Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Doctor Psycho

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:26 am -... huh. This guy was a Marston original? I had no idea he went back that far.
There've been long breaks between his appearances, but yeah, this f--<ahem> fellow and the Cheetah are Diana's two most enduring human foes. DC Fandom gives his Golden Age incarnation two appearances (plus two that are rectonned in in the late 70s) and his Silver Age incarnation a total of ten appearances, with a fourteen year break in the middle of them, then four years between the reboot and his first post-Crisis appearance.

Also, he features heavily as an ally-turned-antagonist in the Harley Quinn animated series, where he is presented as the minor menace your summary would suggest. I'm not sure what the creators of that were thinking in having him as even a temporary ally ...
Now to be fair to the little Creeper's abilities, he IS one of DC's 5 Smartest people.....I'd still use his head as a Soccerball for how much of a Creepo he is, but there you go...
Jabroniville

Cyborgirl

Post by Jabroniville »

CYBORGIRL (LeTonya Charles)
Created By:
Phil Jiminez
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #179 (May 2002)
Role: Distaff Counterpart (to Cyborg)
Group Affiliations: None

-Cyborgirl is a female version of Cyborg- an ex-drug addict who ruined her body with Tar. Her aunt, a scientist who helped repair Cyborg, saved her life by giving her cybernetic implants. "Cyborgirl" was disgusted by her new body, and used her powers for personal gain at first, joining Villainy Inc. She helped them invade Skartaris, but was beaten by Wonder Woman. She later pops up as a backgrounder in many "Villain Army" scenes. So it looks like she was a one-off Phil Jiminez creation who later writers just figured they'd ignore.

-Cyborgirl had super-strength, durability, and "several offensive weapons".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Sofia Constantinas

Post by Jabroniville »

SOFIA CONSTANTINAS
Created By:
Dan Mishkin & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #297 (April 1982)
Role: Terrorist
Group Affiliations: None

-Sofia was an agent of Aegeus, but when she chased Steve Trevor to a cave on Paradise Island, she was confronted by an image of Athena, who convinced her that Aegeus was power-mad. Sofia has a change of heart and turns on Aegeus, then requests sanctuary on Paradise Island. She lives there and learns Amazon ways, but is still distrustful and defiant- when she discovers that Queen Hippolyta is hiding information of Steve's past lives (he'd been killed a couple of times and was now from another dimension), she is shocked by the hypocrisy and goes to tell Diana, who renounces her home just as Sofia sees the compassion and community of the place, and decides to rededicate herself. She was mistrusted by some Amazons, who felt that Hippolyta was ignoring them on her behalf, but their coup was thwarted by the Crisis on Infinite Earths- Sofia has never reappeared.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Artemis! Dark Angel! Maxwell Lord! Dr. Psycho!)

Post by greycrusader »

Huh. Dr. Psycho's original power-set is WAY more interesting than making him a generic psychic with the typical mind control/telepathy/mental blast abilities. Obviously DC has far fewer such villains than Marvel, and does have a place as a particularly loathsome kind of villain in their universe, but no longer almost unique.

If I was writing the character, I'd go back to a more occult-based bad guy, one who invents tech that lets him amplify his limited psi-powers. Dr. Psycho should be a weird, insidious sociopath-altering memories, creating ectoplasmic constructs, dream manipulation, and other almost horror-style talents. His mind control would only work one-on-one, but he can tap other humans for extra psychic strength, so the more people he controls, the more he CAN control. I'd keep the misogyny, though he'd have a general disdain for everyone who isn't him. He'd definitely be the kind of creep even other super crooks really dislike (sort of like how Empath from the Hellions was despised by his own fellow Hellfire Academy students).

All my best.
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Artemis! Dark Angel! Maxwell Lord! Dr. Psycho!)

Post by Sidney369 »

greycrusader wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:43 pm Huh. Dr. Psycho's original power-set is WAY more interesting than making him a generic psychic with the typical mind control/telepathy/mental blast abilities. Obviously DC has far fewer such villains than Marvel, and does have a place as a particularly loathsome kind of villain in their universe, but no longer almost unique.

If I was writing the character, I'd go back to a more occult-based bad guy, one who invents tech that lets him amplify his limited psi-powers. Dr. Psycho should be a weird, insidious sociopath-altering memories, creating ectoplasmic constructs, dream manipulation, and other almost horror-style talents. His mind control would only work one-on-one, but he can tap other humans for extra psychic strength, so the more people he controls, the more he CAN control. I'd keep the misogyny, though he'd have a general disdain for everyone who isn't him. He'd definitely be the kind of creep even other super crooks really dislike (sort of like how Empath from the Hellions was despised by his own fellow Hellfire Academy students).

All my best.
He was well written in the Perez run, in my opinion. He could affect the perceptions of others, giving the stories that he was in a horror-like feel. His mind control was based off of emotional manipulation rather than telepathy, and he struck at Wonder Woman through her friends (poor Vanessa). And I can't think of any uses of him between when Perez left and Villains United, where he became just an evil telepath, as I assume he was easier to write his powers as.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Ares

Post by Jabroniville »

ARES, GOD OF WAR (aka Mars, Ares Buchanan)
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & Harry G. Peter
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #1 (Oct. 1941)
Role: Master Manipulator
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 15 (340)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 9 (+14)
Expertise (History) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Military) 12 (+16)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+12)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 8 (+13)
Perception 6 (+11)
Persuasion 8 (+13)
Technology 4 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Artificer, Benefit 5 (God of War), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Magic Weapons) 2, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Startle, Well-Informed

Powers:
Power Lifting 5 (12,000 tons) [5]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease) [3]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) (Flaws: Source- Hatred & Bloodshed for the Last 4 Ranks) [9]
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]
Comprehend 3 (Languages) [6]

Teleport 12 (Extras: Accurate, Easy, Extended) (60) -- [63]
  • AE: Godly Blast 16 (32)
  • AE: "Random Powers" Variable 6 (42)
  • AE: Movement 2 (Dimensional Travel 2) (4)
"Magical Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 8) (10 points)

"Magical Weapons" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+16 Damage, DC 21)
Weapons +12 (+18 Damage, DC 28)
Godly Blast +12 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +16 (+18 Armor), Fortitude +16, Will +12

Complications:
Motivation (War & Worshippers)- Ares wishes to further conflict across the globe, and add more to his list of worshippers.
Enemy (Wonder Woman)- As an emissary of peace, Wonder Woman is chief among those Ares wishes to annoy.
Power Loss (Godly Might)- Ares loses power if there is no war or conflict in the world.

Total: Abilities: 136 / Skills: 80--40 / Advantages: 30 / Powers: 120 / Defenses: 14 (340)

Ares/Mars- Bringer of War:
-Ares, much like in most fictional accounts, is depicted as a villain in the DC Universe, but here he's much more clever than the brutish dude you often see elsewhere. He debuted as Ares in the Golden Age, but swiftly changed his name to Mars and retained that name all the way until 1987, at which point George Perez reimagined him as the helmeted "Dark Lord" type of character, now being the signature villain of Wonder Woman. He's a natural opposition for Diana, of course- she represents peace and reformation, while he represents constant war. In the Golden Age, he was opposed by Aphrodite (here a more benevolent Goddess), who molds the Amazons from clay to espouse her philosophies. From his base on Mars, he rules over a race of super-beings and frequently schemes against Paradise Island. His agents, the Duke of Deception, Earl of Greed & Count of Conquest, all attempted to scheme to help the Axis Powers during World War II but failed. He reappears many times during this and later eras, at one point taking a role during the "De-Powered Wonder Woman" phase, and turned one of his descendants into the first Silver Swan. In his final story before the Crisis, he allied with Hades and the Anti-Monitor against the other Gods, but Hades's wife Kore (Persephone) appealed to him, leaving Mars alone.

Post-Crisis Ares:
-And so Perez takes over WW, and Ares is now this hidden-faced, helmeted figure, again constantly scheming. He still hated the Amazons, as they were Aphrodite's creations, and used Hercules against them in the past, but Diana foiled his attempts at causing World War III by using the Lasso of Truth to prove to him that this holocaust would leave him with no worshippers at all. Convinced, Ares drops his plan, but promises to return should Diana fail to "save mankind from themselves". He recurs throughout the series in a variety of roles, such as taking over Air Buchanan, a low-level crimelord, and renaming him "Ares Buchanan", getting rich selling high-tech weapons to gangs. He & Circe, WW's other key foe, have a child named Lyta, but he is cruel to Circe and betrays her- she uses the last of her strength to exile him. He, Aphrodite & Athena ruled Olympus for a time (as Love & War always continue, while the other Gods faltered), but he jumped at the chance to take over Hades' realm instead.

-Later, he began acting as a dark advisor to Cassie "Wonder Girl" Sandsmark, giving her a Lasso that channels Zeus's thunderbolt, and finally abducts Lyta from Circe. He creates the murderous Genocide from Diana's dead body (from the future) and then leads an army against Paradise Island, but then in something that reads as very peculiar, Diana realizes it's him, grabs a battle-axe, and one-shots him with it before he can gloat. Like, that seems highly anti-climactic and "why didn't you do that before?", but I dunno- I didn't read it. The character's schemes apparently continue after his death, but he doesn't reappear until the "New 52", which establishes him as "War", a grizzled old man who is a dark advisor to Diana in this strange new continuity where the Gods are horrific entities.

-Overall, Ares is... a guy. I dunno, I've barely read any stories featuring him. He comes off as a bit like Loki in the Thor books- more of a manipulator than a front-line fighter, which is odd given how mythology treats him.

The Powers of War:
-Ares is extremely powerful- a notch better that Wonder Woman, and a master manipulator and a crafty behind-the-scenes guy, meaning he's smart, versatile, and dangerous. This makes him ENORMOUSLY expensive. I threw in "Variable" beacuse he's one of those guys who just has lots and lots of powers- DC Adventures adds even more than I do, but I couldn't even find "Can shoot energy blasts" in any online bios, but there you go. DC bio writers suck, lol.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
catsi563

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dark Angel! Maxwell Lord! Dr. Psycho! Ares!)

Post by catsi563 »

I dunno I can see Ares evolve as war evolves. in the middle ages when a sword and a good sword arm were all you needed hed be a front line fighter leading humankind into an endless battle revelling in the fall of troy or the battles at agincourt.

As war evolved and added firearms and ships and planes and tanks hed become more of a general urging on both rommel and patton and cheering the devestation at stalingrad as russian soldiers marched into the meat grinder

i think hes one of the gods whod have been Shocked at the introduction of the atomic bomb and then horrifed at it. for him war is everything and now here comes this WMD that can basically end large scale war in one shot. I actually think hed be at the forefront of the anti nuclear movement as both a supporter and secretly or grudingly an allie of Athena in that matter.

then as the 70s and 80s came along hed find new wars in the board room of corporations and take overs and the small scale actual brushfire wars and such.

WWI remains his greatest acheivement just convince a few small nations of this or that and one assasinated archduke later the entire world is marred in the largest war in history.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
scc

Post by scc »

I personally love Are's character design, well at least the Post-Crisis version. It's a really awesome look.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Mars in the Golden Age

Mars in the Silver/Bronze Age

Mars on the Wonder Woman television programme
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Silver Swan I-III! Circe! Orana! Artemis!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 pm But Warners will never let Batman be without Robin for long. Never.
Truthfully, I've always felt that Bruce needs a Morality Chain, someone in his life who is dependent on him (so not Alfred) and not disposable (so not his many love interests) so as to not lost the plot in his pursuit of justice. I don't see Bruce as being the grim "all fighting crime all the time" person (to me, Adam West is still one of the best Batmans), but he does tend to throw himself into his work until all he can see is more problems to be solved.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Dark Angel

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 pm Image
Did they really need to include her gluteal fold?
FuzzyBoots

Re: Doctor Psycho

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Davies wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 am Also, he features heavily as an ally-turned-antagonist in the Harley Quinn animated series, where he is presented as the minor menace your summary would suggest. I'm not sure what the creators of that were thinking in having him as even a temporary ally ...
I actually enjoyed him in the Harley Quinn series as there was this element that he recognized he was a misogynist (and in that setting, where public perception actually seems to have an effect on how powerful you are, that severely hobbled him) and he kept trying to improve on that (while still being a villain), but kept falling back into old habits. It was relatable, in a way, because that's how humans are. It takes a lot of work to break a habit, and he's had decades of that habit being built up.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Silver Swan I-III! Circe! Orana! Artemis!)

Post by Ken »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:19 amI don't see Bruce as being the grim "all fighting crime all the time" person (to me, Adam West is still one of the best Batmans), but he does tend to throw himself into his work until all he can see is more problems to be solved.
"Milk and cookies, you say?" (turns to the fourth wall) "A man cannot live by crime fighting alone."

I agree with you. Though what I was saying before is how merchandise dictates story, not the other way around.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Duke of Deception

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DUKE OF DECEPTION
Created By:
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #2 (Sept. 1942)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Gods of War

-The Duke of Deception is one of the Golden Age Wonder Woman's earliest foes, and an agent of Ares. He uses illusions to spread falsehoods among humanity to create more wars. He also projects an attractive illusion of himself, much like Mastermind would later do in the X-Men books. He was central to Doctor Psycho first opposing Diana as well. He appears Post-Crisis as one of many villains serving Circe, and creates illusory copies of himself, but is ultimately beaten by Diana.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Earl of Greed

Post by Jabroniville »

THE EARL OF GREED
Created By:
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #2 (Sept. 1942)
Role: Forgotten Villain, Manipulator.
Group Affiliations: The Gods of War

-Less used than the Duke of Deception, this guy was your "Fat Roman Emperor" type of design, and tried to manipulated men to seek more riches.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.