Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Blue Snowman! Cheetah I-IV! Baroness Paula!)

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:57 am
Ken wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:53 am
Goldar wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:47 am What about Fausta Grables, the "Nazi Wonder Woman" played by Linda Day George? I liked her character as a female Nazi scientist type. Wasn't she based off of a comic chararacter?
After a few minutes of research... There was a Fausta Grables in the comics. Well, comic: Comic Cavalcade #2. Single issue appearance. Not sure how related the comic and TV version are, but I guess the TV people did enough research to get the name at least.
Ah so, thanks for the confirm Ken, I thought I remembered Fausta in an old WW comic.

So yes, I guess we need the TV WW Fausta Grables Nazi WW profile and Formicida too, just to round things out! :P
And, having found a copy of Comic Cavalcade #2, and read the Wonder Woman story... The TV people were definitely referencing that comic story. It's far from a direct adaptation, but many of the broad strokes, including the two women masked , competing at a war bond rally, are in the comic story.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:10 am
Ken wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:53 am
After a few minutes of research... There was a Fausta Grables in the comics. Well, comic: Comic Cavalcade #2. Single issue appearance. Not sure how related the comic and TV version are, but I guess the TV people did enough research to get the name at least.
Ah so, thanks for the confirm Ken, I thought I remembered Fausta in an old WW comic.

So yes, I guess we need the TV WW Fausta Grables Nazi WW profile and Formicida too, just to round things out! :P
And, having found a copy of Comic Cavalcade #2, and read the Wonder Woman story... The TV people were definitely referencing that comic story. It's far from a direct adaptation, but many of the broad strokes, including the two women masked , competing at a war bond rally, are in the comic story.
It is good to know my poor old mem'ry ain't so poor after all, lol!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I've never watched the 1970s show so I won't be doing any builds from that, sorry.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Giganta! The Blue Snowman! The Cheetah!)

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:53 am
Davies wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:07 am The story also tied into the Isis comic that DC was publishing at the same time.
Yeah, it's kinda wierd how better DC's continuity was at the time than Marvel's. I wonder what happened to change it?....
LOL, didn't 1950s DC just re-use story concepts over and over again because they figured the fandom had grown out of the comics and so they were "fresh" again? They certainly weren't better at it THEN. Marvel actually had pretty tight continuity for a long time, since there were only a handful of books at one point, and Mark Gruenwald kept things solid for ages. It's just in the past 30 years that both companies kinda went all "we forgot to check the last story" and guys kept un-dying.
Jabroniville

Minister Blizzard

Post by Jabroniville »

MINISTER BLIZZARD I-III (Golden Age, Silver Age & Post-Crisis)
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & Harry G. Peter
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #29 (May 1948)
Role: Ice Controller
Group Affiliations: None

-One of the very first ice-powered people in comic books, Minister Blizzard is a now-forgotten Wonder Woman foe from the Golden Age. In his debut, a Professor Chemico from Holliday College creates a climate-changing machine- he decides to turn the North Pole into a warm, fertile area, but runs afoul of Queen Snowina of Iceberg-Land, who is all pissed because she thinks this machine will wipe out her civilization. Her advisor Prime Minister Blizzard is all "I'll steal it!", and he traps the Holliday Girls in a block of ice. Wonder Woman frees them, but Blizzard uses the machine to attack New York- Snowina is horrified and tries to stop him, but he captures her as well. In the end, WW makes peace with Snowina and saves all of the hostages- Blizzard is taken into custody. The machine, of course, is completely forgotten about. Probably for the best, given what we know about what thawing out the North Pole would ACTUALLY do...

-Minister Blizzard does not reappear again until WW #162, icing over the city with a weapon he himself created. WW is captured with her own lasso and the villain tries to steal Manhattan Island, but WW creates a diversion to get him to drop the lasso- Blizzard's forces are destroyed. He later reappears in JLA with The Icicle & Captain Cold in a natural team-up to freeze a small South American country... thus being the perfect diversion for the Justice League, allowing them to stage a crime spree in Gotham City. They are ultimately captured by WW, Flash, Green Arrow & Black Canary, and the mastermind is revealed to be the Shadow Thief.

-There is also a POST-CRISIS Minister Blizzard- a "radical environmentalist bent on invoking another Ice Age", he teams up with Circe, Hercules, Cheetah, Silver Swan, Giganta & Angle Man... to do what, I have no idea. Bizarrely, he's in both the New 52 AND Rebirth, both in minor roles.

-Minister Blizzard varies a bit from version to version- in the original he's just a politician using the gear of others (so... probably lots of Deception), while the Silver Age and later versions are all "Some guy with an Ice Gun".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:20 am

I've never watched the 1970s show so I won't be doing any builds from that, sorry.
Awww dang. (Walks away sad.......)
sirjolt

Post by sirjolt »

I loved TV Wonder Woman; I still have all 3 seasons on DVD. She can't fly but would have a few ranks of superleap. Her strength is probably in the 9-10 range (really strong but still way below what Thing or She-Hulk can do). Her biggest drop is her damage mitigation; in the TV she doesn't have any outside of her bracelets. She's vulnerable to anything a human is vulnerable to (e.g. guns, knives, gas, etc.).
Spam

Post by Spam »

Worst part about the plan to make the North Pole warm and fertile is that there is no land under the ice.
Jabroniville

Nubia

Post by Jabroniville »

lol for most of my life I was like "Wonder Woman's Black Twin Sister? LOLZ!" but now I'm like "HELL YES, MOMMY!"

NUBIA
Created By:
Robert Kanigher & Don Heck
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #204 (Jan. 1973)
Role: Wonder Woman's Black Twin Sister, Iconic '70s Goofball Character
Group Affiliations: Themyscira
PL 14 (221)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (History) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Mythology) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Military) 4 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Treatment 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignore Damage For 1 Round With HP Spent), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Redirect, Takedown 2

Powers:
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Flight 6 (Quirks: "Air Currents" So Maybe It Doesn't Always Work Right -1) [11]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Senses 2 (Extended Vision & Hearing) [2]

"Magic Sword of Mars" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10)
Immunity 2 (Wonder Woman's Lasso) (2)
-- (12 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Sword +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +16, Fortitude +16, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Paradise Island)- Amazons are beholden to the laws of Themyscira- men are forbidden from setting foot there.
Power Loss (All Powers)- Amazons might lose Immortality or other powers if left off of Paradise Island for too long.

Total: Abilities: 120 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 49 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 9 (221)

-The humorously-named Nubia was an iconic aspect of the silliness of the 1970s, when a lot of characters suddenly started picking up Black Best Friends and the like. I mean, Wonder Woman's BLACK TWIN SISTER? This brings her right back to the "Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl & Wonder Tot" years in terms of goofy gimmick covers and bizarre storyline twists. And THIS is DC's first black female supporting character- Bumblebee of the Teen Titans is the first true superhero in that demographic.

-Nubia debuts by fighting Diana, declaring that one will be the "True Wonder Woman" before departing. And then a Retcon is established- Hippolyta had crafted TWO babies from clay, one dark and one light! Both are brought to life by the Gods, but Mars, God of War, abducts baby Nubia, leaving Hippolyta with only the pale child, Diana. Nubia is thus raised by Mars as his weapon of destruction against the Amazons, and they stage an attack on Paradise Island- WW arrives and recognizes the ring of Mars on Nubia's hand- she manages to tear the ring off, breaking his mind control, and Nubia becomes an ally. Mars flees and the "sisters" are reunited. She doesn't appear to show up THAT often, and seems to disappear after a period of time.

-Honestly, the whole "I have a black twin sister named NUBIA" thing is exactly what people used to make fun of DC for- very clumsy cases of inclusion and "See? We're HIP and WITH IT!". However, this same clumsiness has actually led to a weird pop cultural recurve where now this appears quaint and empowering, and the character's popped up in Multiverses, a Scooby Doo crossover, and is now getting a Young Adult novel being written about her. Because "Nubia" was empowering in both the 1960s era and the modern one, but silly in between.

-Nubia in the Bronze Age is pretty much on Wonder Woman's tier, as they're twin sisters, but lacks the gear and much of the experience. So she still ends up a PL 13 character unarmed, but gains the Sword of Mars, which can counteract Wonder Woman's Lasso (I guess being immune to disarm attempts or whatever).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Cheetah I-IV! Baroness Paula! Nubia- The Black WW!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Also, HELL YES:

Cutiepiesensei is the cosplayer in the bottom one: https://www.reddit.com/user/cutiepiesensei
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

One of the things that always baffled me was that, when the Bana-Migdal tribe was introduced Nubia was nowhere to be found. I can imagine that there was of kind of editorial mandate not to use her after Crisis (just like Kara Zor-El or any other Kryptonian except Superman). Still, the concept was too much of a perfect fit not to use.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm Image

Cutiepiesensei is the cosplayer in the bottom one: https://www.reddit.com/user/cutiepiesensei
Cutiepiesensei said time and again that this particular costume wasn't meant to be Nubia but Diana. Apparently , everybody assumes that she must be Nubia for rather obvious reasons and she's kind of pissed about it.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:48 pm
Cutiepiesensei said time and again that this particular costume wasn't meant to be Nubia but Diana. Apparently , everybody assumes that she must be Nubia for rather obvious reasons and she's kind of pissed about it.
Yeah, she's always dealing with stuff like that from what I can see ("Hey, isn't Katara based off of the Inuit?")- obviously this outfit was more meant to be "black Wonder Woman" than "Nubia, the black Wonder Woman" but it's relevant enough that I posted it here :).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm Image

(Not paying attention to the Comments AT ALL).....huhwhut?
Jabroniville

Nu'Bia

Post by Jabroniville »

NU'BIA
Created By:
Doselle Young & Brian Denham
First Appearance: Wonder Woman Annual #8 (1999)
Role: Hot Amazon
Group Affiliations: Themyscira
PL 9 (168)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (History) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Mythology) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Treatment 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment (Spear/Sword +2), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Spear or Sword), Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Movement 1 (Hades) (Flaws: Source- Armor) [1]

"Cold Sight" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed, Hindered & Impaired/Stunned, Defenseless & Disabled/Transformed to Stone & Unaware) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Extra Condition +2, Continuous +3) [56]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 25)
Swords & Stuff +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Gorgon Glare +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Paradise Island)- Amazons are beholden to the laws of Themyscira- men are forbidden from setting foot there.
Power Loss (All Powers)- Amazons might lose Immortality or other powers if left off of Paradise Island for too long.
Relationship (Ahura Mazda)- The God of Light helps out Nu'Bia, and the two become lovers.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 11 (168)

-Nubia was one of many established Wonder Woman characters not brought over into the Post-Crisis world created by George Perez, and with good reason, so she disappeared for a long time. It wasn't until 1999 that a newer creative team brought in a character called "Nu'Bia", a deliberate reference to the old character. She announces that she once won the same tournament Diana later did, but her "prize" was guarding Doom's Doorway beneath Paradise Island, facing the demons of Hell from the inside. However, Nu'Bia was assumed to have died in the process- instead, she reveals that she'd become the lover of Ahura Mazda, the Zoroastrian God of Light, and aided the Gorgons, gaining the power to turn beings to stone. Later, the demon Ahriman murdered Ahura, and she won back his heart and returned to Hell to revive her beloved.

-Nu'Bia is more or less an Elite Amazon with an extra power- the "Gorgon Glare".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.