I want to see Diana interact with Marvel's Olympians more than anything? The MU Olympians are more feet of clay than the DC versions and watching her just smack around both Hercules and Ares would bring a warm feeling to this dead pump I call a "heart" (I don't really have a heart, I just call it that.)
During the JLA/Avengers cross-over, WW encountered Marvel's Hercules and brought up his encounter with her mother. Since the Marvel version of the event was more ... consent then the DC version, Hercules remembered what happened fondly, which led to WW whupping his butt.
Well, it was both Diana's anger at such an outrage and her powers of being "stronger than Hercules" that allowed Diana to beat up Hercules. I liked it!
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I don't read DC so I don't know how powerful/skilled their version of Hercules is but I always believed that Marvel Herc should be able to defeat Diana, though he's rarely at full power when he is he should be more powerful and a better fighter. IIRC the last image we saw in their fight he had her locked in a full nelson.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

M4C8 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:51 pm I don't read DC so I don't know how powerful/skilled their version of Hercules is but I always believed that Marvel Herc should be able to defeat Diana, though he's rarely at full power when he is he should be more powerful and a better fighter. IIRC the last image we saw in their fight he had her locked in a full nelson.
The way some Marvel Bios of Hercules read, they make it sound like he is one of the strongest characters. With thousands of years of living/fighting, Hercules should be an awesome fighter, but he does not seem much better than anyone else (noted from viewing years worth of his comic fights).
Jabroniville

Wonder Woman (Modern)

Post by Jabroniville »

WONDER WOMAN III (Princess Diana of Themyscira, Diana Prince)- Modern Age
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & Harry G. Peter
First Appearance: All Star Comics #8 (Dec. 1941)
Role: Hot Amazon, The Iconic Female Superhero, Team Mom (to the JLA)
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, Themyscira
PL 14 (295)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Deception 1 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (History) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Mythology) 9 (+13)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+6)
Insight 9 (+14)
Intimidation 3 (+8)
Perception 7 (+12)
Persuasion 4 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 4 (+8)
Treatment 1 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 7 (Invisible Jet), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignore Damage For 1 Round With HP Spent), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Redirect, Takedown 2

Powers:
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Flight 15 (64,000 mph) [30]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Senses 2 (Extended Vision & Hearing) [2]

"Magic Lasso" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
"Grab Multiples" Affliction 14 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Extras: Limited Degree, Limited to One Group of Targets, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (29) -- (30 points)
  • AE: "Single Snare" Affliction 16 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Target, Limited Degree, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (26)
"Magic Bracelets" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
Deflect 12 (12)
Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)
Impervious Toughness 13 (Extras: Sustained +0) (13)
-- (27 points)

Equipment:
"Invisible Jet" (Gargantuan, ST 11, Flight 8- 500 mph, Defense -2, Toughness 11, Features- Navigation, Concealment Visuals 2) (34)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Magic Lasso +12 (+14-16 Ranged Affliction, DC 24-26)
Grab Multiples +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Bracelets, DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +16 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +12

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)
Responsibility (Hippolyta & Paradise Island)
Responsibility (The Will of the Gods)- Diana must do Zeus' bidding, and even bows to the informal Hermes.
Relationship (Donna & Cassie)- Donna Troy is Diana's spiritual younger sister, and Cassie is a student and important charge. She will defend either to the death.
Enemy (Ares, Circe, The Cheetah, etc.)- Kind of a mediocre crowd of Rogues for an "A-Lister", but some of them aren't so bad.

Total: Abilities: 132 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 42 / Powers: 78 / Defenses: 12 (295)

Post-Crisis Wonder Woman- Perez Recreates Everything:
-Arguably the biggest single creative shift in Wonder Woman's history came upon her when George Perez, superstar artist behind The New Teen Titans, took over her feature following Crisis on Infinite Earths (which barely used her, and in fact killed her at the last second to justify a "rebirth" story- in the title's last issue before the full Reboot, she married Steve Trevor). Perez's WW and John Byrne's Superman both took the unusual tack of rewriting the character's ENTIRE HISTORY, completely revolutionizing and changing everything, tossing the rest out wholesale. DC's sales being what they were at the time (ie. complete ass, save for a couple of books), this actually helped the line for a while. I assume many fans were furious (I mean, comics fans never change), but this was revolutionary. Of course... his big story of a Brand-New Diana actually ruined COUNTLESS Teen Titans stories, wrecking Donna Troy's tie to Diana- inadvertently making one of George's best-ever stories (Who Is Donna Troy?) now a bit abberant in continuity. In fact, this poorly-thought-out decision would ultimately go on to help ruin that character for good.

-So Perez gave Wonder Woman more detailed hair, a more muscular physique, and a lot of height, and decided to start from the very beginning- with her arrival on Man's World. Here, she befriended the Greek-descended Kapatelis family, giving her a new human supporting cast. Steve Trevor? Discarded, save as an older military man who befriended her. Superman? A brief flirtation to shore along that old "Shipping" fantasy. She was tied even further to Greek mythology, with those Gods being redesigned as well. She got new villains, with a new Cheetah, Silver Swan, Circe (a major recurring nemesis), Ares (arguably her main foe), and more. The run is generally well-liked, but I haven't heard too much of it beyond "it was good"- fewer legendary runs. It hasn't proved as controversial as Byrne's Superman (which eventually had most of his Retcons dropped, as they wrecked some of the "Magic" of the book), and is always well-liked, but it's just not a huge deal.

Modern-Age Wonder Woman:
-This Wonder Woman continued until modern times, often with bigger and bigger superstar creators working on her- DC was now fully behind Diana as a "thing", and pretty much every run had some big name on it. Any major story typically had something for her to do. John Byrne would take over the title in the early '90s and bugger up a bunch of things- Donna Troy's history would get ANOTHER weird revamp as he couldn't leave well enough along, and we got a new Wonder Girl in Cassie Sandsmark, a Vanessa Kapatelis clone. Mike Deodato had some of his infamous early work with a Fanservice'd up Diana losing her title to Artemis, a fellow Amazon, who is badly beaten and killed for this act.

-This Diana was often treated as being more deadly than other versions- she was among the few DC heroes willing to kill, and had a bad-ass "Sword Option" to use in combat at times. Kingdom Come, an Elseworlds story set in the future, used her as the tougher, militaristic faction leader of Superman's new League, and her fatally killing Von Bach has major repercussions in the story's climax. As an iconic DC character, she was a natural for Grant Morrison's JLA, which revolutionized the team and featured a ton of power-feats.

-Weirdness abounded at times, as Diana temporarily died in battle with Neron, ascending to Godhood as the "Goddess of Truth", and was replaced by her own mother, who had also acted as the "Golden Age Wonder Woman" in a retcon (more on that later... and earlier). Hippolyta was thus on the JLA for a time. Phil Jiminez, whose art greatly resembled Perez's, did a long run that featured a lot of detail over Amazonian society- something of an "albatross" around the character's neck at times (she has a potential supporting cast of THOUSANDS because of Paradise Island). Though the great "Lois Lane Interviews Diana" issue is part of that run, as is the solid "Themysciera Civil War" arc, it produced a LOT of "character bloat". A massive civil war took place on Paradise Island, making the Amazons (correctly) look like hypocrites in the eyes of the world. Then Hippolyta died in the big Our Worlds At War Imperiex story, leaving Diana alone. Later, Diana was faced with Maxwell Lord mind-controlling Superman, and she took the desperate act to kill the villain. This ended up splintering DC's superhero community and galvanizing its villains against them, creating major rifts everywhere, especially as she was so unapologetic about it. She continued to be a major force in the comics, DC shoving her into the Trinity book and kind of trying this "Fake IT Till You Make It" thing by acting like she was on the same level as Superman & Batman.

-Further trouble occurred when various arcs were poorly received- Amazons Attack!, written just to fill a publishing hole created by delays in one writer's work, created an avalanche of hate. This, and resentment over the character receiving endless "Mulligans" and superstar creative teams to refashion her book, when other more popular characters left their critically-acclaimed books dying on the vine, had actually created a solid "hatedom" for the character, and a lot of fan disgust. Favoritism, really. But as I said earlier, it would be "Bad Optics" to just let Wonder Woman fail. In any case, DC managed to revamp the character with Brian Azzarello's horror-tinged, "Gods are Weird Pseudohumans" book with the "New 52", and then DC's incompetent-ass Cinematic Universe wannabe actually stumbled on this phenomenal thing, as Gal Gadot was PERFECT as a somewhat bewildered, but confident and brave, Wonder Woman, making the character world-famous all over again as an iconic Feminist Icon in a big movie. Life is weird.

Wonder Woman's Powers:
-Wonder Woman is PL 14, making her one of DC's top-tier characters, and its highest-ranking female (Modern-day Kara Zor-El is stronger- once thought to be even mightier than Supes himself, but less accurate). This is pretty much the standard M.O. of DC comics for decades now, and remains unchanged here. I don't buy for a second that she matches Kal-El in Power Level, however- that feels more like an affectation put on by DCA on order from editors, because to me they've never even seemed that close. The key advantage she has over Superman is that she's a better fighter, more easily able to modify her caps (she can do almost all of them) in combat, and she's packing more Advantages as well. She can easily use Accurate Attack to match Shang-Chi in accuracy, while still hitting for +11 damage, which can uphold some of the Obvious Character Shilling of "Wonder Woman is the best melee fighter in the world" (Batman actually said this). And with three ranks of Improved Critical, it's not like she'll have any shortage of ass-kickings to dole out.

-I actually wanted her to be +13/+15 at first (to help justify those in-universe compliments as to her Combat Skillz), but that would have made her weaker than Power Girl, and weaker than Supergirl by QUITE a ways (Loeb's shilling of Kara has put her just below Supes now), which doesn't feel appropriate- it also puts her just a bit too far below Superman (4 points in damage is a bit much). But Strength 16 fits... it also matches DCA's build. But she's PL 14 and likes it- I'm not putting her at a higher level than Captain Marvel (DC) or Thor & The Hulk (Marvel)- she's just not that good, and hasn't beaten that many "legit" names to justify the way the writers go on about her. At least Superman backs his rep UP, you know?

-Her Devices require a bit of explanation. I think she's better at Dodging with her Bracelets (a favoured move is to cross her arms to avoid BIG attacks, even huge energy beams), in addition to the Sustained Impervious Toughness. Her Lasso is sort of like a Snare (but renders guys Impaired since their arms or legs are usually bound, and Defenseless), but also adds the Compelled portion of Affliction. I stuck in "Tether", a Feat from 2e, which allows her to exert her Strength on things she's grabbed (works way better than Move Object, in my opinion). She can also grab a large group of people at once (the old "tie 'em with a big lasso" trick), Reverse the Snare, and also packs the Limited to One Target (a Flaw in my book), since she can't just keep Snaring everybody around her- she's gotta let go of one person to use it again. She's got Impervious Toughness thanks to those Bracelets (which EVERY WW build struggles with- it's hard to justify even in-universe why someone who can TAKE A PUNCH FROM SUPERMAN needs stupid little bracelets in order to dodge gunfire. There's literally just no way, unless you make her weak to bullets or just lower her durability.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wonder Woman- Every Era!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

Perez’s run on Wonder Woman was good because, for the first time in a long time, she had a creator who had some idea what he wanted to do with her. Unfortunately, what he wanted to do was turn her into DC’s answer to Thor–an icon of the Greek pantheon. Ultimately, I think this removed a lot of what was unique and appealing about her, and you can draw a straight line from Perez’s reboot to Azzarello’s “Amazons are rapists and child murderers” version.

What I think was lost was the idea that, Greek history and associations with the gods aside, Marston’s Amazons were just better people. They were smarter, stronger, more moral, and more advanced than the rest of us, unfortunate sexism aside. Diana was as much a creature of sci-fi as magic; heck, the Golden Age Mars was based on the planet Mars. Marston strongly implied, if not outright stated, that any woman could be a Wonder Woman if she just knew how–and Diana was there to teach.

If she were mine to reboot, I’d restore that and play down the Greek gods. I’d make Paradise Island a technological utopia that skipped over the Dark Ages. The island was created by Aphrodite Urania, one of the Old Gods. The Amazons would use technology the way the New Gods do. Diana would be uniquely gifted, but all Amazons are at least as superhuman as Slade Wilson, only without needing drugs to get there. Present Amazon sexism as the flaw in Paradise, but make it something they are able (with Diana and Steve’s example) to see and try to get over. The lasso remains a gift from Aphrodite Urania, to “bind people together in love”, but the rest of her panoply–including, yes, a crystal stealth plane modeled on Steve Trevor’s crashed jet (they couldn’t resist improving it)–are technological inventions of the Amazons.

Diana in the outside world is there to teach us how to be better people. It's her primary mission. Fighting bad guys is just something that comes up, because good people should stand up to evil. This opens the door to giving her rogues who embody social problems other than sexism and war, but it also puts things on tricky ground, as she could so easily become a platform for preaching. So we need to establish early on that Diana, like Clark, puts people making their own decisions above all else. Thinking, not blindly following, needs to be an Amazon virtue. The power of the lasso is not compulsion, but empathy.

I could go on like this for Ares-like lengths, but life intrudes. More later if there seems to be interest...
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Kangas

Post by Jabroniville »

KANGAS
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & Harry G. Peter
First Appearance: Sensation Comics #6 (June 1942)
Role: Fantastic Mounts
Group Affiliations: Paradise Island
PL 6 (52)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+2)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Kick)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Kangaroo Kick" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Features 1: Increased Mass 1 [1]
"Limited Flight" Leaping 6 [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Kangaroo Kick +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Kangaroos cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 5 (52)

-Kangas are part of the wild, forgotten early history of Wonder Woman- it's stated that aliens invaded Paradise Island years ago, and were beaten by a seven-year old Diana. They were kept on after a stint in Rehabilitation Island, and their Kanga mounts were kept by the Amazons as well. They have "limited flight through bouncing", whatever the hell that means. Diana's favorite was named "Jumpa". They are very solid PL 6 creatures.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 am Perez’s run on Wonder Woman was good because, for the first time in a long time, she had a creator who had some idea what he wanted to do with her. Unfortunately, what he wanted to do was turn her into DC’s answer to Thor–an icon of the Greek pantheon. Ultimately, I think this removed a lot of what was unique and appealing about her, and you can draw a straight line from Perez’s reboot to Azzarello’s “Amazons are rapists and child murderers” version.

What I think was lost was the idea that, Greek history and associations with the gods aside, Marston’s Amazons were just better people. They were smarter, stronger, more moral, and more advanced than the rest of us, unfortunate sexism aside. Diana was as much a creature of sci-fi as magic; heck, the Golden Age Mars was based on the planet Mars. Marston strongly implied, if not outright stated, that any woman could be a Wonder Woman if she just knew how–and Diana was there to teach.

If she were mine to reboot, I’d restore that and play down the Greek gods. I’d make Paradise Island a technological utopia that skipped over the Dark Ages. The island was created by Aphrodite Urania, one of the Old Gods. The Amazons would use technology the way the New Gods do. Diana would be uniquely gifted, but all Amazons are at least as superhuman as Slade Wilson, only without needing drugs to get there. Present Amazon sexism as the flaw in Paradise, but make it something they are able (with Diana and Steve’s example) to see and try to get over. The lasso remains a gift from Aphrodite Urania, to “bind people together in love”, but the rest of her panoply–including, yes, a crystal stealth plane modeled on Steve Trevor’s crashed jet (they couldn’t resist improving it)–are technological inventions of the Amazons.

Diana in the outside world is there to teach us how to be better people. It's her primary mission. Fighting bad guys is just something that comes up, because good people should stand up to evil. This opens the door to giving her rogues who embody social problems other than sexism and war, but it also puts things on tricky ground, as she could so easily become a platform for preaching. So we need to establish early on that Diana, like Clark, puts people making their own decisions above all else. Thinking, not blindly following, needs to be an Amazon virtue. The power of the lasso is not compulsion, but empathy.

I could go on like this for Ares-like lengths, but life intrudes. More later if there seems to be interest...
Hey yeah, nice stuff! That's an interesting point about her becoming DC's "Thor"- I haven't read much of anything pre-1985 so I don't know what the general sentiment was. Despite her origin story, it doesn't seem like many Gods were directly involved in her comics, though, aside from Ares/Mars.

If you got more, I'd be glad to hear it- there's like 16-20 days of these builds after all :).
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Goldar wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:32 pm
M4C8 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:51 pm I don't read DC so I don't know how powerful/skilled their version of Hercules is but I always believed that Marvel Herc should be able to defeat Diana, though he's rarely at full power when he is he should be more powerful and a better fighter. IIRC the last image we saw in their fight he had her locked in a full nelson.
The way some Marvel Bios of Hercules read, they make it sound like he is one of the strongest characters. With thousands of years of living/fighting, Hercules should be an awesome fighter, but he does not seem much better than anyone else (noted from viewing years worth of his comic fights).
That's how I see him, when fully powered (which granted is rare) he's one of the most physically powerful beings alive, one of the greatest fighters that's ever lived and has more experience than almost any other hero. If he takes a fight seriously and uses all his power, skill and experience he should be a match for nearly anyone, especially if he's armed with his adamantine mace.

He has shown strength feats up their with an enraged Hulk, he regularly beats gods of war in combat, once defeated Thor in H2H combat while drunk and has stood up to attacks from cosmic level enemies and that have dropped entire teams of Avengers. Also given his experience he's got strategies for fighting those with abilities he doesn't have such as speedsters and fliers.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The thing with Herc is that he has a lot of strength feats, but not as many "Winning Fights" feats. He doesn't have the big wins of his contemporaries, so I always held him fast at PL 13, compared to the PL 14 Hulk & Thor hit. He CAN beat them, but usually wouldn't, and he's much less versatile than Thor in particular.
Jabroniville

Superwoman

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPERWOMAN (Diana, Formerly of Themyscira)
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Mike Sekowsky
First Appearance: Justice League of America #29 (Oct. 1964)
Role: Evil Counterpart (to Diana)
Group Affiliations: The Crime Syndicate of America
PL 14 (212)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Expertise (History) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Mythology) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+9)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Perception 5 (+9)
Persuasion 1 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Takedown 2

Powers:
Flight 6 (Quirks: "Air Currents" So Maybe It Doesn't Always Work Right -1) [11]

"Magic Lasso" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [19]
"Grab Multiples" Affliction 14 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Extras: Limited Degree, Limited to One Group of Targets, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (29) -- (31 points)
  • AE: "Single Snare" Affliction 16 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Target, Limited Degree, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (26)
  • AE: "Lasso Takes Other Shapes" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 6) (8)
Offense:
Lasso Strike +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +12 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- The Crime Syndicate seek to rule everything.

Total: Abilities: 114 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 13 (212)

-The vicious Superwoman is the only female member of the Crime Syndicate of America- an EVIL counterpart of the Justice League, in one of comics' first "Evil Counterpart From Another Dimension" stories! The CSA hail from Earth-Three, which they rule with an iron fist. Inexplicably not having any of Diana's gear, nor a similar costume, she instead uses a counterpart of Superman's name (I wonder if this was just to prevent anyone ELSE from getting cute and making a normal "Superwoman" in the main timeline and continuity?) and a regular black leotard as a costume.

-The Crime Syndicate appeared a handful of times, and were chosen as the first named victims of the Anti-Matter Wave in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Their world's HEROIC Lex Luthor arrives, and sends his only son to Earth-One in a reflection of Superman's origin story- Superwoman is shown trying to resist the Anti-Matter, but is disintegrated in a flash when she spies Luthor and it creeps up on her from behind. The CSA didn't reappear until the Grant Morrison run of JLA, which was more interested in playing with the notion of an "Evil World", positing, in a very pretentious metatextual way, that maybe the CSA always wins on their world because the notion of "good always wins" is an integral part of the JLA's. DC re-used the CSA in numerous other continuities as well, as the notion of comics' most famous "Evil Alternate Versions" going completely unused was too much to bear- an good example of the short-sightedness of getting rid of DC's multiverse.

-Superwoman has very similar stats to Diana, but loses her kind-heartedness and a lot of her willpower. She's stated to be a renegade Amazon who left Paradise Island, which is why she's no longer immortal.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wonder Woman- Every Era! Kangas! Superwoman!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

It's nice to see one of the CSA built, even if their statlines are likely, for the most part "___ Character, But More Of An Asshole".
Gilliam

Re: Wonder Woman (Modern)

Post by Gilliam »

Jabroniville wrote: She's got Impervious Toughness thanks to those Bracelets (which EVERY WW build struggles with- it's hard to justify even in-universe why someone who can TAKE A PUNCH FROM SUPERMAN needs stupid little bracelets in order to dodge gunfire. There's literally just no way, unless you make her weak to bullets or just lower her durability.
After much hard work I have found an answer to your question Jab.

Goldar

Re: Superwoman

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:03 am Image

SUPERWOMAN (Diana, Formerly of Themyscira)
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Mike Sekowsky
First Appearance: Justice League of America #29 (Oct. 1964)
Role: Evil Counterpart (to Diana)
Group Affiliations: The Crime Syndicate of America
PL 14 (212)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Expertise (History) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Mythology) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+9)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Perception 5 (+9)
Persuasion 1 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Takedown 2

Powers:
Flight 6 (Quirks: "Air Currents" So Maybe It Doesn't Always Work Right -1) [11]

"Magic Lasso" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [19]
"Grab Multiples" Affliction 14 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Extras: Limited Degree, Limited to One Group of Targets, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (29) -- (31 points)
  • AE: "Lasso Takes Other Shapes" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 6) (8)
Offense:
Lasso Strike +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +12 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- The Crime Syndicate seek to rule everything.

Total: Abilities: 114 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 13 (212)

-The vicious Superwoman is the only female member of the Crime Syndicate of America- an EVIL counterpart of the Justice League, in one of comics' first "Evil Counterpart From Another Dimension" stories! The CSA hail from Earth-Three, which they rule with an iron fist. Inexplicably not having any of Diana's gear, nor a similar costume, she instead uses a counterpart of Superman's name (I wonder if this was just to prevent anyone ELSE from getting cute and making a normal "Superwoman" in the main timeline and continuity?) and a regular black leotard as a costume.

-The Crime Syndicate appeared a handful of times, and were chosen as the first named victims of the Anti-Matter Wave in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Their world's HEROIC Lex Luthor arrives, and sends his only son to Earth-One in a reflection of Superman's origin story- Superwoman is shown trying to resist the Anti-Matter, but is disintegrated in a flash when she spies Luthor and it creeps up on her from behind. The CSA didn't reappear until the Grant Morrison run of JLA, which was more interested in playing with the notion of an "Evil World", positing, in a very pretentious metatextual way, that maybe the CSA always wins on their world because the notion of "good always wins" is an integral part of the JLA's. DC re-used the CSA in numerous other continuities as well, as the notion of comics' most famous "Evil Alternate Versions" going completely unused was too much to bear- an good example of the short-sightedness of getting rid of DC's multiverse.

-Superwoman has very similar stats to Diana, but loses her kind-heartedness and a lot of her willpower. She's stated to be a renegade Amazon who left Paradise Island, which is why she's no longer immortal.
Nice modern Superwoman build! I love her look here and the pics you used too.

In this incarnation of SW, her lasso has barb-wire points and is called: The Lasso of Submission, allowing deepest secrets to be revealed!

In a new series for 2021, Superwoman looks taller and more muscular with another costume variation.

I once read that the CSA were supposed to be stronger and more powerful than the JLA and JSA from their beginning. So "Ultraman" name was chosen as being"over Superman ad made Superman's foe, while Superwoman was as strong as Superman---(while being a rogue Amazon, not a Kryptonian) who was Wonder Woman's enemy. Back in 1964, they made for scary and powerful villains indeed! The thought process was supposedly---who would be stronger than WW? Answer: a Superwoman who would naturally be on a par with Superman. They then made a male foe even stronger than Superman (which is why they needed a new adjective name. Also for how Ultraboy of the Legion could switch powers, Ultraman gained new powers he could choose to use,albeit all at once if possible and so desired.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wonder Woman- Every Era! Kangas! Superwoman!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Gilliam wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:13 am After much hard work I have found an answer to your question Jab.
haha, oh yeah, that famous comic. I think I skipped over that line of text when re-posting the WW build or I'd have remembered it.
Ken

Re: Wonder Woman (Modern)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:53 pm She's got Impervious Toughness thanks to those Bracelets (which EVERY WW build struggles with- it's hard to justify even in-universe why someone who can TAKE A PUNCH FROM SUPERMAN needs stupid little bracelets in order to dodge gunfire. There's literally just no way, unless you make her weak to bullets or just lower her durability.
Actually, for most iterations of Wonder Woman, lowering her durability is the route to go. Give her Immunity (Bludgeoning Damage), Half Effect to represent her ability to take punches and slams into walls better. But whether Cheetah's claws, or swords, or gunfire, funny cartoons aside, Diana spent most of her career NOT invulnerable. As time marched on, Diana has become more and more Superman-esque, and as such she's become more and more invulnerable, but she wasn't meant to be that way.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.