Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Giganta! The Blue Snowman! The Cheetah!)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

The Cheetah is a speedster, in addition to being a claw fighter. The problem is that Wonder Woman is also a speedster, in addition to being a mega-powerhouse. There isn't a lot you can do to make someone a physical challenge to Wondy before the name "Cheetah" stops making any sense.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Amazons! The Mask! Giganta! The Blue Snowman!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:14 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33 pm Intresting sidenote: all these "Save the Environment" villians always do MORE damage to the environment than the people their attacking....(Alanis Morrisette's "Isn't it Ironic?" starts playing)

And i'd like to see what Stats & such Captain Wonder version of Steve Trevor had, if you don't mind Jab... ;)
I already statted Captain Wonder a few pages ago, shortly before your return :).
NURTS! How many pages back?
Davies

Post by Davies »

"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Re: Captain Wonder

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 am Image

CAPTAIN WONDER (Steve Trevor's Idealized Self)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #289 (March 1982)
Role: Super-Powered Fantasy-Self, Controlled Ectoplasm
Group Affiliations: None (alliance w/ Silver Swan)
PL 14 (173)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignore Damage For 1 Round With HP Spent), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Redirect, Takedown 2

Powers:
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Senses 2 (Extended Vision & Hearing) [2]

"Magic Lasso" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
"Grab Multiples" Affliction 14 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Extras: Limited Degree, Limited to One Group of Targets, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (29) -- (30 points)
  • AE: "Single Snare" Affliction 16 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Target, Limited Degree, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (26)
"Magic Bracelets" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
Deflect 12 (12)
Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)
Impervious Toughness 13 (Extras: Sustained +0) (13)
-- (27 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Magic Lasso +12 (+14-16 Ranged Affliction, DC 24-26)
Grab Multiples +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Bracelets, DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +14 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will --

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 34 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 5 (173)

-Captain Wonder (sharing a name with a Timely Comics hero so forgotten he was made part of The Twelve) is an odd Silver Age character created when Doctor Psycho found that he could mould "Ectoplasm" into whatever he wanted. Scheming, he kidnapped Steve Trevor and extracted his own ectoplasm, turning it into Steve's idealized fantasy version of himself- Captain Wonder, a male hero with the powers of Wonder Woman. However, Psycho took control of the ectoplasmic form himself, using it to do battle with Wonder Woman. In this form, he fights WW repeatedly, even allying with the original Silver Swan, soon falling in love with her. The pair succeed in capturing Diana, but when the god Mars demands his agent, the Swan, kills the President of the United States, Steve Trevor snaps out of his sleeping spell and breaks Psycho's hold over "Captain Wonder".

-Captain Wonder appeared only once more- as an agent of The Monitor's in one of the tests he sent against Earth's superheroes in the prelude to Crisis on Infinite Earths. He teamed up with Angle Man, Silver Swan & The Cheetah against Etta Candy, whom they have mistaken for Wonder Woman somehow. Etta uses Doctor Psycho's "Ectoplasmitron" to create her OWN super-powered identity, again similar to Wonder Woman, and beats the villains.

-Captain Wonder has powers nearly identical to Wonder Woman's, but he has superior flight and might be even stronger. He also wore Bracelets, but it's not clear if they had similar powers to WW's, since nobody shot at him. He was also able to take control of both her Invisible Plane & Golden Lasso (probably a Complication for her). As more or less solidified Ectoplasm that had to be directed by others, Captain Wonder has no personality or Mental Abilities of his own, and is merely a receptacle for someone else.
Thanks, Davies!
Alright, i can work with this guy....
Put Steve Trevor's base Mental stats on him and he'd be a decent Elseworlds Hero(possibly even a decent foil to Super-Lois from Dark Multiverse). I'd personally remove the Lasso & bracelets, but that's just me.... :D
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Cheetah is probably Diana's most recognizable for (or was for decades before Circe), and was likely intended to be Wonder Woman's "Lex Luthor" as the clever manipulator who succeeded more through cunning and guile rather than power. And while that can work for some characters, for someone as capable as Wonder Woman you need a David Xanatos / Lex Luthor / Dr. Sivana level genius and . . . well, Cheetah wasn't it.

The move from her being wealthy socialites to someone who was similarly magically powered made a lot of sense, and made her a more capable opponent. Giving her roots in mythology and kind of an evil version of the Adventurer Archeology was kind of neat, and something that should be played up more.

I think if I were doing my "fix" of Cheetah, I'd go back to Priscilla Rich being the main Cheetah, but have her be a wealthy socialite who channeled her wealth into her love of archeology, mythology, history and so forth. She was always interested in hunting for actual power, and the appearance of Wonder Woman drove her to experiment with rituals she'd considered too dangerous before. But seeing someone who is literally mythology brought to life, who has that kind of beauty, wisdom, intelligence and charisma, Priscilla decided she needed that kind of power. I'd possibly work in that she uses the amulet Vixen uses as part of the ritual, and calls upon the kind of hunter that appeals to Priscilla: fast, feline and lethal. Maybe even play up that Priscilla was always a "fast cars" kind of girl.

In any case, what the ritual does is basically give Priscilla a supercharged version of what Vixen normally gets when she copies an animal's power. My take isn't that Vixen literally becomes as strong or fast or gain slightly scaled up versions of the animals she copies. What she's basically doing is gaining a mystically upgraded version of those abilities, as if she had become the mystical avatar of that animal species. So if she accesses the power of a Monkey, she basically gains Spider-Man level strength, agility and wall crawling. If she taps into a Gorilla, she loses some speed and agility, but gets upgrades to Class 50 strength and toughness. If she accesses an Elephant, she gains Thing-level strength and toughness, as well as some additional weight. And if she goes Cheetah, she gains Quicksilver level superspeed, along with claws and such. I'd say that when Animal Man does his thing, he gains similar levels of power.

What using the amulet as part of that ritual does to Priscilla is that she gains an even more advanced version of what Vixen normally gets. She gains Spider-Man style agility, strength and toughness, but she also gets enhanced senses, a healing factor, claws and legit near-Flash levels of speed. She's actually faster than Wonder Woman, her claws are sharp enough at that speed to shred Diana's skin, and she's strong and tough enough that the hits Diana does land won't one-shot her (this is using my own take on Diana's powers, which I'll get into later). She's someone who would be a holy terror to a lot of superheroes, this dangerous combo of the Flash, Spider-Man and Wolverine.

Priscilla's MO then is to prove her superiority to Wonder Woman by humiliating and killing her, gaining access to more power, mythic artifacts, knowledge, wealth, etc. She'd be the type to try and find the Teeth of Cadmus so she could have her own army of soldiers, or steal Hephaestus' golden mechanical servants to have them craft all kinds of stuff for her. Meanwhile she's careful to make it difficult for Diana to ever pin her down legally, and perhaps use her lawyers to rule that any evidence gained via Diana's Lasso of Truth is inadmissible in court.

This would explain why Diana doesn't simply go to trials and use the Lasso on criminals, and why she can't do things like Lasso people and get them to confess their sins on national television. There'd be legal president that'd get Diana sued to oblivion. Plus I'd showcase that what questions Diana asks can unintentionally twist the answers she receives. Like, early in her career, I'd have Diana go after a man suspected of killing his wife. She'd lasso him, and in her anger would ask, "Don't you feel responsible for your wife's death?" to which the man would answer "Yes", which is enough for Diana. Only later it turns out the man was innocent, but felt responsible for her death because he feels he didn't do enough to protect her. If she had asked "Did you murder your wife" he would have answered "No". It would showcase why the Lasso, while useful, has to be used carefully and with an open mind, asking the right questions so that you don't get the answers you want rather than the truth.

In any case, following the first adventure with the Cheetah, Diana would return the amulet to the family it originally belonged to, namely Vixen, who would then learn the power it has and become a hero in her own right.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:19 pm Her claws, whilst not particularly high damage (1 STR-based damage), I notice aren't represented in your build. They also posed a bit more of a threat to Diana due to her relative softness to sharp and ballistic weapons.
Ah, I don't think that was listed in any of her bios. I hadn't searched for pics until I was ready to post it, so I missed that.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

scc wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:45 am I did a build of the Bronze Age Cheetah some time ago. Though Who's Who and DC Heroes RPG do not give her superhuman strength it seemed like she might get some when she is angry. She was able to punch through armored plexiglass using her strength and martial arts prowess. She also had chrome plated claws. And here is a good pic of her:
Yeah, I got some mixed signals from the bios I read; she was such a short-lived character her appearances should have been easier for bio-writers to sort through, but I got this indication that she was just MUCH better in combat than "some brainwashed chick" should be.
Davies

Post by Davies »

I actually think the Cheetah may work better as Diana's Joker or her Green Goblin. Priscilla Rich isn't a nice person, but she'd never hurt anyone physically, and she meets Diana while supporting some of the same charities. When her envy of Wonder Woman overpowers her reason, though, she becomes able to tap into the same inner strengths that the Amazons have learned to use, making her Wonder Woman's peer in strength and superior in speed -- which asserts the notion that any woman can be a wonder woman if they really want it, while at the same time pointing up that it's her morality that makes Diana a hero, not her power -- but combining that with completely unpredictable ferocity that makes her a danger to everyone around her. And when Priscilla reverts to normal, she has no idea what just happened, and is an innocent deserving of protection, and who will be harmed if the Cheetah is harmed.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:44 am

Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gene Colan

-Captain Wonder has powers nearly identical to Wonder Woman's, but he has superior flight and might be even stronger. He also wore Bracelets, but it's not clear if they had similar powers to WW's, since nobody shot at him. He was also able to take control of both her Invisible Plane & Golden Lasso (probably a Complication for her). As more or less solidified Ectoplasm that had to be directed by others, Captain Wonder has no personality or Mental Abilities of his own, and is merely a receptacle for someone else.
Thanks, Davies!
Put Steve Trevor's base Mental stats on him and he'd be a decent Elseworlds Hero(possibly even a decent foil to Super-Lois from Dark Multiverse). I'd personally remove the Lasso & bracelets, but that's just me.... :D
Again, you want the Patriot from WW #174 (vol. 1)
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:57 am
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:44 am

Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gene Colan

Thanks, Davies!
Again, you want the Patriot from WW #174 (vol. 1)
I don't think Jab wrote him up though...
Jabroniville

The Cheetah (Male)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CHEETAH IV (Sebastian Ballesteros)
Created By:
Joe Kelly & Phil Jiminez
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #170 (July 2001)
Role: Animal-Powered Super-Villain, Curiously-Sexy Beast-Man
Group Affiliations: None
PL 11 (177)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+11)
Athletics 8 (+18)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Business) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 5 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Agile Feint, Benefit 3 (Wealth), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 4, Improved Hold, Languages 1 (A Few), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 8 (500 mph) [8]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
"Spotted Coat" Enhanced Skills 6: Stealth 6 (+12) (Flaws: Limited to Within Forests or High Grasses) [2]
"Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Cheetah Claws +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +22

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Wonder Woman)

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 10 (177)

-Curiously, when Phil Jiminez was in control of Wonder Woman, the role of Cheetah was briefly filled by this rather outrageous, somewhat-sexualized furry-man- an Argentine businessman. Basically, it was a male take on the already sexualized FEMALE Cheetah, but it was kinda funny to me. I actually considered him a Sabretooth rip-off at first, because he had the same "fur collar", but now he just looks like Jiminez adding what he thought was hot to the character, same way straight male artists always did at the time, so whatever :).

-This guy, Sebastian Ballesteros, was the agent and lover of Circe- Diana's big rival. He appeals to the ego of Urzkartaga and gains the Cheetah powers for a time, then turns Diana's old friend Vanessa Kapatelis into the third Silver Swan. Eventually, Barbara Minerva fights to regain the poweros- she is temporarily the host for Tisiphone the Fury, but fails... then I guess kills Sebastian OFF-PANEL because the next writer was like "This is f*ckin' dumb" or whatever.

-Meh- PL 11 version of the Cheetah with some business skills.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
scc

Post by scc »

I believe this guy took out Superman at one point. I can't remember the story exactly. Perhaps he was empowered by Circe. That being said he definitely became weaker over time.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

scc wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:24 pm I believe this guy took out Superman at one point. I can't remember the story exactly. Perhaps he was empowered by Circe. That being said he definitely became weaker over time.
That was a case of "New Villian Stink" though, so his "depowering" makes a lot more sense to me...
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:27 pm
scc wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:24 pm I believe this guy took out Superman at one point. I can't remember the story exactly. Perhaps he was empowered by Circe. That being said he definitely became weaker over time.
That was a case of "New Villian Stink" though, so his "depowering" makes a lot more sense to me...
Quite true. he never seemed more powerful than the Barbara version, and in fact weaker as she killed him.
Jabroniville

Osira

Post by Jabroniville »

OSIRA
Created By:
Martin Pashko & Alan Brennert
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #231 (May 1977)
Role: Hypnotist Queen
Group Affiliations: None

-Osira debuted in 1977, but as a foe for the Golden Age Wonder Woman. She is an alien who encountered Egyptians, and became worshipped as one of their gods along with her husband Hefnakhti. With hypnotic powers, she quickly took control of major civilizations, but a wise priest realized the cost to free will would be too great. The two were trapped in a pyramid for hundreds of years, reawakening in 1942 during World War II- errant tank blasts broke the enchantments blocking the pyramid, and Osira escaped- her husband had apparently died in a past escape attempt. She attempts to take control of the world again, but Diana opposed her this time. Osira turns Steve Trevor and the JSA against her, but Diana wins and Osira is destroyed. She has appeared twice briefly in Pre-Crisis DC, but usually as a backgrounder, such as fighting Donna Troy during HER brief tenure as Wonder Woman.

-Osira primarily had the power of hypnotism.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.