Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Philippus

Post by Jabroniville »

lol Mike Deodato be like "drawing black women is HARD! I'll just color this white lady brown!"

PHILIPPUS
Created By:
George Perez
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #1 (Feb. 1987)
Role: Black Best Friend (to Hippolyta), Captain of the Guard
Group Affiliations: The Amazons
PL 9 (125)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (History) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Mythology) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Treatment 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment (Spear/Sword +2), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Spear or Sword), Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 25)
Swords & Stuff +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Paradise Island)- Amazons are beholden to the laws of Themyscira- men are forbidden from setting foot there.
Power Loss (All Powers)- Amazons might lose Immortality or other powers if left off of Paradise Island for too long.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 16 (125)

-Philippus was introduced by George Perez in his first issue on Wonder Woman, showing the diversity of his new version of Paradise Island. She is ancient like the rest of them, and was badly mentally scarred by the horrors inflicted upon their people by the men of Heracles in old times. Despite that, she did not seek vengeance like the Bana-Mighdall ones did, and stuck loyally with Queen Hippolyta, eventually becoming the Captain of the Guard. This meant she was often "The person beside Hippolyta" during all of her "what do I do?" moments, and worrying over her daughter. And apparently Philippus was in love with her Queen, too! She took special care in raising young Diana, ensuring she was taught humility and reason as well. However, her backstory led her to be one of the most man-hating of the Amazons- when Steve Trevor crash-landed on Paradise Island, she was a loud voice suggesting he be killed, but was out-voted.

-Philippus appeared repeatedly, as her position made her a major Amazon that wasn't the Queen- she attempted to stop Hippolyta from breaking the rules and aiding Diana once (she was beaten and the two forgave each other afterwards), and was injured due to the machinations of Circe when the Amazons visited Man's World for a time, then was forced by the Queen to sabotage Diana's chances at beating Artemis to retain her "Wonder Woman" title. When Hippolyta banished herself after going a bit nuts, Philippus became Queen Regent, a position she was uncomfortable with, and was co-ruler with Artemis following the Amazon Civil War. Apparently she had openly confessed her feelings for the Queen at some point, but nothing ever became of it- Hippolyta died and un-died, then went a bit nuts again and other stuff happened. In a later continuity they actually hooked up, though. But overall, this character is kind of the "Advisor" character that popped up a lot in Gargoyles- the dutiful assistant to the major character, letting them bounce exposition off of them or take or refuse advice, as needed.

-Philippus is a more elite version of the Amazon Template, hitting PL 9.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mala

Post by Jabroniville »

MALA
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & Harry G. Peter
First Appearance: All Star Comics #8 (Dec. 1941)
Role: Supporting Character
Group Affiliations: Themyscira

-Mala was actually one of the first named Amazons in Wonder Woman's book, being with Diana when she first discovered the crash-landed Steve Trevor. A blonde with a polka-dotted dress, she was even the last Amazons a masked Diana had to defeat to win the role of "Amazonian Representative" in Man's World! She recurred later on, leading the "Reform Island" program which was meant to rehabilitate criminals and the insane (a big aspect of Marston's run was this kinder approach). She had a "Swan Plane" and was usually the one Diana talked to the most, though she rarely showed up on Man's World (like when someone hijacked her plane). She was largely forgotten by the Silver Age, but showed up in dream sequences and "Imaginary Stories".

-Mala did not appear in the Post-Crisis Wonder Woman until after George Perez left, showing up in the backstory, mentioned as being an Amazon who lost to Diana, then Artemis, in the contests to become Wonder Woman.

-A new "Mala" appeared with the Amazons of Bana-Mighdall. Not immortal, she was an old, scarred woman
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Queen Hippolyta! Fury I & II! The Amazons!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So these builds will be interspersed with a handful of mini-bios of Amazons- not many deserve concrete stats (they might even just use the generic Template), but they can at least be talked about.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:07 pm So these builds will be interspersed with a handful of mini-bios of Amazons- not many deserve concrete stats (they might even just use the generic Template), but they can at least be talked about.
Okay........but if Mala came in second to Diana, are not her stats much higher than the typical Amazon?
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

If I read WW comics I'm not sure I could ever take the rideable Kangaroo's seriously, they have horses on the island right?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Re: Philippus

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:49 am Image

lol Mike Deodato be like "drawing black women is HARD! I'll just color this white lady brown!"
It's not like white women look like that either. It's what happens when an artist with Same Face Syndrome also has such poor knowledge of facial anatomy one suspects he has prosopagnosia.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:06 pm If I read WW comics I'm not sure I could ever take the rideable Kangaroo's seriously, they have horses on the island right?
Not during the eras where they had kangas.

A magical island of beautiful, unaging women who are super strong and tough, and can bounce bullets off their bracelets who have in person conversations with Aphrodite and Athena, but domesticable, oversized kangaroos used as mounts are a deal breaker.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Reading the commentary on how many different versions of the same characters there are just serves to reinforce my opinion that DC could not handle its multiverse any worse than it does. Alternate universes make for good one-offs and what-ifs but having multiple versions of the same characters running around permanently is just terrible. And every half-assed attempt to merge, cross-over or eliminate some or all of them just makes it worse. And we end up with a non-trivial portion of DCs heroes saddled with just awful messes of history. I got to the point where any mention of an alternate universe just tunes me out immediately.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Shock wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:02 pmReading the commentary on how many different versions of the same characters there are just serves to reinforce my opinion that DC could not handle its multiverse any worse than it does. Alternate universes make for good one-offs and what-ifs but having multiple versions of the same characters running around permanently is just terrible. And every half-assed attempt to merge, cross-over or eliminate some or all of them just makes it worse. And we end up with a non-trivial portion of DCs heroes saddled with just awful messes of history. I got to the point where any mention of an alternate universe just tunes me out immediately.
DC used to be a LOT better about these types of things. But then the Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, and everything went to hell. I have never met a single individual who had a problem with DC's multiple Earths. We only saw three Earths with any regularity, and one of those was only in relation to a group of characters that DC didn't even own (yet), the Marvel Family (and occasionally the other heroes who were under the Fawcett.) And we didn't see Earth-Two that often. Yes, their were hiccups (e.g. the Earth-One Wildcat; if Zatanna and Zatara lived on earth-One, how was Zatara in the All-Star Squadron?) But the small number of counterparts in common to both Earths weren't that hard to keep track of.

It was only when DC decided to "fix" things did things get to nightmarishly complicated.

Jabroniville

Fatsis

Post by Jabroniville »

FATSIS
Created By:
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #1 (Oct. 1941)
Role: Fat Amazon

-The Amazon known as Fatsis was drawn in as an explanation for more of the Amazons shown in a re-telling of Wonder Woman's origin story- particularly the tournament to decide who would be the Amazon champion. Here, she is shown as a portly woman in a "chubby girl don't know she's chubby" outfit, wrestling Diana's best friend Mala to the ground. Mala describes her as a "two-ton grease heap" and finds the strength to whip Fatsis off of her, winning the match. This is more or less another one of Marston's "LOL, aren't fat people hilarious and DISGUSTING?" jokes. Also, it seems odd that there's a fat amazon. I thought they were all supposed to be healthy mega-babes?!
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:21 pm
M4C8 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:06 pm If I read WW comics I'm not sure I could ever take the rideable Kangaroo's seriously, they have horses on the island right?
Not during the eras where they had kangas.

A magical island of beautiful, unaging women who are super strong and tough, and can bounce bullets off their bracelets who have in person conversations with Aphrodite and Athena, but domesticable, oversized kangaroos used as mounts are a deal breaker.
That's because domesticated oversize Kangaroo's are dumb :)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Drusilla

Post by Jabroniville »

DRUSILLA
Created By:
Mike Sekowsky
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #182 (June 1969)
Role: Supporting Character

-Drusilla is a minor character and Amazon from the late '60s, and was turned into Diana's younger SISTER in the Lynda Carter TV series, played by Debra Winger. In the comics, she was an Amazon messenger, sent to tell a de-powered Diana that Ares was trying to force the Amazons to give him the secret of interdimensional travel. And so a de-powered Diana & I Ching travel to Paradise Island in its otherdimensional location and find the Amazons beaten by Ares & his ilk. Hippolyta is placed into a deep sleep and Ares's forces outnumber the Amazons five to one, so Diana & Drusilla recruit the Valkyries of Norse Myth to help them out, and finally King Arthur and his men are convinced to join them after initially rejecting the idea (they had tired of war by then). Diana is KO'd, but returned to an awakened Hippolyta by Ares, who confesses to Diana's greatness- he departs, promising to still return. Drusilla apparently does not return.

-In the TV show, Drusilla comes to Man's World to bring Diana back to Paradise Island. Meanwhile, she disguises herself as "Wonder Girl" but is kidnapped by the Nazis. A spin-off series was intended, but Winger broke her contract and bailed on the show, so the character was short-lived.
Jabroniville

Menalippe

Post by Jabroniville »

MENALIPPE
Created By:
Greg Potter & George Perez
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #1 (Feb. 1987)
Role: Oracle

-A lower-tier character, Menalippe debuted in the George Perez WW era as an oracle of the gods, delivering their messages to Paradise Island. She was typically seen as the most loyal of the Amazons to the Gods, and took great pride in her position. Much later, when Diana was killed by Circe, it was Menalippe who delivered orders from the Gods for Hippolyta to reform her in claw- ultimately, she took one of Circe's bolts, meant for the Queen, and gave her life in defense of Paradise Island.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: Fatsis

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:19 pm Image

FATSIS
Created By:
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #1 (Oct. 1941)
Role: Fat Amazon

-The Amazon known as Fatsis was drawn in as an explanation for more of the Amazons shown in a re-telling of Wonder Woman's origin story- particularly the tournament to decide who would be the Amazon champion. Here, she is shown as a portly woman in a "chubby girl don't know she's chubby" outfit, wrestling Diana's best friend Mala to the ground. Mala describes her as a "two-ton grease heap" and finds the strength to whip Fatsis off of her, winning the match. This is more or less another one of Marston's "LOL, aren't fat people hilarious and DISGUSTING?" jokes. Also, it seems odd that there's a fat amazon. I thought they were all supposed to be healthy mega-babes?!
Now aren't ya glad I told ya about Fatsis? All kinds of Amazons out there.
Jabroniville

Antiope

Post by Jabroniville »

ANTIOPE I & II
Created By:
Dan Mishkin & Don Heck
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #312 (Feb. 1984)
Role: Vengeance-Seeker
Group Affiliations: Themyscira, Bana-Mighdall

-Antiope debuted in 1984, and was simply a high-ranking Amazon who was disillusioned with Hippolyta's rule, and plotted to overthrow her. She was killed by Shadow Demons two years later, during the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

-Antiope was completely revamped by George Perez during his run on Wonder Woman- here, she was the second Amazon to be born- Hippolyta was the first. They were each given a Golden Girdle, and helped form the Amazon nation in ancient times, and adopted a human girl as a daughter. However, she was among the Amazons captured and humiliated by Heracles and his men- when free by Athena, who demanded they not seek revenge, an angry Antiope refused and renounced the Gods, giving her sister the Girdle and left with an army of angry warriors. However, she found and fell in love with the hero Theseus (who was a LEADER of the army that had captured and raped the Amazons!), forming a new nation with his men. This irked the Amazons, but I guess they dealt with it.

-However, Antiope was soon murdered by the discarded first wife of Theseus, who allied with Circe and slew the Queen with a magical dagger. Her adopted daughter Phthia carried on in her name, forming the nation of Bana-Mighdall (a name that... probably stuck in the craw of later writers- it's a big mouthful and they had to repeat it CONSTANTLY in tons of books).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.